Old 07-07-2008, 01:52 AM   #1  
Closed

S/C/G: 420/396/350

Height: 5'1"

Default I really THOUGHT i was doing good!

OK so i weigh in tonight, early, it wasn't supposed to be until tomorrow morning but i was anxious. I gained 2 pounds And here i thought i was doing so good! I did have some potato salad, mac salad, not in same day, only 1 serving, different days, and i had a freakin hamburger bun UGGGH, Slap me! I'm sorry now! Maybe i gained 2 pounds of muscle tho huh? Should i think that and feel ok about it? I did do alot of walking, so much that my calves hurt! I did other exercising too! So maybe it is muscle? No, i dont want to say its ok but yet i'm not going to let it stop me from continuing! I will just be stricter and continue on. I changed to the glycemic index diet this week.

I wasn't going to post my failure but i didn't think that was a good idea. too much hiding isn't good. So i'm trying to be up front about everything as much as possible.

I know that everyone has weeks like this and i know there will be more of them too. I'm not going to call it failure, i'm going to call it a muscle gain!

Is it possible to gain 2 pounds of muscle in 1 week? I hope so! Cuz damn i been good im tellin ya!

I mean geez i stopped at 1 serving of potato salad!! LoL I wanted more!! But only for a second!

Ok so onward eating healthy and exercising daily! I know i can do it!

OK i'm done rambling now. I just had to get that out.
BIG B00TY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 02:39 AM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I don't call it anything when it happens to me. It just IS. Sometimes I can pinpoint why (for example TOM or post-chinese food water retention are a bit obvious), but sometimes I can do everything right and still not lose (or even gain).

It's very possible that the extra exercise is causing some extra fluid retention, or this might just be a random incident. It may not even be a sign that you have to be stricter. It's possible that you could do everything exactly the same this week as last, and might find a big (or not so big) loss next week. Unfortunately, you can't really draw too many conclusions from one week.

Also, weighing in at the end of a day, can be misleading also, because you may still have all of the day's food sitting undigested in the digestive tract. I always weight 2 to 4 lbs more at bedtime than I will the next morning (it doesn't evaporate, I just end up going to the potty a couple times during the night).

For me, I combine lower carb/Gi eating with an exchange plan as backup (so I know approximately how many calories I am eating, and know that I'm eating a relatively balanced diet (The book the Duke Diet and the website hillbillyhousewife both outline restricted carb exchange plans, and based on them as models I just used my TOPS exchange plan and swapped out a few starch servings for protein servings and added a few vegetable servings, just for good measure). Lower carb controls my hunger, and I makes it possible for me to lose weight (I'm insulin resistant, so it's still unbearably slow to lose).

Everyone is different, but nearly everyone experiences the unpredictability of the scale at times. It helps me (though I often get lazy and go periods without doing so) to journal, and not just list the foods I eat, but how I'm feeling, what my weight is (I weigh daily, which I only recommend if you can emotionally distance yourself from the number. Although I weight daily, I only "count" my weigh-in at my TOPS meeting on Monday nights).

Hang in there, what you're experiencing is frustrating but normal.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 03:14 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 203 / 171 / 133

Height: 64"

Just a coupla points -- I'm betting you are going to lose when you weigh in the morning, so until then, forget about it. Next, I think you can gain two pounds of muscle in one week. And last, you're right -- hiding isn't good. It's a good part of how I wound up here in the first place.

Keep at it! You ARE doing good.
RMatS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 03:15 AM   #4  
Happy Vegan

S/C/G: 318.5/Ticker/155

Height: 5.8"

Im like Kaplods in that I weigh myself everyday, but I only count the actual loss on a Thursday. The other times are more like a little boost for the day to see that I am really losing weight!

Exercising more does make you hold fluid as your muscles need it for growth and repair. And its only natural you will weigh heavier in the evening as you've been eating and drinking during the day. Its best if you can to stick to one time of the day for weighing, I always do it once Ive woken up and been to the loo in the morning.

Did you weigh yourself again this morning?

Dont beat yourself up though, in the grand scheme of things 2lbs isnt so much, it will be off again!
SuomiSara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 07:35 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Scales are , but it DOES help to weigh the same time of day and under the same conditions every day.

As for muscle, for women it would be nearly impossible to gain 2 pounds of muscle in a week! Our bodies aren't designed to build a lot -- and to do so you not only need to be lifting heavy, but also eat a diet high in protein. Sorry to burst your bubble!

It's more likely some water weight and/or you just didn't lose as much fat as you thought.

Don't give up!

Last edited by Heather; 07-07-2008 at 07:35 AM.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 07:56 AM   #6  

Height: 5'7"

I never weight at night. I drink alot of water and it shows on the scales that night. I weigh in the morning after going to the bathroom. If you had drank extra water that day it might just be water still in your body. Also your muscles hold onto extra water when repairing themself from exercise. Let us know what the scales say on your weigh day.
debi
dgramie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 08:01 AM   #7  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

I can gain 5 pounds overnight and lose it the next day. water weight is like that.

it's not muscle. do not kid yourself. I hate when folks hide behind the OH I"M WORKING OUT I'M GAINING MUSCLE lie. we gain very very little muscle over short periods of time.

for me I weigh everyday.. but i don't really care about it unless i weigh the same today that I did a month ago....

just keep on going and know that white things like potatoes and pasta and flour can make you retain water....
ladybugnessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 08:16 AM   #8  
Anne

S/C/G: 407/358-Dec2007/tracker/125

Height: 5'4"

Definitely not muscle. I'm lifting heavy (managed 100lbs recently), eating higher protein, and I'm still not building muscle. About the best I'm doing is minimizing muscle loss. As others have said, weigh in at consistent times. My evening weights are always higher than morning ones. Water retention can easily throw weight off by a couple of pounds. This last week I was retaining water (puffy, morning sleep marks slow to go away, etc.) and so I increased my water consumption and got rid of it in a day (going down over 2 pounds, which definitely wasn't fat loss that fast). Also, sore muscles can retain water. On days after I lift weights I will be at least a pound heavier as the muscles retain water to repair themselves.

In the end, no matter what the cause, it's important to just keep eating well, and exercising. If you're consistent the weight loss will come.
RealCdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 09:01 AM   #9  
Closed

Thanks for all the great tips and points girls! I appreciate it!!

I cant weigh again this morning because i already drank 32 ounces of ice cold water! A new addition to my new healthier eating plan. I read that by doing that each morning on an empty stomach 30 minutes before your first meal will boost metabolism alot!

I didn't think i could get all that water down so fast but it was much easier than how i have been drinking it!

I never was a thirsty person so drinking lots of water always gave me a feeling of trying to drown myself! SERIOUSLY.

So it has always been hard for me to drink plenty of water each day. Hopefully it will be easier now.

Thanks again for all the resplies!! XOX
Old 07-07-2008, 11:11 AM   #10  
Dusty

S/C/G: 327/306/150

Height: 5ft 8in

Hey, the human body fluxuates 2 pounds up and down all throughout the day. Don't beat yourself up, I am sure you ARE doing really well, and those kind of results take time.

Hey does the 32 ounces of water thing work??! you'll have to let me know!

Dusty
DustyMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 01:15 PM   #11  
Closed

Thanks! Yes i will let you know if i see any results since starting it!
Old 07-07-2008, 03:08 PM   #12  
Ironman in Training

S/C/G: 302/205/150

Height: 5'5

I'm almost always 1-2 pounds lighter when I wake up then I am right before bed. I always weigh first thing in the morning I figure it's the most consistent.

While it's not likely you gained 2 from muscle... you do retain water for muscle repair... so it could be related to muscle growth just not in the way you assume.
Idealmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 03:12 PM   #13  
Closed

Ideal, thanks, that is probably what's happening since my calves were hurting so much, i guess there is alot of repair happening!
Old 07-09-2008, 02:10 AM   #14  
Closed

I meant to post this morning what i found out! I was very relieved to weigh again this morning before eating or drinking anything that i did not gain like i thought! Imagine that, after all these years of so much dieting all the time and i learned something new! Thanks girls for all your replies! XOXOX

I was actually 1 pound lighter, so i guess i lost a whole nother pound! LoL
Old 07-09-2008, 07:56 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

That's what we like to hear!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote