Old 07-01-2008, 02:47 PM   #1  

Default might as well join the club

I was just weighed at the doctor's today, I am now 301 lbs. Doctor changed my meds because he said Risperdal is probably to blame for a lot of the extra weight.
I'm planning on going on the atkin's diet sometime over the next few weeks. I bought a 500-Low-Carb-Recipes book and am waiting to receive it in the mail. I'm hoping it will help me stick to the diet, making it less boring. Wish me luck.

Last edited by Chubz; 07-01-2008 at 02:48 PM.
Chubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 02:55 PM   #2  

Height: 5'7"

Risperdal will cause weight gain.My hubby took it for awhile.He is on seroquel now and it also causes weight gain. You can lose weight on meds...jsut keep at it!! What med did he put you on now?? Abilify is suppost to not cause weight gain as is topamax. Hubby loses his taste when on some meds and doesnt care if he eats or not.
good luck and let us know how its going...feel free to join us in our weekly thread.
debi
dgramie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 03:15 PM   #3  

He put me on Abilify, I don't feel hungry now but I'm very paranoid. I'll probably have to go back on Risperdal, sadly. I hear Geodon is suppose to be weight neutral so I may try that next.

Thank you for the good luck! I'll check out the weekly thread.
Old 07-01-2008, 03:34 PM   #4  

Anyone know of a good appetite suppressant?
Old 07-01-2008, 07:28 PM   #5  
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubz View Post
Cinnamon. Healthy, safe, natural and effective.

Also, I believe Risperdal was responsible for a bit of my weight gain (but certainly, certainly not all).
shrinkingchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 08:21 PM   #6  
Anne

S/C/G: 407/358-Dec2007/tracker/125

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubz View Post
No, but keeping your protein levels higher should help. I'm not familiar enough with Atkins, but I know it's likely high enough in protein to help with hunger. Good luck.
RealCdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 08:51 PM   #7  

Height: 5'7"

Watch carbs really close for awhile.I think mental meds make you crave carbs..at least thats how it is with my husband. Ablify is suppost to be a wonder drug for alot of people!! Hope it works for you!! Geodon was pure **** for us...=MANIA. Have you tried topamax?? Its actually causes weight loss!!
debi
dgramie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 06:35 AM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinkingchica View Post
Cinnamon. Healthy, safe, natural and effective.

Also, I believe Risperdal was responsible for a bit of my weight gain (but certainly, certainly not all).
Yeah Risperdal causes weight gain for a lot of people. It makes me hungry all the time and less satisfied when I eat. Thanks for the recommendation, I'll check it out. They probably make cinnamon pills/tablets right?
Old 07-02-2008, 08:17 AM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgramie View Post
Watch carbs really close for awhile.I think mental meds make you crave carbs..at least thats how it is with my husband. Ablify is suppost to be a wonder drug for alot of people!! Hope it works for you!! Geodon was pure **** for us...=MANIA. Have you tried topamax?? Its actually causes weight loss!!
debi
I've heard of Topamax and it's weight loss effect. I also take Lamictal so if I mention it maybe the doc can switch one for the other my next visit. That scares me to hear that Geodon caused mania for you! Maybe if I take a higher dosage of Abilify I won't have so much paranoia, I really hate to go back to Risperdal because the Abilify really worked well to stop hunger.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:20 AM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealCdn View Post
No, but keeping your protein levels higher should help. I'm not familiar enough with Atkins, but I know it's likely high enough in protein to help with hunger. Good luck.
Atkins is high protein since it is basically meat, eggs and vegetables. I also want to get some whey protein powder for when I start going back to the gym. Maybe taking that will also help keep my hunger under control.

Last edited by Chubz; 07-02-2008 at 08:23 AM.
Old 07-02-2008, 05:29 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 350/239/160

I take Abilify too (15 mg) and have been able to lose on it. I prefer it to Risperdal which I believe did make me eat more. I take it for some paranoia/intrusive thoughts (OCD) and have been pretty happy with its effects.
CatWuv is offline   Reply With Quote