Closed Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 08:13 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Default 300+ Weekly Thread #1125

We are a group of individuals who weigh or have weighed 300+, or near there. This group was formed to provide a place for others like us to find support and hope. We are aware of the distinct problems that come with weighing over 300 lbs.

We want to invite everyone (roosters as well as chicks!) to join us in our journey. We share laughter and tears, heartaches and fears ... joys and celebrations. We also share what works for us and what doesn't.

We know the thread can move very quickly, and that people often make "personal" remarks and keep a number of conversations going. Please feel free to contribute even if you can't make personal comments all the time.

Finally, we also have several extra threads going on simutaneously such as Monthly Challenges, Weekly Weigh-ins, Recipes, Bios, Photos, Exercise, Info for Getting Started and more. Many of these threads are stickied at the top of the page. Please feel free to check them all out.

We have found this thread to be more than just a support group... we have found it to become a home. We invite you to join us.

I know you'll all agree that we are really thankful for the free services here at 3FC. The sisters offer all of this support and information with no charges to us. There are a couple of ways though that we can help out.

If you are thinking about buying anything at Amazon, why not help out 3FC at the same time? You can do this by clicking on the button for the Amazon "store" in the upper right hand corner of the screen on the PURPLE tool bar. A portion of your purchase price will be given to 3FC by Amazon. It doesn't increase your price at all, but it does help out 3FC. You can use any of the Amazon.com links that you see on the site in order to help contribute to the site.

Also, BTW, in case you didn't know it, you can view the message boards "ad free" for a minimal charge. I think it's $15 for 6 months. A very small investment to be rid of the annoying ads and make your pages load quicker.

There have been some concerns expressed by the powers that be about copyright infringement. So please, if you are directly quoting someone else or printing an article in whole or in part, please give credit where credit is due!!!
Old 09-24-2007, 08:54 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 329/tracker/168

Height: 5'6"

Hi All,

It's Monday afternoon, I've exercised, must remember to post on the exercise thread, and I am feeling optimistic about actually staying OP this week. Last week I enjoyed not worrying about points or exercising, but in the back of my mind I knew I had to try again as of today. So I'm here, I'm not feeling pressured to lose the weight, I just want to go for it. I have 5 weeks to concentrate on losing some lbs before the theme park trip. I figure I can manage being OP for at least that long lol.

Thank you all for your support last week, and being here for me, I know I'd have given up long before now if it wasn't for all of you

Catch you all later,

Hugs,

Ammi
Old 09-24-2007, 08:58 AM   #3  
Trying Intuitive Eating

S/C/G: 430/ticker/138

Height: 5'5.5

Have a great OP week Ammi!

P.S. It's Monday *morning*.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:26 AM   #4  

Morning all! I didn't have time to do more than start the thread first thing this morning!

I had a mixed weekend. I did okay on food and okay on exercise but not great on either. I'm seeing the scale start to creep up again and really feel the need to nip things in the bud NOW. Let's hope when push comes to shove I'm really up for that!
Old 09-24-2007, 10:04 AM   #5  
Trying Intuitive Eating

Heather...I have a question about losing/gaining/maintaining at your weight. When you gain, do you feel like you've overeaten or is it more just like a lack of strict vigilance showing up on the scale eventually? Can you track it back to "oh yeah, I ate way to much of that" or too many calorie dense choices or something obvious, or is it a matter of when you're not specifically dieting you gain?

Hope that all made adequate sense, but I'm not entirely confident. At any rate, I admire your ability to monitor and refocus as required. Hope you have a week you're happy with.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:25 AM   #6  

MetaChick -- I think I understand the question, though feel free to followup if I'm not clear.

When I gain I'm not surprised. Usually I can trace it back to just too many days of either just eating too much (but aware of what I am doing) or just not being vigilant enough (when I stop writing down everything I eat, especially over a number of days).

I've kind of come to the conclusion that if I don't monitor myself carefully, I can and will very easily gain the weight back. Monitoring it isn't necessarily that hard most of the time... but when things get stressful I tend to lose control a bit too, and sometimes just not care as much.

I also exercise less when I get really busy, and that doesn't help either!

It's scary to admit that underneath the thinner me is still the "fat chick" who wants to just sit on the couch and surf the internet and eat a lot of food. Fortunately, I do love the food I eat and when I'm at home usually eat pretty healthy. And I don't binge as frequently as I used to or eat as much as I used to.

But she's still there. And to be successful I need to recognize she always WILL be there... And figure out how to thwart her!

Last edited by Heather; 09-24-2007 at 10:25 AM.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:23 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 330/ticker/192

Height: 5'10

Hi everyone,

It seems that one day a week I am bingeing at an event. Yesterday, I went to a food and wine event. Local high-end restaurants, wineries, and chocolatiers offered their goods. All the wine and fine food you can consume, no cost as I worked the event as a volunteer for my organization.

The problem is that I find it very difficult to pass up the really good stuff. I completely lose perspective when I'm in the moment and think only about the opportunity to eat/drink the very expensive food/wine when it's not what I can ordinarily afford.

I often go to multiple events/parties a week, but I am consistently losing it at one per week.

Yesterday was out o control.

I need to change something. Maybe I should just allow myself to overeat once a week, and plan for it? Or maybe I need to find a way to arm myself with better tools going in. I don't know.

Last edited by BattleAx; 09-24-2007 at 11:24 AM.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:04 PM   #8  
Trying Intuitive Eating

BattleAx...I've thought often as I read your posts what a great and active social life you enjoy. I think it's really wonderful, and I've meant to mention it. I know you've said you feel the absense of a significant other sometimes, but it seems like you're always doing neat stuff with neat people. I have been buried in single working mommy mode so long I don't have any of that social infrastructure any more and I hope I do again someday. Thanks for being a great example of someone who doesn't let their extra weight drive them underground and to the couch.

There is of course a difference between indulging in rich, sumptuous food and overindulging in rich, sumptuous food. If it were me (and I wish it was! ), I wouldn't do anything one day a week, I'd sample everything I wanted at every event to the point of satiation and I'd take a discreet doggie bag home for things I wanted to try but chose not to at the time because I was full.

I've decided that I've got to work with what I've got, and what I've got is a girl who will probably always live to eat a little bit. I've tried to embrace that in my new approach, and have learned to actively like the fact that I like food. I like being someone who thinks about food with interest and passion when it's appropriate because wonderful food and drink is one of life's pleasures. I want to be someone who is fully involved and completely comfortable with all of life's many pleasures.

Heather - Thanks for your response. That's exactly what I meant.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:46 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 510/see tracker/160

Height: 5' 9 1/2"

Brandnewme: I'm so happy that you are feeling better and making some great conscience changes in your life! I hope that your cold goes away really soon.

John: Lol at the pants falling off you but what a great NSV! I loved all your pictures. You look very handsome. Thanks for sharing the photos with us.

Sharon: LOL at the hair thing about your hubby. Glad the toe is feeling a bit better. Hugs.

Patti: Great job exercising the past week. Good luck at the Dr. visit on the 1st. I hope they are both encouraging and happy with how you have been doing.

Nancy: So sorry you are down. You are so beautiful, smart, strong, caring, friendly and kind to name but a few. Anyone who gets to have your heart is going to be extremely lucky! Hugs sweetie.

Vicki: Wahoo on a size 12/14 fitting! So great.

Val: Congrats on your new job. I hope you adore it. I am so proud of you for the great eating habits you are really having now. Great job. Super that your back is feeling better. I hope you hear from Gabe soon. hugs.

Storey: I hope your TSH levels will right themselves soon. Great NSV about all the winter clothes!

Muse: I hope your blood tests are all wonderful.

Xena: I liked Constantine too. I bet you really enjoy the show. BLow him a kiss from me. lol.

Lindsey: Oh boy, have fun on your date! Be careful but have a blast.

Battle: Great advice. Hi sweetie.

Debbie: The banks you are making sound darling. I hope that your spirits are much higher now. Hugs.

Catherine: WOW, you and my DH would love to spend time together. He loves yard sales and stuff like that. Nice that you found some good and useful things.

Meta: SO happy that you had a great time skating with your son. Did you manage to stay on your feet all the time?

Ammi: Good job staying op. YOu can do it hun.

Heather: At least you are noticing the pounds that are trying to creep back on. Beat um back where they belong. Hugs.

Well, I had a nice weekend with my Uncle and my cousin that came to visit. I cooked enchilladas, beans and green salad for yesterday's main meal for them. On Friday I cooked roast, potatoes, onions, carotts and biscuits. I also made an apple pie from scratch which I haven't done in years. This morning they left but before they left I made pancakes and bacon for them. They left with full tummies and I packed them some snacks that I made for them. I had made some homemade ponacitas. I type of fried sweet bread that I grew up making/eating. I packed the rest of them to take with them. I don't think my DH needs to have those around for him to eat. lol. He may think differently but I sent them along.

We did lots of walking around Coeur D alene and the park where I walk every day. It was nice. Yesterday we went on a cruise boat that cruises the lake. I had a nice time. Glad to have no company for a few weeks when my Dad will be coming here around teh 8th of October and be here for about a month for hunting season. I loooooove to spend time with my Dad but do hope I am able to get a job before he comes. lol.

Well, I am going to go swim now. I figured I would swim this week at the Physical Therapy pool that I have been usuing and then on Thursday or Friday I will join the beautiful gym with my husband in Liberty Lake, WA. They have a pool there and every other thing you can imagine to work out. Some of the things I've never even seen. lol.

Hope you are all blessed and having a wonderful day. It sure is fall feeling today.

Blessings,
Annie
Old 09-24-2007, 01:13 PM   #10  
742,000 calories burned

S/C/G: 592/380/175

Height: 5'9"

I'm packing and ironing, and generally doing last minute errands. I caught a ride to the outlet mall on the way south side of town yesterday, and actually found the boots I need for this winter. Nike, gore-tex, size 12, and most importantly, half off. They were last year's color. They only had size 5 and 12 left. That is the one time having freakishly large feet helps. Now I can take the expensive Merrells back and buy some regular running shoes instead. For a tightwad like me, it was a perfect day. I'll try to be back on when we get settled at the hotel. I work before the trip, and rest during. Himself rests before so he can work when he gets there. Have a great week everyone.
Old 09-24-2007, 01:15 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 330/ticker/192

Height: 5'10

Thank you, Meta.

I have spent a long, long time shaping my life into what it is now. I have a long way to go, but I've made a lot of progress. I am very fortunate in that I have wonderful, supportive friends who are there through thick and thin. I may not have a close bio family, or a life partner, but I consider myself extremely fortunate to have good friends and an interesting life.

I spent years in a dead end job spending my free time hiding on my sofa....years of my life wasted in misery and isolation that I cannot get back now. I can only go forward and make the most of the rest of my days. Ironically, the years I spent on the sofa I was a LOT smaller than I am now.

You may not guess from the amount of parties I go to now, but I am basically an introvert. My natural state is to be alone or in small groups. I have learned to schmooze and to like parties and events because it is the path to the life I want. A lot of the events are business-related, and they are what is required of me if I am ever to become profitable in my business. These days, I go to a fair amount of strictly social events and parties as well. The benefits of forcing myself to business networking events and other large crowd events have translated into a transformed life overall.

The first time I went to a networking event several years ago, I was terrified and full of insecurity and loathing and spent most of my time hiding in a bathroom stall. The next time I promised myself I would talk to 3 people, even if it was to remark on the weather, before I could leave.

Last edited by BattleAx; 09-24-2007 at 03:12 PM.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:29 PM   #12  
Because I deserve it!

S/C/G: 315.4/311/165

Height: 5'11"

Annie - That was good of you to cook all the yummy food for your family. I would have been so tempted!!! How did you do it?

Ammi - Glad you are feeling positive again. You can do this. Look how far you have come!

BattleAx - This is just my opinion and is worth exactly what you paid for it, but I don't think you should ever plan to OVEReat. Isn't our goal to learn to do things in moderation? The fact of life is there will always be some "event"....a party, a birthday, a holiday, and just plain old stress. I think we need to learn to deal with these events and how to indulge occasionally. And when we indulge we must learn to do it in moderation and without beating ourselves up later. How do we learn to do this? Heck if I know, I am still trying to learn myself. But, if I had to guess, I'd say we learn it the same way we learn everything else we do....by practicing. I don't know about you but I have to work very hard on changing my all or none thinking. I could very well see myself in your situation at a party with fabulous food I wanted to try. Once I did I would probably beat myself up and then use it as an excuse to keep eating beyond the event. But what I'd like to learn is how to enjoy some tasty things and just mentally move on. For me, it's never the actual event thatm messes me up. It's the downward spiral of negative thoughts and actions that come after that. It the self-loathing and guilt that leads to the really damaging bingeing. So you had this party experience and it sounds like you think you could have done better. Keep this in mind at your next party which will be your next chance to "practice" your behavior changes. Little changes will add up slowly. It's hard to make a 180 degree change in habit overnight. So we have to forgive our messups along the way and just keep plugging along. How else will we ever get there? You can do this.

Well, I must go. I have two tests this week to study for. I am not terribly worried about them but I do need to get some preparation in.

Take care, everyone.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:36 PM   #13  

Xena,

What you said is soooo true for me. It always seems to be SOMETHING going on... stress, bdays at work, holidays, parties, going out to eat... it never ends! How I deal with life on life's terms and not overeat? That's my dilemma.

Hugs and Luv,
Ratkity
Old 09-24-2007, 08:57 PM   #14  

It always WILL be something. Life is not going to stop throwing stuff at us until we die, so I think we need to be prepared with a plan! And if we go off plan... okay. Figure out how to do better next time. Cause there will be a next time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetaChick
I've decided that I've got to work with what I've got, and what I've got is a girl who will probably always live to eat a little bit. I've tried to embrace that in my new approach, and have learned to actively like the fact that I like food. I like being someone who thinks about food with interest and passion when it's appropriate because wonderful food and drink is one of life's pleasures. I want to be someone who is fully involved and completely comfortable with all of life's many pleasures.
one of the many reasons I am in no rush to lose a lot more weight is because I DO enjoy all kinds of foods and still do indulge! I'm with you on life's pleasures! I don't want to make the kind of sacrifices I would need to lose another 30-50 pounds (which would be my healthy range). Maybe someday I will, but it's just not a goal now.

But, how I indulge has changed a lot. And I can't make every single meal or even day an occasion, or I will gain it back. But, I can pick and choose what I will do on those occasions!

1) I pay attention to my exercise on a day when I think I might indulge some

2) I think strategically about what I'm going to do. I've had days when there were 2 food events! I usually choose not to indulge at both events, but pick one. I may allow myself a special food, but I find ways to limit myself from eating too much. Several strategies are: wait until it's almost gone to have any, get some and then run away from the plate, find a way to make it that I can't get more...

3) Eat a little something BEFORE the event so that hunger doesn't drive my decisions.

4) I still pay attention to what I am eating, so I can write it down later. I will choose to eat it and still be accountable for it

At the weight I'm at and the exercise I do, I can maintain my weight on about 2200 calories a day on average. That's actually a lot of food. And if I choose to eat 1800 calories a day for several days, I can eat a little more when I do indulge to make up for it...

Just some of my thoughts!

Last edited by Heather; 09-24-2007 at 08:58 PM.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:12 PM   #15  
Not Giving Up!

S/C/G: 351/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Hello Everyone,

I hope you all had a good weekend. Me, I spent most of Saturday out in the yards, mostly weeding, and boy, were the backs of my thighs sore come Sunday! They're still a little tight feeling even now. It was hubby's birthday this weekend, and so I indulged a bit but tried not to go overboard and for the most part (that damn cake again!) was successful ... no loss today but am chalking that up to TOM.

I have a bad feeling that my scale's battery is dying. Mine is a Conair WW digital scale, the low-end version, about two years old. It's supposed to be a lifetime lithium battery (I think) but does anyone know how long those REALLY last? I'm scared that the recent pounds I've lost are more to do with that ...

This morning I was getting ready to leave my house, and realized after shutting the door that I didn't have my keys in my purse like I thought. We're out in the country so there's no way for me to walk anywhere, luckily I had my cellphone with was low on power but gave me enough to call my SIL who came and drove me to work, about an hour late. What a great start to the week! So tonight I went out and made two copies of my key - one to hide somewhere outside our house and one for her - so next time this happens (and the way my brain works, it will), I'll be prepared.

Please forgive me for not doing any personals right now - my head is pounding so I'm going to take some advil and go to bed. I hope to be back in the morning to 'speak' to you all again. G'night
Closed Thread