Closed Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 03:26 PM   #106  

S/C/G: 330/ticker/192

Height: 5'10

Default A few small successes

Last night I went to the movies with a friend. He wanted dinner afterward. I had already eaten, but offered to go along with him for company. I had already anticipated this and decided to keep my resolve not to eat to be sociable or because the food looked good.

We went to Chevy's, and I ate a few chips. Holding on to my new motto (thanks to this board) of progress not perfection, I managed to stop at a few chips. This is huge. I dont think I've ever eaten just a few chips--normally I'd make my way through the whole basket and be looking for more. Also, I didn't turn a few chips into an all-or-nothing event in which I'd then decide to order an entree because I'd messed up and all was lost.

This morning, a skinny-minnie friend invited me to walk around a lake that's about 3.3 miles. It was great exercise, and nice to have the company. Of course, she didn't break a sweat, but she was nice about letting me set the pace of the walk.

After the walk I went to the supermarket and bought some very nice things to eat in the next few days. Interestingly, I did not set out to buy "diet foods". I set out to buy nice foods that taste good and are reasonably healthful. When I got to the register I realized that my cart looked like a "diet cart" of my past, but that was not really my intention, and I was happy about my selections. I don't know how to explain this, exactly, but it was different for me.
Old 07-14-2007, 03:34 PM   #107  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

BattleAx -- It really is true that the biggest victories are often really small in many ways. This whole journey is about putting together lots and lots of small changes!

I know what you mean about the grocery cart. I don't eat a lot of "diet" foods, but my cart is usually full of "healthy" items -- fruits, vegs, lean meats, yogurt, whole grain bread -- even dark chocolate -- that I LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!
Old 07-14-2007, 03:43 PM   #108  

Height: 5'8.5"

BattleAx, good for you! And I can relate exactly! I don't buy diet foods either but even this morning when I went to the store and saw all my stuff piled up on the counter I realized how healthful it all looked! It's a great feeling.

And good job on stopping at a few chips and your long walk!
Old 07-14-2007, 03:54 PM   #109  

S/C/G: 351/ticker/175

Height: 5'9"

O Ladies, I'm so grateful for all your comments and encouragement on how to handle my dilemma. It felt good to be told I was doing the right thing, even though I think in my heart, I knew it all the time. It brought tears to my eyes to see the caring words you had for me. I appreciate each and everyone of you so much. so much to each of you and please give yourself a big from me to you.

The kids DID comeback here on Friday to let us know that they agreed with the $300 a month and wanted to be sure it wouldn't keep going up. They still tried to get us to list what the money was going to, but my husband simply commented, "When you rent a house, do you ask the landlord what they are spending each penny on?" They said no, then my hubby continued with, "Well, then why should we have to explain." That shut them up pretty quick. Amy is still with a 'tude and wouldn't say hello or goodbye as they left for their little mini-vacation to Vancouver. And hopefully when they get back, she will toddle off to their bedroom and I won't have to look at her. Yes folks, her and I don't see eye to eye on alot of things. I'm hopeful it will all work out though.

Sue, you amaze me at your ambition to do the exercise. I still haven't really dedicated myself to moving. I've been doing lots of outside work though, so hopefully that counts. I loved your Peter story...its so true.
I don't have the big boobs, but I sure hate those short tops too. I don't want my gut to show no matter what!

Notthecheat: Have a great time with your friend! There's nothing better than catching up with a good friend.

Catherine: Thanks so much for listing the habits of successful weight loss. Those I'm going to print out and keep on my fridge. And again, your words really touched my heart, thank you

Sharon: They are very immature. They think that life owes them and I'm finding out that so many friends are having the same trouble with their offspring. Weird huh? I think aliens have taken over their bodies because this is not how we raised them.
Don't give up hon, keep plodding away...that weight WILL come off!

Annie: You're another that amazes me at the exercise your committed to. I'm sort of jealous of you guys!
I'm shocked at how those people could question you like that but I think Sue has a good idea, the stories we could tell these idiots! I think I would of just stood there with my mouth hanging open not believing what I just heard. I think you handled it well.
I think the scrapbook is a great idea! What a wonderful thing to have to look back at and be so proud for what we have accomplished. Nobody knows the struggles its been, the sacrifices we've gone thru to lose the weight.

Kymberly: You have yourself a great time on your vacation!! And on being in the 180's!! That's just awesome!!!
Zest: Just pick yourself up and get back on OP. We've all been there and please don't deny yourself anything. It's so true you'll just end up wanting it more and then really blow it. It's all about moderation. Just remember, you CAN do it!!

Now for a bit of good news. Some friends from California are coming up on the 29th. We haven't seen them in a couple years and we are all going to Canada to stay at Whistler mountain. They booked a 2 bedroom suite which overlooks the town and the snow covered mountains. It's going to be sooooo much fun and we all need it sooooooo much since they are going thru pretty much the same thing with her daugther. We will be there just for the weekend of the 3rd, but its going to be so much fun.
Everyone have a great weekend, and stay OP, drink that water!!!
Debbie
Old 07-14-2007, 03:59 PM   #110  

S/C/G: 351/ticker/175

Battleax:
I remember going to the grocery store and thinking, wow, "diet" food is sooooooo expensive....so let's load up on the cookies, candies, and junk like that, which is just empty, and life threatening foods.
Now I go to the store and think, this is healthy, good for me food, and paying the higher price to have a longer life is well worth it.
I'm proud of my shopping cart at checkout everytime!!!!
Debbie
Old 07-14-2007, 07:40 PM   #111  

Debbie Soooooooooooooooooooo true! We think nothing about swinging through a latte stand and paying $5 for a mocha, or buying burgers, fries and cokes. But yikes those fresh fruits and veggies are SOOOOOO expensive! I would rather spend it at the grocery store than my doctor's office ha.

Sounds as if you and your hubby handled things VERY well... LOL would have loved to have been a little mouse hiding in the corner to see their expressions. Not that you have mice in your house LOL! Way to go for establishing just who is in charge there... keep it up! And yah I am sure you did know you were right but it is so much harder when there is emotion involved and we are dealing with people we love!

And hey everybody... guess what... I HAVE AIR CONDITIONING! It is super and already really cool in here! Yay! And the guy showed me how to take it out this winter and put it back in. It won't be that hard. Yippppppppppeeeeeeeeee I may never leave here until winter!
Old 07-14-2007, 08:29 PM   #112  
Releasing the inner hiker

Well, I’m a bit late on posting this stuff, but here goes anyway:

Debbie, the sprinklers sound like so much fun! I should do that some day. However, about your son and dil…sigh. I would be furious at the audacity she showed….to list what they are costing you??? I have changed in the last few years and am not much of a “doormat” so to speak. I would have come back very forcefully with, “these are my expectations and if you can not abide by them, you have 30 days to find somewhere else to live.” So, in my opinion, I do not think you were out of line. Too many people feel entitled nowadays and that is one of my biggest pet peeves. (And I agree with Sue’s suggestion for a written contract so that everyone is clear about the expectations.) However, I’m glad to read that things are getting better and I hope that the dil comes around soon.

Annie, the gall of some people. You were much sweeter than I would have been. I think I would have answered every question with “Why do you want to know” or “why are you so rude?” And you amaze me with your exercise habits!

Wyllenn, I have been exercising, but not posting the minutes, as if I don’t post them daily, I get confused as to where I left off. I’ll post them at the end of the month and right now I’m on track for my 900 minutes. (I’d love to see the 200,000 this year as well!)

Catherine, you told a nun to stop talking? Bwahahahah…your stories crack me up.

Zest, I have this problem as well during the school year. I come home and want to eat the house down. However, I have found a solution that helps: I bring 12 almonds to school in the morning and eat them on the way home and then as soon as I get home, I change and grab the dog, and go for a 30 minute walk. Then, after the walk, I am feeling good from the exercise and typically will make a healthy dinner. The almonds really help with the “starving” feeling I usually get in the late afternoon. (I have an old jelly jar that I put the almonds in and leave it in the drink holder all day so that I don’t forget them.)

Misti, I am often inspired by all the exercise you guys do. In fact, I wasn’t going to go for another walk tonight, but I just may now. I’ve even been thinking of adding some sit-ups, ala Annie.

Harry Potter fans, I think I may go see the movie Sunday afternoon after a morning walk. The theatre I go to has stadium seating as well, which I love not only for the comfort on the big butt, but because I have no worries about someone blocking my view. I can’t wait for the last book, either, although it will be bittersweet knowing it is the last.

Well, not much new. 2 days off, 1 day on. I know better than to buy small amounts of sugar, thinking I will measure out a small amount (Hello Haagan Dazs Pineapple Coconut Ice Cream) and be good. I just can’t have sugar in the house. Unless it is chocolate…I’m not a big fan so one bar lasts a long time.

I hope everyone has a lovely Sunday.
Old 07-14-2007, 10:17 PM   #113  

S/C/G: 510/see tracker/160

Height: 5' 9 1/2"

Heather: Yep. I think that thinking about all the positive changes I've made is what will get me through the knowledge that after 100 pounds I am still Super Morbidly Obese. Oh well, onward and downward!

Sharon: Hugs. So sorry that you are struggling right now hun. Keep your head high.

Catherine: Thanks so much for posting the 7 habits again. You are so awesome!

Nancy: I think the scrap book thing will be a great idea that can help me see a difference even if the mirror doesn't coorporate. lol.

Misit: Hugs back and glad you swam!

Battleax: You are doing well. Small changes, baby steps. Good for you.

Debbie: Hugs and glad things are a bit more mellow. It is awful living in a hostile environment so I feel so bad for you. Your daughter in law sounds like she needs an attitude adjustment.

Jen: Have a great time when you see the Harry Potter movie. I think my niece that is living with us and my DH are going to see it tonight. DH is being a great sport about it cause if he is going to a movie, I'm sure that isn't the one he would choose. lol.

Well, I have done my exercises for the day and even went in the pool for a bit. I am tired and think I will turn in for the night soon. Hope you are all doing well and having a great weekend.
Blessings,
Annie
Old 07-14-2007, 10:57 PM   #114  

Jen -- It's actually kinda neat to have some people who post at the end of the month. We get a big "whoosh" that way!

Annie -- You're doing so well!!! Sleep tight!
Old 07-14-2007, 11:54 PM   #115  

S/C/G: 330/ticker/192

Height: 5'10

Debbie, imo learning to stand firm against those who would walk all over you is related to losing weight. When we value ourselves enough to not be a doormat, we make more room for being able to take care of ourselves in all ways, including making healthy choices.

Additionally, your son and dil need to learn some lessons about being an adult. You wouldn't be doing them any favors by allowing them to take advantage of you and thinking they are entitled to whatever they want just because they say so. Obviously they're not appreciating the opportunity you're already giving them by providing room, board and support so that they can better their lives...for practically nothing.

I'm happy that you held firm at $300 and you and your dh wouldn't answer to them about what the money is spent on. That was very nervy on your DIL's part.
Old 07-15-2007, 01:17 AM   #116  
742,000 calories burned

S/C/G: 592/380/175

I am so tired, I could just sit here and throw up. I just came in from working 6 hours in a concession stand at the FIFA world cup. I think it was Spain vs. Czech Republic. Being a quarter Czech, I am pleased to report that they won. We sold around 400 hotdogs, just as an example. Only half our ovens were working, and none of the steamers, so we had to cook hotdogs, footlongs, and smokies in the main kitchen. If I never eat another hotdog in my life, I will be fine, because the smell is all over me. I lost track of the number of cases of hamburgers we cooked. They weren’t letting anyone bring water in because of security concerns, and it was over 100 degrees on the field, so you can imagine how much bottled water and other drinks we sold. We even had to make coffee and hot chocolate, please. The guy who works for the company that runs the concession was about 12 years old. Why is it the older I get, the younger kids look to me. There is such a labor shortage here that almost all service jobs are filled by teenagers. I can truthfully say that I got tired of being called “dude.”

Battleax-Heather is right. This is about making a million little changes instead of just a couple of big ones. You’ll know the change is permanent when you start doing weird things like crave vegetables or take the stairs because it is actually faster now.

Debbie-enjoy your vacation. They set a new record high in that part of BC, so better bring your swim suit, you may need it.

Sue-If we got air conditioning, we’d have to get one of those portable units because our windows are practically like doors on a submarine with an air lock. They are designed to be closed and air tight. What works for the polar bear I live with is an old Florida trick. I take wash rags, wet them, and wring them out, then freeze them. When he comes in, I take the frozen rag out, and wet it down to make it flexible, and stick one on his head and the other on the back of his neck, stick him in front of the fan, and he cools right off. The first time I did it to him, he almost wet his pants, but he just sat there moaning with pleasure.

Alice-I figure that as many times as nuns told me to zip it up in class growing up, that I was owed a few. It felt so good too. If felt almost as good as the time I “accidentally” squirted mustard on my principal’s habit in the 4th grade. She was a Carmelite nun, and the front of their habit is a light cream color. My mom had to work in the school library for quite a while that time to keep me from getting booted. It wasn’t her first or last trip there to work. I have 5 older brothers. Unfortunately this nun is also my supervisor in teaching religious ed at church, so I’m sure I’m going to get assigned all the dog meat topics next fall. If I have to explain one more time that the Davinci Code is fiction, and not a history book, I’m going to scream.

Annie-I used to be super-super-super-super morbidly obese. That’s a BMI of 90 and above. I was 89.98 at my highest. Wow that’s creepy even thinking about it. I prefer “large economy size” to all those supers.

Nancy-I agree with you that #1 is there at the top for a reason. I can’t count how many times that one slip has led to a big binge, because “I’ve already blown it.”

I am off to bed. I just hope I’ll be able to move tomorrow. I didn’t work that hard when I was actually being paid to work.
Old 07-15-2007, 08:38 AM   #117  

S/C/G: 380/Ticker/180

Height: 5'7"

Nancy:

Heather:

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!

ENJOY!!!!
Old 07-15-2007, 08:42 AM   #118  

Good morning, everyone!

Well, this is certainly interesting! When I first got on the scale this morning it said 13 pounds LESS than yesterday! But when I got on it again a few minutes later it had added back 14 pounds meaning I GAINED one since yesterday! And it DOES seem really strange that I weigh the same now that I did on June 7... when I am exercising my butt off and keep cutting back on what I am eating, and my clothes are getting looser.And now I just got on it again and it says 2 pounds MORE... meaning I have only lost 4 pounds since May 29 which seems impossible even with the muscle building. But I did weigh on the one at work and it actually said a bit higher, but that was several weeks ago. So now I have NO idea how much I actually weigh. Time for a new scale, although this one is not very old.

BattleAx, thanks for posting the avatar photo! It is so nice when I can actually have an idea of what someone looks like when I am communicating with them! Congrats on going to the restaurant and eating only a few chips! That is super.

Jen, glad the exercise is reeling you in! Isn't it neat how it becomes contagious?

Annie, I can't imagine why you would be tired! You are really plowing along with all that exercise!!! Way to go!

Heather, I agree about the late posting... ha that brings up our total fast when we are trying to really push to make the goal!

Catherine, so you think you may have broken the hot dog habit, huh? And your stories about the nuns crack me up! The frozen rag sounds like a good idea... I will keep that in mind! I have often frozen bottles of water, wrapped them in a small towel and put them on my face and back of neck... and even slept with them. Things like that sure do help. But yah I slept really cooooooool last night with my new air con!

This is going to be a busy day for me. We are having one big church service (combining our two) and holding it outdoors, and afterwards a big BBQ. We gave out hundreds of invitations at the festival last weekend so hopefully will have some visitors. It is also the week we do our "Off Ramp Outreach" -- bags of personal items along with information as to where assistance can be obtained etc. -- people at the church take them to hand out when they see people beside the street with signs, etc. I am going early to help make up some bags -- usually we have stuff out and people can make their own, and then they can add stuff at home -- but since of the different service we are going to make them up in advance and run around with them so people can get them from us. So I will get in some nice exercise in the process!

Hope everyone has an OP day! Keep moving those butts everybody!!

Blessings
Sue
Old 07-15-2007, 08:48 AM   #119  

Nancy and Heather!!

Yah... what Donna said!
Old 07-15-2007, 10:13 AM   #120  

Thanks for the anniversary wishes, everyone!

But don't we need to Brenda's birthday too??

Brenda, if I'm right,
Closed Thread