Closed Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 10:08 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Default Old Hens 40+ And Ready to Lose #119

This thread is a sub-set of the 300+ thread.

This group is for those dealing with the challenges of having a significant amount of weight to lose and being fit which becomes harder after age 40. If you're an old or new friend and not over 40 and feel this is the place to post, jump right in.

We start new threads on a Monday.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:12 PM   #2  

Hi ladies,

Close enough to Monday to start a new thread. I might not remember in the morning!

It finally quit raining. We've gotten almost 20 inches of rain in the last 6 days. Sheesh. I've been making myself useful today - laundry, ironing, housecleaning...all things I should have worked on more yesterday but didn't. I also went out and worked on the fill-in around the pool work. A dirty dang job but somebody's got to do it. I have to admit that while it is great exercise for me, it gets tiring that I have to do all the hard physical work around here.

This will be a busy week ahead. My sister is coming up next weekend and we have things to do before we have guests. We want to finish more stuff outside. We didn't get anything done outside last week so it will be double work this week.

I need to go see what Duke is up to; doesn't sound good.

Goodnight and see ya'all on Monday!
Old 07-01-2007, 11:31 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Thanks for starting a new thread, Terri!

Wow, while you had awful weather in Missouri, it was picture perfect here in northern Illinois today. Sunny, 70s, and low humidity. Too bad I didn't get to spend much time outside! Had a nice visit with the inlaws, though...
Old 07-02-2007, 05:31 AM   #4  

Smile Morning!

Good morning ladies, How are you all this morning?

This will be a short note today. I am trying to finish up my housekeeping duties so I can run out to the nursing home for an hour or so. I have already cleaned a bathroom and ironed some more clothes. I have to iron often for Mom. They are changed daily including gowns etc. It adds up in a hurry.

We finally got some rain! Terri is bemoaaning too much and we have had so little since the first of the year. It is has been an odd weather year so far.

I hope everyone is doing well today. Take care, Ruth
Old 07-02-2007, 08:00 AM   #5  
aka Karen

S/C/G: 299/293.5/175

Height: 5'6"

Good morning everyone! Hope all had an OP weekend. The weather in Jersey was just fabulous. Known for our humidity, the air was crisp and clear for a change, mid to upper 70's...just lovely. DH and I did the usual flea markets and garage/yard sales, so plenty of exercise was had by all! I have a bunch of stuff I have to pack and ship so that will keep me busy for a long while today, then auctions have to be listed, pictures taken and descriptions written...busy...busy...busy!

Ruth, I am so relieved to hear your Mom is in a good place. Sounds like a great place actually. I'm sure knowing a lot of the people there gives you comfort. I know how stressful that whole thing can be and knowing your Mom is in good and caring hands is great news. Sounds like you are up and running quite early, have a wonderful day!

Here's to all of you GORGEOUS CHICKIES Have a SUPER OP DAY!!!!
Old 07-02-2007, 10:49 AM   #6  

Wink

Good Morning Ladies!

It's MONDAY! And it was a LONG and WET weekend.

Yep, we had Missouri weather alright. We ran late (like always) and got to the camp Friday night at 7:30 p.m. Missed the dinner they were doing for us and ate on the way...put the tent up mostly in the dark! Then in the night the rain started. I might be glad the rain started after the tent was up, except that if it had been raining when we got there we would have taken the camp director up on her offer of putting us in a cabin and we wouldn't have been wet and cold the rest of the weekend. My medieval tent weighs about 120 lbs dry...wet...you can imagine it's NOT easy to take down and transport. It's now up again, in my back yard, waiting to be dry so we can take it down again and pack it away until the next event.

But even with the rain, it wasn't a terrible time. Good friends, appreciative audiences for our displays (during the 2 hours or so it didn't rain and we could show off our stuff) lots of interest in medieval life and good food. We eat better at these events than anyone who camps in the "usual" way. Saturday night we had roast chicken, boiled potatoes with gravy, lots of fresh fruits and homemade bread and apple cobbler for dessert! All cooked over the campfire. Even in the rain, we managed a fire! And the camp fed us breakfast Saturday and Sunday and the cook came and gave up hot from the oven chocolate chip cookies!

Hmmm, I seem to be emphasizing the food. That could be because right now I feel : There can be no doubt that I'm gaining weight and I HAVE TO STOP NOW!!!

Trying again today. Brought my lunch, had a healthy breakfast, will make a concerted effort to get my water in. I HAVE to start working out again too! I REFUSE to regain all this weight! And I was totally ignoring the weight this weekend! It's just so easy to do, isn't it?

Breathless - I love flea markets and garage sales...I just never seem to get up early enough for the good stuff.

Ruth - You are such an early-bird! And Ironing??? I only do that when DH forgets to fold the laundry and leaves it in a pile to wrinkle! Glad you are getting your much-needed rain...I'd send you some mud if I could! You and your mom are in my thoughts.

Terri - Another dog? Hmmmm, maybe you could name the next one "Done!" I can't imagine having more than the two we have, but then we travel so much overnight that it becomes necessary to kennel ours. A friend would watch one dog for us, but not two. And kenneling two small dogs is pricy enough - I can't imagine four big ones! Just keep thinking about all the muscles you are building! Wish you had more help around the house!

Well, I should go. In their infinate wisdom, The Powers That Be have decided we aren't working hard enough here so we've had more work piled on and the time limits for completion shortened when what we REALLY need is double the work-force! That's bureaucracy.

I hope all of you are having a wonderful day - and Karen (the other one), Barbara, Mary, and all the other's who are MIA - If you are out there - we miss you!!!
Old 07-02-2007, 02:45 PM   #7  
Vortex

S/C/G: 330/see ticker/???

Happy Monday everyone.

I'm getting more serious, finally, about counting calories. Yesterday and today I ate big breakfasts, which has meant I have to be super-cautious the rest of the day. Not a great strategy. But I can't afford to let a day pass when I could be doing something about my weight. Tomorrow I'll start the day with my usual at-home breakfast: cheerios, soy milk, a little fruit.

Lilion, Terri--Sounds like you both got wet, but neither of you got flooded. I was worrying about you yesterday, since my Missouri geography is terrible. Hope things start drying out for you.

Lilion, Good job getting back OP!!! I'm so admiring whenever I look at your ticker. I can't wait for your 208!

Ruth, I'm glad, too, that your mother's in a good facility. My mom just had to leave the rehab she was in for the hospital. The rehab is supposed to be a very good place, but they let her get dehydrated and she had a fainting spell. It's a tough call: she's recovering from a stroke, and they want her to do as much as she can for herself. But evidently her fluid intake wasn't being monitored very well. I'm a little burned up about it.

Hope everyone has a great week!
Old 07-02-2007, 05:47 PM   #8  
aka Karen

S/C/G: 299/293.5/175

Height: 5'6"

HANG IN THERE LILION!!! This is just a temporary bout of "stinkin thinkin". You will get back on track in no time, look at what you have accomplished so far! YOU GO GIRL!!!
Old 07-02-2007, 09:20 PM   #9  
Vortex

Well, despite eating 1300 out of my day's allotment of 1900 calories at breakfast (oy) I managed to stay on program.

After a light lunch, I had 400 calories to spend on dinner. I had broccoli slaw with fat free Italian dressing, 2 cups of low salt vegetable soup, 4 crackers.... Just under 400 calories.

Not that I want to repeat this crazy way of eating, but I'm just proud of myself for doing it.

Mom sounds MUCH better today. Hope that's a tiding of good things to come.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:07 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Lilion -- I know what you mean. I went through a period of face-stuffing when my term turned ugly a couple of months ago. I gained back some weight, went back up a size and lost it for a while. I'm back on plan, in that I'm not overeating, but I'm not really doing what I need to do to lose the weight I gained. It is SO hard to get back on track. Right now, I'm just trying to do what I can everyday.

Angela -- What a recover from a big breakfast! Hope you can right that ship soon. It's stressful to have to do that everyday.
Old 07-03-2007, 06:50 AM   #11  

Smile Hello!

Good morning ladies, Are you all ready for the off day tomorrow? I love the 4th of July except for the fireworks going off all night! My neighbor is such a ditz! He shoots them off for every occassion, and right over my house! I have heard the stuff falling on top of the house, and have complained to no avail. I said if he ever sets us on fire I will just have to do something BAD to him. Our neighborhood used to be so nice and quiet. The elderly lady that lived next to us died a few years ago and her house was sold twice since then. The last neighbor is a pain in the butt. He drinks heavily and just doesn't care what he does. Just had to rant a little this morning.

I have been busy in the kitchen this morning, getting ribs ready to grill tomorrow. I always parboil them for awhile in some vinegar water. That helps tenderize them, and they don't take as long to cook on the grill. We like our BBQ ribs in the South. LOL! I am trying to talk myself out of haviong them and just sticking with eating the side. UMMMMM.... dont know how that will work out. I've got seven racks in there! Everybody had better come hungry. LOL! I take care of the ribs and slaw, and they bring the other sides. sounds fair to me.

Now I need to get up and do some cleaning, not that it will do any good.

Lilion, thank you for thinking of me with the mud, but no thanks. We may have some of our own before long. It rained again last night. We need a lot of it.

I am outta here for now. Ta, Ruth
Old 07-03-2007, 08:38 AM   #12  

Hi ladies,

I am really running behind this morning. This is a super busy time at work and we may work a few hours tomorrow.

My back is feeling the impact of doing the dirt moving on Sunday afternoon. I'll take a couple of celebrex this morning. A good sign that I need to get back into my back strengthening exercises that I used to do daily. I need those in addition to all the physical work I do around the place. Sigh, its all about balance and that is so danged hard to achieve.

Got to run. Some fool scheduled 8:45 am meetings. I would be the fool. So I can't be late for my own meetings.

Old 07-03-2007, 08:01 PM   #13  

Just popping in for quick hi. I hope you all have a great Fourth.

My MIL had emergency surgery this weekend and has been in the hospital - the combination of being very ill and in the hospital has caused her dementia to worsen (she was just in the beginning stages and her meds were working) - so we've been running a lot to the hospital and trying to make sure kids still get where they need to go. The hospital is quite a ways a way because of insurance and all of that. It's a pain. Anyway, after a very scary weekend where we weren't sure she was going to make it - she now is doing well and will be going to a transitional facility this next weekend.

Tomorrow we are going to my Dad's for a few hours to see my family and then back to work on Thursday and hopefully back on plan. The minute there is something other people need I don't do what I need to do for me. Sigh - something to work on.
Old 07-04-2007, 07:44 AM   #14  

Smile 4th-July!

Happy 4th everyone, Not much time this morning, but I wanted to say a quick hello! Busy, busy this morning. I hope you all have a wonderful day....don't eat too much See you tomorrow. Ruth
Old 07-04-2007, 12:38 PM   #15  
Vortex

Hey all, hope everyone's having a great day.

It's nice to have friends who cook healthy. Yesterday some friends had a dinner party. I didn't know what was on the menu but I had no fear that it would be something I couldn't fit into my plan, and that was exactly true--well, almost. Richard grilled kebabs. Some were all veggies, others had chicken or beef, but even the meat ones were mostly beautiful veggies. There was also a very nice spinach salad and a pesto pasta salad, of which I had just a taste.

Today my creative writing group is meeting, and the hostess promised us food, but she's also a very healthy person (and a vegetarian too) so I'm not worried about what she'll serve.

If I can just STOP EATING WHEN UNDER STRESS. Yesterday would have been a great day except I was freaking out in the afternoon about my mother. I knew something sweet would make me feel better, I ate it, and it did. That's the big hurdle I still have to get over.

Anyway, hoping everyone's having a good day.
Closed Thread