Closed Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 03:49 PM   #46  
Anne

S/C/G: 407/358-Dec2007/tracker/125

Height: 5'4"

Carol, I think I posted it in the blog. Let me see if I can find it....

"Before I add my food for the day I thought I’d talk about the zucchini chips I started yesterday. They turned out rather nicely, however, 7oz of raw zucchini turned into just 1/2oz of chips. To make them I took a small/medium zucchini and sliced it into rounds using a mandolin we have, using the 3mm blade setting (~1/8″). I dipped the rounds into a mixture of soy sauce and water (1/4 cup to 1/2 cup, although you use almost none of it) for 5 mins. Afterwards I spread the rounds out on the mesh screens for my dehydrator and sprinkled with garlic powder.

I put them into the dehydrator at 135F for approx. 12 hours. It might have been less time but I didn’t want to run it overnight so I turned it off after 8 hours (they were still flexible though in the morning) and then did another 4 hours today. They are quite crispy with a nice taste.

I originally thought that the soy sauce was to colour them, however I’m amazed how much of the saltiness is retained. I may have used too much garlic as I sprinkled each one with a little. Next time I’d put the screens on the counter, sprinkle the tray, then wipe up the excess.

So in the end they were quite nice. My mother said it’s the only time she’s eaten zucchini and liked it. I gave her most of the chips and took a few to a neighbour that was interested in the process. I doubt I’ll have enough zucchini this year to be bothered trying it again. However, if I’m wrong and inundated, I would definitely make them again. Next year I have a potentially better spot for the plants in the garden so I would probably put in a couple of plans just to use for drying.

From a calorie perspective I’d really just count the value of the zucchini itself. The amount of time it sits in the soy solution I doubt it picks up much and the garlic powder is negligible. So an ounce of chips would be 83 calories. I put the original 7oz of zucchini into FitDay with 1/2 Tb of soy sauce and 1/2 tsp of garlic powder and it came out to 51 cals (although my soy sauce has a lower calorie count than the generic one)."

I can't easily link the picture... so I'll upload it here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chips.jpg (91.1 KB, 4 views)
Old 08-28-2008, 04:25 PM   #47  
Proud Army Mom

S/C/G: 319.2/265/160

Height: 5'6"

Ok this is the reason for my question on the “word” to describe your struggle! I see my struggle as a brick wall.......that I would like to crash down and step over it!!! So I thought what a lovely visual to make it more real for me! I found a graphic of a brick wall and I am adding all of your “words” to the bricks. I want to be able to take down the wall brick by brick and use the bricks as stepping stones to a healthier, leaner, more whole (spiritually) ME! Every word you all have given me is true for me as well! I will be adding my brick wall to my signature and blog page as well........then as I can seriously contemplate each topic and get a handle on it in my life and my eating...........then I will break down that brick........my vision is to then have a pathway of brick with “words” that describe the benefits of the new me!

Plus by each of us thinking of one word, we each can start to come out of our struggles by contemplating why we feel this way and how can we change it and also then think of the benefit from our change!

Ok enough of my soapbox theory LOL just needed some motivation for myself and figured others might benefit from it as well!

Annie: that is a good word to describe some of my feelings! I like the way you described yourself and the fear involved in losing so much weight! I completely understood what you meant!

I have been so excited all day about the trip........I want to lose as much as I can by then! Starting my exercise up next week again to get a move on some Fat! LOL

Well chickies gotta run toodles all
Old 08-28-2008, 07:46 PM   #48  

S/C/G: 351/ticker/175

Height: 5'9"

Bernice, oooo that sounds like so much fun to go on a cruise!! I hope you lose all the weight you want to! I'll be sending extra your way!! OOOO I love the brick wall logic. Looking forward to seeing that and breaking some too!

Debi, Yes they certainly did love to talk. It was hard to keep up with it and I finally just gave in and posted a couple times a week just to tell them how I was doing. It was fun though. I would wait a couple more days and see if your weight comes down. It could be so many things. Like you said, mid cycle, water weight, who knows with our bodies!

Annie, look out! More rain is a comin'! At least it is here. I hope you get the help you need to help you decide which career path you want to take. All of them sound like they would be right up your alley! Aw darn it! Was hoping you would make it to the 230s but needless to say, you've done such a fantastic job in one years time!!! I'm sure the doc was so proud of you!

Anne, if I make jam out of the wild blackberries we have here, can I use a sugar substitute? or will it mess it up? I'm clueless on how to make it but plan on finding some recipes for it. Can't be too hard.(hopefully)

Well today we got a line of credit on our bank account. It's helping us so much to get some bills caught up and now we will be saving $300 a month by doing this. We can finally get our wedding rings. Our other ones cracked and we've been wanting new ones anyhow, so this is the perfect opportunity since it was our 10th wedding anniversary this year. Other than that, we're going to go shopping tomorrow and get my healthy foods again so I can get my weight moving downward again. I can feel the motivation coming on again and hope it sticks with me for a long time.
have a great night girlies!
Debbie
Old 08-28-2008, 07:49 PM   #49  

Height: 5'7"

evening everyone,
I had a pretty good day with my little kids.My sister called and was making zuc bread and talked me into trying it..well its awesome nothing like the tasteless stuff my mom use to make,,,even the texture is different. I had it ready when my little ones woke up from their naps and they ate over a half of loaf..they loved it. Hubby came home and tried it..he thought it was spice cake..he liked it until i told him what it was..now he says he just cant get past it being a veggie bread. I ate one small peice of it,,but thats all!!
Im working on my last 64 ounces of water..not sure i will get it all in..but i am trying and i have gotten lots of exercise running upstairs today to the bathroom.LOL
I am debating about going for a walk tonight..i think the time alone would be nice...
I did great with my eating today..sounds like we are all really ready to get geared up for a few months of solid weight loss.
hugs to all
Old 08-28-2008, 08:05 PM   #50  
Freedom in living

S/C/G: ?/ticker/180

Height: 5'2"

Just wanted to remind you all that U R GR8! (ha ha kid lingo) Really you are all special and great! I love having you all contribute to my day!
Old 08-28-2008, 09:15 PM   #51  

S/C/G: 348.5/T/185

Bernice - my word is ME - its the best word to describe my struggles. it's also the word to describe my success. ME is accountable for my strength and my struggles.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:07 PM   #52  
Anne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie54 View Post
Anne, if I make jam out of the wild blackberries we have here, can I use a sugar substitute? or will it mess it up? I'm clueless on how to make it but plan on finding some recipes for it. Can't be too hard.(hopefully)
I don't know about making jam with a sugar substitute. I found a link that answers that question though: http://www.ochef.com/608.htm

The most generic recipe for jam is 1 pound of fruit to 1 pound of sugar. You can reduce the sugar a bit, depending on the fruit. I personally don't like overly sweet jams. A really quick example.

I took 1-1/2 lbs of raspberries, 1-1/2 pounds of blackberries and cooked them for about 15 mins with 1/2 cup water. I then sieved out the seeds (this is not fun), giving me about 8oz of seeds and pulp that I tossed. I put them back in a pan with 1 pound of rhubarb and 2-1/2 pounds of sugar. Even with the removed seeds I should have used 3-1/2 pounds of sugar. Blackberries have a lot of natural pectin (if they aren't overripe) so I knew it wouldn't be a big problem.

I brought the whole thing to a boil and boiled for 10 mins, and it made 8 cups of jam. The calorie count ended up as 40cals/Tb. Smuckers raspberry and blackberry jams run 50 cals/Tb and their 'simply fruit' jams run 40 cals. Their jams made with artificial sweeteners says 10 cals/Tb, but it's 20 (says 5g carbs which = 20 cals). It's first ingredient is water, and there's a whole bunch of things I can't pronounce in it. I'd rather use half of a fruit/sugar jam or fruit only preserve than the one that has more water in it than any other ingredient.

I'd suggest no matter what you decide that you try a small amount if you have the time to play around. The boiling times will be shorter and it will give you an idea of what you like.

A complete aside - I've been playing with protein pancakes a bit lately and take one of the homemade jams and thin it down with water - it makes a fast easy syrup... but I'm still thinking we might have some real maple syrup. Nope, for that I would need real pancakes.
Old 08-28-2008, 11:45 PM   #53  

S/C/G: 510/see tracker/160

Height: 5' 9 1/2"

Anne: I sooooo love your cooking wisdom! Okay, that being said, can I freeze salsa that I made tonight? It was my first attempt and it is soooo yummy. It is a bit more spicy than I like but my DH will love it!

Carol: I talked to my Dr. today about my excess skin issues. He took notes on it and he wants me to stop using baby powder for a while so I will "catch" a yeast infection so he can take photos and document it next week. I am so distraught over the thought of them taking photos of my tummy flap. He said it is the only way to get my insurance to pay for the surgery if he documents everything with photos etc. I will do it because of the pain of my back and the uncomfortableness of it all. I can't have the skin removed until I am at a stable weight for at least 3 months. I honestly am hoping that doesn't happen for quite a while so I can reach my goal weight. He does want to start the "paper trail" now though for my skin removal so all of my ducks will be in a row when the time is right.

Bernice:

Debbie: My Dr. was soooo proud of me and so pleased with my progress. It made me feel so happy. His office manager/marketing guy asked me if I would consider being in a commercial and on their website. He said that they are calling me a "poster child" for success. I felt really happy and told him I would definately consider it when they offer it to me. Happy 10 years when ever it was! Joel and I are celebrating our 23rd year anniversary on Sept. 1st!

Debi: Glad your zuc bread turned out well.

Julia: You are so sweet and great too!

Well, it is almost 9 p.m. and I need to eat something. The day has gotten away from me and I have not met my protein requirements for the day and won't be able to meet them but need to eat a little something. I got new vitamins when I was at the Dr.s today and the chocolate calcium ones you suck on are soooo yummy. I love them. lol.

Blessings all,
Annie
Old 08-29-2008, 12:03 AM   #54  
I ate it

S/C/G: 312/cw/140

Annie...chocolate vitamins that you suck on? I take the Viactive multi-vitamin but they are chewable..I'd be curious about yours. I think that they have enough folic acid for what my Dr. suggested (pre-natal and all) but just in case I decide to boost up a little bit. Anything to avoid taking a pill. Happy Anniversary and congrats on your continued success
Old 08-29-2008, 07:32 AM   #55  

Height: 5'7"

Just yesterday I posted in my message to catherine that i thought hubby had leveled out some..BOY WAS I WRONG!!! Keep us in your prayers during this long weekend. I will be trying to get ahold of his dr today but he isnt in the office so i will be calling the unit at the hospital.

Scales are still up over 2lbs,,and im still confused as to why..weigh in is tommorow..
hugs to all
Old 08-29-2008, 08:08 AM   #56  
Anne

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpal View Post
Anne: I sooooo love your cooking wisdom! Okay, that being said, can I freeze salsa that I made tonight? It was my first attempt and it is soooo yummy. It is a bit more spicy than I like but my DH will love it!
Fresh or cooked? I don't think either will freeze well (the cooked might) but if it's crisp/crunchy you'll lose all that. If you want to use it to cook with later though it shouldn't matter (nice over chicken breast). Freezing generally 'dulls' seasonings so it will not likely be as spicy when thawed and then cooked. Can you just keep it in the fridge? If it's fresh it will likely be good only a day or so after making. Cooked may keep a little longer. I'll admit that I don't freeze it, so I'm guessing.

Salsa is the tricky one for canning. It took me a couple of years to get one that I liked. I cook the base (tomato, vinegar, hot sauce, seasonings) then chop up more tomatoes, onions, and green pepper, adding them at the last minute (not cooking them). Then I sterilize the jars. Even then you have to open the jars and let the salsa 'crisp' up in the fridge before serving it. I'm still not sure that recipes transfer well (canning, jam) because there are things you just can't explain well (ie. like some jams make a certain noise when they're ready).

Last edited by RealCdn; 08-29-2008 at 08:39 AM.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:13 AM   #57  

Greetings my Peeps!

Anne, wow, your cooking is amazing! *sings* "you be jammin'!" hehe.

debi, I hope things calm down with DH this weekend.

I'm traveling this weekend with the dynamic duo.. these are my golden retriever hairballs that feed on each other's energy. They are great dogs and travel well, but I've never traveled so far with both of them. I'm wondering if they will try to wrestle in the back of the car.. hehe. They have the entire back of the Rav4 with the seats down. It's like traveling with children! They have as much stuff as I do... hehe.

Hugs and Luv,
Ratkitten
Old 08-29-2008, 08:27 AM   #58  

S/C/G: 348.5/T/185

Annie - I freeze salsa all the time when I'm too lazy to can it - works great.

Rat - where you headed? Be safe!
Old 08-29-2008, 09:13 AM   #59  

S/C/G: 351/286/140

Morning all..

We finally got some rain last night!! Yeah!! And really bad wind..funny thing is storms keep most people up..not me..I love em..and had the best sleep ever!

BERNIECE: What is this word thing???

I have a nice 3 day weekend comming up, and I am going to use it to my advantage. Going to get some crafting done.

Have a great day.
Old 08-29-2008, 09:23 AM   #60  
trying again!

S/C/G: 417/323/185

Hi everyone. I am not sure what size truck hit me yesterday but it must have been a big one. My arms and fingers and back are so sore from shovelling!! We have managed to almost finish the dirt. an hour or so left to do and i think it can wait until tomorrow afternoon. Tomorrow is the market and I need to be able to get some jewellry ready to replace what it was that I sold last week. I am hoping since the weather is not supposed to be very nice that we will have a busy and profitable day

I'll try to be back re: personals later once my fingers are able to type a bit easier
Closed Thread