Old 09-17-2007, 10:50 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Default How do you Accomodate for your Weight?

Very interesting thread in 100+ I thought most of us could relate to!

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123037

I think I did everything people have mentioned!

I used to call up to hubby all the time when I wanted something instead of walking up the stairs. When I started to change my lifestyle, I decided I would walk up and ask rather than exercise my danged vocal cords...

Trying not to bend or kneel or sit on the floor...

I like to have students work in small groups in my classroom, but could never check out the groups working at the back of the room cause it was too hard to walk back there! I just didn't!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 12:47 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 351/ticker/175

Height: 5'9"

Heather, I used to have my husband drive me everywhere because I couldn't get the seat belt around me, now I don't mind driving at all because I can.
Also the bending one, I would always say it was my back so I couldn't, now I don't mind bending at all and really, it feels pretty good!
Asking for a table instead of a booth, did that one too, now it's booths.
The main reason I started losing weight is not just for health reasons, but because we are going to get on a plane next year and go see my in-laws. I don't want to have to ask for an extender or be told I have to buy two tickets.
If I was doing yardwork, weeding and stuff, I would leave the piles of weeds, until someone else would pick them up, now I do it.
I always left the mowing to my hubby, now I do it.
Even walking, I used to blame it on my back and tell people I had to sit, now I can walk and walk like everyone else.
Gosh, there are probably a million of em, but these are the ones that come to mind right now.

Debbie
Debbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 08:23 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Oh, another one! My feet used to get so sore shopping, that I would go with hubby and then wait in the car (to rest my feet) while he stood in line to check out!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 09:04 AM   #4  

Height: 5'6"

Its amazing how many of those things applied to me as well before I started. Even though I am now at a weight that many are starting at, I am now not having the issues that some had at the weight I am at now. It must be that I feel so much better not lugging those 90 lbs on top of the 100 plus I still need to lose! Amazing how that works.

I can particularly relate to the booths and boobs on the table or my thighs hitting the table. Grease me up and slide me in!! It wasn't pretty getting OUT either.
Torister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 10:25 AM   #5  

About the only thing I can think of is I used to park as close as possible to wherever I was going. At work, the lots are 1/4 mile from the building and you have to walk up a hill. The meters are only 2 hour and then there's 3 hour "visitor" parking where they will ticket you if you work there. I would park in the 2 hour meters and go feed them and roll the car back to hide the chalk on the tires from the meter man. I'd do the same thing in the visitor spaces. I paid a LOT of parking tickets. In the end, I probably walked more than I would have if I parked in the lots, but shorter distances, so I didn't huff and puff so much. I still don't always park in the lots, but now instead I park in a free spot on the street - 6/10 of a mile from the office, so I get MORE exercise, not less!

I also live in a split foyer house and would call to my son to bring me something from upstairs if I was down, but I have to admit, I still do that. But it's laziness, not weight accomodation.

Last edited by Lilion; 09-18-2007 at 10:25 AM.
Lilion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 10:48 AM   #6  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

- I would make my BF carry everything up the stairs into the apartment.
- If I forgot something in the car or on the ground floor I would try to do without it rather than have to go back down to get it.
- I would sit down on the floor to unpack groceries.
- I would sit down on the floor to sort my laundry.
- I always bought clothes that were cotton and somewhat stretchy so that there was always give to them. I didn’t want to worry about a tight waistband. With such loose clothes I never realized how much I had gained.
- I definitely went for the table rather than booth in restaurants. I didn’t want to face the possibility of not fitting.
- I had to bring my office chair into the conference room for long meetings because the arms on the conference room chairs were too small for me.
- I would choose to stand in places rather than sit in a chair that would cut off my circulation, including at the doctor’s office when I was sick.

Probably my most poignant one – at my highest weight I thought I was too fat to use a toilet in an airplane so I would make sure I didn’t have to go during a flight. I was terrified that I wouldn’t be able to get that door closed on that little room. Luckily I used one without incident the last time I flew, but it was so stressful thinking that I wouldn’t be able to use the bathroom. The sad thing is that this was probably mostly in my head.
NotTheCheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 10:51 AM   #7  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Things I used to do to accomodate for my weight.

1. refuse to drive myself anywhere
2. send DH, DS, or SD to buy the groceries
3. have DH always clean the bathrooms so I didn't have to bend
4. send one of my kids to get the mail from the mailbox
5. have DH or kids do the mopping or vacuuming
6. if I did go to the store with DH , I'd have him drop me off at the door
7. have DH do all the yardwork
8. sometimes used a stool to sit on while I cooked
9. there was a while there that I used a shower chair to even bathe myself (but this was due to illness and obesity combined)
10. was too embarassed to ask for a table instead of a booth, but would get aggravated that the booth was squishing me
11. used handicap restoom whenever possible to fit more easily
12. used one of my FIL's handicap stickers in my car to get the closest parking possible if I did drive myself somewhere
13. if I got invited anywhere with family and friends, I'd refuse to go saying I was sick that day (missed birthday celebrations, graduations, reunions, weddings and even funerals sometimes)
14. I did go fishing with DH but he had to drive me right to where I was gonna sit and then set up my chair, pole and bait right beside me so I didn't have to move a bit
15. I had been known to call from my bedroom to the kitchen phone to have one of my kids bring me something to drink or a snack
16. I would have my kids bring the laundry to me so I could fold it
I'm sure my list could go on and on.

Last edited by lilybelle; 09-18-2007 at 10:52 AM.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 12:29 PM   #8  

I’ve done most of the things that have already been posted including avoiding booths/chairs with arms, not wearing my seatbelt in the car, using the elevator, parking in the lot when employees are supposed to park two blocks away…

One of my lowest points was when I faked being too sick to fly. A group of friends and I were going to Florida/Disney. It was our 3rd trip together and we were looking forward to the amusement park rides. I got myself really worked up about getting a seatbelt extender, not being able to keep up with everyone (walking) and being afraid that I wouldn’t fit in the roller coaster seats that I called and told my friends the morning of the trip that I was up all night vomiting and wouldn’t be able to fly.

What I’m most ashamed of is (until recently) allowing my 76 year old mother (who has health issues) to work too hard doing chores that I, as her daughter, should do for her.
mizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 08:40 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 351/286/140

Height: 5'6"

This is a good thread..makes you really look at yourself! I have done almost everything mentioned before...sad UGh also we are fast food aholics! Sad to say but it is just easier..we have gotten ALOT better but not all the way recovered. BUT late at night I will tell hubby right before bed I swear probably 730pm or so that if he goes and gets ice cream I will love him and massage him!! ISNT that horrible!! AND when he does not I get angry! Another thing I do is get so mad when I get in his jeep cause his seatbelt is so tight on me..I dont wear it and say things like well If i go through the window so be it cant wear it..OMG that is just bad!
azcyn is offline   Reply With Quote