Old 05-18-2009, 09:06 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 340/278/170

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misti in Seattle View Post
I was just reading... and plan to check out the book... about "The 9-Inch Diet" -- which really is not a diet but about the "pig out" portions currently popular in America. The guy was sharing about how he had moved into a 1940s house and his plates would not fit the cabinets. He did research and found that back then... and even into the 60s... a typical dinner plate was 9". Now they are 12"

I plan to get this book from the library. It sounded really interesting.
Have you ever watched that show Diners Drive-Ins and Dives? It is on the Food Network. I'll tell you that shows you the mentality of a lot of Americans when it comes to food. It amazes me how BIG the portions are. I mean omelets the size of a plate, pancakes stacked up and over flowing off of the plate, meat meat meat, everything fried and smothered in cheese and saucy things! ACK! Seriously, the food out there is enough to feed like a family and people eat that every day! I used to eat that junk...scary.

Raw food people call the American diet a SAD (Standard American Diet) Diet. :P I like that term and keep it with me always.
Jacquie668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 09:55 PM   #17  

Height: 5'8.5"

Hey, some great posts here... thanks for the input.

Mandalinn, I agree with you. We might lose the weight without exercising but to be healthy, hey, we gotta do it! But the key is finding something we enjoy. I was diagnosed with severe degenerative arthritis in my hip so am limited... but I spend hours in the pool and get a great workout AND enjoy it although I don't always want to do it of course, ha.

Jacquie, no I am not familiar with that show... believe it or not I don't have a TV because it just does not interest me all that much, ha. But yes! yes! yes! to what you say about the portions. They are ridiculous. When I go out to eat I nearly always order from the appetizer menu... and STILL generally have plenty to take home for at least another partial meal.

And have you noticed when people eat... now of course I try to do this discretely ha so as not to be rude... but next time you are in a restaurant glance around... people are shoveling HUGE mouthfuls of food into their mouths!! They could enjoy a small bite just as much. I am trying to really focus on taking small bites an taking the time to enjoy my food rather than just shoving it down, LOL. And yes all the JUNK people eat... LOL I used to eat that way too. I love your SAD term; got to remember that one, ha.
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote