Old 06-23-2009, 10:42 PM   #1  
☆krista-kins™☆

S/C/G: 314/ticker/150

Height: 5'6"

Unhappy Achy Feet...Shoe suggestions?

I have been working out for 7 weeks now and everyday its such a pain..in my feet that is..does anyone else have this problem? I have been researching online about how to fit a walking shoe etc...but I wanted to hear some of your favorite shoes for exercising. I hear Nikes are the worst because they are very narrow...but what about Asics, Adidas, Reebok, New Balance...etc.I have wide, chubby feet right now and honestly don't know where to start looking for a good comfortable shoe. Please Help!!
Inkedmama98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 10:53 PM   #2  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

I like New Balance. They are roomy and also come in wide widths and are quite cushy with good support.
happy2bme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 06:23 AM   #3  
banned

S/C/G: 190/114/125

Height: 5'3"

It all depends on your feet. I have a pair of old Nikes in a wide width that are comfortable as heck. I use them to cut grass now because the leather is all but gone from the toe area, LOL I also have an old pair of Danskin walking shoes that were really cheapo but they are wonderful for walking. New Balance is generally a good brand too. Years ago, when I was a letter carrier, I wore New Balance shoes when working. I never had sore feet and walked an 8 mile route daily.
TamiL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 07:13 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 348.5/T/185

Height: 5'9"

Personally I love my Pearl Izumis - but what you must do with as much as you are working out is go to a sports medicine store or somewhere they will videotape you walking on a treadmill, analyze your gait and interview you about your workouts. Oh - and measure your feet - this is the best money I ever spent - their shoes were a little higher but to not have aching feet it is well worth it.
gggirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 08:33 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

what carol said!

We go to a running store and have them properly fit shoes to our feet!! It's worth it.

If you wear your 'sneakers' a lot, you need to replace them fairly frequently they do wear down.

Also, do you have any pain when you first wake up in the morning?
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 09:14 AM   #6  
Anne

S/C/G: 407/358-Dec2007/tracker/125

Height: 5'4"

Definitely take the time and money to go to a proper store. Here in Canada we have a chain called The Running Room. When you go in they'll ask you what you're using them for (running, walking, general use) and have you walk across the room in your bare feet at least a couple of times. The first time I remember trying on about half a dozen shoes before we settled on some Saucony shoes, which are fantastic.

It's probably important for everyone, but most especially when you carry extra weight. You don't want to ruin your feet/knees/legs as you lose the weight. Oh, and you are taking a rest day at least once a week, right?
RealCdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 11:46 AM   #7  
☆krista-kins™☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather View Post
what carol said!

We go to a running store and have them properly fit shoes to our feet!! It's worth it.

If you wear your 'sneakers' a lot, you need to replace them fairly frequently they do wear down.

Also, do you have any pain when you first wake up in the morning?
I used to have foot pain when I woke up in the morning, it has been getting quite a bit better lately though
Old 06-24-2009, 05:47 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

You could have plantar faschiitis. see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plantar_fasciitis

I had that at a higher weight. Losing weight helped, but so did wearing shoes with good arch support ALL the time!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 08:01 PM   #9  
☆krista-kins™☆

Thank You all so much for your responses. I have been looking online for a good shoe store in town with no luck so Im going to have to spend a day there looking around to see what I can find.
Old 06-25-2009, 01:21 AM   #10  
Ironman in Training

S/C/G: 302/205/150

Height: 5'5

BTW don't rule something out just because you think it may be narrow. I wear Nikes, but they are a mens size for width. My Sauconys are also mens. I guess I just have wide feet.

Running store that can watch how you walk is always your best bet. If there isn't one close I'd try and make the trip if you can. I'd never be running at my weight w/o the proper shoes.
Idealmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 09:15 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 310/240/180

I know it's probably a little late but as an RN and a big girl I'm on my feet all day (12 Hrs). Brooks running shoes have saved my feet, their lightweight, airy and very comfortable!! Their the best running shoes I've ever had. You can get them at Finish Line and they have a bunch of different styles for you to try

P.S. They can seem pricey but if you get them on sale or even at full price once you wear them you'll never be able to go back.

Good Luck on your search for perfect running shoes!
aphimira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 10:04 PM   #12  
BELIEVE!

Another vote for finding a good store....likely a running store...that will fit you properly. I was wearing completely the wrong size. Many specialty stores will also exchange the shoes if they don't work for you. The first pair I got hurt the soles of my feet...I tried them for a week with no luck and they swapped them out for a different brand. I ended up with New Balance.
BarbPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 11:20 PM   #13  
☆krista-kins™☆

Thank you all so much for your responses! I am having a hard time finding a specialty store, I may have to take a trip to either Boise or Salt Lake City.
Old 07-03-2009, 08:39 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 340/278/170

I was lucky, I ordered my pair online because I wanted vegan shoes and I was equally lucky that the shoes normally cost around $100, but they were on a super sale because they were discontinued. Saying that, the fit wasn't that great when I was 340+ pounds, but now they fit really well. I took some advice from a friend and put in new insoles. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! Very comfy for what I use them for.

I do think it is worth the time and money to invest in a proper pair of shoes. I got my shoes maybe 5 years ago or maybe 6...I can't remember, but they have lasted this long and now with all my activity they are getting a run for their money, but are good. Insoles really helped as my arch is really high, so I needed a bit more support.

Another note is to try hot and cold therapy on your feet. You can soak your feet in hot water. I would soak in Epsom salt water and maybe put some tea tree oil or something in the water. I would also massage down from the shins, calves and then do my arches. Cold therapy, ie something icy cold that you can help massage your muscles with, can help with swelling or any pain as well as elevating your feet.

For me when I have achy feet it is right in the arch and I now just take the time to do some deep massaging techniques, I take my thumb and massage up and down and then do pulses by moving my thumb into the muscle more deeply. After awhile I can feel my feet relaxing.
Jacquie668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 08:47 AM   #15  
Escape from my fat suit

S/C/G: 290/210/130

I have short, wide feet. Saucony makes shoes for wide footed people. I bought mine at a running store. They are worth every penny.
better health3 is offline   Reply With Quote