Closed Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 08:32 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Default 300+ and Getting Fit after 40 #163

This thread is a sub-set of the 300+ thread.

This group is for those dealing with the challenges of having a significant amount of weight to lose and being fit which becomes harder after age 40. If you're an old or new friend and not over 40 and feel this is the place to post, jump right in.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:46 AM   #2  

Morning ladies,

I think we may have a break from the humidity later today. We've had more rain this morning. Poor Lilion, she probably got pounded yesterday and this morning as she's up north of where we live. I really feel for the people of Iowa and all the flooding areas. I'm going to go make a donation to the Red Cross this morning.

Yesterday, I got more yard work done and water was just running off my body, the humidity was so bad. I don't think that it was even sweat; just water.

I did get to ride Spanky. This was my first time to take him off the place. I rode him along the road in front both east and west. He did pretty good. Of course, Phoenix was going nuts, then the horses next door were calling out to him, and then the horses down the road a bit were talking to him. But I felt safe enough and he didn't pay any attention to the cars. And we were right on the shoulder of the pavement and not off on the easement. However, being at the elevated height, I could see how quickly the storm was moving in so I let him trot back. We even kicked up into a very pleasant canter a bit down the driveway. I jerked the saddle off and shoved him back in the pasture. Poor guy; he didn't know what was going on. I had just enough time to get my tack up and the dogs into the house before a wicked storm hit. I feel good enough about him that I am going to take him somewhere to ride this week and ride on my own. DH's cousin's that ride are too fair weather riders. Too wet, a horse might bow a tendon. Too hot. Too cold. Okay, I don't have time for "just right" conditions or else my money will have been wasted. Now she's talking about how her DH grounded her at the place because of the price of gas. So that sounds like they won't be going riding at the horse parks even if the weather was just right. Sorry, that became a rant!

Today is working on bill work inside and laundry. Tonight is my final weigh-in for the Biggest Loser challenge. I'm still stuck at 250. That would be my own fault though.

One of the things I need not to be doing today is laying around like a blob. I did that yesterday after the rain. I think allergies are making me lethargic.

I think I'm going to go make pancakes for the pups. Then DH and I need to work on replacing the gates on the chain link fence.

Elmay - Your weekend sounds fabulous! Good for you for doing all that hiking. Do you take pictures while you hike? I'd love to see some from that area. That area is one area of the country that I'd like to see. Keep up all the great physical work. The scale will get moving again.

to all!

Last edited by Terri in MO; 06-16-2008 at 08:48 AM.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:54 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Morning all!

I had a great day yesterday. It was Day 2 of scuba training. We started learning different entrances without the tank. Then we suited up and got in the water. The divemaster said, "Go to the bottom of the pool and..." and my brain went "NOPE." I was so anxious and scared! I couldn't do it!

Thankfully they are very patient (I'm guessing I'm not the first) and got me started more slowly and soon enough I was hanging out at the bottom of the pool!

Next weekend we move to open water!
Old 06-16-2008, 02:53 PM   #4  
Proud Army Mom

S/C/G: 319.2/265/160

Height: 5'6"

Did anyone see the Today show this morning? A woman lost 262lbs by cutting back and portion control and walking. It was a really quick segment they have it on their website.

hope everyone is doing well!

how many of you gals are on HRT? I was just curious if It is worth it .......I do use a natural hormone replacement cream......rather than a prescription.....was just curious if any of you know whether HRT hinders or helps your weight loss?
Old 06-16-2008, 04:46 PM   #5  

Wow that today show is sure encouraging for someone as heavy as I am!!
But so are you Heather!!Everytime I see your blog ...I think awesome Angels
Old 06-16-2008, 05:30 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 305/247/<200

Height: 5'9"

Hi everyone! I figured out how to make my pix smaller and I posted one of the Dog Mountain hike a few weeks ago up to the pix thread. I am not taking these pix -- my friend is -- and she was too tired yesterday afternoon to get the ones from this weekend off her camera.

Terri -- good for you for riding Spanky even with the allergies and weather!

Heather -- great job on getting thru day 2 of pool work. Where are you doing your open water dives? You're right, scuba instructors learn how to deal with the normal nerves and fears associated with doing something as unnatural as breathing underwater .

DMPLS -- I didn't see the Today show, but that does sound very inspiring. I am still a bit away from menopause, but I know I will be dealing with it soon enough -- I'm interested in what you find out!
Old 06-16-2008, 06:55 PM   #7  

Elmay -- We're doing our open water dives at a quarry that's now a lake.
I'm thinking I'll be scared at first that day too, but that I'll persevere. The tough part will likely be the cold -- water temp estimated to be 58 degrees!!!

Last edited by Heather; 06-16-2008 at 06:56 PM.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:12 PM   #8  

Hi ladies,

Wow, we had fallen on the first page of threads! Sorry, I didn't realize that I hadn't posted since Monday. Being off on vacation this week, I'm all out of whack.

I've gotten lots done but you know, its never all of what needs doing. But I'm trying to balance the working on chorse with relaxation time. Vacation is going much too quickly and I really wish I had next week off too.

Yesterday, I took Spanky over to DH's cousin's house so that I could ride with the cousin's wife. They have 25 acres and it was a good trial for Spanky and I. One of my goals with the weight loss has been to develop my riding skills. I think yesterday qualifies as a day of definite improvement. Spanky rushes down inclines and doesn't like for me to try to slow him down. But we worked on that by doing it over and over. Never once did I feel anxious about him being young. I take that back, there was the once time when the cows were running up to the fence and it startled him and he went scooting away from the fence. Once I figured out what was after him and got him turned around, he calmed down. After that, when we rode in the pasture with the cows and he totally ignored them. He did something to me that no other horse has ever done. We were walking along and I could tell he was doing something weird and then all of a sudden, we were going down. He dropped down to his knees!! I had enough thought to realize that I had to keep my leg free so that I could get off before I got caught under him and the last thing I wanted was for him to roll with me still on him. I hopped right off when he got down close enough to the ground and then got out of his way in case there were legs and hooves flying around. He got back up and didn't know what to do! I got him caught and then we had to go looking for a place where I could get back on. I got him down in a ravine area where I could get a foot in the stirrup and then pull myself up on him. He did great and stood like a gentleman. What a deal. We finished the ride without incident and the he acted like a huge a$$ and refused to get in the trailer. It took probably an hour before we got him in so that we could come home. I was so pi$$ed at him and frazzeled. When we got home, I headed straight for the pool and laid on the floaty for awhile.

Today was a work day. I got my niece to help us. We put the new gates on the backyard fence. We loaded trash and junk into the trailer to go to the dump. My niece and I used a post hole auger and dug four holes in the back yard for the new fence that will keep the dogs away from the pool. Geez, that was hard work. If we were using a hand digger, we never would have gotten done. The poles are set and ready for the fence. Maybe tomorrow.

DH broke his bottom denture last night. He has to go into the city tomorrow to a repair center. Yippee! I get the place to myself for a few hours tomorrow. If it doesn't rain tonight, I think I will work in the garden. Tomatoes need staking. The beans, peas, squash and zucchini are loaded with blooms.

Elmay - Thanks for sharing the photo. Just gorgeous.

Heather - You go, girl with the scuba diving. Do you have plans to go on vacation and do some diving? That would be awesome.

The doggies have all conked out. I need to take some of them to the kennel to sleep. Right now, I'm watching Donnie Darko. That looks truly bizarre and maybe I should take the dogs out before it gets too dark outside!!

to all!
Old 06-18-2008, 10:36 PM   #9  

Terri -- balancing the relaxation and the getting stuff done is important on a stay-at-home vacation!

I am going to Croatia later this summer and hope to be able to scuba dive there!
Old 06-19-2008, 03:58 PM   #10  

Height: 5'2" on a tall day.

Hi Ladies......Figured I'd better stop in before you figured I'd dropped of the Earth or something. It's been a good week. Only allowed myself one slip and I was able to use my extra WW points to cover it.

I finally remembered to go to Sam's Club and pick up a bag of Tyson's frozen, already cooked, Mesquite Chicken Breasts. They're a life saver for someoone who hates to cook. I pop one in the microwave, and throw as salad together in the 4 minutes it takes to cook the chicken. TaDa ....Dinner!!!
Old 06-19-2008, 04:00 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 305/247/<200

Height: 5'9"

Hi everyone! Hope you are all having an OP week! The sun is still shining here in Portland, OR, at least part of every day although it is a bit brisk. I've been saying OP with eating and exercise -- in fact, even adding a bit more aerobics -- and feeling good. The scale moved for me again this a.m. (in the right direction!) so I have hit a new local minimum on my weight loss journey. I posted some pix of my backpacking trip last weekend up on the pix thread. I'm working towards a weeklong backpacking trip in the Sierras in September after I finish my MBA program, so I'm looking to get two more weekenders in (at least) before the summer is out . This is a link to the trip I'm planning on doing -- trip 76.

Heather -- 58 degrees is cold! I hope you have a nice thick wetsuit. I did my open water dives in the ocean off the Sonoma County, CA cost -- water temp was 45 degrees and we didn't do much moving around -- plus I had what felt like a ton of weight on my belt -- when I dragged myself out of the water and up to the shore, I felt like a sea creature crawling onto land . I never heard of Croatia as a diving center, but googling around, it sounds pretty interesting!

Terri -- Good job on your riding! (not that I'm any sort of expert, but it sounds like you did good ). It always looks so easy to get on a horse from the ground when they do it on TV, but the couple of times I've tried have been quite ... humbling ...
Old 06-19-2008, 04:07 PM   #12  

Judy -- Always nice to hear when people are doing well. Actually, it's always nice to hear, period!

Elmay -- 45 degrees sounds awful! I'm picking up all my gear later today -- I hope it's a thick wetsuit too! Croatia is a place we were going anyway, but we're staying right next to a dive center... so... we're going to try to take advantage of the opportunity!
Old 06-22-2008, 08:34 AM   #13  

Hi ladies,

Wow, apparently everyone went on vacation! Today is the last day of mine.

I have to admit that I've been struggling with mild depression this week. I have found it really difficult to truly enjoy my time off. My situation at work is always on my mind and I struggle with the not knowing. I know the whole thing about worrying doesn't make it better or that I can't control what other people decide. I think I just want to know if I have a job there or not. And to add to it, my boss (yes the one who acts like a jerk) resigned last week. He sent me an email. He only gave two weeks notice. Which at his level, to me, that just shows his lack of being a true leader and being sure to take care of his staff. I go back to work tomorrow to find out what the new CFO in Omaha is going to do about transition. I haven't been overeating due to the stress. I just haven't had any momentum to really be active. I just kind of want to sit here.

Yesterday, I took Spanky for a first real trail ride with other people. This was a three hour ride with DH's cousins and friends of theirs. I had a hard time relaxing because I was nervous about what he might do. We were fourth in line and I had a hard time keeping him from rushing the horse in front of us. We crossed concrete walkways, logs, mud, under a bridge with traffic on it, and through tall grass. We saw deer, a possum, and lots of turtles. With all of that, he did great. He bucked once because of a horse fly on his butt. And I stayed in the saddle even though my knees went weak! He jumped a stream once and I stayed in the saddle and quickly learned what it felt like when he was preparing to jump and was able to stop him the next several times. And the cousin in front of us decided to smack his own horse with his reins and scared the crap out of Spanky. We did a hard lunge and spin to the left and stopped about 30 feet out into the grass. And I was still in the saddle. All of that before we got to the lunch stop. I had a hard time getting back in the saddle to come back. However, this time I got second in line behind a long-legged mule. He did so much better because the mule steps out and I wasn't constantly trying to hold him back. I told DH that the cousins ride too slow and that is hard for a young guy. My legs aren't too bad today considering it was three hours. More NSV's and confirmation as to why I'm sticking with this journey.

Today I'm not sure what's on the agenda. We need to work on the fence around the pool; do laundry, and generally just putz around. Hopefully, the rain moved through this morning.

to all!
Old 06-22-2008, 08:44 AM   #14  

Old 06-23-2008, 08:18 AM   #15  

STOP!

New week, new thread! You know the drill!
Closed Thread