Closed Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 08:14 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Default 300+ And Getting Fit after 40 #202

This thread is a sub-set of the 300+ thread.

This group is for those dealing with the challenges of having a significant amount of weight to lose and being fit which becomes harder after age 40. If you're an old or new friend and not over 40 and feel this is the place to post, jump right in.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:15 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Hi everyone! I had a great weekend visiting my mom and my brother, and his wife and kids. But this is exam week and I am absolutely buried in grading!!!
Old 03-16-2009, 08:28 AM   #3  

Height: 5'7"

I had a good day sat food wise but sunday was horrible. Today is a new day and im right back on track. I am dressed to my shoes and my make up on and cant wait to get the kids outside to play today. I already have laundry going and dishes put away!! I love getting up early and having time to myself.
Im hoping the warmer weather gets me more excited about exercise again. I miss being able to walk outside and I sure miss the energy i get from it!!
hugs to all
Old 03-16-2009, 09:32 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 387/318/145

Height: 5'8"

Yep, time to get moving. The girls are off to school and the dog is outside. I have to fill water and do some laundry. I really feel like going back to bed, but I am not going to do it! Going to have a good day! It is supposed to be 69 today and 72-74 tomorrow, then 50's the rest of the week and rain all weekend. ugh That's okay summer is coming!!!!!! All have a great day!!! Penny
Old 03-16-2009, 01:13 PM   #5  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

I spent the weekend looking at rental houses. I found one that I absolutely love! It's smaller than I wanted, but good school district that my son has attended previously, close to the market and good friends, and the house is a mid-century modern ranch style with brand new hardwood floors throughout and granite counter tops in the kitchen, a gas stove and electric oven, yard is okay, and they take pets so I can buy my son a dog! I hope I get this one!

I was reading The Body Fat Solution by Tom Venuto this weekend. I've been a fan of his (and body building work) for a couple of years. I found his approach to be balanced (adequate diet and exercise are both necessary to be healthy) and he dispels a lot of ideas that I've been battling with over the years. Reality check...I believe I've been overestimating my caloric needs, and I've been hanging on to beliefs that "let" me eat more but still resulted in lack of fat loss. I've been on a plateau for several months, and it's because I'm still overeating (fats mostly) and not exercising enough, and then going a bit nuts on "cheat day".

So, I'm going to cut back on added fats even more, and adding more cardio to my workouts because frankly, I'm a writer and a student, I don't get enough physical activity in a day! I've had my GoWearFit armband on for over a week and if I'm not on the treadmill for over an hour, I'm barely getting in 5000 steps a day, actually closer to 3,000.

So, I congratulate myself for the progress I've made so far. It got me to lose enough to make higher activity levels possible. And now, I've got to put my shoulder to the wheel and push just a bit more.

Hope everyone has a great day today. It's gorgeous in Northern California today!

Georgia
Old 03-16-2009, 01:44 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 351/ticker/175

Height: 5'9"

Default Blc

Hi Ladies,
Results are in!!
Old 03-16-2009, 01:56 PM   #7  

Hello all!

Well, food has been back on track since Saturday. Friday DH and I went to his brother's to discuss his parent's 50th anniversary with the five sisters - yep 7 kids. BIL lives nearly two hours away and we got there about 6:30, expecting the family to order food. NO! The sisters dragged in, the last arriving about 8 p.m. and finally then the BIL fixed rotel dip and chips. Geeze! Then we tried to decide on a vacation package for the folks by committee. Finally, close to 10 pm. and getting quite tired, hungry (10 hours since lunch after all) and cranky, I told DH we had to leave, told the siblings we would chip in whatever amount they thought they needed, up to $400, and we left. Got McDonalds for dinner in the car. Got home about midnight, in bed by 2 a.m. Needless to say, skipped WI, which, realistically wasn't such a bad thing having eaten salt-drenched fries and drank caffinated soda all night.

Saturday and Sunday was mostly shopping and garden work. I now have lettuce, broccoli and cauliflower starts ready to plant. I have peas sprouted and carrots ready to go and I have potatoes to plant. The temps should stay above freezing now, so I'm going to plant tonight and hope for the best. I can always cover the bed if I have to later!

Anyway, food is okay now. I'm actually cooking again. And I have plenty of healthy stuff at home. So...although I did oversleep and miss my WO, I'm going to be ready for NEXT Saturday's WI.

Time to work~
Old 03-16-2009, 06:43 PM   #8  

HI lilion when is the 50th anv? Hubbys parent party is june 14. We just kinda had a phone meeting today to discuss it. Im hoping to be down into the 190s by then.
food has been great today!! Im doing good with my water and im heading out now to go for a long walk.
hugs to all!!
Old 03-16-2009, 07:43 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 348.5/T/185

Height: 5'9"

Two day with DH going on the walk with the pups and I. I think that is a new record. Gotta get him ready for the Trolley Run Terri. I also have to get in more exercise to make my 1000 minutes this month - I will post them on the exercise thread at the end of the month. Tomorrow is supposed to be another great day - thinking of having DH drop me off to workout and then he and the pups can walk to get me and we will all walk home together. We'll see if he his game 3 days in a row. I'm sure it's all my imagination but the hills didn't seem at tough tonight.

I'm in the zone right now AND my house is clean, laundry all folded and put away, bills paid, basically chores are done. My plan is to not let it get so bad that I spend all weekend cleaning. A few minutes every night keeping up the with newspapers, mail and dishes should pay off so I can spend time on the weekend doing other things and not resenting the housework.

Where is everybody - Barb, Terri, Ruth, Angela - hope all is well.

Penny - water? Need I say more.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:27 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Hi ladies,

I'm here! I'm here!

The weather has been nice for the last few days and we've been busy outside as much as possible. Plus my studying is getting more intense as I am now down to four weeks until test time!

One of my outdoor activities is working with the horses. On Saturday and tonight, I worked with Phoenix getting rebonded with him so that perhaps I will have the nerve to ride him soon. He's just a goosey boy and I have barely worked with them all winter. On Sunday, I worked with Spanky for a bit and then did get on him and ride. It was fun but he's lazy.

I've also walked the dogs. I am almost able to jog the entire length of the driveway. Definitely not going to set any speed records soon! I did make it into the fitness center on Saturday for 30 minutes on the elliptical and work on the circuit machines.

Regarding the housework and keeping up on it, DH and I discussed the possibility of having one of my nieces come out to clean house to help me while I'm doing outside stuff and studying. But then I decided maybe that was just a disaster waiting to happen with her and I should not get into that. Instead, I made up a list of all the things that need to be done for each room. The goal is to work on the list all week long and get as much done as possible and start the list again for a new week. I'm just not into doing marathon cleans anymore and I'm hoping that this will help me keep up on the housework (and give DH a clue that he can help) and keep working on all my other tasks.

I haven't heard from the headhunters about the job. I'm losing enthusiasm. The headhunter told me the day before the interview that they are wanting to move very fast and would decide by that Friday. Then it became that they would decide by mid-week last week and I still haven't heard anything other than the feedback was positive about the interview. I'm not sure which direction I would go. Especially now that I feel more secure at work for the rest of this year. As I told DH, I am no longer intimidated by the thought of going somewhere and starting over; I realize that I CAN and WILL do that when the time is right. So it comes down to the impact on our personal lives and if we really want to disrupt that. Its been disrupted so much over the last few years, maybe its time to let it settle down and us have the chance to really enjoy life for a while. That's the thought for the evening!

I better get to studying so that I can then go do some housework stuff - must cross off a couple of tasks tonight.

to all!
Old 03-16-2009, 09:48 PM   #11  
BELIEVE!

Hi Gals!
It's been so busy around here. I'm finally getting few minutes to catch up. I'm struggling to get an kid to sleep (big surprise) so we'll see if he cooperates. We got him a "big" bed this weekend and he's fairly excited about it, but he napped today at daycare and now won't sleep. Ugh. He was so funny with the new bed....we made a big deal out of going shopping with me and picking out whatever he wanted for it. We looked at all the cool boy bedding, but all he wanted was a purple bed. I found a set of purple sheets and he was thrilled! He saved me a lot of money...we walked out with purple sheets, a Pooh lamp and a Spongebob pillow. Kids crack me up!

Carol - You are so sweet. Thankyou! No ring pics yet...I think I picked it out, but I am going shopping tomorrow. I do have some weight loss pics I'll share when I can get to my basement computer where I have the files.

....spoke too soon. It's taken me nearly an hour to type this because a little guy keeps getting up.

Cliff note version....

All is great. Busy. DH is out of town for the week. Taking tomorrow off work to go to the dentist, gym, shopping and see my trainer to get my body fat done.

Food is good. This weekend my DH challenged me as usual by wanting to eat at a couple good restaurants. Exercise is stellar. Weight is fluctuating a bit...likely due to TOM. I got all the signs but it never showed up. That happens now and then...more now that I've been losing weight fairly quickly.

I hope you are all doing wonderfully!!!! I always look forward to everyone's posts and love hearing what you are up to.

I'm going to try this bedtime thing again in hopes that I can watch a lil tv...

G'night Friends.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:18 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 387/318/145

Height: 5'8"

Carol-THANKS!
Old 03-17-2009, 08:10 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Okay ladies, I'm having overwhelming thoughts this morning. I am seriously thinking about walking away from taking the CPA exam. I don't think I have a strong enough desire to put in the intensity to getting it passed and it will take me at least another year. For years, I've had that wondering in my mind about if I could pass it and regret that I didn't try. Now, I've tried. I know I can learn the material so the wondering of whether I could or not has gone away. Now, its a question of do I really want it or did I want to know if I CAN?

If I continue, each day will be a struggle to get everything done - work, walking dogs, working with horses, outside work, housework, fitness with very little time to just enjoy life and study on top of that.

I think this past job consideration and my current projects have shown me once again that it is not my goal in life to be a controller or a in depth financial person. That is not my strength. My strengths are using my finance background for other purposes.

Thoughts?
Old 03-17-2009, 12:06 PM   #14  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

Terri, go with your gut and pursue that which you are really the most interested. You already answered your query...you found out what you wanted to know and got what you wanted out of it. Reserve your effort for something that's more meaningful to you.

Georgia
Old 03-17-2009, 02:19 PM   #15  

Default Good Afternoon Ladies!

Hello Ladies! Just a quick post when I should be working.

Terri, I think that you have to set your priorities and if something low priority doesn't fit, that's what you get rid of. Sounds to me like you don't want to be a CPA as much as you wanted to know if you could be a CPA. If it isn't important to you, your choice is easy. Clearly, you already have a lot on your plate. But will being a CPA help you in the long-run? With the economy in the tank, will it help your job prospects? Look at your long term goals and I know you'll make the right choice.

On a totally different subject, isn't the weather AWSOME! I have veggies planted! and (although mine don't dance )and also lettuce, onions, peas and cauliflower. Today, being St. Paddy's Day, it's time to plant my potatoes! I've never done broccoli, cauliflower, peas or potatoes, so we'll see how it goes!

gramie - The in-law's 50th is May 9th I believe. I think we're sending them to Portland, Maine for their trip.

Hope everyone is having a good week...back to work with me... and

HAPPY ST. PATRICK'S DAY!
Closed Thread