Old 02-27-2009, 03:19 PM   #1  
Livin' La Vida Low Carb!

S/C/G: 350/ticker/200

Height: 5'6"

Default Tired of Dieting - Changing my Life Instead

Hello all...Ive been here before, under a different name, which I cannot remember at all!

When I was here, I was trying Atkins...and then WW...and then ... everything else. No success. And then I realized....I need a complete lifestyle overhaul!

So...I decided to go back to basics. Whole, natural foods. Nothing pre-processed, pre-packaged. I started this yesterday and I'm actually excited about it.

Ive been suffering with IBS type symptoms for years and today is the first day that I feel FINE after eating! No bloating, no cramping, no running to the bathroom!

I look forward to many more positive posts!
Simona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 03:30 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

That's what has worked for me. Most importantly, it's what is sustainable for me, because it's so good
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 03:39 PM   #3  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Hi and welcome back!

Yes, there just comes a point when you decide you want to be healthy. And that's that. No more diets. No more high quantity/high calorie foods. Just taking care of yourself, once and for all. Eating responsibly and intelligently. Monitoring what you put in your mouth, picking the most natural and therefore nutrient rich foods.

It took me a couple of decades to figure it out. I'm sure as heck glad I finally did. Changing my lifestyle totally and completely transformed my life. It was the best decision I've ever made.

Looking forward to hearing about all the positive changes that come your way as a result of the "overhaul".
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 04:18 PM   #4  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Welcome and good luck- eating out can be killer- but I've learned to enjoy cooking over time and that helps so much

My friend also has IBS and he eats so poorly, he constantly is rushing to the bathroom.

Last edited by beerab; 02-27-2009 at 04:19 PM.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 05:41 PM   #5  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

I finally stopped eating nearly all processed foods about a year ago and have lost a good bit of weight. I am slowly making healthier choices overall and replacing the bad old habits with good ones. I do feel a lot better too. Every once in awhile I get so confident in how good I feel and I lapse into a few days of indulgence. It doesn't take long for the reality check to show up!

Feeling good and all the personal freedom that allows for is WAY better than hot dogs!

Geo
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 08:11 PM   #6  

Welcome back Simona!!

One of the things I did a bit unintentionally was cut out all bread, pasta and rice out of my diet while doing South Beach in 2005. I had horrid IBS before that time. Since then and off SB (of course) I've kept out those items because I don't miss them at all. The doc thinks it's possible I have an intolerance to wheat. I've had no IBS symptoms at all since that time.

Hugs,
Ratkity
Ratkitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 08:58 PM   #7  
[link=http://www.3fatchic

S/C/G: 320/315/170

Height: 5"6

Also have IBS the only time I feel good is when I eat the right foods.
seegore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 09:30 PM   #8  

I am glad to hear that you are feeling fine after your eating. Enjoy your life. Congratulations.
sindy9001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 09:44 PM   #9  
BELIEVE!

Welcome back!

I think you have a darn good plan and have already gotten some great words of wisdom.

I'm not dieting at all. I did change my lifestyle completely. I eat healthy, eat smart, count calories, think about what I'm doing, exercise hard and a lot....

As of today I'm down 101 pounds and feeling awesome! A feeling I want everyone to experience!

You can do it!!!
BarbPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 10:20 PM   #10  
is in it to win it

S/C/G: 236/ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Question but how??

I too get really bored with regular diets quickly... and have always thought about doing this and thought i needed an "overhaul" lol

but what are you eating then?? i dont mean to sound naive but i just feel like EVERYTHINGS processed if your not just eating farmstand apples and oranges (straight fruits and veggies, i mean)

let us know if it works! im going to keep it in mind, if i can find anything!
Sherindarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 06:28 PM   #11  
Livin' La Vida Low Carb!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherindarelli View Post
I too get really bored with regular diets quickly... and have always thought about doing this and thought i needed an "overhaul" lol

but what are you eating then?? i dont mean to sound naive but i just feel like EVERYTHINGS processed if your not just eating farmstand apples and oranges (straight fruits and veggies, i mean)

let us know if it works! im going to keep it in mind, if i can find anything!
That's the sad thing today...most everything IS processed.

What Im doing is eating fruits and veggies - only local and in season. For protein, it's beans - dried, not canned. For carbs, it's whole grain brown rice or other whole grains - barley, whole oats [not rolled or processed]. It takes more cooking and prep time, but worth it.

Ive cut out meat and fish too. They're not "living foods".

Ive cut out all drinks except water and tea. I used to live on Diet Soda! It was terrible!

I've cut out all pre-packaged, frozen, canned, bottled foods.

I will say...I feel like Im eating A LOT less because this is keeping me fuller and satisfied for a lot longer. I'm not snacking in between meals and since the food is more satisfying, Im eating smaller portions.

I will admit, coming up with creative recipes is hard, but I found some great rice cookbooks that help.

I havent weighed myself, but I FEEL SO MUCH BETTER!
Old 03-13-2009, 12:26 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 351/286/140

HUbby and I are trying to fo this but it is hard and $$ to shop this way. I know pay now or pay later when you are Ill!

Anyone care to share any websites that show you what is whole food and how to cook or prepare it?
azcyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 01:45 PM   #13  
Livin' La Vida Low Carb!

There is a section here on this site for Whole Foods. If you Google "Macrobiotic Diet" - it'll bring up a lot of different recipes.

I'm finding that this way of eating is actually costing me less because I eat less. I thought it would be expensive too, but its turing out to be the opposite. Beans and rice are pretty inexpensive. That's the bulk of what I eat.
Old 03-14-2009, 02:57 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Here's the link to the 3 Fat Chicks Whole Foods Forum:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=209

Reducing processed foods and increasing whole foods made a huge difference in my life. There is a LOT to eat besides vegetables, apples and oranges! I concentrate on eating foods with powerful nutritional properties (vegetables, fruit, lean protein, low fat dairy, whole grains/complex carbohydrates and healthy fats, I eliminate or sparingly eat foods with limited nutritional benefits (limit wine, no fast food, no sugary soda, no packaged baked goods, some home-made baked goods, little fried foods, no creamy sauces). I had to make tough, personal decisions about what *I* could give up forever and what I could not give up forever - this is very personal.

I had to make it work for my lifestyle. I'm not up to making my own yogurt, bread, pasta or tortillas, but I try to buy organic products with minimal ingredients. Sometimes, I make my own salad dressing, but I usually buy stuff like spicy mustard, ketchup. Foods like canned tomatoes and canned beans fit into my lifestyle, as do some frozen vegetables. I do most of my own cooking, instead of relying on ready-made food. For example, I LOVE my home made pasta sauce more than any jarred sauce I've ever tried (and it's ready in 20 minutes).
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 12:21 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 330/330/180

Height: 5'9

They say diets never work right? Cause you can only stay on a diet for so long. That's why a lifestyle change is always better. Keep up the good work!!!
goingdown is offline   Reply With Quote