Old 03-30-2009, 12:26 AM   #1  

S/C/G: .

Height: 5'4

Default New here, how to set a goal?

Hello all. I am (sorta) new here and hope I stick around this time.

How do I reasonably set a goal? I am currently 325 pounds.
I set a 25 pound goal for 2 months in Fit Day and it said it was more than recommended?
playfullyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 12:37 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 227/206/130

Height: 5'5"

ok. I am obviously no pro at this. But, I am on weight watchers. On that program, you set a 5% goal, then a 10% goal. At that point, once you are comfortable with your progress and the program you are on, you can set your long term goal. I believe 2-2.5 lbs is the safe rate of weight loss per week. But, there are weeks where I have lost more than 5 and weeks I have only lost .4. So, in the end, I say as long as you are committed and understand that you are not perfect, set a goal that is good for you. Dont get discouraged if you have a bad week and learn from any mistakes you may make. Good luck, hope it helps a little.
Lovlab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 12:46 AM   #3  

Thanks!

So, 325x.05= 16.25 lbs... but how long should I give myself to meet this goal? At 2lbs a week I would give myself 2 months? That doesn't seem quick enough for me. WAH! lol.... j/k (kinda )
Old 03-30-2009, 02:13 AM   #4  
The name is Maria :)

S/C/G: 325/291.9/170(for now)

Height: 5'6 1/2

My own personal goal is to a lose a minimum of 8 pounds a month that averages out to about 2 lbs per week "the healthy recommended amount" but I aim to loose at least 10 per month because I'm not satisfied either with just the 2 a week ! anything over is bonus and greatly appreciated hehe

Last edited by mariamherrera; 03-30-2009 at 02:13 AM.
mariamherrera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 04:54 AM   #5  
Carpe diem

S/C/G: 105/78.9/65

Height: 5'5.5"

Since I measure in kilograms, I look for between 500gm to 700gm a week (about 1.1 to 1.75 pounds)... haven't reached 2 pounds a week ever, except when I started WW years and years and years and years ago- when I was much much much much much younger (I'm dreading September- I'm turning 30!)

Aiming to lose X pounds a month is difficult, but on the other hand, it's good. Saying that you want to lose 10 pounds a month is great, but what happens if you only lose 5 one month, and 3 the next? What if you lose 10 pounds in 3 months? We have all beaten ourselves up because we haven't reached our goal.

I learned to lower my expectations for weight loss, since eating varies from week to week for me (there are nights I don't eat dinner, or eat at 9pm, don't eat lunch or breakfast some days. work out more on others). For me, 500-700gm a week is fine. In one year, assuming that I lose 750gm a week, that'll take me down by 39kg or nearly 94 pounds. If I go to 500gm a week, that'll be 26kg or 57 pounds. I'd be happy with either.

Goals should always be SMART goals: Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic and Timely. 10 pounds in 8 weeks is a good goal. Anything over and above that is a bonus. If you're too unrealistic with the goal, you will *never* attain it, you will get discouraged and you will quit. You goals also need to be dynamic... subject to change.

Aim for between 1.5-2 pounds a week. Some weeks you'll be over, some you'll be under. But average it out to that. Short term goals are fine, but it's the long-term that you need to keep your eye on.

So, firstly, decide on your goal weight (I really like body fat percentage, coz you can be thin and still be "fat" My goal is 16% body fat, and I'm now 34%). If you currently weigh 325, then the end of the road needs to be... what? 140? 120? 135?

From there, you'll then know how much you want to lose: 185 pounds (for the sake of argument). Then set your mini-goals. 15 pounds by the end of June. Another 15 by the end of October. 10 by the end of Christmas (that's 40 pounds already!).

Okay, last thing: ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS celebrate every pound lost... it's gone. Forever. Finito. Byebye. Sayonara and bon voyage. Every pound lost is a victory in itself. So what if the scale didn't say 2 pounds lost? You lost 1. Congratulate yourself.

I'm going to bed now. Had a hard sparring session with the resident black belt and a drilling from Sensei in kendo.
Mollz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 07:51 AM   #6  
XOXO

S/C/G: 268/249/145

Height: 5'4"

Mariam, Lovlab and Mollz are all correct and I agree with them. Here's what I do. I need to lose 123lbs, my goal is to reach 145. Now, I don't set a certain amount I want to lose every week, what I do is this. In two weeks I want to be able to run for 2 minutes on the treadmill. By the end of April, I want to be able to run for 5 minutes on the treadmill. I set my goals based on my exercise. I am one of those nutz that loves exercise, so that's how I set it.

I also aim to not eat more than 1800 calories a day on the days I work out and no more than 1500 on the days that I don't workout. I really try to mix it up and keep my body guessing. I think you really have to think about what you are trying to accomplish and in what time frame. I don't really have a time frame, so maybe I should shut that up..lol..But you know what you wanna do and by when. If you don't want to post it here, put it in a journal at home and cross them off when you get there. Celebrate each and every pound and if you want to create a reward system for weight loss, do that too. Whatever is gonna help you, do it. You will be more apt to reaching the goals you set if you have a plan. Good luck!!
Devsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 10:55 AM   #7  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

A study was done on people who were making efforts to lose weight. Everyone in the study was successfully losing weight in whatever method they wanted, both men and women. At the end of the study, the men were happy with how much they lost, no matter how much or little it was. The women, on the other hand, wished they had last on average a third more than they had lost, and at a quicker rate.

We women seem to set high expectations for ourselves.

How susceptible are you to disappointment? Set a goal accordingly, and set daily goals for actions you will take to change your life towards achieving your goal.

A really good book that discusses setting goals and working through the mental game of weight loss is The Body Fat Solution by Tom Venuto.

Georgia
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 12:39 PM   #8  

Thanks bunches ladies!

I guess I am wanting to do it all really quickly but that's not realistic.

I have decided to start with some goals like drinking water and logging what I eat with fit day, from my blackberry when I'm not at home. I am also gonna stay away from soda and chocolate, two of my probs.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:40 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I never liked setting time-based goals. I never wanted to feel like a failure if I wasn't losing at the rate I "thought" I should, especially if I WAS being, you know, successful at losing weight!

It seems that many of us feel like failures if we don't lose at the rate we want, and I think that kills many weight loss attempts, unfortunately.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 08:57 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 348.5/T/185

Height: 5'9"

I'm with Heather - goals that involve losing XXX amount of pounds in XXX time frame backfire for me. The only pound I'm truly concerned with is the next one. My goals are my fitness level - in April I will exercise a minimum of 1500 minutes. I'm not one to waste exercise (not a lover of it) and then not have the food part of it down. My body doesn't like to give up any of its excess quickly - patience has been a lesson in process for me.
gggirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:56 PM   #11  

Amen to ditching any weight-loss deadlines. They NEVER work for me. I set goals that are based on behaviors, not numbers on a scale. I can control my behaviors. I can't control what the scale says.
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 11:15 AM   #12  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

Quote:
'm with Heather - goals that involve losing XXX amount of pounds in XXX time frame backfire for me. The only pound I'm truly concerned with is the next one.
Me too, except that I think in five pound blocks!!
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote