Old 12-14-2009, 03:59 AM   #1  

Unhappy

H

Last edited by quietlioness; 09-09-2010 at 07:16 PM.
quietlioness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 04:22 AM   #2  

Hi Quiet,
First of all welcome to 3FC and congratulations on taking a step in the right direction. I know it can be very overwhelming, but try not to do it all at once. I started with one thing like giving up the drive thru. I vowed to never eat fast food again. At home the number one change I made was drinking a lot of water. I was terrible about not drinking water, now I'm almost up to 120oz. a day. My next thing was sodium, I just adore salt. That is something I stuggle with still with ocassional cravings. The main thing is not to try and do it all at once. Good luck to you and remember we're here for you.

Later - Learn

Last edited by learningtoliveagain; 12-14-2009 at 04:23 AM.
learningtoliveagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 04:29 AM   #3  

Me again Quiet, I just wanted to invite over to our POSITIVE UPLIFTING NOTIFICATION thread here on the 300+ Club. Each day we try to check in and talk about the positive things that went on that day, weather it be weight lose or a good day at work we want to hear about it. We're just a great group of friends and great listeners with a little advice thrown in.

Later - Learn
learningtoliveagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 05:49 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 294/286/200

Height: 5'9"

Good Morning Quiet,

I too am just starting this journey and I agree with learningtolive again, make a change and stick to it until it's habit and then start a new change. Focus on living healthier -- not just on dieting, the yo-yo stops here!

Blessings!
smitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 06:13 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 300+/275/150

Height: 5'8"

Hi I post on the 300+ thread, you're welcome to ask anything (almost, lol!) & someone will answer it. I find writing a list before shopping, even if it's just a quick midweek shop REALLY helps-I'm the queen of scattiness! It might help to decide a specific plan, whether calorie, fat, sugar controled or wholefoods-whatever. Keep a journal/diary of foods, feelings exercise everuthing, it helps. Take it one step at a time, you have a lot of things going on & making one change each day or week does make a difference, GOOD LUCK!!!!
xxxxxxsharon

Last edited by voodoo1; 12-14-2009 at 06:14 AM. Reason: 'e' key is sticking
voodoo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 06:54 AM   #6  

Height: 5'7"

Hi and welcome...I gave up soft drinks and started drinking lots of water a day. I also started by trying to get 10 min of exercise in 2 times a day to start with. I started out by counting calories and lost 90lbs and then hit a stumbling block and gained back 16lbs and now am close to 90lbs again.I am doing weight watchers at home. I also cut out bread and sweets at the start.I now eat 35calorie bread but limit it!
Glad your with us and feel free to post on the weekly threads..
dgramie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 06:59 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 348.5/T/185

Height: 5'9"

Welcome Quiet - you have received advice from the best of the best - there is much wisdom here.

Baby steps as you've already been told - Learn, Voodoo and Dgramie are inspirations to me.

Your post hit home with me - the evil drive thru. On September 4, 2007, I said no more drive thru - if I want fast food that's OK but I have to get out of the car and go inside to get it - I knew that wouldn't happen. It's now 27 months later and I have not hit a drive thru one time. And I'm over 90 lbs less than I was. That was not the only change I made but was my first step.

Don't try to change it all at once - you'll get overwhelmed and throw up your hands in frustration. Keep posting!
gggirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 08:05 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 351/286/140

Height: 5'6"

Quiet..

Welcome to the group. The best advise I can give you is don't try to change everything at once. Pick one thing..work on that for a while then pick something else. I am no nutritionish but I would think eating carrots over a candybar would be fine. For me..fast food and soda pop are my biggest problems. I have yet to stop drinking soda pop..but I drink much less then I use to..actually hardley at all. Is there a place you can walk? Try even just a brisk 10 min walk. If not get a DVD, I have Leslie Sansome, and try that.

I think when we try to change everything at once..we are setting ourselves up for failure. So try one thing at a time. It might be..ok only 2 glasses of soda today instead of 4 or five. THOSE are great accomplishments!

Also join us in the regular thread. We talk about everything. It is a great group of ladies
azcyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 11:32 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 340/278/170

Height: 5'5"

Hellooooo there and welcome!

We all struggle and we've all been there at that point where things seemed hopeless or just plain overwhelming. We all get where you are coming from and I love what CYN said about accomplishments. It might seem small, but you know those do add up.

I personally struggle with my weight loss and even recently gained 6-8 pounds. I'm now getting back to healing myself, because that is what it is healing inside and out, and I have to say that no matter how much a person struggles, no matter what size you are, no matter who you are...you are ALWAYS welcome here by everyone.

*HUGS*
Jacquie668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 12:21 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 385/385/230

Height: 6"1

I know exactly how you feel. I was just told that I have PCOS, and about 7 months ago I was told pre-diabetic and also suffer from depression. I am on all sorts of different meds.

I never know what to eat or buy because I feel everything I eat is bad, and that is why sometimes I don't eat all day. I know that is bad I just don't know what is healthy and what is not. Maybe we can talk sometime
Kady1202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 12:34 AM   #11  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

Welcome to 3FC!

My grocery store tip is to shop the outer ring of the market. Fresh meats, fresh fruits and veggies, and low fat dairy. There is very little that I buy from the regular market aisles. My personal opinion about people who say things like "fresh carrots are a no-no" have too much time on their hands and not enough in their lives to worry about! None of us got this way by eating carrots...

One book I really enjoyed that teaches you in very simple terms how to choose foods that are good for you is "You: On a Diet" by Drs. Oz and Roisen. So easy to understand and makes a ton of sense. None of it is fad advice. Just straight talk about what your body needs to be it's best.

Anyway, just wanted to say welcome and let you know this is a fantastic place for support!!!

Last edited by CLCSC145; 12-15-2009 at 12:35 AM.
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 06:57 PM   #12  
Taking care of me.

Welcome to 3FC!!

I mostly lurk around here except for the game threads.

I would say first, talk to your doctor about whatever steps you want to take to make sure what you want to do is safe for you.

Then like the others have said, take baby steps. I remember hearing Bob Green say that starting out with just a small amout of exercise is good. Then change your food gradually because the food is the hardest part.

A lot of the ladies here have posted what their foods plans were for like maybe a week. Maybe someone can provide you with links to take a look at some of those. I think it was CFMAMA who posted one that I printed out.

With all the different diet programs out there, it is easy to get overwhelmed. One plan bans pineapple while another encourages it; one says potatoes are ok while another says they are horrible. What's a lady to do? Take it one step at a time that's what. And come here often for support, inspiration, and a chance to encourage others.

Something I do: when I find a thread that really speaks to me I subscribe to it so I'll always be able to find it.

Right now my food plan is to start cooking; I currently eat out for at least 2 meals a day . Gotta stop that.
MoveMoveMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 09:34 AM   #13  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Height: 5'8"

Welcome! First off, you can do this. You can.

Many of us count something in order to lose weight. I think the majority who count, count calories using an online calorie calculator. Calorie counting = portion control. Others of us count fat, or carbs. I did Atkins the first year of this lifestyle change, so I counted carbs. There are plenty of great plans out there, I would suggest checking out a few and seeing which ones you think you can live with, then jump into it.

Some folks make small incremental changes, others of us do it all at once. The same thing doesn't work for everyone, but again, you know yourself and what works best for you.

Don't be overwhelmed! Keep it all in perspective--you're here for your life & health, and you'll do great. If you take a tumble (we all do now and then) just jump right back on AT ONCE, don't wait for "tomorrow." Best of luck!!
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 12:24 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 300/280/175

Height: 5'11"

I know how you feel. I have PCOS and Insulin Resistance , I have also had bouts of depression. I have been trying to have a baby for a year and no luck. It is frustrating. For me I had a hard time because when I get depressed I eat and I was depressed so I ate even though I knew it was the exact opposite of what I should be doing. One thing I have found that helps me is that I have searched and have found one form of exercise that I enjoy (for me it is the elliptical) and do that. If I enjoy it I do it longer and more often. I challenge myself to increase the time each week to build myself up. The funny thing is is that when I am exercising I watch what I eat a lot better. Also, I am surprised how upbeat you feel after you are done with a good workout. Just look for something you enjoy, trying walking your dog, or the treadmill, or the exercise ball, or pilates or yoga, bikes, there are so many things out there that could be fun. My doctor said to implement the exercise first and then change the food later. He said that once you are exercising a lot you will naturally do better with eating habits. I don't know if it is natural, but it helps. I wish you the best of luck!
IAmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 11:00 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 349/T/180

Height: 5'8

I completly understand what you are saying about going to the grocery store...I have forgotten how to eat healthy or actually I don't think I have ever really known how to. But after lurking around this forum for a few weeks (finally decided to join today) I have seen that there are so many supportive people here and I am beginning to think that having a support system is big part of success.
When I read your post I saw that we suffer from a lot of the same physical and emotional struggles...even though I wish it was something that we did not have to do, I am glad that we are not alone. Good luck and I know it can be done!
KTFaith05 is offline   Reply With Quote