Old 01-21-2009, 12:41 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 332.6/293/120

Height: 5'6"

Default Overweight and Traveling

I just got my first pharmacy school interview, and it's in California. I live in Gulfport, MS. I'm really excited, but super nervous about traveling. I haven't flown since I was 4 years old. I've heard so many horror stories about having to buy two seats or being made to buy two seats once they got on the plane.

Does anyone know any fat friendly airlines? Do all of them make you buy an extra seat? Which ones have comfortable seats. I've never really had a problem with most chairs and stuff I sit in anywhere else. There's been maybe a couple of times I can think of when a chair had arms and was too narrow for me to fit comfortably.

Sorry for all the questions, I just want this whole process to go smoothly.
ninalovesmakeup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 12:54 PM   #2  
Going on a cruise w NKOTB

Height: 5'3"

Airline seats are VERY narrow. Even thin people feel like their sitting ontop of each other a lot of times. When you book your flight, you'll need to tell them your height/weight and they will tell you if you need two seats. The only one I know for sure that requires it is Southwest.
NickiChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 12:55 PM   #3  

Height: 5'9"

Well I'm Canadian so I doubt my 2 cents will do you any good. I just flew a week ago, at my current weight, and had *no problem* with the airline seat at all. Before that, the last time I flew I was about 320 lbs, and was not able to do the seatbelt up. I just held the seatbelt everytime the flight attendant came by, and make it look like it was done up. I have had to do that lots of times. Air Canada is very fat friendly, nice roomy seats. I love them. But since your from the USA that doesn't do anything for you. Good luck and have a nice trip!

I should add, I know how scary it is to fear that you can't fit. I flew a lot around my highest weight. You may be surprised, you may fit just fine, we are close in weight. I was totally shocked and happy when I first sat down and did the did the seatbelt UP. I've never been able to do that.

Last edited by luvja; 01-21-2009 at 01:00 PM.
luvja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 01:25 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 294/see ticker/190

Height: 6ft 0.5 inches

i've never known anyone on a UK airline or Polish or czech or german to buy an extra seat however, like luvja said, sometimes the belts are SMALL! They do have seatbelt extensions though.
anastasia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 01:52 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by anastasia View Post
i've never known anyone on a UK airline or Polish or czech or german to buy an extra seat however, like luvja said, sometimes the belts are SMALL! They do have seatbelt extensions though.
Maybe it's just in America, which makes no sense seeing as America has a large percentage of overweight individuals. I hate that I have to worry about this when I have enough to worry about for my interview. However, this issue makes me more nervous than my interview.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:58 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 294/see ticker/190

Height: 6ft 0.5 inches

i think it really would depend on how big. i mean, i dont know your measurements and sure, airplane seats are small but really, i think you might be ok.
anastasia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 02:03 PM   #7  

Height: 5' 7"

At below 300, you are likely to be ok. If necessary, ask the attendant for a seat belt extender, it is really dangerous to fly not buckled in (ask those US Airways people about their crash landing in the Hudson last week.). They are nice about it, and don't make a fuss. Ask about when you can reserve your seat; you'll be most comfortable with an aisle seat. Don't accept a middle seat if you can possibly avoid it, although when I fly with DH, I take the middle seat and we put up the arm rest and I'm really comfortable.

Hmmm... don't have to do that any more! Wow! I love being thinner!
KristasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 02:04 PM   #8  

Yeah, I'm a 3x size 26/28 pants.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:08 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 340/278/170

Height: 5'5"

A few things:

- Yes you may have to buy two seats, but with airplanes not being as full with the economy problems it might not become an issue.

- You probably are fine and not having to worry about it, but just in case you should call ahead or search on your airline's website for policies regarding this issue.

- If your seat belt will not fit around your mid section then just ask for an extension. I had to do this on a flight years ago and actually the stewardess offered, but they usually have them on board. It is very unsafe to travel without being belted and believe me years ago, when I was small and way younger, I would have been thrown from my seat had I not been belted in due to severe turbulence.

- Airline seats are small, but you would be surprised how well you can fit into them. Also there are a few airlines that have roomier seats, so you can look into that as well.

Last edited by Jacquie668; 01-21-2009 at 02:11 PM.
Jacquie668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 02:14 PM   #10  

Height: 5' 7"

I flew in one seat last year in size 26/28 pants. But I had DH beside me. It really depends on the airline.
KristasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 02:53 PM   #11  

Thanks for the responses ladies. Looks like I'll be a flying pro soon since I have another interview lined up to another state.
Old 01-21-2009, 03:41 PM   #12  

Height: 5' 6

I just flew in December on US airways. I had a 7 hour flight and I was not asked to buy a second seat. I weighed about 314 at that time and wore a 26/28 pant. The seatbelt did not fit me, so I had to ask for an extender, but the flight attendants acted like it was no big deal that I asked for one. There were other people on the flight that asked for an extender also, so don't feel bad about asking for one! You'll be fine, don't worry!
MandiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 03:42 PM   #13  

Height: 5' 6

by the way, the seatbelt didn't fit me by about an inch, so at your current weight I think it will probably fit you!
MandiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 03:47 PM   #14  
Registered Nut

S/C/G: 325/325/150

At 26/28 I was able to fit into airline seats, however, I had to cross my arms so that I didnt take up all the elbow space. this was on several different airlines, AirTran, NW, Southwest, US Airways, British Airways, Lufthansa...etc
RN BSN 2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 04:13 PM   #15  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Height: 5'8"

At a 26/28 I think you'll do fine. If you carry a lot of weight in the middle you may need an extender, but maybe not. Having flown a lot, and from your part of the country out to California/Washington, I found that Continental and US Air generally give you less space than some other airlines. Southwest and Delta generally do OK space-wise.

The largest I ever flew as was a size 30 and I was just barely able to strap in without an extender. This was on Southwest and I was one of the last to board so I had to sit in a middle seat between two college-aged boys. They were very nice and let me put the armrests up between us, so we were crowded but everyone had room to breathe at least! You'll be fine, just kind of uncomfortable for a few hours.
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote