Closed Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 09:02 PM   #16  
BELIEVE!

Hi Ladies -
How is everyone doing this evening? Have you had a happy and healthy day? It was a good day here. I sort of blew off work to finish up shopping and gift wrapping for the family that I had to mail gift to. I managed to get them shipped out late this afternoon. I accidently put a bag of gifts for my teammates at work in my brother's box. Opps. Then I hit the gym for cardio and had a nice evening playing with the boys.

Thank you for the compliments on my pictures. And thanks to Terri for encouraging me to post them. I am really proud of what I've accomplished in the last almost 5 months. I still have a long way to go, but I will absolutely achieve my goals!!! Right now I have my eyes set on losing 100 pounds, then the next goal is 199 (when I will also get my first tattoo) then my ultimate goal that my trainer and I have agreed on is 168. That will put me at ~20% body fat. I haven't weighed that since around my sophmore year of HS. I absolutely love the changes I've made in my life. I feel better than I have felt in 15 years. I have so much energy, I sleep better, my moods are better (usually - I am an emotional person).... I could go on and on. If you are struggling getting on track please don't wait any longer. I put this off for far too long. I enjoy eating healthy, I love going to the gym. My life has changed so much for the better.

I'm not doing anything drastic or crazy. I log all my food using Fitday. I eat 1600-1800 calories a day of lean meats, fresh fruits/veggies, proteins, whole grains, etc. I avoid processed food as much as possible and I drink almost no caffeine. I drink green tea, crystal light and lots of water. Occasionally and iced tea. Sure, it was a change in the beginning from all the junk I was eating, but now it's just a part of my life. Once and a while I'll crave something and have a bite or two, but I don't go overboard. I don't feel deprived. I enjoy finding good foods to eat. I still eat out with the family, I've just learned to make wise choices.

I did hire a personal trainer, which has been wonderful. I work out with my trainer 3x a week and that consists of 45 min of strength training followed by 30 min of cardio. The other days I do 45 of cardio (elliptical) & some abs. I always stretch afterwards. I know hiring a trainer is not for everyone, but if you can do it and have the desire please go for it!!! There are many training styles out there you just have to find someone that you feel comfortable working with. If you don't want to hire a trainer there is plenty you can do. The internet is full of resources. I do believe in including strength training as a part of your weight loss plan.

I could go on and on, but I won't. However, if you have any questions, want to talk, need some encouragement, etc. Feel free to pm me or post here.

I'll be honest, I haven't been posting as much on this thread lately because it got really slow and quiet. I hope that everyone will be more active and continue to encourage and support each other on this journey to health that we all desire.

C'mon ladies...who's in it with me??? We can do this!!!
Old 12-16-2008, 09:48 PM   #17  

Barb - Today, I'm with 'ya.
I'm using fitday as well, but I found that the trainer was pushing me a little too hard, so am seeing a physical therapist.

Took the candy to the rec center, and asked them to put it on the sweets table, since they've all been so nice to me. Then I swam for half an hour.

Talk to you all in the morning.

Sue
Old 12-16-2008, 09:48 PM   #18  

MaceLight - how did we do that?

Sue
Old 12-16-2008, 09:50 PM   #19  
aka Valerie

S/C/G: 350/345/195

Oh, Barb, it must feel wonderful to work out with a trainer.

I just need to get back to working out at all. I have all the very best lame excuses for not doing it, but being back here and getting my face stuffing under control is a good first step.

I remember how great it was when I was taking a workout class and at the beginning some of the moves made me say 'yeah, sure, right!' ...and then I realized that one move at a time, I was DOing it. Doing things I never thought I could, and then I had energy left over to walk and even run laps after class.

Now I'm back to square one. Maybe next time I'll remember that it's a struggle I don't want to repeat the beginning of again!

Good to see you again TERRI! You're going to LOVE that clinic! There's a huge, moose of a Paint horse at the barn that I have permission to ride/train and I'm all excited. If only my ankle would flex enough to ride again...

Today was the company Christmas party, and my goodness! By the way, did I mention that the new job is with Pizza Hut/WingStreet? Well, I didn't get all stupid and snort wings like they were free, even if they were.

As for the rest of the week, I have success planned in advance. I have little boxes of raisins and some nuts at work, so if I don't have time to stop for lunch, at least I have a measurable, healthy protien & energy snack. That way I'm not insanely hungry when I get out of work. I have some chili in the fridge there, so a hot lunch is handy, too.

OK - I'm watching BL, and I SOOOOOOOO hope that gorgous Michelle whips that Cowie....
Old 12-16-2008, 09:52 PM   #20  
aka Valerie

S/C/G: 350/345/195

Oh! Hi Macelight! Welcome to the cyberhood!!
Old 12-16-2008, 09:54 PM   #21  

Height: 5' 7"

I don't know who Macelight is - sorry.

Sue
Old 12-16-2008, 10:40 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Hi again,

I've logged my food into CalorieKing and just a bit over 1800. Not bad for the first day back at logging.

I'm going to be working strength building over the winter. I've been checking out crossfit.com. They post a "workout of the day". I do a modified version of the WOD because it is geared to the super serious gym rats. Like today's WOD was a split jerk move. The demo showed someone using hundreds of pounds. But for me, I used my current weight bar that weigh's in around 45 pounds. I figure a start is a start and it helps me to do different things to get stronger. Kinda fun.

Judy - I switched to a "low carb" type of plan once I learned that it is the better plan for women in perimenopause or for women that carry their weight in the mid-section. However, I focus on the healthy carbs and enjoy those instead of being in a "low carb" mindset.

Susan - Welcome to the group! You can do this! Actually, we all can if we just get determined.

Valerie - How's Gabe doing? Yep, you can do the canoe thing when summer comes. A good goal for you! I am so happy that Michelle won BL and that neither Vickie nor her husband won anything. They were so hateful throughout the show. Snorting wings might be a little painful on the nose.

Lilion - Good news that the scale wasn't up more. The holiday parties are just difficult to navigate if the goal is to lose weight.

Barb - Thanks for sharing the pictures and your words of encouragement. Loved your post.

Ruth - Good to see your sorry butt too. Don't let a "all or nothing" attitude defeat you. Get the habit of writing it down again going and then it will get better as it becomes more routine. Just have to stick with it.

Sue - Not sure this is appropriate to say but good luck with the mammogram. My prayers to you that all is well with it. I think the sizes depend on how each person carries their weight. Don't get stuck on the size but the fact that its getting smaller!

I better get off here and off to bed.

Last edited by Terri in MO; 12-16-2008 at 10:42 PM.
Old 12-17-2008, 05:28 AM   #23  

S/C/G: 348.5/T/185

Height: 5'9"

Barb - I have to jump in and say you look fantastic. I echo your support sentiments - I normally post on the other 300+ thread and when it gets quiet or unfocused I find myself not posting either.

I posted pics this morning on the pic thread - slow and steady is what I keep telling myself. I am the worlds slowest loser but when I look at the pictures from my last birthday I am so happy to see what the last year has brought. Next year will bring even more changes.

Yes - I am posting at 4:27 a.m. - too much rich food yesterday - thing is that I made the best possible choices - needless to say we won't be going back to the fancy schmancy restaurant - lol.

Move your bodies, drink your water and SMILE.

Carol
Old 12-17-2008, 08:12 AM   #24  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Barb -- You look great! And I can tell you are SO in the zone from your post! I want to get back there! I lost weight in very much the same way, but over the past year or so have gotten off track! Less exercise, and less good eating. Not all the way back to all my old habits, but enough so that I've gained back 20 pounds!!

It really is about COMMITMENT and CONSISTENCY... like in my siggie! It doesn't mean being extreme!

Congrats!

Last edited by Heather; 12-17-2008 at 08:12 AM.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:31 AM   #25  

Default Good Morning Ladies!

Wow! What a busy thread! It's really nice to see everyone back. I was thinking Sue, Heather and I were all that was left there for a day or two...and I'm so bad at posting that I barely count.

Barb, I can't see your photos - Just the evil red x on the screen...but I'm sure you look wonderful! I love hearing about successess and you certainly fit the bill!

I remember how good it felt to be losing and feeling strong and healthy - and I'm not at all sure what the heck happened to me. One things sure, I want it BACK! I have no good excuse for not exercising, except the hours I've been keeping, but when the holidays are over I WILL get back on the Infernal Machine and I WILL get into some kind of class, yoga or something. There is a dojo here that offers a free class in Japanese fan fighting - I watched for a bit once - and I plan on trying to go to it. Heck, it's FREE - no excuse whatsoever there - and taking a martial arts class is on my bucket list!

Susan -

Heather, Sue, Joanne, Ruth, Terri and Valerie, HI! Sorry I have to run!
Old 12-17-2008, 01:33 PM   #26  

Good lunchtime, all!

Heather and Lilion - I hope the focus thing pulls itself together. I know it's tough when I just don't want to! And then a switch seems to throw itself, and things that were impossible are so easy. I make myself nuts.

Have been through several cost-cutting meetings this AM - we are a supplier into the automotive industry, and no one knows what is going to happen. Right now, we are just cutting everything we possibly can, and hoping to keep headcount. It's tough when you're a lean, mean, fighting machine!

Instead of working out on the rowing machine and the recumbent bike, I swam laps for half an hour last night. For me, the trick seems to be to keep juggling the exercise so that I don't get bored, so I'm trying to not only do different things, but to keep changing up - I'm thinking of adding intervals to my recumbent bike workout - the only question is, where does warm-up end, so I don't mess my knee up when I start working hard. I'll figure it out.

Well, let me go proofread some stuff.

Will drop in later.
Old 12-17-2008, 07:04 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I am pleased with myself. I got a 1/2 hour in on the treadmill this morning and then had a workout with my trainer this afternoon.

Just wanted to mention that I'll be out of town for a few days starting tomorrow, and probably not checking in on 3fc. I'm headed out for my grandmother's 90th bday party! But shhhh... it's a surprise!
Old 12-18-2008, 09:32 AM   #28  

Heather - have a wonderful time at the party! My family doesn't make old bones, as a rule, so I'm quite jealous.

I have been weighing myself daily - I realized that I was avoiding the scale when I was "bad" (yeah, like I'm 7), and that I had no idea what ordinary fluctuation was. Ordinary fluctuation is huge. I vary 2-3 lbs per day, and it doesn't seem to have that much to do with what I ate the day before. It seems to have more to do with NOTHING... I paid attention to salt, to exercise, to calories, it all boils down to, if I eat less calories than my body burns, eventually the change shows up on the scale.

Carol, you cannot possibly be the world's slowest loser, because I'm positioning myself for that title - I know the big ladies on Biggest Loser were losing 5-10 lbs per week, but I'm losing 1 most weeks, sometimes 2, although I don't know what causes that. I wish I were getting better results, but here's my mantra:

Losing weight is a wonderful side benefit of eating properly and exercising regularly.

TTFN
Old 12-18-2008, 09:50 AM   #29  

Hope its ok if i jump in...

Teri- tell me more about low carb and perimenapause please..I carry most of my weigh in my hips and apron area. I have been counting calories and losing great until the past few months and i have slacked off. I have also slacked off on exercise and eating right. Today is day 2 OP.
Old 12-18-2008, 01:08 PM   #30  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Hi ladies,

What a crappy weather week! Winter with a vengence. Hopefully, we are going to miss the ice/freezing rain they have been predicting for this afternoon and tonight.

I'm doing well at getting back into logging my food and getting a grip on the calories. Wow, that is so easy to lose track of and its a drag; but its gotta be done. I haven't been feeling all that swell this week and haven't gotten back into the cardio yet. I plan to this weekend.

About the low carb and perimenopause thing, my doctor recommended the South Beach style of eating but said to skip the phase 1 part. That is supposed to be the best eating plan for belly fat and for those with higher cholesterols and diabetics. All of which are common in our pre-golden years. What really helped me was when I was tracking my food and paying attention to "added sugars" vs. "natural sugars". Added sugars are in processed foods and natural sugars are what's in food as it is; i.e. sugar content of an apple. She also said to to look at the glycemic index when evaluating carbs. Carbs are getting a bad rap when its really about the sugars in carbs. There needs to be more emphasis that South Beach is a healthy carb diet; not just a low-carb diet. And it should be a way of eating; not just a diet.

I'm copying this over from CalorieKing on sugar.

Quote:
When you think of sugar you probably picture the white granules you stir into your coffee. Actually, this is just one form of sugar, called sucrose, that is extracted from sugar cane or sugar beet. Technically, sugar is a carbohydrate that occurs naturally in every fruit and vegetable. It is the major product of photosynthesis, the process by which plants transform the sun's energy into food.

You can think of sugars in two groups:

Naturally-occurring sugars – This term refers to sugars that occur naturally in foods such as fructose in fruit and lactose in milk and dairy products. Be aware, however, that fructose can also be used as an added sugar in some beverages, some food/energy bars, and some “natural” packaged foods (e.g. cookies in a health food store).

Added sugars – An added sugar is any type of sugar that is added to food, such as the sugar you use in baking, or the sugar you add to your coffee. Added sugar can take many different forms, including: Raw sugar, brown sugar, cane sugar, sucrose, glucose, fructose, malt, maltose, corn syrup, lactose, sorbitol, mannitol, honey, molasses, evaporated cane juice, and barley malt extract.

What is sugar for?
Energy. When sugar is metabolized it supplies calories for energy in the form of carbohydrates. Four calories of energy are provided by every one gram of carbohydrate you eat. However, added sugars are not a good choice of carbohydrate for energy because they provide few nutrients for the amount of calories. Natural sources of sugar such as milk, fruit and other unrefined foods are a much better choice.

Taste! Of course, what sugar is most loved for is the taste it adds to food. Even in fruits and vegetables it’s the naturally-occurring sugars that provide flavor. Refined sugar is often used to add flavor to everyday foods. For example, you might sprinkle brown sugar on your oatmeal or pour maple syrup on your pancakes. This use of added sugars can be fine in moderation, but watch those extra spoonfuls – they’re an easy way to add an unhealthy amount of extra sugar to your diet.

Food technology. Refined sugar is also important in cooking, and not just for flavor. For example, sugar helps bread to rise by providing food for the yeast. Sugar also helps prolong the shelf life of baked products and acts as a preserve in jams and jellies.
When I follow this plan, I lose weight. And its not that hard once you become aware of the added sugar culprits. So, its rather stupid on my part, to "forget" my plan and go back to the unhealthy way of eating.

Backing down off my now!

Heather - Have a great time away!
Closed Thread