Closed Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 07:49 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Default 300+ And Getting Fit after 40 #184

This thread is a sub-set of the 300+ thread.

This group is for those dealing with the challenges of having a significant amount of weight to lose and being fit which becomes harder after age 40. If you're an old or new friend and not over 40 and feel this is the place to post, jump right in.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:50 AM   #2  

I am soooo tired of grading. But I see the light at the end of the tunnel.

I had to buy a fancy dress for an event this weekend yesterday. I found a pretty velvet dress I really like and got it. But if I gain ANY more weight, I would have to head back to women's for dresses. BIG WAKEUP CALL!
Old 11-10-2008, 11:10 AM   #3  
BELIEVE!

Happy Monday Chicks!

Heather - I'm sure you will look fantastic in your new, velvet dress! It should be good motivation. I have a formal event next month and will hopefully find something pretty to wear! Fortunatly none of my old dresses fit anymore (too big) so I will have to shop for something.

I need to work...just wanted to say hi!

Barb
Old 11-10-2008, 10:13 PM   #4  
BELIEVE!

Terri.....How did it go today?

I hope everyone had a wonderful day.

I'm off to dreamland..night ladies.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:38 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Hi ladies,

Dang, it is going to be hard to leave the house today. The wind is strong and it feels like a great stay at home day. Alas, must go to work.

Okay, round one of the CPA exam is done. It got grueling. I did okay through the three sets of multiple choice. At some point, I thought to myself that this is something I can do and that the study materials are adequate. But then when I got to the simulations, they were harder than I expected. At some point after 3 hours, my brain fizzled. I'm pretty sure that I am on the bubble of being able to pass. Not too many actually pass on their first try so if I don't, I won't feel like a loser. Especially since I am doing this on my own without assistance and since its been 20 years since I took some of these classes. I won't get my scores until February. So I am going to prepare to take a different section in January and be prepared to repeat this one before the end of February.

Onward and back to the fitness quest. I'll pack my things for the fitness center tonight.

Better get the doggies up and me into the shower. to all!
Old 11-11-2008, 02:56 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 305/247/<200

Height: 5'9"

Hello everyone!

I got off-plan again and went to lurking and then just not checking 3FC mode. I have been quite depressed lately -- due to work and relationship issues. The fact that winter has arrived in the Pacific Northwest and we have had about two weeks of continuous rain hasn't helped. I made an appt with my dr and talked to her about my depression -- she increased my prescription and I am feeling better. I cancelled my appt with my trainer last week, but re-scheduled for last night. The combination of the meds and pep talk from my trainer helped me get back OP.

I think I'm going to start working out at home more -- my work pal that was working out with me is swamped with work and has no time to work out -- and with taking my boy to school in the a.m. and commitments in the p.m., I don't have much time to work out at the work gym. I'm going to stop running & go back to the elliptical for a while -- running was just a little too hard on my knees at my current weight.

I realize that I am about at the point that I quit working out/eating right in 2005-6. I don't want to re-gain this weight again and I want to keep losing because even though I can do some things, I can't do everything I want to yet. Even though I hate to stumble, I am proud of myself for getting back up and trying again. There's an old Nike commercial with Michael Jordan where he talks about all the shots he's missed and other times he failed. At the end, he says "I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And, that is why I succeed." I've got that posted in my office to remind me to keep trying. [If you want to see the MJ video, go to YouTube and search for "jordan failure" -- you'll see it right away.]

As far as work goes, they laid off 150 people here, but not me. I think I am "safe" for a few more months at least which is good.

It is good to see you all here and have an OP week!
Old 11-12-2008, 10:20 AM   #7  

Hey all - just flying by. At work today and a ton to do.

Elmay, I hope your job remains secure. Layoffs are a horrible thing, I deal with the fallout of other peoples job losses every day and just thank God for mine! But given how far behind I am...well...lets just say working hard would be a good idea.

Terri, I heard the CPA exam is horrible! Is it correct that if you fail one part you have to retake the whole thing? Or has that changed? Either way, you have more smarts and guts than me.

I scrapped the red velvet dress for now. I don't have time to work on a gown I haven't ever made before. Instead, we're going for green wool with gold brocade sleeves. I got started this weekend and I'm down to the heming and hand-sewing a bizzillion little eyelets. My poor fingers are already sore! But I can get it done on time. Why not just wear something I already own? Because I'm an idiot and a glutton for punishment.

Gotta run...
Old 11-12-2008, 05:51 PM   #8  

Hi everyone! I'm reading everything, but don't have much time to respond. One of my poor furbabies has been having some tummy upset lately (looks like pancreatitis) and that's been occupying my time and attention, and robbing my sleep... I've missed workouts (but not meals!) but I'm doing okay.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:33 PM   #9  
BELIEVE!

Hi Girls - I hope everyone is having a wonderful evening! I'm worn out, but pretty good. Last night I started coughing a lot and getting congested. I didn't waste anytime getting to the Doc this morning. This time every year, like clockwork, I get bronchitis. I typically take too long to get to the Doc and 2 years ago I ended up in the hospital. I started antibiotics today, alond with an inhaler and cough meds when needed. I'm hoping to nip it quickly!

I was supposed to have a training session today but we pushed it til tomorrow afternoon. I still got in my cardio along with some crunches and stretching. I made sloppy joes tonight for dinner. They were yummy! I was surprised that sloppy joe mix isn't bad at all in terms of calories. I was going to used ground turkey but decided on 92% lean beef. They hit the spot.

I'm just watching the CMAs, playing on the computer and getting ready for sleep. Tomorrow is going to be an early and long day.

Terri - YAY for getting through round 1 test! Hopefully those scores are great and you don't have to worry about this section again. Onto the next one! How was the fitness center tonight? Tried any good recipes lately? I've got to start mixing up my dinners.

Elaine - I'm so glad you came back out of hiding. Happy to hear that you are perking back up. I'm going to have to check out the MJ video.

Lilion - Good luck with the gown. Sounds like something I would do....make something new instead of going with something I already have. I go a bit overboard at times taking on too much.

Heather - Oh...sorry about the pup. I've gone one under the weather as well. Not sure what's going on with her.

Does everyone have Thanksgiving plans? I can't believe it's holiday season again. We are taking a road trip to Ohio to visit my FIL for Thanksgiving. We will be there almost a week. I'm determined to keep up my workouts and healthy eating on the road. It will be a good challenge for me. I'll definately enjoy a bit on Thanksgiving, but in moderation! We are ordering the meal and I think that will be less tempting to me. If I was making my homemade favs I would have more trouble controlling myself.

AHHhhhhhhhhh.......my 3 yo is in his bed crying.....mommy to the rescue.

Catch ya later.
Barb
Old 11-13-2008, 12:19 PM   #10  

Hi ladies,

I've started to post several times this week but either get side-tracked or writer's block. I have been pretty much relaxing this week. I did clean carpet last night since there were muddy paw prints due to the rain this week.

I didn't make it to the fitness center as planned. I got to feeling guilty about not coming home until 7 pm after work - feeling like I needed to pay attention to DH and the pups after I had been so focused on studying. I did exercise on the stationary bike at home so I wasn't a total waste. I've got my stuff to go tonight and then I'll go again on the weekend.

I keep pulling new recipes out for DH to try but he's kind of lazy about doing them. He did learn how to make stew this week. Really good with lean beef and lots and lots of veggies. Using corn starch for a thickening was the key. Usually, we end up with beef veggie soup. I've got a pasta bake that I want him to do with whole wheat pasta, lots of red & yellow peppers, onions and chicken. Something that will work for my lunch and can freeze.

Barb - Hope the meds kick in fast and you don't get down and out sick. No time for that with your workout and the boys!

Heather - Yikes about the poor pup. for you too! What is the treatment for that? Keep us posted. Be sure to keep that dress front and center as a reminder!

Lilion - My motto is, why do something easy when you can make life really nuts? Easy is boring!! That would be a beautiful gown. Work hard!

Elaine - Sorry to hear that you're struggling with life issues. I am going to have to start back at scratch on the C25K again. Oh well, using it to do interval walking or the elliptical is just as effective. The work stress is happening all over it seems. All the more reason why people need to get focused on healthy things to offset the work stress. Take care and don't you give up!

I better get busy. to all!
Old 11-13-2008, 02:50 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 305/247/<200

Height: 5'9"

Well, the good news is that I'm not so depressed anymore -- the med change is helping. The bad news is that I'm finding it very difficult to live with my ex (we co-parent her 5 y/o grandson, Andre). I think the time has come for us not to live together. I'm not feeling too bad about that (at the moment -- it might change), but the thought of not living with Andre is breaking my heart. I know I will still be able to see him and be part of his life, but, at the same time, I know it will be different.

But, on the good side, my job is as stable as anyone else's in this economy, I have friends I can talk to both online and in real life, we have the financial resources to have multiple options with regards to where we live (we're not stuck living together because we can't afford to do anything different), and we're both good people. I know it will work out... but it has been hard...

In other good news, even though I had plenty of excuses not to, I have worked out 3 days in a row and I'm staying OP with my eating.
Old 11-13-2008, 05:49 PM   #12  

Oh, I need to get back to the gym. I've lost this week.

Terri -- We have to give him a very bland diet for a few days. High fat foods can cause further inflammation of the pancreas. He's really already doing better. This morning he did NOT want his "white rice" breakfast after seeing the other puppy eating kibble. He kept looking at me with this WTH look in his eyes. It was so sad!

We've now added cottage cheese to the mix and he really likes that. So, he gets 5 small servings a day of that. He's also on an antibiotic. We're hoping that he can go back to kibble early next week.

Thanksgiving! My dad and his GF are coming to visit for a couple of days. I'll cook some of the classics.
Old 11-14-2008, 10:12 AM   #13  

Hi ladies,

Friday!

Not much new here. I made it to the fitness center last night for time on the treadmill and the circuit machines. Tonight, DH has the water physical therapy again right after work. This week, if the sun is out, I need to do a few winterizing things outside and then get call the bill work caught up and done up for the rest of the month.

We're doing Thanksgiving at our house this year for my side of the family. There will probably be around 20 people. I have decided that its time for new recipes and new experiences on the old standards and I like to do theme meals. So its a "Taste of Home" Thanksgiving and almost everything we're going to cook is coming from the Taste of Home group of recipes. My sister was horrified thinking I was going to make us eat brussel sprout casserole. But I'm not. Just doing new recipes of the staples. I need to get those all chosen and assigned this weekend. I was bored of the same old corn casserole, green bean casserole, hash brown potato casserole, strawberry pretzel salad. All great foods but just in the mood to try something new.

I also need to work on a menu for DH for next week since he's not planning very well on his own. What's up with that? I think its called laziness on his part. We need to go to Sam's this weekend too. I'm trying to get us on a strict cash budget and cut some of our expenses. One of which was his habit of going to the grocery store every other day and spending $60 for two people.

Heather - Glad to see that help for the pup is food oriented and not expensive meds and vet treatment. Don't look him in the eyes!

Elaine - Good to see you having good days again and back at the healthy stuff. I think all I work stress I see around me is the driver for me working on the CPA exam. Never know what tomorrow brings and better be prepared for a future change.

Better get busy. to all!
Old 11-14-2008, 10:51 PM   #14  

Terri -- Way to go on getting to the gym. I did too! First time in... a while... but I should be able to get back on a more regular routine for the next month or so!

"Don't look him in the eyes" -- I love it, and will try to remember! He's got such expressive eyes, too!!

But I know I have to be strong, because other food is bad for him! He's been doing much better eating at all the other meals today. Dog knows I mean business!
Old 11-15-2008, 09:59 PM   #15  
BELIEVE!

Hi Girls!
How is everyone's weekend?

All is good here...it's been a little challenging because we have a houseguest and he and my husband both like to eat junk. I've done pretty darn good with the tempations they've had in front of me. Today was the first day in a long, long time I have exceeded my calorie goal. By about 300. All in all I'm still pleased with the day. I had a great training session this morning then we went to Lancaster, PA for a ride on a steam engine. The boys love it! Then is was lunch/dinner at a PA Dutch homestyle restaurant...that's were the extra calories came from.

Tomorrow morning I am going to hit the gym for cardio and then a day full of laundry, grocery shopping, etc. My usual Sunday. We leave next Friday for vacation so I have tons to start organizing.

Remember me mentioning the newspaper column that my trainer recommended me for? Well, it's happening. I am meeting the photographer at the gym on Monday and the column is scheduled to run on 11/25. I am a little nervous about the whole thing. You all know how personal weight loss is and it's scary to be such an open book. Of course I am proud of it as well. I just hope it can inspire someone else to think...if she can do it, so can I. I will share it with you when it comes out.

Well, I think I am going to watch a little TV...have a great night everyone!
Barb
Closed Thread