Closed Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 07:09 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Default 300+ and Getting Fit after 40 #165

This thread is a sub-set of the 300+ thread.

This group is for those dealing with the challenges of having a significant amount of weight to lose and being fit which becomes harder after age 40. If you're an old or new friend and not over 40 and feel this is the place to post, jump right in.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:33 AM   #2  

Morning ladies,

Okay, this is it. I swear I am getting back on track this week. I know I have said that for the last two weeks and have let myself bumble through the week. Not this week. I am going back to the fitness center four times a week. I have gotten out of that habit with all the yard work and projects we've been doing recently. But time to get back to the fitness center and get the next 10 pounds gone.

Saturday was just a totally lazy day. I think it was allergy induced plus it had rained so everything was too wet and muddy. I putzed around the house and we watched a movie. Yesterday, I tried to redeem myself and got a few things done. We got the chain link put up that is to keep the dogs away from the pool. However, we're about four feet short. I wanted to say, 'if we had put the poles where I had originally envisioned, we wouldn't be short'. But I kept that little tidbit to myself. I told DH that it looked like a good spot for another gate and will give us access from both sides. We made a temporary gate with a t-post and a short cattle panel so it looks a bit rednecky at the moment. However, it is nice to know that the dogs aren't digging around the pool anymore. We also did a bunch of other yard work.

We had our first harvest from the garden this weekend. DH made pork steaks on the George Foreman grill and we had lots of veggies. I picked our first green beans and we cooked those while outside working. I had picked our first yellow squash and purple pepper so DH sauted that with an onion, olive oil and garlic; topped with a bit of parmesan cheese and it was fabulous. And we had our first tomatoes. I was in veggie heaven. I told DH that I want to expand the garden for next year. Having our own veggies is too much fun. I don't know if we'll have enough green beans to actually freeze since I only planted two short rows. I said I could sell the horses and turn the horse pasture into a truck garden! Yeah, right!

How do you all cook up your fresh beans? They were good but I thought they needed something.

Okay, girls, it is June 30th. Summer is flying by much too quickly. We've got two months until Labor Day. It is my challenge to myself to get past the 240's before summer's end. Anyone else want to challenge themselves with something?

Elmay - You have had a heck of a couple of weeks. I am very sorry about Marie. And to remain living together takes an awfully strong woman. Dang, that sucks about the car and here you were on your way to do something healthy for yourself! You are doing awesome with the physical activity. That bike ride, and the hike, sound so wonderful. I'm jealous of your scenery!

Sue - Welcome back. Sure, I remember you. Its good to see you. That is so great that the cancer was found early enough. Good job on losing the 40 pounds and getting back into shape. Each time I see the doctor, they advise that losing weight will reduce the risk of cancer. But yet, its like isn't a real connect. However, you are a testament that getting healthy is definitely a connect to cancer treatment/prevention. I am in awe. I hope you decide to stay with us as you help us see how we need to get healthy.

Judy - Good to see you even if you lost your post!

Lilion - Did the venting help? Time for a new start!

Heather - What kind of vacation are you taking? Will it be lots of walking or more relaxing visiting with friends/relatives?

Ruth, Valerie, Charlotte, and others.. to all and hope you're doing okay! We miss you!

Last edited by Terri in MO; 06-30-2008 at 07:36 AM.
Old 06-30-2008, 11:06 AM   #3  

Talking

Good Morning Ladies!

Elmay, What a great weekend that sounded like! I can barely pump up my bike tires, but then it pretty much sits unused. I need to get out on it, but there's no good places to ride without taking a drive around where I live. Still, need to do that. I LOVE OREGON! I've been a time or two, my mom was born there. My favorite part is the coast, with all the big cliffs over the ocean. I always said if I were rich I'd have a house perched on the top of one just for the view. The mountains are lovely too. I wish I had a mountain to climb! (Well, maybe not just now with the ankle, but still!)

Sue, I'm glad to see you and SO glad to hear you are recovering from your bout with breast cancer. That is a blessing. Sounds like you've had a very rough time of it and yet are doing so well! Losing weight and getting healthy. Good for you and WELCOME BACK!

Terri, Yes, the venting helped. Not quite as much as getting on the scale Saturday morning and seeing 255.5 instead of 259. WTH? Whatever. I envy you your garden! I ripped out all the bolted spinach and lettuce and just have turnips (that apparently DH doesn't like as much as he said he did since I don't seem to get him to eat them) two tiny onions that haven't bulbed yet, (the darn turnips shaded out the rest) some carrots (that seem to be making roots, although you wouldn't know it by looking at them, but I stuck a finger down by one to feel) a bizzillion marigolds, two cruddy pepper plants and a few straggly pole beans. I know I started them late, but jeeze! I'll be lucky to get any. My tomatoes are hanging with green tomatoes and the cukes are flowering, but that's it. As for cooking beans, I steam them whole in my rice/veg cooker. I put a garlic clove and some rosemary in the water usually and sometimes I put whole almonds in with the beans. I love them that way.

Got to admit, the weekend food wasn't so great. Saturday I was supposed to start WW with my friend, got up at 7:30 (The freak of nature wanted me to GO to the 7:30 meeting – I think NOT!) and at 8:30 get a call and she has the stomach flu and can't make it. She SO owes me. I ended up going to the office for a few hours. We ate out at Applebee's and I didn't order off the WW menu, but hadn't eaten hardly anything all day so it wasn't so bad. And I got salad and veggies with my steak and no dessert. And on the up side, I'll never order their Bourbon Street steak again – it wasn't good at all. Sunday was my really lazy day. I did some laundry and just vegged out with DS and watched TV. When your 13-yr-old sasquatch of a son wants to snuggle with you on the couch and watch a movie together you grab the chance! Not like he's going to want to do it for much longer! We watched The Pursuit of Happyness – what a good movie! But then we had pizza for dinner and a couple cookies – but only two.

Today I'm on track. Had a healthy breakfast and a Lean Cuisine lunch and some fruit etc. Looking for a good week. I just wish I could get some exercise in but the darn ankle still isn't letting me do much. I went to the store with DH last night and didn't wear the brace and regretted it. It doesn't hurt so much as just feel odd and weak. Having never had this kind of injury before, I guess that's normal. Annoying though.

I have to run. Work is more than waiting – it's behind! Hope you all have a wonderful week ahead!
Old 06-30-2008, 11:30 AM   #4  

Smile

Good morning ladies, maybe I can take a breather and post while I am resting. AHHHH! That feels so good to just sit and do nothing.

I have been so busy with veggies that I haven't had much computer time. Just when I think I have caught up on putting everything in the freezer, DH comes in with another crop of something. I love the fresh vegetables, but I have to admit, I will be glad when they fizzle out. LOL! Today I put up peas, the purple hull kind. I cooked a big pot of them and made squash patties, etc. I thought DH was going to eat himself sick!

Sue, so glad to see you are on the road to recovery. It is always good to see old friends come back to join us. these days I am pretty hit and miss with posting, dang veggies.

Lilion, it takes a long time for the ankles to strengthen. Just treat them tenderly. We are still not 100% op are we? What the heck can we do about that? Where is the wire for the jaws.

Terri, enjoy your veggies before they turn on you. LOL! They are good, aren't they? Ever since I went to WW I have just cooked my green beans with some chicken broth or cube, that is all. They tend to be a little bland otherwise.

Elmay, the trip sounds fun! Biking nope! This big butt won't go there.

Judy, Hi! Better luck next time with your post.

Heather, Enjoy your vacation.

Well, ladies time for me to go and clean up some of the mess I left in the kitchen. Talk to you later, Ruth
Old 06-30-2008, 10:24 PM   #5  

Height: 5' 7"

Well, had my first workout with my trainer. She is really good for me - she's a registered dietician, and a certified trainer.
My physical therapist gave me a lot of exercises to strengthen the muscles surrounding the knees, and she is adding some low weight, high rep exercises to strengthen a couple of smaller lower body muscles. She is also teaching me some exercises to strengthen the upper body - low weight, 30 reps. Going to take it very slow. Heavens, my arms aren't very strong.
So, I'm combining this with water aerobics, and doing the weights on my own a couple of days a week. I also have to increase my cardio.
I don't know - she's not pushing, but I've read so much - hopefully, I can do most of what I'm committed to.
Terri & Ruth - I'm so envious of all those fresh veggies, although I there are farmer's markets around us, so we are eating a lot of them.
Lilion - wow, decent weekend.
The thing I hate about getting older is there is less and less wiggle room for cheating. I really have to eat clean and work out to lose anything.
Talk to you all soon
Sue
Old 06-30-2008, 11:04 PM   #6  

Just reporting in that I made it to the fitness center tonight. I didn't do that much but it was a stat again.

Thanks for the ideas on the green beans. Ruth about the thought of the veggies turning on me. We'll see how excited I am about squash and zucchini in a couple of weeks as the plants are full and loaded with blooms.

Sue - The trainer will have you bench pressing before you know it.

Ruth - Okay, what are squash patties?

Lilion - Sounds like you had a good weekend. I could have sworn that you planted your garden before I did. Take care of that ankle. It may be quite a while before it feels like its completely healed. A loss is a loss no matter how you get there. Take it and run!

Time for bed. to all!
Old 07-01-2008, 08:05 AM   #7  

Smile

Good morning all, How are all of you this morning? I woke up with a hurting back myself. It feels weak and achy.

Terri, squash patties, not an op type food. LOL! They are more for my DH. you cook squash, mash, add onions, egg, salt, pepper and I put in 1 spoon of flour and 1 spoon cornmeal, mix and fry. See, not diet food. But they are very good. Not large spoons of flour or cornmeal, but you have to have a binder, and you have to drain the squash well. I normally will stir fry squash with onions in a very little olive oil. I have to admit I am getting tired of squash and zucchini. I have been shredding the zucchini and putting it in the freezer raw to make bread at a later date. I quit counting bags of squash I have cooked and frozen. A lot of that will go to my daughters.

Sue, you are so right about there being no wiggle room for cheating as you get older. I swear I can gain weight on 1800 calories! My Dr. agreed with me on that.

Well, ladies I hope you are all doing well. Time for me to see if my back will let me do some vacuuming. I told you all that my cleaning woman quit didn't I? UGH! Take care, Ruth
Old 07-01-2008, 08:34 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Hi all! Just a quick flyby! I have no appts on campus this week, so I decided to take the week off and tackle some of my housecleaning and projects....
Old 07-01-2008, 10:11 AM   #9  

Quickie from me too! Hope everyone is having a good day.

Terri, It was late March when things finally got planted. But then again, the peas, lettuce and spinach are already spent. Had to buy lettuce yesterday.

Ruth, Those squash patties sound good. If you used Egg Beater's and fried them only with cooking spray, or maybe tried spraying them whit cooking spray and popping them in the oven, I wonder if that would work? I have a couple of bags of shredded zucchini from last summer I desprately need to make up...maybe I could thaw that and cook it?

Time to run!
Old 07-01-2008, 11:36 AM   #10  

Smile

Lilion, I think you could do that with the squash, cook them in a pan with spray. I don't know about putting them in the oven. You can cook your zucchini any way you would fix yellow squash. Try stir frying it with the onion. I used to cook, zucchini, onion,salt,pepper, and then add tomato at the very end, pretty good! Fresh tomatos with the seeds removed that is. A little garlic would probably be good also. There is no reason you can't use the frozen zucchini like you would fresh.
Old 07-01-2008, 03:07 PM   #11  

Ruth - freezing for bread sounds like a good thing to do with zucchini. Perhaps you can give the zucchini bread as Christmas presents? I too like the first couple of small ones, but the veggie mixes get less and less appealing as I eat more squash. Right now, I'm putting salsa in to mask the flavor, but pretty soon I fear I'll not be getting any more.
Sorry about your cleaning lady. I was thinking of getting one because of the amount of time I'm going to the gym - ummm, perhaps I have my financial priorities screwed up?
Lilion - that's a good idea for cutting the calories in any kind of veggie pattie. I like to make corn or apple patties, but haven't been because of the amount of grease.
Well, my surgeon discharged me today. Don't have to see him for 6 months. I got a post-surgical abscess after radiation, and it took like 10 weeks to heal. But it's just about closed now. It feels really weird to not be actively running to so many appointments, and to be "after cancer."

My weight loss has slowed the last couple of weeks - I think because I've cut down on cardio a bit from the fun of learning weights. Tonite is either water aerobics or 30 minutes on stationary bike. Hmmmm, what to do, what to do [ignoring the go home and lie on the couch option]
Sue
Old 07-01-2008, 04:32 PM   #12  

Sue - about the release! I'm all for the couch option!

But I'll be a good girl and go home to yard work, garden work and horseback riding.

Which I need since I've been snarfing on mountain nut mix for most of the day. Do ya think that would be called mindless eating? I think I'll tromp my butt over the the big trash can in the break room and throw the rest of the bag away. At least if I put it in there, I can't dig it out cause I'm at work!
Old 07-02-2008, 07:49 AM   #13  

Smile

Fly by, I have an early appt. this morning, Wanted to come and say howdy!

Not doing well with eating....what else is new? I can't seem to string two days together op. I would yell help, but help comes from wintin and right now I can't seem to find it. I will TRY! Got to get going. Have a good op day everyone. Ruth
Old 07-02-2008, 09:03 AM   #14  

Unfortunately, I was all for the couch option last night as well. Going out and doing something physical doesn't seem to be what occurs to me when I am emotionally exhausted. But, today the sneakers, shorts, and a t-shirt are in the truck behine my seat, and I WILL go work out after I meet some girlfriends for dinner. They are a good group for me - they are all women about our age who are successfully maintaining their weight. Eating with them is like a course in eating for life. You know that study that said that eating with fat friends makes us fat? Well, I know that when I eat like these guys, I'm eating properly.

I have started car pooling with a colleague as well - under 20 miles each way (we live about a mile apart),but we figure it will save us at least $10 a week, each. Besides, when I carpool, I have to remember to bring my lunch.
Ruth, hope the eating commitment works! I'll have to remember to try it.
Terry - thanks for the congrats.

Write y'all soon.

Sue
Old 07-02-2008, 09:41 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 394/See Wt Tracker!/180

Height: 5"10

Smile Well... Hello again here :)

I am typing in different threads where I may belong online here and I have found yet another, and thanks for starting it by the way!... I am 41 going to be 42 this month and I am working on getting back into shape.. I was 394... doing a weight watchers flex plan on my own and have gotten down to 363 I have a blog but I want to post a new picture, even though I haven't changed that much yet, I am psyched for being here and the energy everyone puts behind getting healthy again, I know I for one want to be fit...and it will be hard for me to get from 394 down to 190 but I have started and I have a long way to go.. I am trying to enjoy the journey, it is definately harder now that I am over 40.. I have a bent spine and have been depressed for about 9 years, but I am thinking about who I am becoming and not who I was/am... kind of like a self fufilling prophesy... and I will check in on everyone everywhere as I get looking around here man there are a lot of places to talk ie. sub-forums...lol I get lost..

P.S. Lilion - I love your avatar....Fairy, awesome!...

Best of luck to us all...

- Elliott
Closed Thread