Closed Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 07:31 AM   #1  

Default 300+ Weekly Thread #1128

We are a group of individuals who weigh or have weighed 300+, or near there. This group was formed to provide a place for others like us to find support and hope. We are aware of the distinct problems that come with weighing over 300 lbs.

We want to invite everyone (roosters as well as chicks!) to join us in our journey. We share laughter and tears, heartaches and fears ... joys and celebrations. We also share what works for us and what doesn't.

We know the thread can move very quickly, and that people often make "personal" remarks and keep a number of conversations going. Please feel free to contribute even if you can't make personal comments all the time.

Finally, we also have several extra threads going on simutaneously such as Monthly Challenges, Weekly Weigh-ins, Recipes, Bios, Photos, Exercise, Info for Getting Started and more. Many of these threads are stickied at the top of the page. Please feel free to check them all out.

We have found this thread to be more than just a support group... we have found it to become a home. We invite you to join us.

I know you'll all agree that we are really thankful for the free services here at 3FC. The sisters offer all of this support and information with no charges to us. There are a couple of ways though that we can help out.

If you are thinking about buying anything at Amazon, why not help out 3FC at the same time? You can do this by clicking on the button for the Amazon "store" in the upper right hand corner of the screen on the PURPLE tool bar. A portion of your purchase price will be given to 3FC by Amazon. It doesn't increase your price at all, but it does help out 3FC. You can use any of the Amazon.com links that you see on the site in order to help contribute to the site.

Also, BTW, in case you didn't know it, you can view the message boards "ad free" for a minimal charge. I think it's $15 for 6 months. A very small investment to be rid of the annoying ads and make your pages load quicker.

There have been some concerns expressed by the powers that be about copyright infringement. So please, if you are directly quoting someone else or printing an article in whole or in part, please give credit where credit is due!!!
Old 10-15-2007, 08:18 AM   #2  
trying again!

S/C/G: 417/323/185

Height: 5'6"

Hi girls
Had an interesting weekend. After having a super awful week last week and just about gaining 10lbs I am happy to report that I am officially back OP.I went Saturday morning and joined WW. I am on Day 3 and down almost 7lbs of the crap that I collected last week. I refuse to change my ticker cause I fully plan on being down the full 10 this week. I really think I am going to like it. It gives me the freedom to eat what I want and maybe I can get rid of the mentallity of "cheating" Anyhow, I just popped in for a min and dont have time for personals but want to say thanks to Catherine, Angie and Ammi! I'll be back online later to chat it up some more
Old 10-15-2007, 09:08 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 380/Ticker/180

Height: 5'7"

Good morning!

Boy, oh, boy...I miss a week (or was it 2??) and you guys have left me in the dust!!

I am done with OT now and I don't have to be in to work until 11, so after I am done posting I am going to try banging up "Slammy" a bit. For those who don't know who he is..."he" is an electronic torso in a lovely shade of green that lights up in various places and you try to keep up by punching the lighted areas . (it's really called a Slamman) I figure it is time to take the birthday(from Sammi's party) and Mets(losers!) hats off him and get to it. I still have a problem with my heel, but I need to get off my hiney and do some type of exercise. Even 5 minutes will get me 300 punches . I am starting small and will add another minute each week. It's all I can do right now.

My other news is...drumroll please...Miss Samantha got voted Treasurer of the school!!! I am so proud of her!! She ran for Secretary last year and didn't make it. Actually, she tried out for so many things last year...only made the Basketball team...I give her so much credit for trying again. She had to give her speech 3 times...I would have croaked !!! I can act and sing in any play, but public speaking makes me pee my pants!!!

So as it is Monday...I am starting fresh...and will start personals again tomorrow. (Sorry, but how can I catch up with all the 18 or so pages I have missed??!!)
Big to everyone!!!

Have a Great Day!!
Old 10-15-2007, 09:48 AM   #4  
Ulovlee

S/C/G: 306/304/170

Default Good Day!

Hello Everyone!!!!

First of all, Hugs and Kisses to everyone on this site. I luv you guys!!!! Thanks for your support and encouragement. Don't have much time this morning, I feel a bit overwhelmed...Homework, work-work, kids, household..you know the drill.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:59 AM   #5  
~Carrie~

S/C/G: 318/t/130

Height: 5'4"

Intresting little bit of information. In the November issue of Prevention there is an article called The fastest way to sculpt. It shows you a bunch of exercises with the resistance bands. It starts on page 164. Some of them look a little difficult and a little too hard for me yet. But there are others that i think i am going to try. Just thought i would tell everybody in case they were intrested.

Mama- congrats to your daughter. I hope she does well.

going to loose - good luck with that 10lbs.

Last edited by midnight92887; 10-15-2007 at 10:00 AM.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:05 AM   #6  
Trying Intuitive Eating

S/C/G: 430/ticker/138

Height: 5'5.5

Brenda - I'm so happy you're feeling back OP. Sometimes a new plan/approach can be just the shake up you need to make solid progress again. Great news about the 7 pounds!

As for me, I'm up .1 pounds this week for no particular reason that I can see. Blah. Public skating at an arena close to my work starts today from noon to 2, so effective today I'm going to be spending two lunchtimes a week skating. My boss has been great in allowing me some flex time at lunch so I can make it a good exercise session. I'll make up the time at the end of the day.

Hope to have a better week this week, though I don't know what I can do differently. I can't take my calories much lower with still over a hundred to lose or I'll have nowhere to go when I'm much closer to goal. My lifestyle is very active now and there not much more I can do with exercise. I've been feeling discouraged, but it's also really been good practice for sticking to healthy and controlled eating for it's own sake rather than the pay off at the scale.

Everybody have a great day!

Last edited by MetaChick; 10-15-2007 at 10:06 AM.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:25 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 329/tracker/168

Hi All,

I’m not amused I rang the hospital this morning to get an idea of when my URGENT appt would be and was told that the earliest I will be seen is in 3 MONTHS time!!!!! I hate to run down the NHS because let’s face it, it brings health care to everybody no matter their finances BUT the waiting lists DO suck! Thankfully I’ve got two weeks of antibiotics from the doctor which I hope will clear up the infection, and will give her time to ring the hospital and start nagging them to see me more quickly.

There you go, moan over The good news is that I made it easily through week two of being back OP and here I am starting week 3. I feel a bit under the weather today, I’m coming down with a cold I think, but I still managed to do an hour of exercise today. I thought I better get it done in case I’m too unwell tomorrow

Brenda - welcome to WW If you are anything like me you will love learning that nothing is a ‘sin’ on the diet. It does make losing weight so much easier. I am sure you will do well and what a great start already losing most of that 10 lbs you had gained. It feels good to be back in control doesn’t it

Donna - nice to see you posting again. Now you can take a deep breath and relax after all that OT

I love the sound of that Slamman, it not only sounds like great exercise, but what a great way to relieve stress. I could do with one of those!!!

to Samantha on being elected school treasurer. You sound so proud of her and rightfully so. I’m the same as you when it comes to public speaking NO THANK YOU

Ulovlee - Hope you are managing to keep up OK with the homework, kids, house, and work etc.

Midnight - that’s great that you got some stretchy bands and that you’ll soon be getting some more exercise things. If you haven’t got any already I really would recommend the Walk Away the Pounds DVDs by Leslie Sansone. There’s something for everyone no matter what your level of fitness. I wouldn’t be without mine.

GGGirls - as I’ve never done it, why is it bad to go on a treadmill bare foot? Does it make your calf muscles really hurt afterwards?

Good for you for not having any of the treats, not even a taste at the birthday party. Did you wake up and proudly say to yourself that you are happy, healthy and in control??

Annie - Every time I see you in your avatar photo I can’t believe how much slimmer you look. You are looking amazing my friend

Vicki - I’ve done that, I’ve extended my time working out purely so I can finish up listening to a song that I love.

How are you going with that drain, any signs of it slowing down so that you can finally get it removed?

Debbie - the stew as always was delicious. I am so glad I made it because there was enough left over for tonight’s meal. Nothing like a nice bowl of hot stew when you’ve got a cold, or one on the way lol.

Good for you for only having one slice of that peach pie. I bet it was delicious and I hope hubby has finished it all off or hidden it now so you won’t be tempted to eat any more

Xena - oh boy, your boot camp is going to be even harder seeing as you got hardly any sleep. I hope it didn’t take too much out of you

LOL I love you calling Carrie, Carrie Underwhelming I didn’t want her to win either, and I’d turn the radio off if they ever played her music too. Thankfully they don’t though!

Good luck with your test on Tuesday you’ll get great results.

Metachick - sorry you had that small gain, no matter the size it’s rotten especially when it’s not warranted I don’t know what to suggest to you with regards to carrying on your weight loss when you can’t really drop your cals much or do much different with your exercise. Maybe the skating will be the kick your body needs to start shedding those pounds again. They say changing how you exercise and not necessarily the amount you do is a good way to break plateaus It’s great that your boss allows you a longer lunch break so you can get a good work out done

OK I better go before the kids get home, I’ll try to post again later,

Hugs,

Ammi
Old 10-15-2007, 10:46 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 510/see tracker/160

Height: 5' 9 1/2"

Okay. I said I would try to be better this week so here goes my attempt to stay up on the thread.

Brenda: Good for you joining ww and getting back op. Also congrats on loosing 7 of that 10 you gained. I am so happy for you. I loved WW and I hope it is a wonderful program for you sweetie.

Donna: Have fun with Slamman! I would love something like that. I adore boxing to the point that the thought of doing it as a sport excites me. lol. Of coarse I'd have to really get into much better shape before I could do anything like that but hey, a gal can dream right? Congrats to Samantha too. Woo hoo for her courange and stick to itness!

Ulovlee: Hi and hugs.

Midnight: I don't think I have welcomed you yet. I had such a busy week last week. So, sorry it is late but.... Welcome. I adore these people and I am looking forward to getting to know you as well.

Metta: Don't you fret about that .1 gain. Focus hun on the 152 LOST! You are doing soooo amazingly well. Hugs. Maybe it is just some muscle or water weight. Have a great time skating. I used to do that for my lunch hour every day when I was ... um... younger and thinner. lol. I used to go for my lunch hour and skate for 40 minutes of it then drive back up the street to my work. It relaxed me and made my day so much more enjoyable. Have fun.

Ammi: GRRRRR! I'm so sorry that they are giving you the run around with the Dr. office. I hope that they get you into the hospital soon. Maybe if you go to Emergency and tell them it is making you itch like crazy and you are going bonkers they will see you? Congrats on being op for 3 weeks in a row. You are doing so well. No sweat at Alton Towers for you. Hugs.

Well, I have so many things I want to get done today. I am going to go drink a protein shake and take my potassium filled Crystal Lite. lol. I added potassium powder by the way. I have some job interviews and testing this week plus a mound of applications to mail out. I want to go exercise this morning at the gym too. I have been so slacking with my exercise ever since I had my surgery. I have just been soooo drained. I think it is because my calories are so dogone low. I am really going to try to get my protein and calories up a bit this week along with my exercise. I will try to check in later this evening.

Blessings all,
Annie
Old 10-15-2007, 11:24 AM   #9  
742,000 calories burned

S/C/G: 592/380/175

Height: 5'9"

I'm starting to feel better, but am still so weak. I'm going to try to do a little housework today, and a little school work. At least I feel like I can breath better, and actually got a full night's sleep without the coughing waking me up. Dieting goes out the window when I don't feel well, but I'm back OP today, so that means I must be feeling better.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:47 PM   #10  
~Carrie~

So I had a sad event today.
I came across a desk that i didn't fit in to at school today. It was also the only one left so i had to sit half in and half out so it hurt me too. So that was a lovely hour and 20 minutes. O well i guess that is more motivation to lose weight.
Hippievanlady- i'm glad that you are feeling better.
Ammi- good luck with the doctor i hope they get you an appointment quickly.
dogpal- thanks for the welcome. Everybody here is so nice and helpful. I like it here.
Old 10-15-2007, 02:00 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 330/ticker/192

Height: 5'10

Hi everyone,

Saturday was a really bad eating day. I overate at the Raclette, but could have brought the day in on plan anyway and didn't. I continued to eat like there would be no food left on Earth in the morning.

I"m up four lbs today and am hoping that most of it is water weight from all the salt. Yesterday wasn't too bad, so I don't know--will just stay on plan and wait it out. I have a feeling I'm in one of the several week periods where my weight is going to bounce around without a loss for a while. It used to make me freak, but I'm getting used to my body's rhythms and now know to be patient.

I'm also ok with overeating one day a week, as has been my pattern, as overall I am losing weight. I want to gain a little more control on the days I've decided to indulge a little more than usual, though.

Ammi: There is nothing like a warm plate of stew in the cooler weather. It's especially wonderful to eat the next day. Yum! Glad you're doing well OP. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you can get an appointment sooner than 3 months from now. Argh!

Vicki: You're doing great. Keep it up.

Nancy: Congrats on the weight loss. You are so close to 100 lbs lost you can almost touch it.

GTL200: Good luck on your new plan. You've come so far already--I know you can continue.

Donna: congrats to Sammy! Enjoy knocking some sense into Slammy! It sounds like fun exercise.

Ulovlee: have a good OP day!

Midnight: let us know how the sculpting exercises go. I am thinking of doing more strength training.

Meta: hang in there. I don't know what your long term pattern for weight loss has been, but my body regularly stalls for a bit. Doesn't mean a serious plateau is on you. Wait and see what happens.

Congrats on finding some nice coats to wear. I have a ski jacket in a 2x that I bought 4 or 5 years ago. I rarely need that warm a jacket here, but do when I visit my family. The last few visits the jacket didn't fit and I went around freezing. It really brought me down about myself. I tried on the jacket yesterday, and it zips. I'm happy that you now have winter coats that fit, when you have suffered for too long without this basic article of clothing.

Gggirls: good for you, resisting the treats. I'm also curious about what happens after going barefoot on the treadmill.

Xena: oh my gosh, I don't know how you're going to boot camp after hardly sleeping. I hope you managed ok, and will be able to accomplish all you need to in the next few days. I'm thinking about you.

Debbie: There's nothing like being surrounded by nature's beauty. I love to go out into the areas around here and drink in the beautiful sights.

Annie: good luck on the job interviews. I hope you feel more energetic soon. Probably a little more nutrition will help.

Catherine: Aww, I hope you are back to your old self in no time.

Hi to everyone else. It's hard to keep up, but I'm thinking about all of you.
Old 10-15-2007, 02:16 PM   #12  

I'll tell ya what happens when you walk fast on a treadmill barefooted! You take all the skin off the bottoms of your feets! Like carpet burns on your feet bottoms. hehe.. OW! The tread of the thing is rough (so you don't slip when "normal" people wear sneaks on it and you propel yourself forward for the next step). It might be a way to toughen up da feet for summer.. NOT.

Hugs and Luv,
Rat
Old 10-15-2007, 02:44 PM   #13  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

I wanted to share this article which I came across on Scott Adams' blog (Dilbert cartoonist) this morning. He uses it comically to talk about how to break down a woman’s resistance to get her into bed. I thought it was really worth sharing on the dieting aspect due to why it is that once we have resisted for so long we find it hard to stop once we have given in.

http://www.world-science.net/otherne...lf-control.htm

It makes me wonder if we can build this up over time or are we doomed to have a certain resistance quotient. It also makes sense why the only way to effectively lose weight long term is to figure out what you enjoy and do that. If you are constantly trying to resist everything, then you might as well be talking to a Borg (do I really need to say the line? OK – "resistance is futile").

Last edited by NotTheCheat; 10-15-2007 at 02:45 PM. Reason: apostrophe placement
Old 10-15-2007, 02:53 PM   #14  
~Carrie~

intresting article. I never knew that lol maybe that i why i've been so lax on the homework lately. Just kidding
Old 10-15-2007, 03:03 PM   #15  
Trying Intuitive Eating

S/C/G: 430/ticker/138

Height: 5'5.5

Hey Nancy...neat article. I remember reading some time ago about studies suggesting that willpower was like a muscle that could be strengthened through repeated use. There seems to be a lot of resources if you google "willpower" and "muscle". One quick article near the top of the results seems to draw on both concepts:

http://www.abc.net.au/science/news/s...07/1889513.htm
Closed Thread