Closed Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 01:33 AM   #16  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

OMG!!! I was on the Fitball for one hour, bouncing and moving my arms, and then I had my GWF armband record my activity during that time. Are you ready for this? Over 600 calories burned! Over 5000 steps taken!

I think I'm going to be on this Fitball everyday!

Georgia
Old 03-25-2009, 12:37 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Hi ladies,

Wow, can't believe that this is my first post of the week. Sorry about that! I guess I've been having too much fun not being tied to a computer; or else too much fun on Facebook.

I'm feeling pretty good this week. I'm really trying to focus on having fun and enjoying things that I'm doing. And I feel so much more in control as a result of that. Sounds kind of stupid that I would have to consciously think about having fun, doesn't it? I almost want to skip.

I made it to the fitness center last night and had a good workout on the elliptical and the circuit machines. I didnt do much on Monday because I'm having a little issue with a tendon in my left foot. I've had plantar fasciitis for a number of years and have a spur on the foot too. I thought I've had it under control for a long time now but I've been having pain in the achilles area lately. On Sunday night, I had sat back on my foot to lean over the back of the couch to let dogs out the back door. The pain was sharp and intense on the back of my heel. Its better but it sure was sore for a couple of days. I'm paying particular attention to doing the stretching exercises and I'm wearing my arch supports all day again. Gads, the last thing I want is to have to do foot surgery - again!

I'm also getting back into the habit of using calorie king to get a grip on food. Last night, DH tried to get me to eat a piece of cheesecake but all I did was take a bite and handed him the fork and walked away. That bite was satisfying enough.

I posted a summary of an article from Good Housekeeping on my blog. Its "What Thin Women Know". It kind of highlights the difference between that thin women just basically do it and heavy women battle the process. Whether its how we eat or approach exercise. Its about the mental attitude more than anything (is what I gathered from it). I enjoyed the reminder so I put it on my blog.

I'm going to go get my lunch and be back to do personal replies.

to all!
Old 03-25-2009, 01:33 PM   #18  

I'm back. Lunch was yummy!

Georgia - That is interesting about the fitball and the workout. Just goes to show that burning additional calories doesn't have to be all about heavy duty cardio. Every bit counts. Good job! Hope the cravings are leaving you alone today! Thanks for the pep talk!

Debi - That is so frustrating about the scale especially when you've done all the right things. I could say that you should focus on the good things you've done forself and not the scale BUT I know that is so much easier to say than do. And its hard not to let the number on a scale cause such emotional havoc. Just keep kicking butt.

Carol - The same sentiment for you too. How are you doing this week? Our trolley walk will be here before we know it!

Lilion - That does totally reek about the ortho and their stupid practices. Gosh, sorry to see about the onslaught of menopause too. What happened to gradually creeping up on a gal with perimenopause? That just sucks. I know I'm approaching that possibility myself and I am not very much in favor of hormone treatment for myself. What kind of OTC did the doc suggest?

BarbPA - We'll keep the fires burning while you have family in this weekend. Have a great time!

I think that gets everyone. again!
Old 03-25-2009, 10:03 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 348.5/T/185

Height: 5'9"

Just a quick fly by - I'm having one of those crazy weeks - but doing great food, water and exercise wise. Even went to a birthday party at Buffalo Wild Wings tonight - planned to eat dinner there - didn't see anything that looked anywhere close to healthy so didn't eat - that's a first - came home and fixed a baked potatoe and threw some cheese on it with a salad.

More later..............
Old 03-26-2009, 10:19 AM   #20  

Morning ladies,

Not much new here. Allergies are driving me nuts but that's not new. I had a bad body morning. Might have something to do with the sauerkraut that DH fixed (again) for dinner last night. He had eaten out a big lunch and then didn't want to cook for me. I'm done with the sauerkraut for a while. I put on four tops this morning to find something to wear that I didn't feel like a whale. Bloated muffin-top whale. I finally settled on a black cable-knit sweater over khacki pants. And my spanx cami.

Carol - for not eating at BWW's!

Gotta run! to all!
Old 03-26-2009, 10:25 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Morning! We're on "spring break" here and I think that's more for the students than us. BUT, I AM taking today off. No work. I do have some things to do before classes start again on Monday, but I really needed a break of my own.

It was glorious this morning -- I got up and fed the dogs as usual and then went back to bed for a couple more hours. Amazingly, I don't feel as exhausted as usaul! Who knew?
Old 03-26-2009, 12:08 PM   #22  

Hey all - quickie today again.

Terri - The doctor suggested two herbal suppliments - evening primrose oil and black cohosh, or Estroven - which contains: According to their website - Soy isoflavones, Standardized black cohosh, Calcium and boron, Natural vitamins E, B-6, B-12, B-1, B-2 and B-3 and folic acid, Estroven® calming herbal blend (to reduce irritability) and Estroven® balancing herbal blend (for energy) I'm going to check out the Estroven website - but I haven't actually bought anything yet. I was going to ...but I forgot! Can you believe that? (Absent-mindedness is a symptom of menopause. ) Hope the big snow misses you!!!

Later ladies!
Old 03-27-2009, 08:10 AM   #23  

S/C/G: 348.5/T/185

Height: 5'9"

Where has the week gone - I'm glad its Friday and my weekend if here. I had 2 meetings scheduled today so I was going to have to go in but both were cancelled - guess I'll get ready for the snow they are saying is coming our way tomorrow.

It was an interesting week - on Wednesday morning at 7 am a field superintendent told me "shut up, shut your mouth". That is a button pusher for me, first instinct is jump right back at him. But ya know - I "shut up", told him thanks for calling and have a nice day. That day went downhill from that (not good when you've been at work for 30 minutes and that happens). I didn't really stress over it but laughed about it with my assistant and my boss, didn't eat because of it and just kept on going. It didn't get him what he wanted and only hurt him. Certainly didn't cause me to cooperate with him more.

At the last minute my exercise class was cancelled last night - after I had changed my clothes at the office to head out. Instead I stopped at the park and walked. No stress but just tweak it and adjust.

Terri - I'm looking forward to the Trolley Run - but it will be a Trolley Walk for me. I'm not fast but steady and will finish! Can you believe the amount of snow they say we are going to get?

Barb - enjoy your company. Remember they are coming to see you not your clean house (oh but I so get it).

Georgia - need to sit on my ball while watching TV - thanks for the suggestion. I bought 5 pound handweights a few weeks ago - the pups really want them while I'm using them - we think in their eyes they are nice big dog bones.

Lilion - 4 pounds in 8 months - I'm with you. I'm hoping when I break the 270 pound mental block I have about not being morbidly obese any longer that I can get this show moving again. I took a planned break last summer to see if I could maintain through our summer entertaining - I did and was proud - still seem to be mostly maintaining though.

Heather - I hope you have taken some time for you this week.

Angela - HI! How are you this week?

Debi - great job on the walking. Have a good day with your kiddos - maybe they will want to exercise with you today too!

Keep making those great choices - the weekend is here and will present some additional challenges - let's all forge through them!
Old 03-27-2009, 11:28 AM   #24  
Renaissance Woman

I started moving into my new house yesterday. Since there's no bed in there yet, I went to the Holiday Inn to spend the night. I was going to go back to my vacation house to get the next load of boxes, but was too tired to drive and just didn't want to spend the night with my parents...so I had a completely secretive evening last night, holed up with a half a chicken dinner from Boston Market, at the Holiday Inn, watching Smallville. It was great! (Not the show...although that Tom Welling...mmm!) It was great to get away with something!

So why am I doing this again? I'm 48, not 14! But the minute I'm back in my hometown and feeling my mom's fingernails digging into me, I'm back to my old feelings of being smothered by her, which triggers compulsive eating for me. I'm so ready to gain some power and clarity over this situation.

Yesterday I moved and unpacked boxes, bought a refrigerator, organized my pantry. Mom kept calling me asking me where I was, and when I hadn't called her after four hours, she was afraid I had fallen down the stairs and was mad that I hadn't called her to help her get over her fears. She does this all the time, invents a scenario in her head about me, puts herself in an emotional state, then blames me for it in order to get over it. She does it to my dad too. She's 78, she's not going to be changing how she does things anytime soon.

So, boundaries have no meaning with her. She just lays in wait for a break in my armor. I have to be constantly vigilant with her, which is why I'm so good at reading people now. I should become a therapist! I've had a lifetime of training!

This is going to be an excellent opportunity for me to learn something, I'm sure...

I was in town yesterday getting my utilities switched into my name and I came across a brand new Pilates business opening this week. I stopped in and chatted with the owner. She's going to open a reformer training room as well and she runs all levels of instruction as well as absolute beginner lessons. I'm going to join as soon as I'm moved in completely. I'm so excited about this! I didn't want to go do this at the local gym with trainers who barely know what they're talking about.

Okay, I have to get back on the road for the next load of boxes. Ciao!

Georgia
Old 03-28-2009, 09:45 AM   #25  

Morning ladies,

I'm not sure what kind of weekend its going to be. Other than a crappy weather one. We are on the cusp between two storm systems that are bringing rain and snow. The weather map says the biggest chance of accumulation is between "Paola and Harrisonville". Well that's us. The weathermen have been going nuts all week saying that we could get 6-12 inches of snow. However, right now, its just raining. I think they are disappointed.

I've been going through old photos and scanning them. I want to make a photobook. Funny, that I wanted to do scrapbooking and wanted to print my digital photos and here I am trying to scan all of my printed photos instead. I just found photos of my first horse, my beloved cat Smokey, and my sheep, Danny. Not everyone got to have their own pet sheep.

I vow that I am going to come back here today and report that I had a great workout and that I did it here at home. Working out at home seems to be a problem. In that I don't remember to get around to it. And there's no good reason since I have a spinner and a stationary bicycle.

Georgia - How far are you moving? Big for what you're going to have to deal with with your mom and being back home. That pilates class sounds like it will be fun for you! You'll definitely need it!

Carol - Good grief! What a jerk! I have to admit that I'm not sure I would have been able to not respond. You definitely deserve the weekend! Yeah, I'll be walking too. I do have it in my mind that I want to be able to jog/run one by the end of the year. Something ridiculous to strive for often gets me motivated.

Lilion - I hate the absent-mindedness!! Gads, I have to remind myself all the time of what I'm doing. Hope WI went well this morning.

Heather - Did you have a nice day off?

I'm going to get this posted and go see what the dogs are up too. Its awfully quiet.

to all!
Old 03-28-2009, 10:21 AM   #26  

HI ...
the ugly weather is heading at me also. No real snow but heavy rain and storms.HE did say last night it could end as snow..but no accumlations to speak of.
We are heading out today to grocery shop and then going to see hubbys mom who is in the hospital and my dad who is in the nursing home. We are also going to see the rest of the family. My son and his family and daughter and her husband are meeting us there, should be a fun day. We are even hitting a tiny outlet mall. Hubby needs new jeans and i need a few tops.
My challenge will be dinner tonight. We are eating at a chinesse seafood place.
My scales are still stuck and i am glad i have moved my weigh day till monday. I dont expect any movement then either.GRRRr
I had cut my calories but am increasing them back to 1500. Guess its time to get moving and see if that will start the scales working again. I begged hubby to change the battery in them..tried to convince him it had to be a bad battery.LOL he said htey were working fine on him..he is gaining but he is eating big time!!!
hugs to all
Old 03-28-2009, 10:43 AM   #27  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I had two lovely days off, and the weekend still to come! That's all I get until June something when classes are done for the year. I hope this upcoming term isn't too crazy...

Today is boob smasher (mammogram) and some kind of workout at the gym before we get together with friends tonight...
Old 03-28-2009, 12:02 PM   #28  
Renaissance Woman

Moving activity continues for me over the weekend. I get my washer and dryer and new refrigerator delivered, plus moving more boxes into the house. It's just a three-hour drive, but having to do it two or three times over a weekend really is exhausting. I'm trying to keep costs down and doing as much of it myself as possible. For the last four or five moves, they've all been corporate and paid for by the company. Suddenly I'm having to do everything for myself. And the money I saved up seems to be falling through my hands like sand.

One more evil drawback to the moves is the eating resulting from not having all my stuff around me to make something or because I'm too tired to cook and the Boston Market drive-thru is acting like Mr. Right-Now. I gained back five pounds since Monday. And this despite all the extra calories I burned with extra exercise. I did track what I ate and had popped over my normal calories by 500 to 800 calories on two days, but I also burned even more than that to cover it all. I just have to keep my calories down below 1800 and my daily activity levels burning over 3200 in order to keep the downward trend in place.

The rest of my weekend food choices will be at the supermarket and not at any sort of restaurant. And I will have a lot of boxes to move upstairs, so I will make a point of doing them one at a time so I can get a lot of time on the stairs.

Georgia
Old 03-28-2009, 12:51 PM   #29  
BELIEVE!

Popping in to say Hi to my friends! Family should be in the air now after a missed connection and delayed flight. I'm entertaining my 3yo showing him videos of airplanes on Youtube. He doesn't understand that we are not going to ride a plane today...just going to the airport. He's going to be so sad when we just get people and leave.

Wishing everyone a happy and healthy weekend! I'll pop in when I can.

My bro and I are hitting the gym this afternoon! Yay for a brother who is a gym rat!

Later....
Old 03-28-2009, 08:31 PM   #30  
Hang In There

Hi gang! I know I'm not a good group member. I just don't take the time to stop in very often. I did read a while tonight. Glad everyone is still hanging in there. I went to my doctor this week and I am down 9 pounds since I was there in November. Not record breaking, but at least down. Things are still going the same around here. I am going to the health club and walking and exercising in the water at least 3 days a week. My office is still the circus it has always been, Alvin's job is a roller coaster since it was sold in December. Terri I know you can relate to that. There is supposed to be another big reorganization on Wednesdae, but no one is sure what's coming. I'm not concerned about his job as long as the company keeps this call center open, but they have shut down several so his may be next. We will face that if and when it happens. Can't waste time of what can happen.

Keep up the good work and I'll check in later.
Closed Thread