Closed Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 08:02 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Default 300+ and Getting Fit after 40 #218

This thread is a sub-set of the 300+ thread.

This group is for those dealing with the challenges of having a significant amount of weight to lose and being fit which becomes harder after age 40. If you're an old or new friend and not over 40 and feel this is the place to post, jump right in.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:04 AM   #2  

Okay, I've HAD it. I'm done.
Done with the overeating and not writing down what I eat.
Done with not being accountable.
Done with it being okay to let the weight creep back on.

I'm now at 204. 30 pounds above my low weight. I don't like how I move. I don't love how I look in my clothes.

I am recommitting to healthy eating and lifestyle.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:30 AM   #3  

Smile Hello!

Good for you Heather! I know how you feel. I am dragging my feet and I don't like it either. I ate too many hot dogs and junk over the fourth. ARRRGGGHHH! No reason in the world to go off like that. You know it wasn't even that good.

I did stay away from the sugar though. humph, can't even feel good about that!

Today is mostly veggies. Take care, XO Ruth
Old 07-06-2009, 02:35 PM   #4  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

Isn't it amazing what a weekend of excess will do? I'm up six pounds again...two weeks to work it off and two days to put it back on! And there wasn't any alcohol involved either!

I have to go to my mother's for lunch today. I'm avoiding carbs today, and this is going to be tough. Not because she'll load me with carbs, but because even if I refuse one item, I get grilled over my choices. And it doesn't matter how many times I ask her to not talk to me about my food choices!

Am I working myself up into a lather? Probably.

Later, girls!

Georgia
Old 07-06-2009, 09:35 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 348.5/T/185

Height: 5'9"

Georgia - I'm with you! The ease with which the pounds go back on is unbelievable to me. I am up about 8 pounds with 3 days of poor choices. Today has been a good day, food wise, water wise and back to my formal exercise class - I can't believe how much stamina I lost in 2 weeks even with the strength training I continued to do.

Day one is under my belt - on to day 2.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:40 PM   #6  
Vortex

S/C/G: 330/see ticker/???

Well, I haven't been OP but I managed to lose a pound or two while moving apartments. So, I count myself lucky. And recommit to the program.

Go, go, go, Heather!

Ruth, I feel good because you stayed away from the sugar! WTG!

Georgia, I think we should put our mothers on an island somewhere together for a few weeks. Here's how I deal with the comments that I have repeatedly asked be refrained from: I have become the Queen of the Non Sequitur. When I'm able to pull it off, it works like this:

Mom (speaking about someone on TV): What a pig! How can she stand to go out in public with all those rolls of fat?!?!?

Me: I was thinking maybe I'd refinish that end table. What do you think?

OR

Mom: Aren't you going to do something with your hair before you go out?

Me: I can't forget I have a dentist appointment tomorrow.

OR

Mom: Don't you want to have some ice cream with me?

Me: It's supposed to rain tomorrow.

I don't ALWAYS manage to do this, but let me tell you, if persisted in, it works pretty well. Sometimes Mom will repeat herself, thinking I haven't heard her. I either respond with another non sequitur or say "I heard you but I don't have anything to say to that." It works pretty well. I'm thinking of trying it with my students in the fall....
Old 07-07-2009, 07:57 AM   #7  

Angela -- That's a great trick!!

I had a good day yesterday! Lots of walking, and managed to stay on plan eating wise. YAY!

Today will be tougher. We're going to a tapas restaurant, and it's hard to calorie count with that kind of meal. But I'll do the best I can. At the very least, I will track in my head each and every piece of food I eat. And I've got my exercise planned.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:38 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Morning ladies,

I'm working from home today. Or at least I will be sometime soon. I have my appointment with the ortho guy to talk about my knees.

I took my dead laptop to the Geek Squad yesterday. Good news it that the hard drive is still readable. He showed me how to put it into an external case so that I can access the files. They would have charged $50 just to do that. I have an external case but not a screwdriver small enough. I'll see about finding one today somewhere.

Okay, ladies, how are we going to get totally committed to leading a healthy lifestyle? The overeating is a clear sign that we're not making the permanent changes. Also, laying off the exercise is also a sign that we're not committed to putting our health first. I'm not saying that there are no hot dogs in our future, or birthday cake, or special occasions, but why are we still eating too much when we know we're eating too much?

At our ages, we need to be doing a a well rounded exercise plan that includes strength building, flexibility and cardio work. I know I'm not getting well-rounded exercise. I'm working physically hard at times but not enough. When I'm at home, I work hard but I sit too many hours a day at work. I told DH when I was off that if I worked hard like that every day, I wouldn't have a weight problem. What I'm doing at home isn't enough to offset all the sitting.

I better get this posted so I can finish installing some software. BBL!

to all!
Old 07-07-2009, 10:46 AM   #9  

Wink Right!

Terri, you are so right, we are not making the changes and sticking to them. BAH! We should be ashamed of ourselves.

At our age, holey moley, you are just a youngun! LOL! Wait until you are my age and hopefully a whole lot smarter and thinner than I will ever be. I don't know how I managed to get this old and still be super sized. it is STOOPID. Stupid, stupid!I know all of the right things to do...yes I do! I just ignore them at times. I could probably write a book on diets by now. Been on most of them. Lost a bunch, gained a bunch!

Well ladies I only dropped in to see what was going on. Need to get back to my ironing. UGH! Ta for now. XO Ruth
Old 07-07-2009, 11:14 AM   #10  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

Okay Terri, I'm committed to getting back on track...today I'm going to do the Wii Fit with my son. I'm going to charge up and put on my GoWearFit band again (haven't worn it in weeks!), and due to the carb/fat excesses over the weekend, I'm going South Beach for the week with lower carb, lower fat and lots of veggies. Plus, I'm back on track with only drinking water.

I actually lost three of the six pounds I gained as of this morning, so that's also helping me to stay motivated. Yesterday I really stayed faithful to myself, drank lots of water and the results are heartening.

Vortex, if our mothers were stranded on an island together, could it please be the island on Lost? Yesterday I successfully deflected her commentary, but then she played dirty and went after my 11-year-old. If I'm feeling retaliatory and am considering messing with her head, we can always just go over there when it's not meal time for a few weeks and refuse all her offers of food.

Georgia
Old 07-07-2009, 02:29 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 348.5/T/185

Height: 5'9"

Day one is under my belt and day two half over - it feels so much better why do we neglect to take care of ourselves.

Terri - yesterday was my first day back in my formal exercise sessions with my trainer - even though I worked my tail off around here the last two weeks I have lost so much stamina. Good luck with the ortho today - my knees are killing me from last night.
Old 07-07-2009, 03:37 PM   #12  

Great post, Terri. Why is it so hard to stay committed? Why are we self-destructive? People who blithely say "eat less, move more" don't understand how hard it is to work against your body, your instincts...

But I will work. It's too important.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:55 PM   #13  
BELIEVE!

Hey Gals! How are my favorite ladies doing tonight?

C'mon....YOU can do it! WE can do it! It's not always easy...food is yummy, it's so easy to make poor choices and sometimes difficult to make the healthy choices. PLAN, PLAN, PLAN! It's often difficult to find the time for exercise, but we know we feel better after we are done. Take the time to plan what you are going to to tomorrow. What are you going to eat? When are you going to exercise???

My hubby was sick today and on the couch most of the day. Don't get me started on how whiney he is when he's sick. Anyway, I did manage to get to the gym for a quick 30 min on the elliptical, but had to cut my time short to tend to the kids. Once everyone was in bed I decided to check out the exercise videos on Comcast. I did a 10 min abs video...it was tough! I enjoyed it and was proud of myself that even after my cardio I still wanted more. I need to organize my at home equipment for days like this.

Anyone want to share their plan? Favorite meals? Tips? Ideas? Let's discuss....maybe we can give each other idea.

A few things that have really helped me this week....

On Sunday I grilled up a bunch of chicken breasts, boiled eggs, bought fruits and veggies.

Each day I pack a little lunch bag with my snacks and meals. I often buy breakfast and lunch at work, but I make sure I know the night before what I am doing. Today I prepped my oatmeal and cooked it when I got to work. I had hard boiled eggs and a few pretzels for my mid-morning snack. I knew I was having lunch with a friend, but I reviewed the menu ahead of time and knew what I was ordering. Afternoon snack was fresh strawberries/blueberries.

Dinner was my favorite. I've been make stir-fries this week. It's a huge, healthy, yummy meal. Last night was: Chicken, lots of broccoli, onion, water chestnuts and thai sauce. I was out of broccoli tonight and used snap peas and peppers. A big plate of food for very low calories...and so YUM! I'm going to be hooked on stir-fries for a while.

For dessert tonight I tried grilling some bananas and pineapple. I like the flavor the bananas, but I think I prefer fresh pineapple. Well...I tried something new.

I now have to fast until an 11am doc appt tomorrow. So I won't be eating until noon or so. I've already planned on going to Ruby's Diner for their "Skinny Lunch". It's what I always get there....Turkey burger patty with fresh salsa, cottage cheese and fresh fruit. Yummo!

Tomorrow's exercise is a 2pm training session. After work tomorrow I am going to pick up the kids from daycare and take them to the pool. I will pack a picnic dinner with sandwiches, fruit and veggie sticks. I plan on reading my new "Health" mag while they play in the baby pool. I can't take them both in the big pool yet because neither swims in his own.

So...that's my plan. I've got to get ready for some shut-eye. I hope you all are having a restful and healthy night!

Barb
Old 07-08-2009, 07:30 AM   #14  

Height: 5'7"

I so needed to see that others are struggling also. I am cooking healthy meals and still not losing weight. I see the scale creeping down on hubby but up a little on me.I am not getting my exercise in. I am also eating baked chips daily. I have to stop eating them now!! Just use them a few times a week, time to cut up some veggies to go with my sandwich.
I am so veggie challenged when cooking for hubby. He wont eat anything except peas and corn and green beans and potatoes of course. He loves salads but has to only eat iceburg lettuce now because he is on coumdin. I never dreamed that garden veggies thickened the blood. I have been cooking squash often for myself. Im in a cooking rut!!!! LOL

We are in the middle of week 3 of work being done on the outside of the house.It will be awesome when they get it finished but its taking forever!!! He is still thinking another week or 2 to get it all finished up.GRRR

Hubby got the date for the heart cath and its next friday. They actually called wanting to do it this friday but cant get him off the coumdin fast enough to get it then.I noticed he was very aggitated after we got that phone call.I know he is scared. I sure am! I keep trying to tell myself they do them daily and they find problems and fix them before something bad happens.

Good news I get to keep my granddaughter tonight and tommorow night. I am excited!!
I always look forward to summer and not keeping kids daily. I am starting to think kids are what i do best and I have a much better routine when I have kids here. I have so many things i need to do this summer but here it is almost over and I have yet to do them. I had plans on painting and stuff but with hubby sick it just hasnt happened.
Time to go and pick the garden. I need to get a few cucumbers cut up in water to go with my lunch. WE CAN DO THIS!!!
HUgs to all and drink your water! ( I have been slacking on water also)
Old 07-08-2009, 08:32 AM   #15  

Barb -- You are so right about planning. That's one of the many things that have gotten less rigorous over the past few years. I'm sitting here now without even the proper foods in the house for lunch! I think I will run to the grocery store this morning to help facilitate my success!!
Closed Thread