Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 08:00 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Default 300+ Weekly Thread #1135

WELCOME!!!!

We are a group of individuals who weigh or have weighed 300+, or near there. This group was formed to provide a place for others like us to find support and hope. We are aware of the distinct problems that come with weighing over 300 lbs.

We want to invite everyone (roosters as well as chicks!) to join us in our journey. We share laughter and tears, heartaches and fears ... joys and celebrations. We also share what works for us and what doesn't.

We know the thread can move very quickly, and that people often make "personal" remarks and keep a number of conversations going. Please feel free to contribute even if you can't make personal comments all the time.

Finally, we also have several extra threads going on simutaneously such as Monthly Challenges, Weekly Weigh-ins, Recipes, Bios, Photos, Exercise, Info for Getting Started and more. Many of these threads are stickied at the top of the page. Please feel free to check them all out.

We have found this thread to be more than just a support group... we have found it to become a home. We invite you to join us.

I know you'll all agree that we are really thankful for the free services here at 3FC. The sisters offer all of this support and information with no charges to us. There are a couple of ways though that we can help out.

If you are thinking about buying anything at Amazon, why not help out 3FC at the same time? You can do this by clicking on the button for the Amazon "store" in the upper right hand corner of the screen on the PURPLE tool bar. A portion of your purchase price will be given to 3FC by Amazon. It doesn't increase your price at all, but it does help out 3FC. You can use any of the Amazon.com links that you see on the site in order to help contribute to the site.

Also, BTW, in case you didn't know it, you can view the message boards "ad free" for a minimal charge. I think it's $15 for 6 months. A very small investment to be rid of the annoying ads and make your pages load quicker.

There have been some concerns expressed by the powers that be about copyright infringement. So please, if you are directly quoting someone else or printing an article in whole or in part, please give credit where credit is due!!!
Old 12-03-2007, 09:00 AM   #2  
jeanne

Height: 5'4"

Hi everyone! Woooosh, rough weekend, shopping, eating out, and lack of sleep!
I just wanted to stop in and say hi and wish everyone a great day and a great OP week! Christmas is just around the corner!

I did wake up today and give myself a "little" lecture and re-committed to getting back on track! Have NOT WI in weeks. I'm scared to!
Old 12-03-2007, 09:28 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 510/see tracker/160

Height: 5' 9 1/2"

Jeanne: It's a new day and you can start fresh right now. Hugs.

I got up at 3:15 a.m. brushed my teeth made a protein shake and drove the 12 miles in the snow to the gym. I am so happy that I made it. I did weights for 20 minutes, swam for 30 and treadmill for 10. I am hoping I can do this routine on Monday, Wednesday and Friday with bike and watp at home on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. I went to bed at 7 p.m. last night to prepare. I just need to be disciplined enough to do it.

Hope you all have a super great, op, water drinking day.
Blessings all,
Annie
Old 12-03-2007, 12:02 PM   #4  
742,000 calories burned

S/C/G: 592/380/175

Height: 5'9"

Jill-I think you’ve got settled in good now, so it’s time to get back on the horse. Starting over again in a pain, I should know I’ve done it often enough, but it is worth the trouble.

Heather-I was thinking about you today. I was talking to someone about my college social psych teacher. He was an expert in eyewitness identification. These are the things that retired lawyers make small talk about, the latest forensic stuff. Got me wondering if you taught anything about that in any of your courses.

Debbie-I do miss my Christmas parades back home. It would start with Santa coming in on a jet ski in a red Hawaiian shirt and flip flops, then they’d make a fake snow hill for the kids to saucer sled down. All the palm trees would be lit up, and then we’d go swimming to cool off after doing some shopping. Santa does not wear flip flops here.

Annie-Since your car is gassed up, could you run by up here and put up my Christmas decorations? The only thing I’ve got out right now is the Advent wreath. I think he hung a wreath on the door too. I was able to get the laundry sorted all by myself today. I’m hoping to be able to do a little sewing. It’s my left leg, so I should still be able to run the machine, just have to make sure I limit myself so I get my leg elevated before it swells up. Until you get your sea legs under you good, just tell yourself, sleep, work, training and food. Keep it simple.

Sandy-good job on getting the fudge packaged up. Wrapping it will keep you from wanting to sample too much of it. I’m glad it turned out.

Nancy-I’ve thought about getting a heart monitor. I usually just guess when I’ve got my heart rate high enough. Usually when my tongue hits my cleavage, then I know I’m in the target zone.

Jeanne-being afraid of the scale is just as bad as hoping on it twice a day. You give your power over to it. Don’t be afraid of the truth. It’s the secrets that hurt us. Just tell yourself no matter how high it is, you can deal with it. The longer you wait, the longer you will give yourself permission not to. If I had a nickel for every time I had to start over again, I’d be rich enough to pay someone to lose the weight for me.

They are testing the fire alarms in the building this morning. So nice of himself to warn me. He’s off giving a speech at city hall, and here I am stuck on crutches trying to figure out what’s on fire, and where did I put my boots the last time I actually had to wear them. Evacuating on crutches is not my idea of fun. Once I get to the hallway, and realize it is the alarm guys playing with them, I feel like an idiot. Then he calls from downtown to check on me, and I got to let him listen to the sirens too, and thanks for letting me know. I should have given him the gears, but didn’t want him to be upset right before his speech. Besides, he’s one of those chronic apologizers. If I get on to him about something, he’ll apologize 100 times when he gets home. This way he’ll only apologize 50 times.
Old 12-03-2007, 12:55 PM   #5  
sandybar

S/C/G: 350/289/150

Height: 5' 1"

Annie You are amazing for getting up so early. You are indeed a role model.

Jeanne I totally understand being afraid of the scale. I'm gonna get on and change my ticker. I know it's up. My guess is about 10 pounds since mid October or whenever it was.

Catherine, Guess what. I made another batch of fudge and it turmed out too. Sorry about the pest fire alarms.

Brenda Thanks for compiling the list for cards. I really appreciate it.l

I've actually found that since I made it, I really don't want it. How weird is that.
Well, I'm gonna call the dr so they can fax a note to my work. I'm home sick today. I'm sure I've developed bronchitis. It's kinda early this year.
But everyone at work has been sneezing and coughing all over the place.
NOt to mention, we're adjusting my meds again for depression. I've been struggling a bit again, so since it's winter and last winter was so hard, the DR increased the dose on one. Let's hope it kicks in soon.

Ok, gonna hit the scale right now.
Well, that wasn't as bad as I expected. I'm up 5 pounds, plus my feet are swollen. That's a bit encouraging. I think I'm gonna try to wrap some presents that I couldn't wrap when everyone was home.
Hugs to all
Old 12-03-2007, 02:09 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 330/ticker/192

Height: 5'10

I had an interesting conversation with a friend yesterday. We are very good friends, but haven't seen each other in about a month.

He hasn't said a word to me about my weight loss. So far, only one person has. I kept wondering when he would say something. I thought for sure he would yesterday. But, nothing. The topic of eating and weight loss in general came up in conversation a couple of times, but not about me, and still he did not mention my appearance.

Finally I couldn't keep it in anymore and told him that I had made some changes.

He said that he had noticed and brought the topic of weight up several times as an opening for me, wanting to make it easy for me to talk about with him, but I didn't bite. He didn't want to force me into a conversation that I was obviously avoiding (in his mind) and wanted to be respectful, and for me to be ready to discuss it. He thought for a while that I had been looking thinner, but yesterday my appearance had changed significantly so there was no doubt that I had lost weight.

He said that since we were such good friends, and that he has the same weight issues, he was a little hurt and confused by my silence on the matter with him. He was shocked to learn that I had been making changes since July.

So here I was, waiting for him to say something, and he was waiting for me to say something. In the meantime, both of us were feeling a little hurt.
Old 12-03-2007, 03:07 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 330/ticker/192

Height: 5'10

Sandy: If you are swollen, you probably aren’t even up a real 5 lbs. With a little effort, you should knock that weight off in no time.

Isn’t it interesting about the fudge. Sometimes what we think we want, we don’t really want if we really listen to the signals.

I hope you are feeling better soon.

Catherine: Just think of the calories you burned by trying to evacuate. Maybe himself can arrange fire drills a couple of times a week.

Annie: How impressive are you! Getting up in the middle of the night to go to the gym. I’m blown away. Have a great week at your new job.

Jar: Hi! Glad you stopped in. Good luck with your OP eating this week.

Jilly: Welcome back. We’ve all fallen down many, many times. The good news is we can get up again. I’m glad you’re back.

Ky: Hi and good luck with the studying.

Debbie: I think if you can maintain until you’re feeling stronger, you’ll be doing great. Maintenance in itself is an accomplishment. We didn’t get this way overnight, and we’re not going to solve everything overnight, either. Many hugs.

Carol: What kind of excursions did you book?

I hope your veggie eating was better the last couple of days. It’s not usually a big problem for me, but I go through periods when I resist eating veggies, especially salads. I found that making pots of soup with lots of veggies in it is sometimes the best way to get them in.

About the exercise, if you can something, anything, it will be of great benefit. Don’t hold yourself up to other people, just find some way to move that is more than what you’re doing now.

Lindsey: I’m sorry to hear about what happened at Jed’s apartment building. That must have hurt a lot. It’s hard to have the best comeback on the tip of one’s tongue. Most of us don’t anticipate abuse coming out of nowhere. But who cares about that ignorant slob? You’ve just lost 100 lbs! That is the most amazing accomplishment.

Nancy: I’m so happy for you. You’ve given me something to think about with changing the exercise routine. I think my body is too used to my routine now, but I don’t know how to change it. Will work on that.

Love your new bedroom.

Enjoy your day off.

Xena: I love Billy Joel. I think he is one of the most talented musicians and songwriters in our generation. I’m jealous! Btw I also love Constantine. He’s s-e-x-y!

Colneen: Good luck with WW. A lot of people are successful with it.

Rabitstoat: Have fun with your new cookbooks. Let us know about any winning recipes you discover.

Texark: Welcome. This journey is all about reclaiming our lives, bit by bit. I’m so happy you’ve already regained a bit of your life back.

Rat: Glad you had a fun trip with your family. You know the drill with the extra weight (we’re so alike in this way). It may take a few weeks, but it will come off and then some.

I don’t “do” making beds either. Waste of time!

Sharon: Big congrats on ringing the adult education center and getting a positive result. It must have taken a lot of courage to call.

Heather: I hope the Kashi Go Lean Crunch has gone back to its place in the cabinet. It IS shocking what we can find to overeat on even in the healthiest looking cupboards.

Donna: lol about Donny Osmond.

Hi to everyone else! Hugs and have a great OP day.
Old 12-03-2007, 04:08 PM   #8  

Hello my peeps!!

TOM is here with a vengence. Not a good way to spend my bday.. bleh! I took off work today to snuggle with my heating pad.

My brain is fried, so personals are scarce!

Battle, isn't it interesting that he was waiting for you and you were waiting for him. I'm glad you both finally got it all out.

Note to self: no drinking while reading Catherine's posts! You are so funny! My brain is fried, and I can't rem what it was you wrote, but it cheered me up. No, it wasn't about your ouchy foot/leg.

Annie, you are an inspiration for the gym work! I need to get back on the gym wagon.

Lindsey, sometimes silence is the best response when dealing with volatile people. As much as you would have liked a quick witted response, it's not worth the drama dealing with a drugged out person. I wouldn't have even sent the letter, but doing the way you two did it was good.

Sorry Nancy and Heather, that Kashi GoLean crunch doesn't do it for me. I tried it. Amazing how different taste buds are!!

My dad made me a jewelry cabinet and he left it unfinished. I've been spending most of the weekend sanding the um "character" he put into it and trying to get the stain right. I started putting bombay mahogany on it, but it kept getting redder and redder. So then I put an ebon stain on it, followed by the bombay mahogany. Voila! I finally got the chocolate color I was trying for. I'm hoping the last coat got put on today. Then I have to stain the shelves (there are 2 tiny ones) and then hang it.

Despite TOM, I did eat a salad today.. yay! Baby steps back.

Hugs and Luv to all!!
Ratkity
Old 12-03-2007, 04:44 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

My Kashi fixation is gone. Thankfully. I'd hate to banish it like I did with my poor Quaker Oat Squares (I should link to the story, but no time!).

BattleAx -- There's quite a lesson in your story about your friend! Each trying not to offend, but both getting hurt!! I'm sure many more people have noticed your loss!

Catherine -- My husband is a chronic apologizer too. We met online, and our first date he was 1/2 hour late. I thought we'd never get PAST the apologies!!

As for social psych... I discuss eyewitness testimony more in my intro and cognitive classes (can't have too much overlap, or I get bored!). It's a fascinating topic (well, there are so many!) and still very much in vogue.

My speciality is more in cultural psychology -- how culture shapes self-concept and things like that.
Old 12-03-2007, 05:19 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 351/ticker/175

Height: 5'9"

Annie, nope we aren't flooding but the Skagit River is suppose to be rising I guess from all the snow that is melting on the mountains. The wind is blowing pretty good but it seems that all the flooding and power outages are closer to Seattle so I think we will be fine. But thanks for the concern. All of our snow is already gone and we are at 61 degrees right now....what a difference a couple days makes.
Sounds like you are all ready for the dinner. I bet you'll look great. If you have a digital camera, upload the pics to the computer, name the file like "my pictures" or something like that so you'll know, then go to photobucket.com and move them from where you stored them on your computer to there. It will explain the rest on how to put them on 3fc. Hope that helps.

Carol, yep, we could put all of it back on rather quickly, that's why we have to keep our heads about us and realize we need to make better choices. I know we can do it!!!
Did you get your veggies in? Is all your paperwork in order for that cruise? Only a few days more!!

Lindsay, glad you had a good time. It sounds pretty funny to see. I would of reacted the same way with those neighbors of yours. And actually it was probably for the best if they are druggies. You never know what they will do, they don't really have anything to lose. I think the way you handled it was the best. Don't pick on Jed too much, some people just don't know how to react to something like that.
And big "congrat" on the 100 lb loss, that's just amazing!!!

Sandy, how did hubby like the room moved around? Did you eat any of the fudge? I wouldn't of been able to resist...
Hope the swelling is all water weight and then the 5 lbs will be gone too!

Jilly, those dogs are so darn cute!!!

Catherine, I'm sure he will be ok flying or they wouldn't even go up would they?. The weather is just so onery right now. Did you get all of your cutting done?

Jar, I'm afrrrrrraid to get on the sccccales toooo

Battle, I'm so glad you and your friend got things straightened out. Now maybe you both can talk more openly about it. It helps to have someone close to you to be able to talk about things that you have in common with.

Ratkity, Happy Birthday!!!!!

Heather, YAY for putting the kashi away!!!

We went out today and did a little Christmas shopping but by the time we got back, my back was killing me. I don't know if I pulled something in my groin a while back and then started walking funny to where my back is messed up or what. I think I'm falling apart slowly but surely. We got back just in time before the rain and wind started. It blew so hard the house shook. I thought they were bad in Riverside California but they've got them beat up here!!
My Fil in now in his own room and out of CCU so he continues to get better. They still need to regulate his hearbeat though and then he should be coming home once he gets up and moves around.
Well, I better get moving. I have some beads to make for a customer and then back to the banks.
Have a great OP day and drink drink drink that water!!
Debbie
Old 12-03-2007, 05:48 PM   #11  
Johnnie

S/C/G: 390/291.8/??

Height: 5'1"

Jeanne: I know about being scared to WI. Last year at this time I had lost 30 pounds, over Christmas I went wayyyy out of control and by January was afraid to get on that scale, kept telling myself I would WI again after being OP at least a week or two. Took me until August 24th to actually get back on that scale & of course I had gained back the 30 lbs plus some, so now I am resolved to face the truth, no matter what it is.

Annie: Way to go on getting up so early to go to the gym, I am so impressed.

Sandy: I'm going to be making fudge the week before Christmas. I hope it will have the same effect on me & I can resist. Hope you are feeling better very soon.

Battle: I'm glad you and your friend talked and cleared the air so you can both be comfortable in your friendship again.

Ratkity: Hope you are feeling better this afternoon. Best thing I enjoy about getting older is no more TOM, don't miss it at all. Congrats on your baby steps.

My brain appreciated my NSV with the groceries on Saturday, but my body no so much. Had more pain and less flexibity than usual yesterday and today. Physical activity with RA is a guessing game as to how much activity you can do without overdoing it and since I haven't been really doing anything to this point, it is even harder for me to determine what is the result of RA & what is the result of lack of physical activity. But I worked through the pain yesterday & still got the pumpkin muffins made while Toni finished the outside decorating. Me and my body are going to have to just going to have to use trial and error to become familiar with each other again.

I was disappointed today when I called to inquire about aquatic classes. The only place in out town that has an indoor pool and offered classes in the past are no longer doing the classes. With the joint damage I have aquatics is really the best option for exercise, but since that is not available, I am going to take Catherine's advice for baby steps. My first goal is to walk out to the mailbox at the end of the driveway and back. I made it almost halfway today before I had to turn around and come back, so I've accomplished my baby step for today.

Johnnie
Old 12-03-2007, 07:54 PM   #12  
Because I deserve it!

S/C/G: 315.4/311/165

Height: 5'11"

Battle - That doesn't suprise me your friend was waiting for you to broach the weightloss subject. Weight is such a touchy issue and many people are afraid to say anything for fear of offending or hurting someone's feelings. Everyone is different in this regard. You were eager for someone to notice. I, on the other hand, am ambivalent. Yes, it's nice to think changes are noticeable but when people mention it to me it makes me feel very awkward. If they are too enthusiastic about their praise, I hear it more as "You looked hideous before" rather than as a compliment as to how I look now. Anyway, I am glad you and your friend broke the ice about the topic. Hopefully now you can both be more open about it and avoid those accidentally hurt feelings. As for Constantine being sexy, AMEN to that!!! I am not sure what part of the country you are in but if you ever get a chance to see him live you definitely need to do it. He is so sweet, smart, and funny in person. He doesn't come off quite as cocky as he did on AI.

Annie - Awesome job getting up early to exercise. I simply love getting my exercise done in the mornings. That way it is out of my way and my evenings are free. I don't know if I could get up QUITE as early as you do though. I am very impressed!

Johnnie -
Congrats on those baby steps. They will add up, I promise!
Old 12-03-2007, 08:02 PM   #13  
Not Giving Up!

S/C/G: 351/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Hello Folks

I've had a few good days and a few not-so-good days in the past week. Today was one of the good days, and I'm going to try and slowly work my way back into exercising and set myself a December goal of 300 minutes.

Does anyone use Dance Dance Revolution for exercise? My husband has suggested it as a Christmas present for me but I'm wondering how effective and fun it would be, especially for someone like me who's not the most coordinated person in the world.

It is a scary time in the office right now. Ever since Halloween it seems like there is ALWAYS food around. Next week they have announced a snack day and a cookie exchange day, plus our holiday party the week before Christmas. Gah!

jar, I am in the same boat, trying my best to stay on track. My scale crapped out on me several weeks ago and I have been putting off getting another one. But, I know I have to get one to be accountable. I hope your WI isn't too bad.

Annie, reading your post makes me realize I really have no excuse for not getting up a little extra early and getting my exercise in. I tell myself each night that I'm going to do that, and then rationalize myself out of it once the alarm clock goes off. Good for you for having that resolve!

Catherine, well, I guess on the upside at least it wasn't a real fire!

Sandy, I'm glad you're not letting those 5lb keep you off track. I'm sorry to hear you're not feeling well - it seems to be going around a lot this fall.

Battle, I think what happened with your friend happens a lot with people. They don't want to offend or touch on what could be a sensitive subject, so they just don't say anything. I'm glad you worked it out with him though.

Rat, Happy Birthday to a fellow Sag! It was my b-day on Saturday. Your jewelry cabinet sounds lovely, now that you've got it the way you want it. I hope TOM eases up.

Debbie, sorry to hear your back is bothering you. Don't push yourself too hard.

Johnnie, congrats on the baby steps! Everything helps and is worth celebrating!
Old 12-03-2007, 09:08 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 320/220/180

Height: 5'6

Default Newbie Here, First Post

Hello all! I have read through your posts and you are all such wonderful inspirations!! Again, I am glad that I found the site!

My week THUS far, even though it is Monday, has been....awful. I work weekends, Sat & Sun 6 a - 6 p, and today my hubby and I woke up, and our 4 month old Shih Tzu Gadget was not feeling well. He had stomach issues from Thursday and seemed better; I ran with him and our other pooch Gizmo Friday and Saturday a.m. Well, today, around 2.15 p.m. MST, Gadget laid on the hardwood floor in our living room and passed away. I have been crying on and off; he seemed to be getting better! He was drinking water and sleeping, resting. I loved on him all day. The vet told us on Friday that he had a stomach issue from overeating (!) and he would be ok.
I am absolutely heartbroken. The vet said that he had Parvo, and even if we took him in again, there was nothing she could do for him.

We are saddened and I haven't exercised at all. IN fact, I am here for support and help in kick starting myself. Right now, I am absolutely grieving.

And it doesn't help that I feel bad about myself being so fat. I love my body, I was never a thin girl, but I certainly wasn't 315 pounds. I have a dr's appt on Wednesday in the a.m. and I want to talk to her about weight loss and a plan and exercise. Anyway, thanks for reading and thank you guys for your wonderful posts.

Last edited by megawatt823; 12-03-2007 at 09:10 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-03-2007, 09:50 PM   #15  

Mega,

Hugs for your little one that passed away. I'm so sorry to hear about him. All my furkids are special to me. The ones that have gone on still tug on my heart strings. I am currently owned by 2 goofy golden retrievers (Buffy 5 and Charley 4), 2 grouchy geriatric cats (Captn 17, and Ratkity 15) and a neurotic orange winged amazon parrot named Buford (11 yrs). Buford will probably outlive us all (well, except my Mom.. hehe).

Cry all you need to!! We're here for ya.

Luv,
Ratkitten
Closed Thread