Old 03-27-2009, 09:50 PM   #16  
God, Gratitude, Grace

S/C/G: 315 (2/09) /see ticker/140

Height: 5'3

Don't fear the extension lol Seriously, if you do need one (and it all depends!), it isn't as though they shout it down the aisle "YO!! SEAT BELT EXTENSION RIGHT HERREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!" as they point and laugh. They are super discreet about it in my experience.

Although, I do understand the personal accomplishment of not needing one anymore. I hope the next time I fly, I won't need one. Good luck
allowingslender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 10:58 PM   #17  
The name is Maria :)

S/C/G: 325/291.9/170(for now)

Height: 5'6 1/2

actually the last time I flew I was mortified... i sat into my seat hadn't even tried to put my belt on yet and the flight attendant came up to me and said ( not discreetly or in a low tone but a fairly loudly)"mam it looks like you might need a seat belt extension would you like one" and of course every one in the seats around me looked at me.. i thought I was going to die!
mariamherrera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 11:19 AM   #18  
Becoming.

S/C/G: 282/266.1/165

Height: 5'3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariamherrera View Post
actually the last time I flew I was mortified... i sat into my seat hadn't even tried to put my belt on yet and the flight attendant came up to me and said ( not discreetly or in a low tone but a fairly loudly)"mam it looks like you might need a seat belt extension would you like one" and of course every one in the seats around me looked at me.. i thought I was going to die!
that is ridiculous! some people have no class or sensitivity to others.

i'm kinda glad that my trip got postponed.

no flying for me... and the next trip probably wont be til august.. plenty of time!!
gothik butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 11:54 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

When I was 288 I didn't need one, but almost. I'm guessing on most lines, you should be okay.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 10:33 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 320/320/180

Height: 5 feet 8 inches

Yeah, I am 320 now... last time I flew I was right at 300 and needed one. The IDIOT MALE flight attendant loudly proclaimed across the crowded airplane that "This lady asked for a seat belt extender... do we even HAVE those!?" A moderately sized female flight attendant glared at him, grabbed one out of the overhead compartment near her and made her way to me... after giving it to me and apologizing for the guys behavior she practically DRAGGED him down the aisle to the back of the plane...

I like to imagine that she gave him a black eye, but since I didn't see him for the rest of the flight, I will never know...
riverbeauty3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 12:31 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 306/SEE TICKER/140

Height: 5'3''

Hi all, I'm new to this site and am LOVING IT!!

I am in the 300+ (301.6 to be exact) and flew as recently as 04/06/09. Anytime I fly, as soon as I step on the plane, I always ask the attendant for an extender. This alleviates me from having to ask while I'm seated and running the risk of everybody turning to look at me.

Usually, they have one near by I discretely (sp?) place it in my pocket while walking to my seat.
sylv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 12:26 AM   #22  

thanks and welcome sylv! that is what I typically do too! hopefully this next flight I wont need one *crossing fingers*
Old 04-14-2009, 01:33 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 306/SEE TICKER/140

Height: 5'3''

Maria, thanx for welcoming me!

You have lost a lot of weight so maybe you will be ok....I will have my fingers crossed right along with you.
sylv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 08:51 PM   #24  

Height: 5'11"

Hate to share some bad news...

United Air to charge obese double on full flights
TheWalrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 12:42 AM   #25  

ugh... this is sooo discriminatory! I under stand skinny people have a right to be comfortable during a flight.. but so do we... why should we have to pay double when were not even using two seats technically... Even at my heaviest 307 when I flew I maybe took up an inch of the other seat not the whole dang thing.... if that!

that is so humiliating! I really hop I loose enough by June to not need an extension now for sure!
Old 04-21-2009, 05:05 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 352/352/150

Height: 5' 7 1/2"

I had this same question nearly a year ago before we left for Egypt. I hate to say I am not in any better position of weight now, but am working on it and finally starting to make progress.

My husband and I are going to Salem MA for Halloween and the thought of squeezing into another seat belt extension makes me sick. I bought my own for the trip last year. We had 11 flights in 30 days, and I needed the seat belt extender on every plane. I weighed 324 pounds.

When we went to florida in 2003, I weighed 300 pounds, size 24/26 and I fit with NO extender, just those 24 pounds made a difference. I am not going to go through what I did on that trip. I played it off, but I was still smooshed up on my husband, who is not overweight.

My son is 6'3" and weighs 260, he had plenty of room to wiggle in his seat. Me not so much.

I went to seat guru.com and looked up the plane I was going on to see if I would fit too. It is hard to say until you are there, but judging on your weight, you should be fine.

I am 5'7 and almost all my weight is upper body weight.. I joke i am an egg with legs, but those legs were getting plumpy too.

Hope your flight goes well.
thinchickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 10:16 AM   #27  
since 10/23/07

S/C/G: 286/ticker/136

Height: 5'5"

I just got back from business travel to Pakistan. My weight is around 230...all hips and butt. I was squeezed when flying Etihad Airlines. I had room to spare when flying United and Qatar Airlines.
jay41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 10:18 AM   #28  

Height: 5'9"

When I flew in December at 270lbs, I didn't need one I think you will be fine.
luvja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 09:01 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 360/357/150

Height: 5'7"

I flew from Ohio to Vegas last March at 350 pounds 5'7" and I needed a seat belt extender of course. However, on the way back, on one of our United Airlines connecting flights I was pulling the seatbelt to the max length so I could add the extender and realized it looked pretty long so I tried it without the extender and it fit with room to pull it tighter even. I was so excited! LOL Then I realized that we were in a special section on the plane called "Economy Plus" which has bigger seats, more leg room and longer seatbelts. It was just a fluke that we ended up there and we didn't pay more for those seats. They are in coach. You might see if you can get an Economy Plus seat when you get your tickets.

The other thing is, I was too embarrassed to ask for an extender so I bought my own on eBay for around $40 including shipping. When I got back I resold it as "used but like new" for the same price I had paid originally.
newself09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 11:44 PM   #30  

Height: 5'8.5"

Well this is encouraging! I am getting ready to fly and I was thinking at 5'9" and 239 pounds I should be okay... especially since I have no butt and carry my weight on top (and in my stomach but can get a seat belt under the bulge LOL). Plus what I can lose in the next month. I don't think I will need one, hope hope hope.
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote