Closed Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 08:57 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Default 300+ And Getting Fit after 40 #188

This thread is a sub-set of the 300+ thread.

This group is for those dealing with the challenges of having a significant amount of weight to lose and being fit which becomes harder after age 40. If you're an old or new friend and not over 40 and feel this is the place to post, jump right in.
Old 12-09-2008, 08:59 AM   #2  

Valerie's back!

I had a crappy morning yesterday, literally.
Short story. When you clog the toilet, it's a bad idea if it's also running! I figured this out when I clogged the 2nd floor toilet, and 40 min later, water started pouring out a light fixture downstairs!

Not fun. But all is okay now.

So, that's why I wasn't here yesterday morning!
Old 12-09-2008, 09:31 AM   #3  

Default Good Morning Ladies!

Heather - What a wake-up call! Ick! Hope today is much better for you.

VAL!!! I'm so glad to see you back and so sorry to hear about your friends. Don't remember what I said to make you think my WI wasn't bad...My official WI is on Saturdays - and I haven't been in THREE weeks! What we need is a scared smiley. A week ago Monday it was up...but not much...but the next day it was up a LOT. I hate that. I'm really not looking forward to it. I've not done well in the three weeks I've been away - not that I've eaten like a total pig all the time, but I've done very little in the line of paying attention. I hate this time of year. Seems like there's a party every other day and we're so busy with other things as well...but I'm trying a bit harder this week. We'll see.

Elmay: You have a very positive attitude over being out of work two weeks, looking at it as time off to go skiing! Hope you get to do just that.

Sue: Your posts are usually so positive and pleasant to read. Sounds like you are doing very well keeping things under control and you should be proud of yourself!

Flatiron

Gotta run everyone. Time to be judicial. I'm not really feeling well today and may not stay at work...we'll see.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:20 AM   #4  

Height: 5' 7"

Valerie - yeah - May it be the first in a string of many.

Heather - Oh, dear, plumbing! I hate low-flush toilets. We have been in this house for 4 years, and this is the first time we've ever had them, since I love old houses (I grew up in one built in 1917 and then we moved to one built in the 1760s -- it had no indoor plumbing when we moved in, but a two-holer out behind the barn). We keep plumber's friends in every bathroom now.

Lilion -I'm so sorry that you're not getting good results. Believe me, I know what you're talking about. I don't think I ever realized how little "really tasty/bad" food it took to totally mess up my weight loss. Because I didn't record my food on the days I was "bad." I knew what "good" looked like, but not "bad." This is a change I really am trying to make - although, you would be appalled at what my Custom Foods list looks like on FitDay.
Go be judicial, for as long as you can.

So, let me tell you my horror story. Y'all remember how proud of myself I was to have handled the whole Macaroni Grill situation without eating pasta? Well, let me tell you...
I looked up the sole in MG's online Nutrition (and let me tell you it wasn't easy to find) to find out that the meal was 2000 CALORIES . I would never have known, if I wasn't trying to record it (I still haven't put it in, I'm sick to my stomach over this). I WOULD HAVE BEEN BETTER OFF EATING PASTA (although not Fettucine Alfredo).
So I went to the rec center, and worked out for over 0.5 hr. And went home and put left over turkey on lettuce with some salsa for dinner. Must have worked, cause my weight wasn't up this AM - of course, it wasn't down either.
Oh, God, this weekend is the office Christmas party. Maybe if I work out really hard all week - water aerobics tonight!
Positive thought for the day - I haven't lost much recently, but my size 22 stretch jeans are getting baggy. Maybe I am building a little muscle, and losing a little fat? That would be so acceptable.

TTFN
Sue
Old 12-09-2008, 01:42 PM   #5  

Sue -- It's not even a low-flush toilet!!

WOW, 2000 calories and NOT pasta! YEESH! Live and learn.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:39 PM   #6  
aka Valerie

S/C/G: 350/345/195

Lilion, I thought you said it wasn't as bad as you feared... that's better than worse than you feared, right? OK, still not good I guess. I seriously feel for you. I was scared to get back on the scale again because I knew I was close to the big 3, and my scale just says "err" when you step on at about 303. I was terrified.

Poor heather! Done mopping up yet?? You poor thing.

Sue - Acceptable?? Adding muscle is essential! That's great - keep workin' that bootie. And a HUGe thanks for warning us off of that MG mega-meal!!

Day Two - not perfect, but still way better. Exercise is more on my mind, my ankle is feeling better each day, and I'm almost getting excited about getting on the scale after a week and seeing it go down.

On the flip side, hormones are raging, screwed up a bit at work, it just coulda been a better day. But word has it we get another shot at the game tomorrow - yeaaaa!

HAVE A GREAT WEDNESDAY!
Old 12-10-2008, 12:23 PM   #7  

Unhappy Good Morning Ladies!

So, went home sick yesterday and got a call that we'd all gotten letters telling us we have to re-apply for our jobs by December 23, or it will be assumed we don't want to work here anymore. Got mine first thing this morning. Merry Freakin' Christmas! Apparently the Governor-elect is making all non-merit employees reapply to keep their jobs. So at least we aren't singled out, kind of.

Of course, the auditor's report that indicates we're so backlogged that it will take 7 years for us to catch up has hit the news. Some papers and tv stations aren't too bad. But one paper started their article, "Dead-beat Dad's aren't the only ones to blame when single mom's don't get child support." They fail to mention that we get in 12,000 cases a year and until recently only had 10 hearing officers and that we're not writing little one-page reports, we're writing orders with all the force of a court order and so it takes some time to do it right.

Ahhh, the joy of Civil Service.

Nothing new to report diet-wise, except to admit to some depression-eating yesterday. Big surprise there.

Gotta go work on that 7-year backlog. Later ladies!
Old 12-11-2008, 12:32 AM   #8  

Lilion -- Goodness! What a mess! Please take care of yourself.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:13 AM   #9  

Oh, Lilion - it's all such crap, isn't it?
Well, anybody who doesn't read their e-mails or is so unplugged to the office network as to not here of this probably deserves to not keep their jobs, but it's not like you don't have better things to do with your time.

Valerie - are you an Ohio State fan by any chance? Asks the Ann Arborite...oh, I forgot, I lived in Columbus before I moved to Michigan (the state the rest of the country is trying to destroy, sorry for the politics, but boy are we scared here),...

For me, it's not the bootie - it's the gut - the menopot was (and still kinda is) totally out of control. Physical therapy for the knees got me exercises that are making my quads and such feel like real muscle, and I exercise on a NuStep (a sort of recumbant bike), and I have justed added a rowing machine, which my back and shoulders think is incredibly cool, and I think I feel some exercises at the bottom of my tummy actually working - I have to be careful of my knees though - the physical therapist was like ROWING MACHINE? But I only keep one leg in the holders at a time, and rotate every couple of minutes.

On the positive side, which is the new record-every-day-as-though-it-were-your-last regime. Because I was eating healthy, had oatmeal for breakfast, and turkey and salsa salad for dinner, the calories from the monster meal weren't too awful. I divided it over 2 days, to start with, and both days ended up being just under 2000 calories, which is my break-even point.
And this morning, I was down another pound!!!! Won't change ticker til Sunday, lest this prove to be an aberration, but I so feel better.

DD and I watched Biggest Loser Tuesday, and she was like - how can anybody lose 7 (or 9!) lbs in a week. I said they can't - they are spending 8 hrs per day in the gym, and that's just not realistic. 1-2 lbs per week - but that got to her, because she has just started trying to shed a few pounds, and she can hardly WAIT for it to be all gone. I hate bursting her bubble.

Well, take care, my flock. I really have to earn a living too.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:33 AM   #10  

Unhappy Good Morning Ladies!

Happy Friday..... {{sigh}}

Started the morning yelling at DH and storming out without breakfast. So...one sausage croissant sandwich later I'm full, no longer on the verge of tears, and feeling remorse at how I handled things...and how I ate a sausage croissant sandwich.

DH is the BEST man in the world. Honestly he is. But after 4 years in the Marines and 14 as a prison guard and 2 in probation/parole, he has a very domineering personality when it comes to our kid. I know he doesn't mean it, but sometimes it seems he just picks and lectures and criticizes and that is his sole communication with the boy. He can't let anything slide. This morning, after a number of other things, the boy is going out the door and he tells him to zip his coat. DS reply's "ok". That lead to a lecture on how the proper response is "yes dad" and not a surley "ok" and the tone the boy used until I yelled "JESUS CHRIST JIM". Oops. I didn't actually mean to say it out loud. So after DS left I figured in for a penny in for a pound, and I was so upset anyway I yelled at him more, tossed my cereal back into the box, got ready and went to work. I didn't leave without saying anything at least. I did apologise for saying that loud enough for him and DS to hear and tell him I knew he was mad and we'd have to talk when we weren't both upset. Said "I love you" and left. But still it started the day off so badly and I HATE that.

So I'm now at work with my head totally NOT in the game.

The day can only get better, right?

Last edited by Lilion; 12-12-2008 at 09:36 AM.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:19 AM   #11  

Lilion - I'm sorry that a tough spot spilled over into your eating. But that is why we're here, isn't it? I always let my emotions spill over into my food. And when I don't, I'm so aware.
Your day will get better, and hopefully you will have a productive conversation with your husband. I fear that I tend to be rather like him, especially when I used to PMS (which I don't do anymore, thank God), but I always prayed that there's a middle ground between letting my kid be a sullen, mouthy brat, and insisting that she stand inspection every morning. I think we achieved it (see my post about taking her to a cookie-baking party), but we did it more by veering from one side of the strictness line to the other, never hitting the happy medium.

Well, my daughter turns 19 today. And I am proud of the young woman she is. So I guess we did it, even though sometimes we did not do it with grace or charm.

Warning - Below, I share something that I don't like about myself, so please don't tell me to change. I am trying, but I would actually prefer to go back to Edith Wharton's time, when people still had manners.

I'm really hungry this AM - stopped off for some blood work, and had an interesting discussion with one of the clerks. I hate it when people call me by my legal name. I shared it with a cousin, and I was always the one who used a variant. Susan is my cousin, NOT ME! OKAY???
And I grew up in a time and a place where people were a little more formal than they are in the MidWest, so I am perfectly happy to respond to Sue or Ms Wallace, or whatever, but I hate being called Susan, because that's not me, and when you call me that, you are saying that you are pretending to be my friend, manipulating me into feeling good about our encounter, when I would prefer that we be professional about it - in which case, I'll happily call you Ms Smith, if you call me Ms Jones. So I told her that I hated this, a lot, and I would prefer that she not do that. She explained that she wanted her patients to know that she cared, which was an interesting spin, and it made me think. Not enough to want to be make fake-friends with an 18-yr-old gatekeeper, but still, since people insist on doing this, I'm hoping that this conversation will help me let go of this - it actually raises my blood pressure, for heaven's sake. So I'm hungry, because I raised my stress level.

Fortunately, I had a Greek yogurt in my purse for breakfast. It wasn't enough, but we are going out for office Christmas, so I need the calories.

Well, now you all know just how weird I am.
Old 12-12-2008, 12:18 PM   #12  

Sue, Thanks for the kind words. I was actually going to call DH and at least apologise for yelling at him. He called me first. I was the only one who apolgised, but then, he didn't do anything to me...it was DS he was picking at, so I guess I don't really need an apology from him. We didn't talk about it, but we will. I'm still too upset really. We never fight. Ever. I get mad and yell. He says nothing. Then later we talk calmly. Probably best. You said it perfectly when you said, "I always prayed that there's a middle ground between letting my kid be a sullen, mouthy brat, and insisting that she stand inspection every morning." My DS has never been an "easy" kid. But he is a good boy. Really, I always wished I had one of those sunny, happy kids that smiles all the time - but from birth he's been one of the solemn, grumpy ones. There's just got to be some middle-ground though, between constantly complaining about his tone of voice and everything else and letting rudeness slide. And you should be proud of your wonderful young woman! I hope I can say the same (substituting man of course) in a few years. I feel exactly the same way you do about the names, incidently. (I'm not sure if you are one of the few who know that Lilion isn't my real name - but you do now.) If I call someone Mr. Smith, I don't want him to call me Alice. I used to just consider it was due to my age...If I was speaking to someone much older than me I would ignore the first name, but now I get it in hearings and it goes right through me! I introduce myself with my full name - because people want to know who to complain about - but I call them Mr. Smith and Ms. Jones and I expect the same formality from them! I'm the freak'n JUDGE for heaven's sake! What makes them think they should use my first name!!! And I don't really want them to call me that in any professional setting. I call my doctor "Dr. Green" - shouldn't his nurse, and he, call me Mrs. Shockley? Manners don't mean much anymore I guess.

Boy, do we sound like old biddies? I hope not!
Old 12-14-2008, 09:50 PM   #13  
Vortex

S/C/G: 330/see ticker/???

Hi all. Remember me? Glad to see you're all still around. I haven't been making any effort for the last six months or so... surprise, surprise, that's why you haven't seen me. Thought I'd check in and say hello, since I know I need to get restarted.

Hope everyone's coping with the holidays.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:08 AM   #14  

Vortex - welcome back! We all seem to check in and out on an I'm interested basis.

Lilion - Your son may be a lot like my daughter. She takes everything hard, and she is no morning person. Your description sounds so much like things that happen in our house - it got better when both her dad and I stopped expecting anything in the morning. I'm no morning person, either, so I should understand where she is coming from.
I'm not surprised that your name is a pseudonym, wasn't there a lovely movie with this name starring Jean Seberg or Julie Christie eons ago? And thank you for sharing your opinion about public informality. I thought I was the only intolerant old fart out here.

The runup to the office Christmas party was a little tough - I had my oatmeal Sat morning, and did some running around for underwear. I decided to wear DD's prom dress from last year, it is black, cut for a nice chest (which she has, and I don't - I swear the last 10 lbs has all come from boobage) so I wanted to get some Spanx and cutlets to make the top fit properly. And I got my hair done, and did some Xmas shopping - and to make a long story short, there was Sbarro's with their nasty greasy pizza slices that I love so much, and I had one. Then the party was filet mignon, with garlic mashed potatoes and asparagus. So much potato, so little asparagus, but the filet was to die for. We won't go into the dessert buffet, except to say that only chocolate cake passed my lips - I avoided every piece of ganache, and all the tarts and the candy. And I ate fruit - gorgeous, perfect raspberries.

And I danced. And I looked good. The swimming and the rowing have given me nice shoulders and a smooth back, and the upper arms actually have muscles in them. They aren't like, firm, but they are shapely. I got compliments. This is 2 sizes down from where I was last party, so I am definitely on the progress, not perfection track.

And I worked out Sunday morning for 55 mins, so I am not totally evil.

The one lb down I saw a few days ago has retreated back into its shell - but one of the reasons that I weigh every day is to see what my patterns are, and I am noticing that the first step in dropping a few pounds is for a new, lower weight to appear, then disappear until I'm convinced my weight is broken, then I solidly drop about 2 pounds, and we play the same game of peekaboo a couple of pounds lower.

I keep trying to remind myself that the weight loss is a pleasant side effect of eating properly and exercising regularly, but I really want to BE THIN NOW. Won't happen, but this has been a social, pleasant holiday season, and my weight is down a little, and both of those statuses are good things.

Well, must go earn paycheck.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:44 AM   #15  

STOP!

New week, new thread!!
Closed Thread