Old 07-09-2007, 08:44 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 304.6/285.2/165

Height: 5'6"

Default looking for a good exercise dvd

I sometimes don't exercise as much as I'd like to because I can't get out of the house. It just doesn't work out sometimes with my two year old, or you know, the weather. Can anyone reccommend a good cardio dvd I can buy. I remember when I was a little girl I used to exercise to my mother's Jane Fonda video! lol It was so easy then!
inadreem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 09:52 AM   #2  

S/C/G: Slow but steady

Height: 5' 11"

Well right now i am just LOVING Walk Away The Pounds, one mile. It is so wonderful. I had my doubts about whether a "walking" video could count as good cardio, but boy oh boy, i love it. I already have other videos of her in my line up ready to be shipped from Netflix.

I also like Core Secrets by Gunner Petterson, he works on the stability ball, but it is not so much about cardio.
Get n healthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 08:30 PM   #3  
Because I deserve it!

S/C/G: 315.4/311/165

Height: 5'11"

Ditto on the Walk Away the Pounds DVD's. I have the 1, 2, and 3 mile. The steps are easy and it's a good workout. If you are short on time, the 1 mile workout is just 20 minutes.
Xena2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 08:31 PM   #4  
Vortex

S/C/G: 330/see ticker/???

I've been using a Prevention video called Dance It Off. It has short segments (I think the longest is 15 minutes). For me it's a good place to start... I actually find my stamina and my coordination both improving gradually, so with luck I can do something even more fun soon. The intensity varies from one section to another, too, so you can make whatever kind of work out you want from it. (Oh, and if you do the whole DVD, I think it's about 45 min.)
Vortex_VVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 03:45 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 315/see ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

I haven't posted in a while, but when I saw your questions I had to reply!!

I have found to videos that I really love The Biggest Loser (the first video) and Hip Hop Abs!

Good Luck!
cldavis04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 03:57 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 195/see ticker/125

Height: 4'11

i loooooooooveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee turbo jam
freeqeegrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 08:16 AM   #7  

Anything Kathy Smith - I've got the Project You set of DVDs right now. It's great and she's back to not being hyper like her old stuff. She's really good at offering modifiers and transitioning between sets. I also like Yoga Booty Ballet and have all of their stuff, but it's frustrating the first few times you do their workouts because BOOM they can be on to a whole new step. K.S. does a better job with that. Kathy Smith's Yoga DVDs are also great - the inflexible can do them!
luja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 06:44 PM   #8  

That's creepy...my boss' name is kathy smith. I don't think I would work out to that, it'd feel like my boss was commanding yet another aspect of my life. :-P
WinterStarzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 07:05 PM   #9  
Releasing the inner hiker

Another WATP devotee here. I don't know how clutsy you are, but I have poor balance and get easily frustrated/annoyed with confusing routines. Leslie Sansone, while a little chatty on some videos, is great for easy-to-follow but still-work-up-a-sweat routines. My favorite routines of hers are the WATP Express videos (Miles 1, 2, or 3) because they incorporate the stretchie band (fun!).

Her new WalkSlim routines are much faster and harder than the Express. Plus, for new walkers, the 1 mile is part of the 2 mile, so if you wanted to stop after 1, you would have to stop the DVD mid-routine and find the cool down chapter on the disk menu. I think this would annoy me if I was just starting out.

Good luck!
Zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 10:18 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 455/435/150

Height: 5'5

Hi there,

I like and older video by Richard Simmons, its called Get started.. Its a type of walk arobics.. Really good for the beginner, he also has one called sit tight, you do the exercises from a seated position.. As I need really beginner videos, I look toward the ones for older adults also.. they are good exercises and easy on the knees.. Ebay is wonderful for good deals on them too!

Rochelle
babyblueangeleyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 10:01 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 375/ticker/275

Height: 5'7.5"

Leslie Sansone's good. I use WATP also. It's so simple, but very effective. I'm sweating buckets by the time I'm done.

I also bought Zumba once upon a time. I still have the DVD's and pop them in once in awhile. It's reeeeally cheesy, but kinda fun (when no one's home) to try to salsa/exercise.
MarinePrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 11:49 AM   #12  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

I highly recommend getting things from Netflix or the library to give them a chance before you buy them. I find that so much is dependent on the person doing the dvd.

I also recommend WATP as a great place to start.

I really like the Neena and Veena Bellydance Fitness for Beginners dvds. They are fun and not too tough. Unfortunately I have mine on VHS and after moving I no longer have a player! I think I will have to buy them again.

It isn't cardio, but for yoga I like the Just My Size dvd with Megan Garcia. I really like that it is geared towards larger women.
NotTheCheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 08:45 PM   #13  
Chubby vegan :\

Height: 5'9"

I'm with Rochelle... I love the old Richard Simmons DVDs because I want to see that "bigger" folks can dance and hop around the room, too! It's not very encouraging to me to watch perfect size 2's do it. I have a few of Richard's, but the main one I use is the Disco Sweat one, and the thing I love about it is at the end they tell you how much weight each of the people in the video lost, which I find amazingly inspiring. It makes you think "well, if that person started at my size (or larger), I can start moving, too!" It actually makes me a little emotional. Of course, you have to like Richard Simmons to be able to watch him... he can be a little over the top, but I think he's adorable.
Christine in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 10:48 AM   #14  

I think it's helpful to know what workout DVDs people don't like when they offer suggestions, so I can see if their taste somewhat resembles mine.

I used to work at a group home where one of the woman loved to exercise to Richard Simmons. He makes me want to run screaming from the room and I had to endure hours and hours of him since it was part of my job to exercise with her. I need another job where I get paid to exercise
luja is offline   Reply With Quote