Closed Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 12:48 PM   #46  
Vortex

S/C/G: 330/see ticker/???

Happy belated birthday, Lilion! Sorry your friend is so, well, unreliable. At least she's moved.

Heather, Hope you have a great first week of classes! It's week 4 for us, so I'm actually having individual conferences with one group of students already.

Terri, Wow! I couldn't run that far to save my life. I mean, I really don't think I could.

Luja, I can't get over photo shock no matter what I do. Sometimes I think I should desensitize myself so that as I lose I could look at progress pics.

Speaking of which, I did something yesterday I haven't done in a long time... bought clothes that I was pretty sure weren't going to fit, thinking, well, when I lose 20 more pounds I can wear these. I know in general that's not especially healthy. On the other hand, it's the first time in a long time that I've believed that I really will lose 20 more pounds.

Hope everyone's having a good weekend.
Old 09-09-2007, 01:21 PM   #47  
aka Valerie

S/C/G: 350/345/195

The trainer called. He's ready to take Gabriel next weekend. OMG! That means that in just a few short weeks, EYE will be up on that magnificent monster! Gosh, I just hope I don't end up rolling off like a bowling ball off a fence rail. I find that I'm scared u-know-what-less. I'm not sure if it's the falling off part, or the breaking something part, or the hurting my horse part, or the embarrassing myself part, or - I don't know what. This is the moment I've been waiting for for 20 years, and I know I'm not ready... because of my weight. I ride other horses - smaller, less powerful, slower horses - without fear. But this one is special, and I want to do him justice. I don't want to get hurt, but I don't want for him to be wasted with me, either.

And you know what I want to do right now???? I want SO badly to sooth my fear with... sugar. Cake, donut, chocolate, ice cream... zingers. I feel that urge, and I know that it's what has stolen and destroyed so much of my life already, and don't worry I WON'T do it - but that horrible, desparate urge is still there.

There's a big sale at Penney's this weekend, 20-60% off, plus I have a 25% off coupon, plus my CC gives me 10%, so I'm going to go hide from my fears among the clothes racks, and hopefully find something for the new job that I don't yet have.

My goodness, life is scary. Sometimes even the good stuff.
Old 09-09-2007, 07:09 PM   #48  
Vortex

S/C/G: 330/see ticker/???

Valerie, I'm so glad you posted when you were craving! Do something else good for you or nice to you if you're still craving. Stress is the cause, so keep treating the stress instead of the craving, lady! We're all with you!
Old 09-09-2007, 08:58 PM   #49  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Valerie - I completely understand the scared-you-know-what-less. I was terrified when I first got up on Spanky. I was afraid of him blowing up and me falling off and of riding like a fool in front of the trainer and his wife. I think I did do the fool part because it had been so long since I had ridden and I have no experience riding horses with a snaffle bit. I still ask myself what the I'm doing riding green broke 3 yo's. How many days training will he get? I, personally, think I would have been more comfortable with a full 60 days. What kind of retail therapy did you accomplish?

I discovered a new way to exercise the dog. Doing laps around the house with the 4-wheeler with them chasing me. Duke can run pretty darn fast.

to all!
Old 09-09-2007, 11:15 PM   #50  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Terri -- Your doggie exploits reminded me...

When our older dog was a puppy we used to exercise him as follows (keep in mind he was and still is highly motivated for food). One of us would stand at the top of the stairs and the other at the bottom. We would take turns calling him. When he came, he got a piece of kibble. Then the other one would call... that dog could FLY up those stairs!

I knew from teaching psychology that once a behavior is established, you can extend time between rewards, so after a while we started rewarding him only every 2nd time, and 3rd... if you reward animals on a variable schedule, they will go a long time between rewards... however, in his case, he could only make so many trips up and down the stairs before tiring out!!
Old 09-10-2007, 05:06 AM   #51  

I am back on line at least for now. My computer is still not working as it should, but at least it is working.

Terri has said she is going to start a new thread every Monday, so I will wait and catch up with all of you after she opens that one. Ta! Ruth
Old 09-10-2007, 06:48 AM   #52  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Stop! Do not post here! Join us on the next volume thread of Gettin' Fit after 40!
Closed Thread