Old 03-01-2009, 04:15 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 312/see ticker/175

Height: 5-4

Question Transitions Lifestyle System

I am almost two weeks into the Transitions Lifestyle System. Wondering if anyone else is trying this also? So far, so good. First 6 weeks no bread! But actually I have not missed it. Plus, i have used my stoves and actual eating utinsils. HA!
Fishing Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 06:41 PM   #2  

Talking Still Going Well!

Consistently losing 2-3 lbs a week! Hopefully will surpass my 30lb goal with the 12 weeks! (I was actually hoping for 40 )
Old 03-23-2009, 07:12 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 200/168/165

Height: 5'8"

i don't know what this plan is but it sounds like you are doing really well. congrats on the loss so far
willow650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 07:47 PM   #4  

Height: 5'7"

If you dont care share with us about the plan. Sounds like its working great!!
dgramie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 08:45 PM   #5  

Default About the program

Transitions is a 12 week program that I found out about thru my gym. I decided to try it and actually have been very happy and satisfied. It is based on the glycemic level - similar to atkins and south beach but way more scientific as to the effects something has on your body. But it is easy, there are food lists that list the effect something will have on you blood sugar level. I eat a ton of fruit and as much veggies as I want (yippie, not) but have been eating chicken and turkey. It teaches you to avoid the roller coaster sugar has on your body. Also, how eating the "right" foods keeps you satisfied.

There is also a coach that helps. It is created for a group, like WW, but since it's new, I am the first to try it out.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:52 PM   #6  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishing Gal View Post
It is based on the glycemic level - similar to atkins and south beach but way more scientific as to the effects something has on your body.
I'm not bashing the plan without seeing it, but be aware that many glycemic index based plans claim more science that the science supports. Many are very unproven or even disproven in how they calculate the effects on the body - they claim more precision than currently possible (there's also evidence that the effects of foods on the body can be quite different from one person to another. For example diabetics and insulin resistant folks are much more sensitive to high carb foods than people who are not. The glycemic index may actually be different for some foods depending on the person eating them. Also, most foods have been tested singularly to provide their glycemic index. In combination, the math doesn't come out (a 100 food and a 50 food, don't necessarily come out to 75). For example potatoes are the baseline for the glycemic index (assigned a 100) but if you add fat to the potato, the glycemic index drops.

Again, I'm not at all saying the program isn't effective or sensible, but often the science behind some of them is a bit wishy washy, and you've got to be aware that the science isn't always as strong as it looks.

Since the plan included supplements, make sure you and your doctor are aware of what the supplements contain, especially if you're on any medications, because "nutraceuticals," can interact with pharmaceuticals.

Last edited by kaplods; 03-27-2009 at 09:58 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote