Closed Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 08:47 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Default 300+ and Getting Fit after 40 #214

This thread is a sub-set of the 300+ thread.

This group is for those dealing with the challenges of having a significant amount of weight to lose and being fit which becomes harder after age 40. If you're an old or new friend and not over 40 and feel this is the place to post, jump right in.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:48 AM   #2  

Morning, all!

We built a raised bed this weekend! But I think I'm going to call a local extension office this morning for advice about where to buy the soil etc fill it. I'm a bit confused about what to put in it and in what proportions. Compost- - what kind? Add sand? Our soil is very clay-y but if I'm buying topsoil do I still need it??? I'm hoping their master gardener can help.

Does anyone here really get their soil ph tested? It seems to be all the rage but I really don't know how often it's a problem...

Rain here all day today... prolly just as well. I'm working from home and have a lot of grading to do, so maybe not having the distraction of yard work is a good thing...

How's everyone else this week?

Last edited by Heather; 06-08-2009 at 08:49 AM.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:15 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Morning ladies,

Survived another weekend warrior weekend. Barely. Sorry for not getting here to post. I didn't sit much at the computer all weekend.

Saturday was checkout the local saddle club's arena area to see about volunteering to mow. Which led to then looking for a flatbed trailer. Once home, it was time to mow at our place. I'm trying to get the front bank mowed with the string mower. Seems to be taking me forever and the weeds/grass keep growing. It will be much easier to maintain once the tall stuff gets down. However, it is good physical work and muscle building. And endurance building too. Now, to just get it down so its off my mind. After that, much napping and then more mowing. At least I wasn't eating!

On Sunday, we met up with DH's cousins and their friends for a trail ride. The mule people do long rides. We rode for 3-1/2 hours. Spanky did very well. It sure is interesting to watch mules on a trail ride because they are so deliberate and careful in how they handle ditches/creek crossings. I did have a little "incident" at the rest place. I admit that I can't get on Spanky without a step. He's too tall and my weight is too much. I was going to stand on a picnic table to get on which should have been fine if he had not acted like a jackass and kept moving away. So Bill was trying to hold him and placed him so that I had to stand on the top of the table. Which should have been fine except somehow I started on and didn't have my balance or something but went backwards which scared him and he pulled me off the top of the table down onto my knees on the ground. But hey, he didn't get away from me and run off or step on me. Dusted off my pride and we tried again. Nothing hurt at the time. I did notice some pain in my right knee on the way back but that didn't seem to be unusual considering it has hurt when riding before anyway. But by the time we were all loaded up and headed home, it started to hurt and has been very sore ever since. Its on the side of my knee; almost to the back. I've been having problems with what feels like fluid on that knee anyway but I didn't really need that! Guess Spanky and I will be working on the mounting situation diligently now.

This morning I called and finally got arrangements made to have x-rays done of my knees so we can assess how bad arthritus is and to determine the original cause of the possible fluid. This can also check to see if I damaged more yesterday. Also have a mammo and gyn this week. I hope to be good as new by Friday!

My lower back is also feeling a little out of whack today too. I guess I will keep a low profile this week and concentrate on cleaning house and getting a load of stuff for Goodwill on Saturday morning. I'll work on stretching and strength this week as well and cardio on the stationary bike if my knee can handle it.

Heather - We just called a landscaping company close to us and they brought in topsoil. We didn't do the compost or anything else. Only because my husband took charge of it and wouldn't bother with doing something more exotic for the garden. Looks like you've got the gardening bug now! I've also thought about the soil testing but again, that requires effort to get it done and just haven't. I think as a new gardener, it would be helpful to you to know.

I know I've missed a few posts from the other thread but I better get busy here. to all!
Old 06-08-2009, 12:57 PM   #4  

Terri == I hope your knee feels better. I know I have arthritis in one of mine. I did the round of doc check ups over the winter. Felt like I was getting a real tune-up!

I think I am getting the gardening bug! But I'm suffering from information overload!
Old 06-08-2009, 01:11 PM   #5  
aka Valerie

S/C/G: 350/345/195

Ouch, Terri! Tell Spanky I said WHOA MEANS WHOA! Gabe stands like a champ almost every time. It's the 'almost' that can kill ya tho. I'm really jealous of the long trail ride!! Folks at the barn are trying to get me to go on the "Celebration Ride" - a 12-15 competitive trail ride on 4th of July weekend. I don't think the Big Guy and I are quite ready for that yet.

Heather, we did a raised bed this year and I love it, but I'm not an expert yet. If you'd seen my garden last year, you'd tell me to mind my own business. DH is the garden expert. I just just stick things in the ground, then clap and jump up and down if they actually grow.

Had 3 bad days this weekend between working a horse show and volunteering at an event at the Y camp. Too many cookies, not enough good stuff. OK, and we won't even talk about the ice cream at midnight on Saturday.

BUT! Today is another day and it's good to be back OP! I was worried about lunch because I didn't pack or plan anything, until I discovered an emergency can of Select Harvest light soup in my desk drawer. YEAH! It's gonna be a good day! Quizno's is right across the street, in plain view from my office window, calling to me every day. I'll just wave at them again today and show 'em my can o' soup!

Last edited by NoLifeWithoutHorses; 06-08-2009 at 01:14 PM.
Old 06-08-2009, 03:38 PM   #6  

Smile

Hello all of you lovely ladies!

Val for the can of soup instead of quiznos. Yeah, I am that kind of gardener too. LOL! My Dh does the gardening.

Terri, sorry about your knee. As Val says OUCH! I would have been tempted to slug that horse. (just kidding. We are never cruel to animals, only the human ones).

Heather, Good luck with the garden. Fresh anything is so much better than store bought. Love fresh veggies!

To everyone else. Keep smiling......Ruth
Old 06-08-2009, 07:04 PM   #7  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

Hey girlfriends! Nice to see you all here on Monday. All you equestrians are making me jealous. It's been a long time since I've been on a horse, or a bike. Maybe after I lose another 50 lbs.

I had a strange off-plan weekend, but then I have come to embrace that I hate to plan meals and that's why I have "cheat-proofed" my house.

And if I can inexplicably gain 12 lbs over two or three days, then apparently I can also lose 8 of those pounds over the weekend, also inexplicably.

I have not been sleeping well, stressed over divorce stuff, and I've been worried about my boys all weekend, but today, my younger son is showing a little warmth and acceptance about the new home. I'm coaching him on how to cook lentil soup for dinner. And during the cooking lesson, there seems to be a lot of hugs and kisses going on. It's great!

Still, my older son picked fights all morning (we argue over semantics) and now he's being aloof and withdrawn, caught up in a C++ programming book. I'm being hypervigilant, I know, but I'm still freaking about suddenly being a single mother of teenage sons. Logically, I know I'm well equipped and up for the task, but I feel so sad about this whole situation.

So, the insomnia still plagues me and I don't have the energy to exercise. I hate this! I just want to go to bed at a normal time, fall asleep, and wake up refreshed at a decent hour with energy. Then I won't feel like I'm scrambling to catch up to the day's tasks. I would love to feel ahead of the game!

Georgia

PS) So my older son just came downstairs to tell me all about writing his very first game program just now. He was so cute and excited about it, and in the end, he told me he loved me, because I bought him the book on C++ last week. I need to be more mindful and hang on to moments like those!
Old 06-08-2009, 07:48 PM   #8  
Vortex

S/C/G: 330/see ticker/???

Hi ladies, I'm back home finally. Whew. A few months to myself--how many, I don't know; maybe 3, maybe 5. Did not lose any weight while gone, but didn't gain, either. Must get serious now. Summer is here, and it's my last chance to make a significant loss. In December, when sabbatical was starting, I made a decision that if I couldn't make some significant weight loss progress by August, I would talk to my doc about WLS. I'd say I need at least another 15 pounds gone to consider the progress significant.

Gardening question, since we've got lots of gardeners here: I told myself this year I would finally do some container gardening of veggies. There's also a new community garden plot with spots open. But I wasn't able to get anything planted before leaving for Ohio. What is it not too late to plant? Anything?

Geo: Good luck with the insomnia. Have I mentioned Sleepytime Extra to you? It's Celestial Seasonings Sleepytime tea (chamomile, etc.) plus valerian. Two cups does wonders for me when I'm unable to get to sleep. Wouldn't have to be C. Seasonings, I'm sure valerian + chamomile would do the same no matter where it came from. Gotta be careful with the valerian, though.

Terri: Hope those aches and pains fade quickly.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:12 PM   #9  

Val -- We've already had broccoli and lettuce and I've been cheering all the way.

Angela-- I'm not an expert, but you're in mid Illinois right? Check out your local garden store to see what they are selling and that might give you a good idea! (Not for from seed, but plants). I saw tomatoes and peppers last week at the store.

And what I'm learning is that later in the summer we can start planting fall crops (like lettuce again, and, I think broccoli).

But I am only just beginning, so don't think of me as an expert!

And congrats on not GAINING!

Last edited by Heather; 06-08-2009 at 09:14 PM.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:16 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 348.5/T/185

Height: 5'9"

Angela - it's never too late to start whatever you want to start. I put in more peppers and tomatoes yesterday - small plants. I also planted more herbs - sage, tarragon and licorice basil. I'm glad you're back - enjoy your summer.

Terri - how's the knee today?

I spent most of the weekend in the garden - what a lovely weekend it was too. I cut some fresh herbs tonight for the chicken and a bouquet for the table.

Last summer I made a decision to maintain over the summer as we do quite a bit of entertaining. I also stopped my normal sessions with my trainer. I maintained but struggled for quite some time to get back to the scale moving down. This summer no such plan - looking forward to a different summer.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:33 PM   #11  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

Welcome back Angela! You were in my thoughts every day. I hope things went well for you with your mother. Enjoy your solitude!

You should see my arsenal of "natural" sleep aids. They're all lined up on my counter. But some nights, nothing helps. Right now, I'm struggling to stay away and it's only 6:20 p.m. I'm holding out until 9 p.m., and then I'll take a shower, drink my tea, take my melatonin, etc., put on my CPAP and see what happens.

I've been nosing around the net (like I do everyday) and came across a few articles on small dietary changes that add up to weight loss. Nearly everyone who wrote the articles talked about losing 10 to 25 lbs. with the minor changes. And then it struck me that I've already done the changes and it did lead to losing the first 40+ lbs.

I now see how I was hoping that those changes, while good, were going to carry me through the whole process of losing everything. And that's probably why I'm stuck where I'm at, and have been for many months. I'm going to have to step up my game!

I know that if I keep my caloric intake under 1800/day, I lose weight. I know that if I do cardio several times a day, I lose weight. I know if I do weight training, I feel better overall. So, I have to learn how to make those changes a part of my life on a consistent basis now. It doesn't work to do it two or three days a week. I have to change my mission, to have my daily routine fit around my new way of life.

Georgia
Old 06-08-2009, 09:53 PM   #12  
BELIEVE!

Hey Gals!

I hope everyone had a good Monday. It was okey-dokey here. A hectic day at work and some added stress there. I have to talk with our legal counsel tomorrow about a situation with a former employee (and friend) that I'm worked up about. I am also having trouble just keeping up with work in general. I have 2 weeks until I go on vacation and a laundry list of stuff I have to have done by then! Anyway....after work I hit the gym for my usual Monday session. Tonight I worked out solo cause my usual Monday trainer got married yesterday. Good workout....then home for dinner and some time with the boys. They went to bed w/o much of a fight. Well...I think the oldest is in bed. That's where I left him.

This weekend was nice. DH and I went on a date Saturday. Yep...2 dates last week. It was needed and we enjoyed the time alone.

Geo - I'm so happy to hear you have your boys at home with you. I'm sure it will take some time for all of you to adjust. Hopefully you can get some sleep. Have you ever heard of Pur-sleep? It's basically aromatherapy, but specifically for CPAPs. It's a little ceramic tray with a pad that you put the oils on and you put it behind the machine. It puts a gentle scent into the mask. I really like it. You are right on about what you need to do....it take consistency!!! You can do it!

Carol - Glad to hear you had a nice weekend! You have such a great outlook for this summer!

Heather - I'm certainly no gardening expert here....unless you count the 3 pots of peppers/tomatos, 2 potted roses and an assortment of annuals. And all of that was adventurous for me this year. Ha! Next year I would love a raised bed...we'll see.

Terri - Ouch! I hope you are feeling better today! I have never ridden a horse. Would love to give it a shot one of these days. I'll admit...I'm a little intimidated by the thought of it. You certainly keep busy and active around the house!

Valerie - Yay for the can o' soup! Put those cookies and ice cream behind you and push forward!

Ruth - HI! I'm smiling! Are you?

Angela - GREAT to see you! Grats on maintaining!

Well...the night has disappeared on me. I am going to crawl in bed shortly with a book and hopefully get a good night's sleep! That means hopefully no squirmy child in my bed.

G'nite Friends!
Barb
Old 06-09-2009, 06:47 AM   #13  

Smile still smiling!

Hi all, yes I am still smiling although I would like to kick my scales out the door. They came down almost a lb. then the sneaky things went right back up. I have decided to stay off them for awhile for my own good. I tend to say "well, why bother" when they sit in the same spot too long. It has been an uphill battle to get this far. Gosh, it has only taken me 5 yrs. to lose from 319 to 269. What an accomplishment! No, not really. I gained and lost a whole bunch in those five years, and if I had stayed on plan I would probably be at goal by now. SIGGHHHH! That is the way it goes with this fatty. I have lost and gained a whole person two or three times in my life. Now that is a real shame! If any of you have made it to gaol. maintain, maintain! Gets harder and harder to do. (lose weight). Plus the skin just kind of gives up and won't snap back.

Well, on that cheery note I will hush for now. I have to get ready to go and give my Dr. some more blood. UGH! Have a super day. XO Ruth
Old 06-09-2009, 07:59 AM   #14  

Ruth -- I think your experiences are very typical -- ups and downs and all. I think giving up is probably the worst thing we can do. I've started realizing that I gained to 300 because I entirely stopped caring at all about what I put in my mouth. These days, every day is a struggle, but I figure if I'm still caring most of the time, I won't gain it all back!!

Actually, keeping off 50 pounds for several years really IS an accomplishment. It's just hard for us to see it that way...
Old 06-09-2009, 08:19 AM   #15  
Just a fat guy losing it!

S/C/G: 343/312/220

Height: 6'1

My legs are jelly.

Did a legs workout at the gym last night, the first legs regimine since starting 2 weeks ago, and I could barely walk down the stairs after. It was like my knees didn't work. What a wierd, but awesome feeling. And today, they're starting to feel sore. By tomorrow, I'm sure they'll ache

I did a chest and triceps workout Saturday and was barely able to lift my arms yesterday, but recovering today.

I'm finding muscles I never knew I had!
Closed Thread