Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 11:34 AM   #31  

Height: 5'7"

Teri_ HUGS sounds like you need them today!!
Old 01-07-2009, 01:18 PM   #32  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Definitely Terri needs a

I got to come to work in a sweatshirt (a nice one) and warm sweat pants (but nicer looking than that). There are some plusses to not teaching several days a week...
Old 01-07-2009, 02:04 PM   #33  

Height: 5' 7"

Lilion -congratulations on your planned eating! In the long run, this is what is going to keep up all where we want to be -- it's the whole one-day-nay-one-meal-nay-one-food-item-at-a-time that I find to be difficult.

Terri - this is definitely dog insanity month. Ours has decided that she is going to sleep on our bed, and she always starts by trying to wriggle up on my side. DH actually had to lock her in her crate last night after her 3rd try. I don't get it because she actually has a blanket next to the space heater, and she should be toasty and comfortable there.

Heather - so glad you are having a laid-back day. One can only do stress for so long.

Well, today is better, so far. I managed to go to bed last night without eating after dinner, which is a good thing (thank you, Martha Stewart).

And today, I ate my planned breakfast and lunch. Lunch was a little heavier on calories than I had planned, as we turned out to not have the kind of crackers I had planned for, but still, this is OK. The important thing is to stay away from the evil snack food machine at the office, because they have Peanut Munch, into which I can fall and die.

Tonight is shrink - first appointment since good-news-mammogram. It'll be interesting to check in with my feelings - drat, do I really need to do that?

Sue
Old 01-07-2009, 03:31 PM   #34  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

I'm back and a little less rattled.

I just had to have a call with my boss and the COO giving my recommendations on how to handle the state department of insurance insanity. And I actually came across as intelligent for a change.

So I've been doing my Caesar Milan review of the dog situation this morning. Here's why I think this happened. Dixie decided that, instead of coming in the house first thing out of her crate, she would take a few laps around the house and make the others run and bark. That raised the excitement level. Daisy is the dominant dog and she does not like it when she thinks someone is outside where they should be, i.e. Dixie should not have taken the laps without her. Duke and Dixie must have looked at each other wrong in the kennel this morning because they started the fighting but it was Daisy who jumped into the frey to whip Dixie. Dixie wasn't taken a a$$whuppin' from her sister and fought back. Duke, who made the first move at Dixie in the first place, got out the kennel door and ran for cover to the yard. Thank goodness, I happened to be in the kennel, and able to break it up or who knows how bad the damage would be because they were in the "red zone" of fighting to the death. Once I got them separate, Dixie got out of the kennel and she and Duke headed down the driveway. Fortunately, Dixie turned to come back to the house and Duke followed her into the front door. My hands are kind of beat up and have one knarly bite. Those damn girls can fight. These are the dogs that eat side by side every night and play all day long. I have to figure out to achieve "calm and submissive" while in the kennel. There are some dynamics going on with dominance that I must be missing. Winter may have them too cooped up and maybe I didn't make them stay outside to play long enough this morning after the laps. I need a dog treadmill.

Food is going well this week. I'm still logging everything into CalorieKing which is a big achievement. I'm happy with the choices I'm making. I'm glad that TOM did arrive because that will provide relief for some of the unpleasant PMS effects (i.e. feeling like a whale). It is hard to focus on doing healthy things when you feel like a whale.

Sue - I have to stay away from the evil vending machine on our floor. They put in Payday Avalance candybars. Talk about being in the red zone! That's why I try not to have $1's or change in my purse! I read this somewhere but I'm trying it and it kind of works - when you're thinking you have to have something to eat in the afternoon, visualize what you had for lunch and how that it was enough. I did that yesterday when I thought I needed something from the machine. I will admit that the day before, I forgot my visualization and had to have something; I did settle for fig newtons instead of the candybar. Give the shrink something to think about. Hey, yeah, what's up with us being the problem?

Debi - Thanks for the hug. Actually, I thought about alcohol for breakfast after that. Good plan for making up the extra calories. How are you doing today?

Heather - Sounds so comfy!

Lilion - Great job on both planning for your dinner and doing the IM again! Your posts have a much more positive vibe to them this week and its great to read. Poor DS! Does not sound like fun at all.

Penny - Sorry to see that you're having sleep issues. Any chance to talking to your doctor about getting a little assistance with sleep? You need to be rested in order to deal with the stresses during the other parts of the day.

Val - for the perm job!! Even better that its something you really like! Too bad about Hershey being sold.

Angela - Good job on getting your calories down and getting those first steps toward exercise again. It is hard to get restarted once you've quit for awhile. You can do it!

Carol - for the trainer! for a good WI tomorrow.

BarbPA - Smart aleck with the "choosing" to have a good day! But, you are so right. Its in how we handle things. Sorry about DH. I swear that the more I talk about eating healthier, the more DH comes up with fattening stuff to cook. Last night was pinto beans and ham. And he was going to make two things of cornbread. I had a small bowl and a small piece and counted my calories and left him the leftovers. Like you said, you're setting the positive example and he'll have to decide when.

BarbG - You can't come back to posting and then go to lurking mode so quickly. What's up and what's going on this week?

Ruth - You're too quiet too.

Elaine - You too. How are you doing?

I need to get this posted and get back to work being intelligent.

to all!
Old 01-07-2009, 04:30 PM   #35  

Height: 5'2" on a tall day.

Afternoon!

Wierd day here. Snowed last night. Then we got freezing rain on top of the snow. That was actually good because your feet would break through and find traction and I didn't have to hack the ice off the windshield because it had snow on it too. The rest of the car was an igloo though. Now it's pouring rain and we go back to really cold temps and snow tonight. Yuck.

The dog didn't like breaking thru the ice coating the snow in the yard so she went about 10' from the door, took care of business and scooted right back in. I think she likes being an "only child".

Food was great yesterday. Not so good today as I forgot to grab my lunch.On the whole I'm getting back to where I'm shooting for OP days and I know I can do it.

TERRI Odd the Duke and Dixie would fight. Boy's usually back down rather than tussle w/a girl. Be very careful with Daisey and Dixie. females can develop a true fight to the death hatred after even one good argument. We once had 2 the were best friends for 8 years nd after one disagreement we were never able to let them loose w/each other again. These were happy go lucky cocker spaniels, of all things. They were fine with people and every other dog in the kennel and house but if they were together there was serious blood. Take good care of your bites.

Glad you were able to express your ideas to the boss so well. Makes you feel powerful, doesn't it?

SUE Checking in with the "shrink" is a great idea. (S)he can only help you feel even better.

HEATHER It's great that you get to wear comfy stuff when you're not in the class room. Enjoy it.

LILION Congrats on the plaque and on planning ahead for that meal. It had to feel good to know you were in control! Loved hearing that your DS wanted you there for his "bracing"

VAL WHEE! Congrat's on the new job. Hope it's in an office and not a restaurant. P.H. is one of my down falls. I'd go nuts and just get wider and wider if I had to work there.

Hi to everyone else. I've got to get off this 'purt and get stuff done.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:37 PM   #36  

I just realized that a 4" square brownie is NOT 2 x a 2" square brownie. It's FOUR times! Math is not my strong point. This means my brownie was 20 points! That actually puts me over for the week, with three days left to go. Live and learn.

Terri - I know you are a dog person and probably know this, but you seem to get bit quite often breaking up fights so I thought I'd say it anyway. My trainer had told us the way to break up a fight is to grab the most aggressive dog by the back legs and pull him off, backing up the whole time so he can't get to your hands. Of course, if the other one just keeps coming after the one you are holding, that won't help a lot, will it? Take care of yourself!!!
Old 01-07-2009, 06:39 PM   #37  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Sue -- Our pug dogs sleep in bed with us. They LOVE to snuggle next to us (at least most of the time). A comfy bed away from the "pack" just isn't as nice...

Good day at work today and a good workout with the trainer. I think I'll have a nice calorie deficit for the day!
Old 01-07-2009, 08:04 PM   #38  

Work today took a disturbing turn. New Governor and it's a whole new ball game. The "firing" letters came out. The division director is gone. Not a surprise (and something many of us had kind of hoped for.) The deputy director is gone. Also pretty much expected. The special assistant to the director - kind of a liason to the agency we do hearings for, is gone. I came VERY close to applying for his job when he was hired several months ago. Thank GOD I didn't. Big shock is that my managing attorney is also gone. We really didn't think it would go that far down the ranks and it has us all pretty rattled. Some are not sorry he's gone. I am, not because he's a good manager, he isn't. But he's a good guy and the boyfriend of another good friend of mine. I feel really bad for him. I know one other is gone, but no one knows who yet because they weren't there at 4:30 when the letters arrived. All in all, not a bang-up ending to my day. It's kind of scary not knowing what they have planned for the rest of us.

No depression eating! No drinking! No freaking out! (My mantra for the evening.)

Last edited by Lilion; 01-08-2009 at 10:47 AM.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:09 PM   #39  

S/C/G: 348.5/T/185

Height: 5'9"

Lilion - I saw the changes on the news - seems there will be many more - glad to hear you are staying tough!

Great day here today which included a date and movie with DH - time to go cuddle with the pups - they've missed mom all day (guess I missed them today too).

Keep up the great work!
Old 01-07-2009, 10:21 PM   #40  
BELIEVE!

Hey Chicks!

I'm beat. Sorry...I really wish I had more time to keep up and reply to everyone. I'll catch up when I can.

Today was a good one. It was a rainy, cold day and luckily a work at home day so I didn't have to deal with the commute from he**. I worked until 3:30 and then met my trainer at the gym. I was with my favorite guy today and we had an awesome workout. He mixed things up a bit and I learned a lot from him, as I always do. After that I did my cardio and then headed to pick up the boys. Got them home and fed then passed them off to DH so I could go to a neighborhood association meeting (I'm on the board because I have a hard time saying no when volunteers are needed). DH was supposed to put the boys to bed so I could have a little break. Well, he didn't get them to bed on time so they were still up when I got home. I ended up spending the next hour trying to get them in bed. The baby was fine, but the oldest (3.5) was a little stinkier. Now I'm just winding down for a few minutes before putting myself in bed.

Terri - Sorry about the pup challenges this morning. Glad you are a little less frazzled.

Yep...I believe that you have to CHOOSE to MAKE it a great day. It's easy to tell someone to HAVE a great day, but what are you going to do to make it great. We are in control! Just a little piece of the positive thinking I do my best to instill in myself. Thankfully I have a dear friend who is one of the most postive people in my life and really helps me with the mental part of it all.

Night Friends! Hugs and Happy Thoughts for you all!
Old 01-08-2009, 10:20 AM   #41  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Hi ladies,

I made it to work without any drama this morning.

We went out to dinner last night with friends at Jose Peppers. I was careful not to inhale a bunch of chips and dip. I sampled but did not over eat.

Lilion - At the time of the fight, I didn't think about the leg thing. However, I have seen people on Caesar's show doing that. I do remember know thinking that is what I need to be doing so I don't get bit. However, I do think its a bit trickier with only one person and two dogs! My other thought was wondering what I would do to Daisy's hip which got damaged last year. I've also been considering pepper spray. I admit that I do tend to not think a whole lot during these episodes.

Shoot, I have a meeting to run to. I'll be back at lunch to finish other replies.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:28 AM   #42  

Height: 5' 7"

Terri - I like the idea of not carrying singles - that would get me out of so much temptation. I clear my change every couple of days, do you just add the singles? Or do you put it into some special fund?

When we had collies, we had two sisters, and boy, when they went at each other (God forbid one food bowl should touch the floor a second before the other - we fed them on opposite sides of the kitchen, with people synchronizing the drops) it was scary. You don't realize how sharp those fangs are until they are way to close to your flesh! After one died, we got a male, and the female just loved ruling him. She was a stinker, one time, we were feeding her outside, and she wasn't particularly interested. He came over with his ball, and rolled it at her feet. She accepted it, then got upset when he headed for her food dish, so she teased him with the ball, he left the food, until, you could see the light bulb go on, and he finished her dinner. She put her head in Mom's lap and wailed. But it was really her choice.

Lilion - so add a couple of minutes every day to IM. There's no sin involved here, just math. Wow, that's scary. I work for an automotive supplier, so we're pretty much on a what's going on basis, but we can only do what we can. Politics is a blood sport.

Heather - I understand about wanting to be a member of a nice warm pack. But my allergist wishes that I didn't have a dog at all, and we just can't share linens. Although when the power was out, her body heat was really tempting...

Barb- I think that I have to ration my commitments, or else I get overstressed and carbs always seems like the answer to stress. Lately, I've been under-giving, so I have added a few volunteer things to my life.

Well, maybe talking about feelings to shrink lady wasn't such a great idea - I spent last night replaying how I wished I'd handled a number of medical conversations, kept getting up and walking around, and then lying back down and playing hamster on a wheel again. Anxiety disorders stink. Maybe the surgery anniversary will give me a target date when I can say I AM DONE THINKING ABOUT THIS.

And in furtherence of this effort, I joined our company Taking Off the Pounds challenge. I can't imagine that I'll win, as I lose really slowly, but it sure is an incentive. There is a cash prize...

Hugs to all.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:56 AM   #43  

Avoided depression eating. I ended up using only my daily points although I admit, I didn't really cook a meal and ate no veggies to speak of. Still, I'm not too upset. I could have headed to the pub with my coworkers for shrooms and drinks. I'm sure that a number of folks did that. I did get on the elliptical this morning. Not easy, given the fact that I got to bed well after 11. I just don't do well on 6 hours of sleep. They are having a snack day today as a "farewell" to the boss. I brought fat free orange cranberry mini muffins and that's all I've eaten, because I know the points for them. See....trying to be "good".

Sue, I had to laugh at your dog story. My Mac and Suzie are so funny. They get some good fights going, but haven't ever brought blood. Mac got pretty food aggressive with Suzie (not with us) and so we leave their leashes on and hook him to the doorknob when we feed them. We walk them first, feed them, then walk them again - little pooping machines. Their big competition is Mommy's lap. If Mac's on my lap and she wants up Suz will suddenly run and bark, like she sees something. When he jumps down to join her, she'll jump up and take his spot. Mac isn't as devious. (Or maybe not quite as smart?) He just jumps up and lays on her head until she moves!

Gotta work while I still have a job!

Last edited by Lilion; 01-08-2009 at 10:58 AM.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:35 PM   #44  

S/C/G: 387/318/145

Height: 5'8"

Hello,
Well it has been a busy morning and just arrived back home in time to answer the telephone. Hooray, I think people know when you get home. Even more so when the kids are home. Trying to get water in today. I had a 1/2 hour test then a 2 hour interview. Those are the longest days. Why don't they just hire me for those two hours instead of them missing time on the job too! Tomorrow morning I have an 8:15 and a 10:30 interview at 2 different places that are 40 min. apart driving. The earlier one said only about 45 min. Well, I guess I had better keep running as I have girl scout leader meeting tonight at 6:30. I should keep plugging along. But I wanted to drop in and say hello!!
Old 01-08-2009, 04:37 PM   #45  

Height: 5'2" on a tall day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terri in MO View Post
Hi ladies,

I made it to work without any drama this morning.

We went out to dinner last night with friends at Jose Peppers. I was careful not to inhale a bunch of chips and dip. I sampled but did not over eat.

Lilion - At the time of the fight, I didn't think about the leg thing. However, I have seen people on Caesar's show doing that. I do remember know thinking that is what I need to be doing so I don't get bit. However, I do think its a bit trickier with only one person and two dogs! My other thought was wondering what I would do to Daisy's hip which got damaged last year. I've also been considering pepper spray. I admit that I do tend to not think a whole lot during these episodes.
Glad today is going better Terri. Have you tried an air horn? I have friends with dogs that get into it and they have a small air horn that they let loose right above the fidhters. It startles them enough so they can get them separated.
Closed Thread