Closed Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 09:00 PM   #31  
BELIEVE!

Hey Girls!

I just got back from the gym. Got in a good session on the elliptical along with some ab work and my stretching. It all felt great tonight. Especially after having a sick kiddo the past 3 days. Thankfully he seems to be doing better and no one else has gotten the same stomach bug. Keeping my fingers crossed that we are done with it. Seems like it's making its way around daycare. Hopefully they will both be fine tomorrow in daycare so I can actually get some work done. I'm terribly behind on several things. I just can't seem to ever catch up. DH found out today he may be doing a bit of traveling to Boston in the next few months. Hopefully it won't conflict with a couple trips I have planned and I'll just have to adjust my work schedule so I don't miss the gym....a girl has to have her priorities.

Terri - How was the review and the special appt?

Heather - Yikes. I hope you had a shorter workday!

Sue - CONGRATS on the new job!!!

Annie & Georgia (and anyone else new I missed...) WELCOME!!!

Lilion - You can stay strong with all the food events. Load up on the healthy stuff and select small portions of more tempting things! YOU CAN DO IT!

DG - Glad you are feeling better. Yep...men...my DH is stubborn like that too!

Penny - Hope toay went a little smoother.

GGG - YAY for getting back to the gym!

Gotta tuck a little one in bed and go fix a late dinner....
Sweet dreams to all!

Last edited by BarbPA; 03-05-2009 at 09:02 PM.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:17 AM   #32  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

Good morning troops!

I'm back home after the whirlwind university tour for the last week. I'm so glad to be in my own bed, near my conveniently-located exercise equipment in my living room, and my own clean, unprocessed, low-salt food!

I didn't exercise as much as I wanted while on my trip, but I did exercise three days. I didn't get to eat regular meals, and much of what I ate had extra salt, plus I didn't get to drink enough water. I gained four pounds, as of this morning, and frankly, I'm okay with that. It wasn't what I wanted, but I'm not surprised and I'm certainly not disheartened. I'm already dressed for getting back on the treadmill this morning and attacking my weight set. Plus, my fridge is full of veggies, lean meats and chilled water. I'm back in action!

(Sometimes I sound so perky that I want to shoot myself...a lot of this is self-talk, to keep me moving in the right direction. I'm actually quite snarky in person!)

Georgia

My blog: http://half-the-woman.blogspot.com/
Old 03-06-2009, 01:23 PM   #33  
Vortex

S/C/G: 330/see ticker/???

Morning, all. I've been kind of MIA. I've not been making much progress. I'll make another serious effort this month. At the end of sabbatical, if I haven't made enough progress to make me think there's a chance I can do this on my own, I'll talk to my doc about WLS, een though it scares me.

I used to think that I knew what to do and just lacked the will to do it. As far as eating goes, right now, I'm pretty OP. I'm not exercising at the rate I'd like to be. Still, I'm starting to think maybe I don't know what to do, after all. Counting calories worked for me in 98-99 (sigh... 10 years) but the same level of calories isn't working for me now, I suppose b/c my metabolism isn't the same as it was when I was 32.

So this week I'm going to commit to exercise. I want to get as close to 60 minutes a day as I can.

Georgia, Annie: Welcome! Sorry I wasn't here when you arrived.

Sue: Congrats on the job offer!

Heather: Hang in there... you know you can do it.

Lilion: What Barb said... fill up your plate with the healthy stuff.
Old 03-06-2009, 02:55 PM   #34  
BELIEVE!

Hey Gals! Happy Friday!!

Well...the oldest was well enough to go back to daycare today...just when I thought I might get some work done... Yep, you guessed it...the little one came down with the tummy bug. He's been home with me today but luckily he is still a good napper so I'm getting a little bit done.

I'm down 2.4 pounds this week....total of 97.4 pounds...gone...forever! C'mon 100. I can't wait to hit that milestone and then the next...and next!

I hope everyone is having a Happy and Healthy day!!!

Later....
Old 03-06-2009, 04:19 PM   #35  

S/C/G: 348.5/T/185

Height: 5'9"

Barb - you go girl! You are so motivating - all the days I couldn't bring myself to exercise I kept saying to myself "what would Barb do?" The answer was always - GO ANYWAY - and once I actually did yesterday I knew you would be the loudest supporter - thanks!

I'm a bit sentimental today - it is my parents 62nd wedding anniversary. Unfortunately I started late but have asked close family to come up with 62 wonderful memories we will compile for them - fortunately the instant world of e-mail we live in today I may already have more than 62 so now it's a matter of putting them together. I also went to the park and took a picture of a tree we had planted to honor their 50th wedding anniversary - will do a little something about branching out, bend but not break, setting down roots - something sappy (sorry, couldn't resist).

My brain also seems to think my body is starving today - I've successfully elminated the tantrum thus far - if I can make it 2 more hours I'm in the clear. Exercise will be a good diversion - being a nice day I think I will leash up the pups and head out.

Have a great Friday,
Carol
Old 03-06-2009, 04:19 PM   #36  

Hey all. Thanks for all the "pep-talks" - wish I would have listened. But too little too late. Weight is back up and I'm trying to get back on track, at least I've been walking to work the 6/10 mile I like to do when weather is nice, because the last two days have been BEAUTIFUL! I even have my little seedlings out getting used to the great outdoors. It's like 75 here today.

And I've quit smoking - again! I actually like smoking and I like that I don't eat so darn much when I smoke...so why did I quit again? Oh yeah! It'll kill me faster than fat.... I forgot.

I have remained in a funk. And I've discovered that I may be menopausal. Joy. (Perimenopaual? Who cares, same thing.) I'd have thought I was too young still, and after the ablation, since I don't get periods, who knows? I looked up the "35 Symptoms of Menopause" and so far I've had about 10 of the following symptoms: Comments have been color coded for ease of reading .

1. Hot flashes, flushes, night sweats and/or cold flashes, clammy feeling (Had this for the last couple of weeks, which was what got me thinking about it.)
2. Irregular heart beat (This one doesn't actually count, since I always have that.)
3. Irritability (Or maybe I'm just a witch)
4. Mood swings, sudden tears
5. Trouble sleeping through the night (I wake up several times a night, usually because of the night sweats)
6. Irregular periods; shorter, lighter periods; heavier periods, flooding; phantom periods, shorter cycles, longer cycles (What the heck is a "phantom period"? Invisible? Or just spooky?)
7. Loss of libido (Oh Puleeze! - See #9!)
8. Dry vagina (TMI )
9. Crashing fatigue (Yep - I'm exhausted.)
10.Anxiety, feeling ill at ease
11.Feelings of dread, apprehension, doom
12.Difficulty concentrating, disorientation, mental confusion (I can't imagine being that ... OH! Look! A puppy! )
13.Disturbing memory lapses (huh?)
14.Incontinence, especially upon sneezing, laughing; urge incontinence
15.Itchy, crawly skin
16.Aching, sore joints, muscles and tendons
17.Increased tension in muscles
18.Breast tenderness
19.Headache change: increase or decrease
20.Gastrointestinal distress, indigestion, flatulence, gas pain, nausea (Chaulked this one up to all the Fiber 1 bars.)
21.Sudden bouts of bloat (Ditto)
22.Depression
23.Exacerbation of existing conditions
24.Increase in allergies
25.Weight gain (HA! I knew I could find something to blame besides ME!)
26.Hair loss or thinning, head, pubic, or whole body; increase in facial hair
27.Dizziness, light-headedness, episodes of loss of balance (Yep. )
28.Changes in body odor
29.Electric shock sensation under the skin and in the head
30.Tingling in the extremities (yep...fingers and hands.)
31.Gum problems, increased bleeding
32.Burning tongue, burning roof of mouth, bad taste in mouth, change in breath odor
33.Osteoporosis (after several years)
34.Changes in fingernails: softer, crack or break easier
35.Tinnitus: ringing in ears, bells, 'whooshing,' buzzing etc. (Guess I can't really count this one either, since I've had that for years.)

Frankly - it's ticking me off. Or maybe I'm just irritable? I guess it's time to make a doctor's appointment, maybe get my estrogen checked.

I told a friend yesterday I have NO intention of allowing this. I will simply - Defy nature and stay young forever!

I'm also not WI tomorrow. I did that today on the office scale and it wasn't pretty, so a weekend of yard work and a lake full of water and another week...and we'll try again.

Have a good weekend ladies!!!

Last edited by Lilion; 03-06-2009 at 04:22 PM.
Old 03-06-2009, 04:53 PM   #37  

Height: 5'7"

lilion_ HUGS!!! May I ask how old you are..I have ALOT of those systoms and im only 45.
I have done good today..even got some walking in with the kids. food has been pretty good...may go over a few calories but less than 50.
I can truly say my stomach is growling right now and its not boredom this time!!
I need to rethink snack and nap time around here...i tend to snack with kids and hurry thru lunch with them. Starting monday i am allowed a peice or serving of fruit at snack time and lunch will be when they are napping so i can enjoy it and not feel like i didnt even eat.
Im walking later tonight and again tommorow.
barb- hope the little one gets well fast!!
hugs
Old 03-06-2009, 08:45 PM   #38  

S/C/G: 387/318/145

Height: 5'8"

Barb- yes yesterday went much smoother! I was home all day! Thanks

Today was a very long day. But I am fine. I just wanted to check in and say Hi! Penny
Old 03-06-2009, 11:19 PM   #39  
Vortex

Oh, Lilion, well, first of all, yuck. Second, thanks for posting the list... I too have a lot of those symptoms, but I didn't know all of them were symptoms of menopause/peri/whatever.

DG: Good plan about lunch! Boy, it's hard isn't it, to plan to take care of yourself as well as you take care of others.

Carol: What a great thing for your parents' anniversary! Here's another idea if you want one: My aunt and uncle are celebrating 50 yrs in a few weeks; I googled hit songs of the year they were married (1959) and made a CD for them.

Penny: Hi!

Barb: Congrats on the loss! You really are a role model.
Old 03-07-2009, 08:32 PM   #40  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Hi ladies,

I've been MIA lately. I made a quick trip to almost St. Louis to see my mom. I took yesterday as a PTO day and made the trip. My cousins are big time farmers down there and we had bought a hog from them and I needed to pick up the processed meat. So got the hog and got to see mom even if for a short visit. We had a really good visit.

I'll catch up tomorrow and let you know how the review and the interview went.
Old 03-08-2009, 09:00 AM   #41  

S/C/G: 348.5/T/185

Height: 5'9"

Terri - great to see you back - can't wait to hear how things went for you. We also have lots of family that direction - where do they live?

Vortex - great idea - I think I will do that also - it's already late and I'm having a little trouble getting participation from my siblings - songs can help fill the empty spaces. Thanks for the suggestion

It was great to be back in the water yesterday - I can tell in some respects the nearly two weeks without exercise set me back - hopefully my muscles will remember quickly that we've done this before.

I'm 12 pounds down from when we got back home 2 weeks ago - 2.5 this week. How one person can gain 16 pounds in a week is beyond me but I did. I know part of it was water from the swelling/inflammation/infection but I still shake my head. BTW - the ankle swelling is mostly gone now that I have returned to exercise.

I need some new dinner ideas - what's for dinner at your house?
Old 03-08-2009, 09:36 AM   #42  
Mini-goal: 260

S/C/G: 325/ticker/154

Height: 5'6"

I'm a bit young for menopause, but every time I see a list of symptoms I think, "Well, I guess that's that then." Ha ha.

My daughter and I have been working out daily since joining the gym. I hope to settle into 5 days of cardio, 3 days of weights, each week soon. We get instructed on using the weight machines on Wednesday of next week.

Today my severance pay runs out so tomorrow I apply for unemployment. The number of resumes/applications I get in each week has slowed down considerably - I assume this is because I'm not only able to apply for those positions that are newly posted, rather than digging up everything that's been out there since I lost my job in January.

Thank you all for the warm welcome.
Old 03-08-2009, 12:54 PM   #43  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Morning ladies,

I am going to get caught up here as I work on bills and budget. I may post several posts throughout the day. Not only am I working on our budget but I am also working on budgets for both my mom and my brother. All part of training/experience for perhaps doing this as a side income in the future.

I am so happy to see green grass growing. We had a thunderstorm last night so the back yard is muddy and that means cleaning dog feet as they come in. Green grass also means its time to get busy with outside chores. I think I'll be making that list today.

I also need to do housecleaning and laundry today too. I also said I wanted to spend some time in the barn starting on the spring cleaning of it. And of course, I want to go to the fitness center. Busy day!

To catch you up on the review. I had a very good conversation with my boss. Talk about missing the boat. I have been floundering around feeling irrelevant and not needed for six months after having my job "taken" away and given to someone else and that someone else is wonder woman. She wanted to know why I had been so hesitant about jumping in. WTH, I didn't know what she expected. Big communication breakdown. Long story short, good conversation and I feel much more confidant of my future there and what she wants of me in this new position. I basically have the opportunity to make my own way. I have to go through the department objectives and come up with my own and tell her what I want to work on and how I can contribute. I walked out at noon to take off a half day feeling very good.

That afternoon was my interview. I drove home with my mind spinning, changed into my suit, and DH drove me back to the city (right by Union Station) for the 3:00 interview. DH was convinced that I had already made up my mind to not be interested in the new opportunity. I felt like it went very well. I spoke to the head HR guy and then the guy that this position reports to. The longer I was there, the more intrigued I became about the prospect of leaving my current employer and starting over. I have been there 21 years and have been horrified at the thought of having to start over and prove myself and OMG, I don't want to do that. The feeling of confidence just washed over me that you know what, I could walk away and I can start over and be successful. So much self-doubt and mind games that I put on myself. Not sure why I do that. The feedback through the recruiter was positive and they will be making up their minds next week for either the person or if they want to do second interviews. Third if you count the phone interview. This position would be sort of a finance position but not in the finance department. It would be more hands on with other departments and customers. Very much problem solving and oversight which I am better at than the number crunching spreadsheet builder. The position would report to someone in Atlanta so would need to be an independent person. The only hesitation I think I have is the potential for travel and how DH would be able to handle the animals in my absence.

Anyone watch Biggest Loser? I watched it the night before the review and the interview. The part where one gal was having a crying fit on the treadmill and Jillian was screaming at her really smacked me in the face. At first I just thought what a baby for crying on the treadmill. However, when Jillian was talking to her later and asking her why, why, why does she hold herself back thinking she can't do it when in reality, she can. The next morning as I was driving in to work, that was stuck in to my brain. That is why I do to myself on so many levels. When the self-doubt gets going on in my brain, it wrecks havoc. Other people that know me have said that I am the most capable person they know - yet I don't feel that. Pretty dumb.

Carol - Mom grew up near Jonesburg MO which is right on I-70. She moved away at 17 and went back a couple of years ago. She still has many brothers and sisters in the area of Warrenton, Jonesburg, Montgomery City. I have lots and lots of cousins in that area.

I'm going to post this now but I'll be back in a bit with more catch-up.

Last edited by Terri in MO; 03-08-2009 at 01:05 PM.
Old 03-08-2009, 01:15 PM   #44  
Vortex

Had a crummy fight with my mother yesterday. Trying to keep an even keel today. The scale is finally down a bit, but I haven't moved my slider as far as the scale went, b/c I always seem to go back up after I dip down and it's too depressing to have to move it back up.

Terri--Sounds like good work news.

Annie--Good luck with the job search.
Old 03-08-2009, 01:59 PM   #45  
BELIEVE!

Hi Ladies!

Oh...the scale is teasing me! Yesterday it said 240.8...wow...I was so surprised and thought it would go up a little today after a great weight lifting workout...but today it looked back at me and showed me 240.6. I'm 0.6 from the 100 pound mark. It feels so good and I'm so glad I've gotten through the lull of the past few weeks. It's almost time to shop my reward...a pretty ring! I still have a long way to go, but heck, I've lost nearly 100 pounds I WILL get there!!!

The boys are feeling better...thank goodness...but I'm about at the end of my rope with the behavior of my 3.5 year old...we'll get through it. I know a lot of it is his age, phase, sibling jealousy....DH and I just need to be consistent and work together to get through this.

I'm feeling sort of lousy now, but I don't want to let it get me down. I'm just really tired and have a sore throat. Once I get the little fellas down for nap I'm going to try and knock out a little cardio and then get a pedicure. I figure that's a nice Sunday afternoon treat.

Hang on...back in a few....
Closed Thread