Old 06-23-2009, 02:26 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 320/*ticker*/145

Height: 5'6"

Lightbulb Do visuals work to motivate you?

I was looking around for ideas for motivation, and I'm a very visual person.
I found this idea, I believe it was a WW thing, I'm not exactly sure, but all the weight loss participants would have lengths of ribbon representing how many total inches they've lost. Cute!

Does anyone have any unique visuals that help motivate you? And can you think of a time it has actually worked? For instance, you were sooo close to binging and then saw it and it actually pulled you back from the edge of that cliff? I'd be really interested to know how effective visuals actually are.
sakurasky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 08:27 AM   #2  

I don't have a physical 'visual' but I visualize in my head all the time. I imagine how I'll feel. I 'see' myself going through my daily activities minus the fat suit! Stuff like that.
bindersbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 09:20 AM   #3  

I am not sure if its a "visual" or not, but I keep a pair of pants and a top that are a size smaller than what I am in currently hanging on the back of my closet door as a reminder of where I am going and I try them on every couple of weeks and then when they fit, I buy a new one to hang there. Works for me!
Torister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 09:44 AM   #4  
no more hiding

S/C/G: 296/215/160

Height: 5' 5"

I have graph on the back of a door - I plot my weight every time it drops a pound or two. I like connecting the dots and watching the line drop down! I also have a chain of paperclips that has one clip for every pound lost. I don't know if they help or not, but I am trying every thing I can to stay on the path.
2behealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 09:57 AM   #5  
Just a fat guy losing it!

S/C/G: 343/312/220

Height: 6'1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2behealthy View Post
I also have a chain of paperclips that has one clip for every pound lost.

What a great idea!
Kootch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 10:58 AM   #6  
no more hiding

S/C/G: 296/215/160

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kootch View Post
What a great idea!
I can't take credit for it- I think I read it here someplace- the person said thier WW leader did this, gave them paperclips for the pounds they lost.

I made chains of ten each for the weight I need to lose that I have hanging where I can't see them and then as I lose I add to the chain I have of lost pounds and that hangs where I can see it frequently. It makes me feel good to see how long that chain is getting
2behealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 06:25 PM   #7  

That's a cute idea too! I'm actually starting to make a small scrapbook journal type thing with motivational quotes, goals, and inspiration.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:34 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 340/278/170

Height: 5'5"

I'm a visual person as well. Seeing pictures of successful people can motivate me, but sometimes I feel like I should branch out and revert back to my kid side and do something with stickers on a wall or something.

Something colorful like the paperclips idea. I would find that motivating as I could see my accomplishments and possibly celebrate them instead of second guessing them and comparing myself to other people. If that makes sense...
Jacquie668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 09:18 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 346/Ticker/150

Height: 5'7"

The mini Goal and Goal photos and posts here are awesome for that. Seeing that this is possible and it's possible to keep it off makes the journey not seem as insurmountable. I think the graph is good for your personal journey though. If you've lost x amount of weight/doing your exercise/eating on plan why screw that up with a binge that will just make you feel bad afterwards. But if you did slip for a moment don't let that stop you from keep going foward. Rome wasn't built in a day.
Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 12:09 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

I'm very visual, but not so much pictures. More numbers and plans and stuff.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 03:33 AM   #11  
I shall be released...

Height: 5'8"

I use Wii Fit to track my weight and those visuals are helpful, like seeing the numbers decrease on a chart.

Also, I am very motivated by before and after pictures, especially if I can find people with a similar height and starting weight as myself.
JustSharing83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 03:28 PM   #12  

I definately know what you mean. There's a show on Oxygen called the Secret Lives of Women, one of which was about women who lost a huge amount of weight, and I keep it on my DVR for motivation.
Old 07-02-2009, 03:46 PM   #13  
proud mama

S/C/G: S196.2/See Ticker/G135

I'm not a member of this support group so I hope you ladies don't mind me jumping in here. I am a very visual person and have a couple things I like to motivate me. One I learned in WW - sit in a chair and have someone hand you (or sit in your lap) a 5lb bag of sugar for everyfive lbs you've lost. It really motivates you just sitting there with that many bags of sugar representing how big 5lbs really is.

The other thing I did (my husband really liked this one LOL) I bought the sports illustrated swimsuit edition and a Rollingstones with Shakira in it. I cut out all the photos and taped them all over our refridgerator, so everytime I was about to go in for something bad, I had to look at those girls first. This one really helped me stay out of the ice cream.
wannabeskinnyagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 04:33 PM   #14  
Losing member!

S/C/G: 360/360/200

Height: 6'

I love viewing before/after photos of others. But the best source of a visual motivator for me is looking at old photos of myself. That always does the trick since the majority of my weight gain has been in the past few years.
txestella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 05:10 PM   #15  
Samantha

S/C/G: 200/159/150

Sometimes we get a visual when we least expect it. Today I was shopping at Lowe's Hardware and needed to pickup some birdseed for my bird feeder. The best bargain was a 40 pound bag. I tried to pick it up and about passed out. The thing is that when I began my weight loss journey, I had more than 40 pounds to lose. I can only imagine how carrying all of the weight around was affecting my life. For me this was a real visual.
Samantha100 is offline   Reply With Quote