Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 07:52 AM   #1  
Method to the Madness

S/C/G: 381.4/in the middle/160

Height: 5'9

Default 300+ And Ready to Try Again Weekly Thread #1132

WELCOME!!!!

We are a group of individuals who weigh or have weighed 300+, or near there. This group was formed to provide a place for others like us to find support and hope. We are aware of the distinct problems that come with weighing over 300 lbs.

We want to invite everyone (roosters as well as chicks!) to join us in our journey. We share laughter and tears, heartaches and fears ... joys and celebrations. We also share what works for us and what doesn't.

We know the thread can move very quickly, and that people often make "personal" remarks and keep a number of conversations going. Please feel free to contribute even if you can't make personal comments all the time.

Finally, we also have several extra threads going on simutaneously such as Monthly Challenges, Weekly Weigh-ins, Recipes, Bios, Photos, Exercise, Info for Getting Started and more. Many of these threads are stickied at the top of the page. Please feel free to check them all out.

We have found this thread to be more than just a support group... we have found it to become a home. We invite you to join us.

I know you'll all agree that we are really thankful for the free services here at 3FC. The sisters offer all of this support and information with no charges to us. There are a couple of ways though that we can help out.

If you are thinking about buying anything at Amazon, why not help out 3FC at the same time? You can do this by clicking on the button for the Amazon "store" in the upper right hand corner of the screen on the PURPLE tool bar. A portion of your purchase price will be given to 3FC by Amazon. It doesn't increase your price at all, but it does help out 3FC. You can use any of the Amazon.com links that you see on the site in order to help contribute to the site.

Also, BTW, in case you didn't know it, you can view the message boards "ad free" for a minimal charge. I think it's $15 for 6 months. A very small investment to be rid of the annoying ads and make your pages load quicker.

There have been some concerns expressed by the powers that be about copyright infringement. So please, if you are directly quoting someone else or printing an article in whole or in part, please give credit where credit is due!!!
Old 11-12-2007, 07:54 AM   #2  
Method to the Madness

When I went to go tell people to stop on the other thread, I saw that Heather had beat me to it! I guess we were on doing the same thing at the same time... I hope me starting the new thread isn't a problem?
Old 11-12-2007, 07:54 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Good job, Lindsey, you just beat me!!

Battleax -- Let me say again I love your new avatar. Post over here so everyone can see!

Today is the first day of the last week of the term. Exams are next week. I can't wait...
Old 11-12-2007, 08:16 AM   #4  
Method to the Madness

Good morning!!!

Well, in about 45 minutes I need to leave Jed's and make the drive back to Salisbury. I always hate to drive away, but at least next week is Thanksgiving so even though I have class Monday and Tuesday, I'll still be seeing him at least a little bit everyday because we leave Tuesday night for Boston.

Eating has been OP all weekend. I'm really proud of that... I hope that when I hop on the scale tomorrow that it rewards me! I made the loveliest stuffed acorn squash last night, I baked it and then stuffed it with whole wheat couscous that had garlic, herbs, dried mixed fruits, and goat cheese in it, then baked it again for about another 15 minutes. I need to remember to write the recipe down, as it was just something I created... haha.

Not much else for me... let's get to the personals!

Nancy, wow! 2 and a half hours in fitness classes! That's amazing! I agree that you deserve to be sleeping in a real bed... just follow Xena's advice and you should be fine!

Heather, school gets out really early over there, eh? When do you guys go back? My college gets out on Dec. 14th and doesn't start back up until January 28th... I hope this last week of classes leading up to exams isn't too stressful!

Catherine, it looks absolutely beautiful there. I always love to see snow topped mountains...

Debbie, because of TOM and silly hormones I was an absolute bear on Friday night, paired with me being tired from driving, poor Jed didn't know what was going on. He was very sweet about it and didn't "fight back"... haha. Smart man.

Battle, I love your new avatar! You're gorgeous, your hair is lovely and you have a confident smile...

Everyone else, a big hello and to you!

You guys all have an amazing Monday, ya hear?
Old 11-12-2007, 08:30 AM   #5  

Battle, you are absolutely beautiful! I love your avatar!

Luv,
Rat
Old 11-12-2007, 08:53 AM   #6  
jeanne

Height: 5'4"

Hi ladies! I was just poking around and reading your posts! Boy, I must add - I get some pretty postive modivation vibes here! I think you'll be seeing me here more often! lol!

By the way - I'm jeanne, 42, married (2nd time around & and he is awesome)!, I have two daughters, 20 & 15, and a pound puppy, my highest weight ever was 278#, dieted in 1998 and lost 100# - but............over the years, gained back! Oh yeah, hope your sitting down......(lol).......I am a retail manager for a CHOCOLATE COMPANY! Yep, real chocolate, peanut butter, marshmallows, popcorn, fudge.........and much much more! This does get in the way of my diets - especially around TOM!

Well - just wanted to say hi and introduce myself! I enjoyed reading your posts!
Old 11-12-2007, 09:22 AM   #7  
742,000 calories burned

S/C/G: 592/380/175

Height: 5'9"

Jeanne-welcome, and you made my head spin. That's like being an alcoholic working at the Jack Daniels plant. I wouldn't go home from work. I'd just sleep down where they make the chocolate.

Battle-I'm with everyone else, get pictures.

I'm supposed to be working, so will make this quick. Just wanted to say that even if it horrifies everyone to take full body shots, take my word for it, you will want them later. I have a couple of pictures of myself in my wheelchair, but wish I had many more. Even if all you do is take your picture in a mirror with a throw away camera, and don't develop them until you are ready to see them, do it. You'll regret it if you don't.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:58 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 330/ticker/192

Height: 5'10

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the compliments. My friend took a lot of pictures, and some of them came out very nice. Of course she knows all the tricks with lighting, etc.

This weekend was mixed. Saturday was absolutely terrible, binging all day, but Sunday I managed to stay OP even with a piece of flourless chocolate cake and a martini.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:37 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 510/see tracker/160

Height: 5' 9 1/2"

Catherine: I'm glad you made it to Banff. It is so beautiful there. I hope you are not just doing school work but also enjoying the beauty and having a bit of fun!

Ratkitty: Let us know how the cranberries turn out!

Angie: Congrats to you on -4 more pounds. Way to go.

Lindsey: Good luck at your weigh in tomorrow. The acorn squash sounds good. Yummy.

Xena: Did you watch Bon Jovi on Saturday Night Live? I have it on Tivo but haven't seen it yet. I'm not much of a fan of thier music, just not my taste but, I do think he is a stand up guy. It warms my heart to see someone in his position to be married to the same lady for ever. I hope you have a blast.

nancy: Yeah to you on the Ikea trip and getting the new bed and stuff. I'm proud of you. It is so awesome when we realize the difference in things we didn't used to do or did but were wiped out during the trip.

Heather: Glad you got some munching veggies.

Sandy: I will IM you Ammi's email later today if I can. I hope you have much success finding other employment that will be less stressful to you.

Debbie: I love that Daisy is running now. The same exact thing happened for our Pepper when she got on her pain meds and thyroid pills. A different dog. I did get my CPAP cleaned but it is still too high. I need to make another appointment with the tech. The interview today is the Job of my dreams. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

Carol: Hi hun.

Battle: I have to agree. You are so beautiful regardless of your friend knowing how to take photos or not. You are glamorous. Hugs.

Jeanne: Welcome. I love these ladies and our occasional gentlemen here and I hope you grow to love them too. They are all so sweet and caring. A real wonderful bunch. Make yourself at home. Congrats on the weight loss. Sorry some of it came back but you are ready to try again now so that is good.

I am off to my interview now. I am praying that I will get this job. It really is the job of my dreams, to help other people succeed in life while I am helping my family financially. Wow. Who could ask for something more than that.

Ammi is okay. She is trying to stay positive and she is on a new medication for her Sweet Syndrome. Please keep her in your thoughts and prayers.

Blessings to you all,
Annie
Old 11-12-2007, 01:31 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 330/ticker/192

Height: 5'10

Nancy: What an incredible NSV weekend. Good for you. Eating well and exercising enabled you to participate in life and get the job done. This is what is is all about: regaining our lives. I'm so proud of you. Post pics when you are done with the bedroom.

Heather: Only a short time for you to manage the stress eating before a break. Yippee. I hope this is a good week for you.

Lindsey: Good job on staying OP this weekend. You are a good influence on Jed, and who knows, maybe he will decide on a lifestyle change for himself. Please post the recipe for acorn squash. It sounds good. I've only tried to cook it once, and I wasn't pleased with the results. Would like to try again with a tastier preparation.

Jar: welcome! Take your coat off and stay for a while. My, you do have a challenge working in that environment. I used to do some catering, but had to stop. Unfortunately, I am a big fan of my own cooking. Sigh.

Catherine: Glad to hear the trip to Banff was boring. I'd like to go there some time. You are certainly seeing a lot of the country.

Ratkitty: I'm interested in hearing about the cranberries. Let us know how they turned out.

Hi and hugs to everyone else.
Old 11-12-2007, 02:04 PM   #11  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

Carol – You asked me about the elliptical. When I first got on it I thought I was going to die and could barely last 5 minutes. I then built up over time by the next time doing 6 minutes, then seven. . . In fact, one of my secret pleasures at the gym is seeing a new person come in and get on the elliptical for the first time (thinking that it must not be THAT tough because the fat girl is on it) and then not be able to make it more than a few minutes.

Deb – The problem is that I am one of the most singularity messy painters ever. I am also thinking that maybe it will make me work faster to get the walls painted if I make myself wait to put the bed together . . . ugh – I am still confused.

Catherine – Banff looks gorgeous. I am glad that the trip was uneventful.

Sandy – Sorry to hear you are having trouble staying on plan. Is there a way to work the things you are craving into your plan?

Debbie – Yeah, my wallet is hurting a bit right now. I wanted to get my Wii now before the holiday season rush.

Battle - You can't achieve that kind of difference between your old picture and this one with "tricks with lighting". Give yourself some credit! You look great and there is such a difference in your face. Have you looked at the two pics side by side? I keep my before facial pic in my profile so that when I want to look at the difference I can easily go look.

Heather – I hope your last school week goes well and isn’t too stressful.

Lindsey – That stuffed squash sounds fabulous. I am totally amazed that Thanksgiving is next week.

Jeanne - Welcome!!!! I can't imagine working somewhere that sold chocolate. Except maybe if you are around it all the time it becomes less interesting. I would hope so.

Annie – I have my fingers crossed for you in the job interview today. Thanks for the update on Ammi.

I think that I forgot to mention that I have a 2 week trial to a different gym that offers classes. Tonight I am trying a Hatha yoga class, tomorrow is Zumba (Latin dance) and Wednesday is Power Dance (jazz). I am pretty excited to be trying something different.

I was totally exhausted yesterday, but I did spend a bit of time playing the games on the Wii. It is a lot of fun and great to get up and move. I am ordering DDR today. I hope it doesn’t take too long to arrive.
Old 11-12-2007, 02:42 PM   #12  

Hello my Peeps!!

Annie and everyone else who asked about the cranberries.. They came out like.. cranberries!! hehe. They cooked just like they normally cook with sugar. The baking splenda is light and fluffy and I would recommend adding extra. I think they could have been a tad sweeter and think an additional half cup of baking splenda would equal a cup of sugar (just because of its fluffiness). All in all they are VERY good. I found no aftertaste. I will make them again for Tday and we will do a taste test side by side with regular ones.. hehe.

Lindsey, I'm glad you are cooking for your new sweetie. Sorry it was a shock to his system, but I know he's got to be tired of the same old pasta/pizza/potatoes fare.

Welcome Jeanne! OMGosh, a choc factory? hehe.. too cool. Just hop right in. These are a great bunch of folks.

Catherine, I'm glad your trip was uneventful and had some good scenery to look at on the way!

Heather, don't forget to take some time for you!

Battle, I'm with Catherine, I'm glad you got a bunch of full shots. You are totally gorgeous and don't downplay that with "lighting tricks".

Annie, all my appendages are crossed for that interview!! Thanks for giving us an update about Ammi. I am sending transAtlantic prayers to her!!

Nancy, what an incredible weekend you had!! OMGosh, you will love DDR! At first, you'll be like "no one can do this!" hehe. Then you'll be dancing away (and sweating). Pretty cool that you're doing some great classes. I must confess that I've not been to the gym in over a week! I've been hibernating (but staying OP).

Despite my hibernating, I've been writing down everything instead of guessing. It's keeping me accountable. I'm not sure why I have no motivation now that it's gotten cold.

Hugs and Luv to all!
Ratkity
Old 11-12-2007, 03:21 PM   #13  
~Carrie~

S/C/G: 318/t/130

Height: 5'4"

hi all. I haven't really been able to keep up with everyone. For some reason i just haven't got the time lately maybe it will get better. Anyway i weighed myself yesterday and it said i gained 4.5lbs i think it is because TOM finally decided to make an appearence after like forever. At least i hope that is what it is. So i won't change my ticker until i am sure.
good news
the loan came through so i didn't loose my seat in class. yay!
I hope everyone one has a wonderful on track day.
~Carrie~
Old 11-12-2007, 04:36 PM   #14  
Method to the Madness

Default Recipe for Couscous Stuffed Acorn Squash

Couscous Stuffed Acorn Squash

Makes: 4 Servings

2 acorn squashes
2/3 Cup whole wheat couscous
1 cup low sodium vegetable broth + a possibly a little more if it's too dry
1/2 cup (2 oz) crumbled goat cheese
1/3 cup dried chopped mixed fruit (I used a mix with apricots, cranberries, apples, raisins, and dates)
~1/3 cup dried oyster mushrooms (other types will probably work well too), soaked in hot water for 30 minutes to rehydrate, chopped
1-2 cloves minced garlic
1/2 tsp Italian seasoning (or other herbs to taste)

Optional:
Salt, to taste
1 tbsp butter or butter substitute (I used Organic Earth Balance Spread)

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut acorn squashes in half horizontally and scoop out seeds. Place cut side down on foil lined baking pan. Bake in the oven for 30-45 minutes, or until squash is soft.

While squash is baking, prepare couscous. Begin by bringing vegetable broth to a boil. Then, stir in couscous, garlic, Italian seasoning and salt (if desired), cover, and remove from heat. Let sit 5 minutes. Next, uncover and add dried fruit, mushrooms, and goat cheese. If couscous looks too dry, you may need to add more vegetable broth.

When squash is done baking, remove from oven and flip over, so the flesh side is facing up. If desired, lightly butter the insides of the squash before stuffing. Fill each half with 1/4 of the couscous mixture. Place back in the oven and bake for another 10 minutes, or until hot.

Last edited by LindseyLouWho; 11-12-2007 at 04:38 PM.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:46 PM   #15  
742,000 calories burned

S/C/G: 592/380/175

Height: 5'9"

I survived my hiking trip. It started to snow. I got to see the rare snail. It was the size of a grapefruit seed. It lives its life on some pink scum in a sulfur hot spring. Attached are the pictures from today. He's taking me to the Banff Springs for dinner to make up for it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Banff2.jpg (35.0 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Banff3.jpg (41.7 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Banff4.jpg (31.2 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Banff5.jpg (37.8 KB, 20 views)
Closed Thread