Old 08-01-2007, 11:30 AM   #16  

You know, the worst part of my "epiphany" was that I'd been in trouble for YEARS with my health, and NOT A SINGLE DOCTOR said it had anything to do with my weight!

I had back pain and disk problems to the point that I had to have epidural steroid injections twice.

I had chest pains and shortness of breath with even minor exercise - just walking a block to my car.

I had - and still have - high blood pressure. I was actually hospitalized with a BP of 210/135. It took three days and three different meds to get it under control.

I actually ASKED my cardiologist after that, "Should I lose weight?" and he responded, "Shouldn't we all?" (He was about 400 lbs himself - never trust a fat cardiologist to tell you your weight is an issue.)

These things all happened months to years before I hit 328 and decided I had to change things. I used to smoke. I always said I would quit the first time a doctor told me they were the reason for any health problem. When I went in for a sinus infection and my doctor told me I wouldn't have been sick if I didn't smoke, I did quit. (Okay, I still do now and then when I'm stressed, but I didn't for years.) I can't help but think I would have done something about my weight sooner had my doctor simply said, "This is killing you!" I know I should have just KNOWN that the weight was an issue, but I just kind of trusted someone "in authority" to tell me so!

The bottom line - If you think your weight is an issue - it is! Don't put off getting it off. to all of you with the health issues. They will get better - really!
Lilion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 11:40 AM   #17  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torister View Post
I don't know that losing the weight will make it easier to deal with other problems, but I know when I was at my starting weight I barely had the energy to get up and *live* let alone conquering any challenges. So, I think if you are physically feeling better, you might take on other challenges as opposed to avoiding them. I hope that makes sense!
Absolutely! I used to barely make it through a shopping trip to the grocery store, my bf would have to carry up all the bags and then I would sit on the floor in front of the fridge to pack things away because my feet hurt so much and I was so tired. When the littlest things like that make you tired, you avoid doing all kinds of things. I used to have all these fears about going places because I was always worried I would have to walk too far. Sure, that still might happen, but I don't live with that fear anymore. I know I can handle basic levels of exertion.
NotTheCheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 01:12 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Oh my goodness -- I had bad foot pain (maybe plantar faschiitis) and often couldn't even make it THRU the grocery shopping. If I was with my husband, I'd have him stand in line and pay while I went and sat in the car!!!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 01:54 PM   #19  
I AM healthy!

S/C/G: 270/196.2/135

Height: 5'4

hahahahahahah Awwwwwww.....*HUGZ*
Jasmine31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 02:16 PM   #20  
Ironman in Training

S/C/G: 302/205/150

Height: 5'5

"know when I was at my starting weight I barely had the energy to get up and *live* let alone conquering any challenges"

Yeah, I was getting to that point too, and top of that I had untreated depression and you can just imagine how hard it was to convince myself to get things done including re-starting. It's not like I didn't get myself into that situation, but I don't think people understand how hard it is to get started when you're really heavy and everything is an effort.

Anyway 300 is just a number it's happened you can wave hello to it and say see-yah!

Everyone here is such an inspiration to me. I especially like hearing about those who are maintaining and started off where I was. Makes me feel like it IS possible. I haven't seen below 220 as an adult. Thats 15 YEARS. Ugh.
Idealmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 02:17 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 357/see tracker/150

Height: 5'2"

My epiphany was in finally finding out for sure that no--it wasn't my imagination, my bf of 13 years was cheating on me. I took a good long hard look at our relationship and had to decide if I still loved him and wanted to be with him, etc. Once I had my honest answers, I had to look at myself and see where I had gone wrong in our relationship. There were other mistakes that I've made, but I realized that actually the "easiest" thing for me to tackle at first was my weight. I believe that in order to have a healthy relationship both parties have to be "healthy". I am not talking about weight when I say that I am talking mentally. Some people are happy and healthy in their relationships even though one or both of the parties are overweight--I just know that for me to be "healthy" I had to start working on my weight and stop the underlying reasons for my overeating.

Mostly I overeat--yes--even to this day--out of boredom or to stop feeling my painful emotions. You want to know what I've learned? I actually feel better when I express my feelings --even the anger and fear and hurt. This might sound a little crazy but in a way I'm glad that I found out about "her"--it enabled me to start taking the steps that I needed to in order to start getting me back. Not that I want to go through that again.
dolfingirl2000 is offline   Reply With Quote