Closed Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 05:08 AM   #76  
Learning to love myself.

Height: 5' 7"

Lesley - I can see a BIG difference in the two photos. I put them side by side on my screen to get a better look and you can really tell the difference then. Your features are MUCH more defined in your recent picture and your face has 'opened up' if that makes sense. You should be REALLY happy with that new pic!

Sharon - I'm glad you are still doing well with the weight loss. A couple of pounds is nothing to sneeze at, although I understand that you would like it to be more. Even though they say that you can lose more, I think that losing it more slowly is still the better way to go. You are giving your body time to adjust, which has to be a good thing. It is wonderful that your clothes keep getting too loose for you. It isn't cheap, but it is FUN!

Brenda - I'm glad you're feeling a little better. You are right about how sad it is to see overweight kids/teenagers and to KNOW how they are feeling and how hard it can be for them. I have to admit that I didn't get to be REALLY big until I was in my mid-twenties, but I was big enough as a teenager to not get dates and to not be able to wear 'cute' clothes etc. I see so many young people today and I just want to 'save' them, but I have no idea how to even begin. I suppose being a role model is the best I can do at the moment.

Annie - I am SO sorry that your visit with your MIL went so badly. It is awful when someone makes you feel so uncomfortable, but you don't know how to say something to them about it. These are the times when I am thankful that my in-laws are thousands of miles away. Actually they seem pretty nice people, but it certainly helps to avoid any uncomfortable moments with them. Perhaps you could consider moving over here to Australia. You would have FAR fewer visits from her then.
You are so right about the loose skin. I KNOW that I have enough loose skin to maybe account for 15 to 20lbs, but I just seem to forget that now and then and want to get down to the weight that the tables and charts say I should be. To be honest, if I actually GOT to those weights, I could look quite gaunt, which isn't what I want at all, but I still have to get my head around it all. We're working on that.

Sandy - I don't think I mentioned how THRILLED I was that you got such great recognition for Mother's Day. To see the sweet side of the SD must have been a pleasant surprise.
I wish you the VERY best for the procedure tomorrow and I hope to hear from you soon to find out that all went well.
It would be lovely if someone returned your phone safe and sound, but I don't suppose you are holding your breath for that to happen.

Kayley - Sorry to hear that Andrew is having such a hard time with that TWIT at work. I hope that something can be sorted out before he has to go back. It won't be any good if he just returns to the same situation without any intervention from the 'powers that be'. It is wonderful that you are actually looking forward to going to the gym. I hope you enjoy yourself.

Jenn - I'm glad you decided to give the boys a go at sport another time. It can be pretty traumatic for them the first few times I would imagine. I was watching some little ones practice soccer on our oval after school and I was wondering how hard it must be to kick a ball that almost comes up to your knees. These guys were TINY! I don't know how they don't get bowled over by the ball all the time.

Michelle - I hope that hubby checks out OK, or that they can at least get rid of any problems like they did the last one.
Good luck when you start looking for a house. The market over here is pretty eratic at times, but I am always amazed at how much the value of our home increases. I think "WOW, isn't that amazing. We could get a lot of money if we sold this house", but then I realise that it would cost a LOT more to buy something else, so it is all relative I suppose.

Catherine - I think it is VERY thoughtful of your hubby to look into those courses for you. I look forward to hearing from you when you have passed them all. I always think that I would love to do some course or other, but I REALLY don't like exams, so I have a feeling I would get to the end of the course, then drop out, so I would miss the exam. That would kinda defeat the purpose then I suppose, huh?

Donna - I'm glad that you aren't letting your Mother's Day treat get you down and that you are back on track. It is definitely not worth beating yourself up over, and I am glad you are taking it so well.
Funnily enough, I used to get chills, shakes, palpitations and the works when I had to speak in front of any group of adults. I am fine in front of my class, or other classes of kids, but adults used to scare the living daylights out of me. But for some strange reason I am SO looking forward to speaking at the conference. In fact, I was almost hoping that they would ask if anyone wanted to speak to the WHOLE group, not just smaller sub-groups. I amazed myself at that thought! Mind you, I am still not keen on microphones, so I'm hoping the groups I will be speaking to will be small enough for me to not need a microphone. I suppose I can just utilise my 'teacher' voice. That seems to carry quite a long way. I never thought that losing weight would make a difference to my fear of public speaking, but that is the only thing I can put this change of attitude down to.

Ammi - I think that Daren should be punished for being able to sit around playing on the computer all day and STILL not gain any weight. There definitely should be rules against that sort of thing. There truly is NO justice in the world sometimes. What IS it about the male constitution that makes this happen? Neil may put on a little weight when he is on holidays, but as soon as he goes back to work it just falls off him again. He doesn't have to TRY, it just goes away. If I gain weight, I have to especially concentrate on what I am doing to lose it again, and it definitely takes more that just a few DAYS!
You mentioned that the weight I'm at now is what you are aiming for. Well, I think that I SHOULD be happy to be this weight too, but I still have that dreaded BMI and the charts that just won't leave my head. I just wish I'd never set my eyes on them, because I think then I would be extremely happy with where I am at the moment. I am wondering whether I should make an appointment with a plastic surgeon to just find out how much weight he thought he would remove IF I had the surgery to remove the excess skin. I have NO intention of having the surgery, but I would be interested to have a better idea of how much weight I should be taking off for this extra skin. Oh well, I'm not sure I could just go into a surgeon for that reason, although I don't suppose they would know. I could just say I changed my mind later maybe.

Well, I know that I have missed people, but I have to go and start preparing my lunch and morning snack for tomorrow and get dinner together. I have another day of Professional Development tomorrow. This is my second day of working with my new interactive whiteboard. I'm not sure how many of you have seen these or worked with them, but they are a GREAT new toy. I keep amazing the kids with the new tricks I have learnt on it (mind you, it doesn't take a lot to amaze 8 year olds) and it has SO many ways to get the kids interacting with the activities. This type of PD is MY kind of thing, involving fun, stuff I can do in the classroom and computers. The travelling to and from the PD in peak hour traffic (up to an hour each way) is something I could do without, but it is definitely worth it.

I don't have any plans for the weekend, but I think I will try to take some time on Sunday to simply 'smell the roses', as they say. I want to relax and just enjoy life with hubby. We may go to a national park for a wander and to check out the koalas and other wildlife there. There is a beautiful lake that you can walk around, which sounds just up my alley at the moment. Now I just have to keep my fingers crossed that the weather will be fine.

Take care all,

Zelma
Old 05-17-2007, 06:31 AM   #77  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Lesley--I can definitely see the difference in your face! Seeing people you haven't seen for a while is a GREAT motivation when you're losing weight because they only see the "before and after," so to speak, while you see the changes so gradually that they don't seem as drastic.
I actually grew up in New England, and my parents still live there. They are on the Massachusetts border in CT, and they put their house on the market about 6 weeks ago to move closer to my sister in Va Beach. Compared to the DC housing market, I definitely would prefer to be looking at homes in New England I would move to Fredericksburg or Stafford in a heartbeat if it didn't mean a 2-hour commute to/from work each day--definitely more affordable homes down there. But, because of our jobs, we're sort of stuck where we are. At least we're thankful to have jobs we both like, which is why we're not willing to change jobs right now to move Jeff would like to move to Georgia (he has a bit of family down there, and we visit each summer), but I know I'd never be able to stand the HEAT nor the bugs and snakes and such. Plus, while housing is much more affordable, I currently make my living writing federal government proposals, and no better place to have a federal government related job than in the DC area!

Zelma--I have a friend who is a kindergarten teacher here, and she has an interactive white board in her classroom for the first time this year as well. I guess you have to use certain markers to write on them, and writing on them with anything else can permanenetly mark/damage them. She was so used to using a regular white board or just a big pad of paper tht she kept almost using the wrong markers, but the kids would always yell at her before she wrote anything. Those little ones are quite perceptive and have super memories for things that allow them to correct adults

Sharon--who CARES about the stupid scale if your pants are falling down! I'd rather stay 300 pounds and have the scale never move again if it meant I were losing inches as quickly as you

Melissa--glad you popped in; haven't seen you here as much lately. And definitely glad to see you're doing well. I'll take better fitting clothes as an indicator of success over the evil scale any day!

Xena--WOOHOO, under 300!

Scarlett--hmm, I don't see a little "pushing" smiley, so how about GET TO THE GYM! Does that help?

Brenda--ugh, I missed American Idol last night. I don't usually watch the reults shows because I don't care to watch 55 minutes of filler for a 30-second announcement of who got the boot when I can just as easily just check online the next morning on my own schedule but I would have liked to have seen Elliott!

Sandy--I'm sorry about your phone--thank goodness you got it turned off so you won't be charged. I find it absolutely amazing that these things that weren't even a part of our lives 5-10 years ago are now absolute necessities. I mean, when I was in high school, almost NO ONE had cell phones, but then at work yesterday, one of the managers was worried because he tried to call his middle school daughter on her cell phone, and she didn't answer. I'm only 24, and it makes me feel old to say it, but it's crazy how quickly the world changes!

Annie--sorry about your MIL issues But being so close to a bigger weight loss goal is certainly something positive to focus on!

Catherine, Ammi, Kayley, Lilion, mechell, Story, LAnne, Cris, Niffer, Torister, Patti, Shadie, Vicki, Donna, and all lurkers, here's a bit of to get everyone through the day and on to a happy weekend!

Things for me got really weird yesterday. I did well food-wise on Monday, but then I hit up fast food Tuesday and Wednesday The really weird part about yesterday is that I did fine during the day until I left work. That's my hardest time of the day--of all things, the car ride home is killer. I specifically got on the highway to go home (to get fast food, I can't take the highway). I should have felt so happy, so proud that I was avoiing my demon, that I was choosing to be healthy rather than eat that crap for just a few brief minutes of satisfaction. I thought about all of that, and about how I should have felt STRONG to have made such a conscious decision. But above everything, all I kept thinking was that it wasn't fair. It wasn't fair that I could have what I wanted. And I wanted cheeseburgers. I should have been happy that I chose a happier, longer, healthier, thinner life over some cheeseburgers, but I was MISERABLE and angry and frustrated. So I got off the highway and got the cheeseburgers. I'm not sure how I feel today
Old 05-17-2007, 07:12 AM   #78  
sandybar

S/C/G: 350/289/150

Height: 5' 1"

Ammi, You're not the only one who adds sweetner to the instant hot chocolate. I do too. LoL Thank you so much for your lovely email. It means a lot to me.

Annie, Pooie on your MIL. I t hink you're a wonderful person,
You're kind, honest and caring. That's an amazing combination. Just always remember we at 3FC care about you very, very much and personally, I am always encouraged by uour posts. Big to you. Thanks for the tip regarding your surgery. It is one of the things I have been worried about the most cuz I already have problems in that areal. The dr put me on a high fiber diet. 35 grams of fiber a day with at least 40 oz of water. it's hard to get that high, but I'm trying and it does make a huge difference.. I'd like to do the no refined carb thing, and I think my cereal (fiber one) and breqd,(ezekiel bread) don't count as refined carbs. But I still get those silly sweet cravings. But I think I'll have Andy pick up some prunes anyway. I love prunes. They're so sweet. (Told ya I had a sweet tooth)

Lesley, I hear ya about the reverse anorexia thing. At least from my mirror at home I don't look as big as I am. So when I see a photo, it's most discouraging.

Sharon, bug hugs back to ya!

Zelma, yes, I was quite taken aback from all the attention on Mother's Day. It meant a lot to me. I got the sweetest card from my 2nd son yesterday. It made me cry. When he was a teenager and lived with his dad, he wouldn't talk to me for 3 years, vandalized my home and car. I never understood why he was so mad at ME. In the card he wrote that I was a good and kind mom. It just made me bawl.

Jill, I'm so sorry about the fast food. I truly believe it is addictive. You'll be more successful today.

Sorry for no more personals but I gotta hit the road in a few minutes. We had an extra cell phone laying around so Andy stopped by Cingular, got a new sim card, came home, called Cingular and got it turned on. It doesn't have any of my numbers in it, But at least I can call the ones that I remember their numbers. Then when friends call me, I can program their numbers in it.
I want to thank all of you for your well wishes. It feels good to have such caring support from all of you.
I hope you all have op days and exercise as much as you have set goals for.Til next time. big
Ammi, You're not the only one who adds sweetner to the instant hot chocolate. I do too. LoL Thank you so much for your lovely email. It means a lot to me.

Zelma, yes, I was quite taken aback from all the attention on Mother's Day. It meant a lot to me. I got the sweetest card from my 2nd son yesterday. It made me cry. When he was a teenager and lived with his dad, he wouldn't talk to me for 3 years, vandalized my home and car. I never understood why he was so mad at ME. In the card he wrote that I was a good and kind mom. It just made me bawl.

Jill, I'm so sorry about the fast food. I truly believe it is addictive. You'll be more successful today.

Sorry for no more personals but I gotta hit the road in a few minutes. We had an extra cell phone laying around so Andy stopped by Cingular, got a new sim card, came home, called Cingular and got it turned on. It doesn't have any of my numbers in it, But at least I can call the ones that I remember their numbers. Then when friends call me, I can program their numbers in it.
I want to thank all of you for your well wishes. It feels good to have such caring support from all of you.
I hope you all have op days and exercise as much as you have set goals for.Til next time. big

ps, I don't have time to change my ticker, but I'm down 3 more pounds. HOORAY!!!

Last edited by Heather; 05-18-2007 at 12:11 AM.
Old 05-17-2007, 08:34 AM   #79  
Learning to love myself.

Height: 5' 7"

I have had an amazing revelation over the last couple of days relating to work. I’m sure a few of you have had moments in your lives when you wonder whether you are truly suited to your chosen line of work. A few months ago I had grave doubts that I was actually meant to be a teacher and I felt as though I was doing more damage to my students than good. I was snappy, negative, tired, grumpy and generally not interested in the goings on of regular school life. I knew that I had a wonderful group of students and I started to feel as though they would be better off with another teacher. Well, now I know that this was all part of the start of the downward spiral into depression, and I am SO glad that I sought help before I decided to do something drastic like leave the profession, or do something silly so that I was fired!

Anyway... getting back to the original point. I have never considered myself a fantastic teacher. I know that I could do more in the way of delving into the academic needs of each and every individual student in my class. This is very time consuming, but I know some teachers are very good at it. I am sure I could be much better in the area of paperwork concerning planning and records. So, in these ways, I had started to see myself as not being a ‘good’ teacher, but I have to come to realise that I may not be a GREAT teacher, but I am certainly a GOOD teacher and I am perhaps ‘great’ in particular areas. One of those areas is that I make the children feel good about themselves (when I am ‘normal’) and I make the children enjoy coming to school, and I can usually make the children enjoy learning.

This point was made more clear to me over the last couple of days. Yesterday I had a little boy (8 years old) who was simply having a REALLY bad day. He got into an altercation of some kind at lunch break and it just escalated from there. It ended with the principal and one of the deputies having to physically restrain him and keep him in the office for a while. This little boy has a few problems at home, as his parents have separated and he doesn’t see as much of his dad as he would like, so he makes up stories about things he does with Dad. He has anger management issues and Mum is working with other professionals to deal with this. One thing I have found over the last year and a half (I had him in Grade 2 as well) is that he responds to affection. So yesterday, even though he even became quite angry with me (actually, by that time he was furious) I still tried to talk to him calmly and let him know that I still cared. At the time this didn’t work, as he was too lost in his emotions for it to sink in I think. I had the afternoon out of the classroom for planning, but I went in for a while to talk with the class about how they handled this situation at lunch time and how they could have handled it differently and had a very different outcome. I think that this sank in with most of them. I was in the staffroom later when the teacher who was taking my class came in with this boy. She said that he didn’t want to do any work and she thought that maybe he just wanted to spend some time with me. So I just sat with this little boy and chatted with him and we looked at pictures on the computer and laughed. I told him that he couldn’t stay with me until the end of the day because I had an appointment to go to and he told me “I’m coming with you”. I thought that was really sweet, but I convinced him that he couldn’t do that. We went back to class and I told him he had to draw me a lovely picture or I would have to give him a HUGE hug tomorrow. He loves it when I mess around with him like that.

Well, this morning he turned up and all day he tried to get close to me so that I could try to ‘sneak’ a hug, but then he would dash away. After a while he didn’t move away, so I was able to give him a hug (arm around his shoulders). He told me then that I had to try to get FIVE more though. Obviously one hug just wasn’t enough for him. So, this continued throughout the day, until it was getting close to home time and he came up to my desk, pretending to look at what I was doing. I can’t even remember how it happened, but there were other kids around and he just gave me a really big hug and while he was close to me he said “I want to stay here”. It was then that I felt like crying, because I just KNEW that I was in the exact place that I should be. I was somewhere I could make a difference. I was there for this little boy when he felt as though the whole world was working against him. I was able to give him the chance to see that life could be good again.

I know that I am maybe placing too much emphasis on my role in this situation, but that is how I felt at the time and it just made me feel wonderful. I needed that moment to see that I could be that caring, considerate, loving and concerned teacher that I used to be.

Thank you to those who have taken the time to read all of the way through this. These were really just the random ramblings of a teacher who is on a high at the moment as I remember the look on this boy’s face and his words that showed that he enjoyed being around me.

Take care,

Zelma
Old 05-17-2007, 09:17 AM   #80  

S/C/G: 380/Ticker/180

Height: 5'7"

Good Morning Ladies!

Sandy: Best of luck on your surgery...I hope you sail through with flying colors!

Jilly: Thanks for the PM . My biggest problem was and still is
I know on WW it is allowed, and I do make a point of still having the ...but I steer clear of the because I was really "addicted" to the stuff and I think even my kids were too!. The really don't even ask for it too much anymore. Although now they like more expensive restaurants!! . I have just read an interesting and disturbing book called "Chew on This" by the author of "Fast Food Nation" and it tells about what chemicals and stratigies food companies and even advertizing companies use to make us addicted. Really sick and scarey.

Lesley: I am so with you on the reverse anorexia!!! I really don't "see" myself unless it's a picture. I have always been like that. You can definately see a difference in your pics. I showed my kids my driver's liscence pic the other day and the were saying that am I sure I didn't lose more than 24 lbs! That made me

Scarlett: to the best place for help, love, and friendship!

Xena:
For making it to TWOTOWN!!!!

Annie: I am sorry your MIL is not as loving as you are. And good for you for behaving and ignoring the nastiness! Kill em with kindness, I always say!
(Whenever someone gives me the "bird" driving, I always blow them a kiss...makes them nutz!)
Your therapy group sounds supportive, and once a problem is "out there" and you realize you are not alone, it can really help. And you still lost 3lbs after all that stress!!! Maybe stress can be a good thing once in a while!!

Zelma: As I am trying to finish this post,(it usually takes about 45 mins for me to "approve" of what I write before I hit "save") I came across your latest entry and OMG, it made me cry!!! That poor little boy. I work in a Middle School as the front desk "Greeter" which is really a receptionist, and I see the "bad" kids all the time because I am in front of the Main Office, and you can really tell which ones just need that hug...even at 12 or 13. It definately sounds like you have gotten the confimation you needed!!

As for me...TOM has finally come, only 3 1/2 weeks late! So I am still in the up and down 1lb battle, and I think I will wait until next Thursday to post my WI. If there isn't a loss with the exercising I am doing now, I am not going to be happy. How can I hit a plateau after only 24lbs ??? Because of the hormones?? Frustration abounds!

Have a Great OP Day!
Old 05-17-2007, 09:51 AM   #81  

Morning Ladies!

Pretty quick this morning, but a few little replies…

Lesley – You have reverse anorexia too? I thought it was just me! Honestly, I've NEVER seen myself as fat until I'd catch a photo of myself and be just appalled. (Of course, you know that the camera adds 150 lbs, don't you? ) That also explains why I have very few "before" photos! Your own photos are very good! There is a difference, don't you worry. I do think I may have a bit of a bug. My DH stayed home from work yesterday, slept from 11 a.m. until 6:30 p.m. then went to bed with me at 10:30 and slept until about 3 a.m. and is planning on going back to bed any time now…seems rather unfair, I couldn't even get a nap when I went home sick.

Catherine – I don't have to live next to one, but on my way to work I walk past two coffee shops (with muffins etc) and a full-service bakery every morning. At night I walk the same way, but the steak house and Greek/pizza place is open then! I was just thinking this morning I need to find another way to walk! As for the Mexican, I usually get the seafood fajitas and they never seem to do any damage…but I went for the steak burrito last time, and knew darn well what I was doing.

Sharon – thank you and on those inches! In some ways that's better than the scale I think.

Jilly – Living in the Midwest is really good housing-wise. I watch those HGTV shows and am always appalled at the cost of housing on both coasts! I have to wonder if they pay that much more there? I couldn't even afford an apartment on my State attorney salary in New York or L.A. Just out of curiosity, what does someone working in like a store or something make there? Here it is about $7.00 an hour, minimum wage is $6.50.

Zelma – Your story about that little boy left me teary! My own DS has had a rough time in school and I'm sure part of it has been from home. I love him tons as does my DH, who adopted him when he was 8, but his natural father died when he was 9 and it's been rough. I wish he'd had a teacher like you!

Sandy - Good luck dear and get better soon!

Well, out of time, but I wanted to leave you all with a funny a friend emailed me!

Old 05-17-2007, 10:51 AM   #82  

S/C/G: 412/TICKER/175

Height: 5'5

No time for a big post this morning. We have LOTS to do, and not much time to do it in! Andrew & I have to run to the college, so he can pick up his books...he finally is starting school on Monday!!! I'm VERY proud of him. Then, we have to go over to the car dealership, so I can test drive the car I love, make sure I LOVE how it drives, and then it'll be MINE tomorrow!!!! YES! We also have to run to the Sprint store, so I can exchange the car charger for my cell phone, since the one they gave me doesn't WORK. Then back here for dinner, and the gym. Whew. Workout in itself! Hope you all have a wonderful & OP day today!!! I'll try and pop on later with some personals!
Old 05-17-2007, 10:51 AM   #83  

S/C/G: 510/see tracker/160

Height: 5' 9 1/2"

Brenda: I am with you about the kids who are Obese. It is so sad how cruel people are. I'm glad there is a place they get to go where they feel "normal". Glad you are feeling better.

Scarlett: Hope today is a much, much better day for you.

Catherine: Thanks a bunch for the verses. I will read them this morning with my regular reading. I do know the by heart except the Proverbs one. Thank you for reminding me! Hugs.

Xena: Wahoo -3 and in the 2's. You go girl. Congrats. How awesome!

Missy: Hope you have op day today and the rest of the week.Sorry you are struggling.

Lesley: Whoop, whoop on fitting into the outfit better and your SIL's comments. You are so beautiful. Thank you for posting the pictures. You definately do look different!

Sharon: Hey, you are probably building some muscle so, take those falling down pants as a wonderful thing. Hugs.

Zelma: You are so sweet. I loved how you were shown first hand how important you are to the children you teach and what a GREAT teacher you are! Hugs.

Jilly: Sorry you have been struggling. Maybe you could keep some healthy snacks at the ready in your car like some beef jerky or rice cakes. Just a thought. Good luck hun. Hugs.

Sandy: Hugs and I'm praying for your surgery to go excellent and for you to heal quickly.

Donna: I bet your WI will be fine.

LIlion: Hi girl. Hugs to you.

Well, It is not quite 8 a.m. and I have done all my weight lifting for the day. On to sit ups and bike before I go swim. I hope everyone has a wonderful op day filled with joy, peace and love.
Blessings all,
Annie
Old 05-17-2007, 10:52 AM   #84  

S/C/G: 510/see tracker/160

Height: 5' 9 1/2"

Kayley: have fun today and I'm proud of Andrew too. Hugs.

Annie
Old 05-17-2007, 01:10 PM   #85  
Trying Intuitive Eating

S/C/G: 430/ticker/138

Height: 5'5.5

Lesley, you can absolutely see a significant difference in your pics. Way to go!

Annie, I'm sorry you had such a rough time with your family. And I understand why you feel disappointed with your reaction with the food. But to me you were just meeting your own emotional needs at the time, and you absolutely deserve to have your needs met, as we all do. We're all trying to learn new ways to deal with things other than food, and we should be gentle with ourselves in the process. Hugs to you.

Zelma, I really enjoyed your post. As a teacher you have the power to effect changes and leave impressions that will stay with those little people throughout their whole lives. My mother was a high school English teacher for 35 years, and I literally could not count the hundreds of times I've had people tell me that she was their favourite teacher, or that they chose their own teaching career because of her, or that they had hated English until they took her class, or that she had helped them through some deep personal crisis. I have a very unusual last name and perfect strangers will hear it, or read in on a credit card I present them for payment and approach me asking if 'my mother is a teacher' so they can recount their stories. It's lovely to read about you taking such joy and pride in what is both a great privilege and a great responsibility.
Old 05-17-2007, 03:12 PM   #86  

Annie, How on earth did I miss the post of yours talking about your visit with your MIL? I'm so sorry it was rough on you. It sounds like you have a really good thing going with the Optifast program. I like that they have group therapy meetings. For some of us, understanding WHY we overeat is indeed half the battle. I hope that getting it all out in the open will help heal! And a big to you! - You are doing SO WELL!
Old 05-17-2007, 04:03 PM   #87  
aka Valerie

S/C/G: 350/345/195

OMG! JILLY – I love the country and being in the middle of nowhere, but ticks, spiders, ANYTHING with more than 4 legs gives me the absolute heebie-jeebies! I lived BRIEFLY in an area where there were tons of ticks, and I kid you not, I took like 5 showers a day. I ADORED the dog I had, but he was spending the night on the back porch instead of on my bed while I lived there. It was a nightmare! I think my skin is crawling just thinking of all that stuff.

STORY! Welcome, welcome, welcome! And a huge congrats on taking back your life and breaking that big 00! I hope you’re feeling great and enjoying a new lifestyle on your way to your next goal!

BLOOMER, Glad you’re here! I love it here because everyone realizes that this is an ongoing thing. We don’t just lose the weight and BINGO! Everything’s fine forever. It’s a long term commitment to better health that draws many of here – and keeps us coming back even when we have slips, backslides or life just gets too busy. When I can’t find my commitment, these folks help me track it down and keep my focus. I hope you love it here and we’re as much help and support for you and they’ve all been for me. I understand exactly about usually just letting it all go, but trying now even with stress. I have events until after Memorial Day that are making it hard to get started, but yesterday was the start of my 47th year, and I want to be SO much better off by my 48th that I want to do what I can TODAY. All past and future failures aside, I’m STILL going to seek success today! …and don’t worry if you can’t keep up with every detail and every individual. It’s not realistic, but keeping up with the spirit of understanding and encouragement here – that’s the important thing I think.

LESLEY – BRILLIANT job on knocking down that 4.8!
PEGGY – I hope you’re feeling perkier and they get the meds right.
ZELMA – It’s great to hear you’re so busy doing what you love and closer to back to your old self! * As for the lizards and snakes, I have no problem with those – they even sounds interesting – THEY don’t have too many legs!
VICKI – I hope you find a new place soon and that right around the corner is someone better for you who appreciates you the way you deserve. Hang in there!
AMMI – LOVE the new little avatar! Oh, and feel free to scowl at Daren for all of us – eating, gaming and not even gaining – the NERVE!
Oooo, MICHELLE – House shopping has to be fun. I’ve done very little of that, but when I win the lottery….
BRANDNEWME- I sure hope you can beat all those ‘bugs’ and feel better soon!
SHADIE – GREAT job on the 10 pound loss! Congrats!
CATHERINE – Awesome that you have a “Finish” in your sights. I haven’t been much of a finisher either, and I can only imagine the satisfaction you’ll have when you’ve accomplished that degree!
KAYLEY – I hope Andrew feels better and you both enjoy plenty of gym time together!
SCARLET – Welcome! I hope WW works well for you. I think having someone to go with is great.
BRENDA – Heavens, you poor thing, you sound really miserable! I hope by the time you read this that you’re feeling MUCH better!!
ANNIE – Wow, what revelations! You are SO special and deserve so much love, I hope you’re seeing it and feeling it more each day. You ARE going to break that 460 mark, and very soon, too. Many hugs my dear friend!

All my other heroes and heroic ladies, my internet is locking up so I’ll just finish this in Word and post it when I can.

Well, yesterday was cake, candles and wrinkles day. I didn’t even think of it until my boss said something when I got to work. I had resolved to get on track food-wise, and had even cooked up some chicken to take to work for lunch. A co-worker came in the afternoon trying to ply me with cake from someone else’s going away party – but I hung tough. You’d have been so proud of me, marble cake, custard filling, but still I said no, thank you. I swear, he wasn’t 15 SECONDs out of my office when my boss and others from my department came parading in with a whole cake for ME. Well, ya just can’t turn down your own age-cake, can you? That blew it of course, and they sent the leftover half a cake home with me. I snarfed a good portion of it, but when I woke up at 4 this morning to let the dogs out, I carried what remained of the cake out to the garbage can.

It’s gone. I miss it, long for it even. But it’s gone, and today is the first day of my 47th year. More than I crave cake, I crave better health… right? I do, don’t I?? Of all the evils – money, power, sex – I think cake is the most evil. Sigh. I used to love cake… but it’s cheated on me, lied to me, and left me for another hinny (preferably my SD’s – ha!) so the affair with cake is, um, help me say it…. OVER!

Chicken. I’m in love with chicken and broccoli now. Right?

Oh, and I love my new little blue shoes that I bought last night! I think I’m going to work on developing a thing for shoes. It won’t take much. I believe I could become a genuine collector of shoes, especially since (get this) my husband actually seems HAPPY that I’m developing a thing for shoes. It’s just that they’ll never taste quite like cake. Ah, evil cake. …Can anyone tell I’m going thru the first stages of sugar withdrawal?

Think Shoes. Think shoes. Think chicken and shoes…..
Old 05-17-2007, 04:15 PM   #88  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

I just had to come pop in and say hello during work since I don’t seem to find other time. I get home at night (late) and there are things to do – I don’t know where my time is going these days.

I am hanging in there, but still having a rough time. My eating is on again off again, as is going to the gym. I won’t be able to make it tonight because I have too much work to do. I am heading to my parents’ for 5 days starting tomorrow afternoon. It will be great to see them and especially my brother who I haven’t seen since February of last year. I will have a laptop, but my parents are moving into a new place and I don’t know if the internet will be hooked up yet or not.

Hopefully once I am back from my trip I can get back to posting regularly again. I really miss this place and I need to seriously recommit to losing weight. I don’t want to undo all the work I have done, and oh boy does it take a lot less time and effort to go up the scale then down it.
Old 05-17-2007, 04:45 PM   #89  

Talking

Valerie!

We should have known!!!

A very Happy Belated Birthday to you!!!

And GOOD FOR YOU - throwing out the EVIL cake! Just keep thinking

HUGS!
Old 05-17-2007, 05:53 PM   #90  
742,000 calories burned

S/C/G: 592/380/175

Height: 5'9"

Xena-Way to blow through that barrier. Those things seem to be giving us all a bunch of grief, so I’m glad to see someone sail for a change.

Melissa-Just remember that even is the scale doesn’t show at first, your body is already changing, and your insides are already healthier.

Leslie-I don’t miss the storms. The work Tampa is actually a native word for fire sticks. It is supposed to get more lightening there than anywhere in the world. The storms used to knock out the radar at Tampa airport, and they’d land planes using the radar at Sarasota. That seems wrong to me somehow, but they said it was cheaper than upgrading the radar in Tampa. I once made the mistake of using an outside payphone during a down pour. I woke up on my back in a puddle. Never did that again. As for boric acid, it’s not supposed to be harmful to pets. My bassets would drag their ears through it, and never have a problem. The hardest part of miscarriages is telling people who were so excited for you. I’d never really thought about having children. No clocks going off or anything. We weren’t doing temperatures or tracking or drugs or anything, so at 43-45 years old, we were freaking the doctor out. He said if I got pregnant again that he was going to put us in a medical journal. Lord, if I had married at 20, I would have 10 by now. My mom had me at 40, and had 8 miscarriages after that. My grandmother had her last at 45, and my greatgrandmother had her 12th at the age of 48. We aren’t trying, but you know us Catholics, we will take whatever comes or doesn’t.

Sharon-It sounds like your body is going through a serious reshaping. At least if you are losing inches, there is something for people to notice and compliment you on.

Zelma-I actually like taking exams. I guess that makes me really weird. I also enjoy paperwork. He also applied for a scholarship thing for me here, for next spring so that I can start masters classes at the university here. I’ve already got a doctorate, so I don’t really need more education, but I’ve had this head injury, and keeping my mind active will help prevent me from the dementia that is common with head injury survivors.

Jill-I once did a protest march in DC during a 125 degree heat index alert. Georgia doesn’t get that much hotter. Besides everyone goes from an air conditioned house to air conditioned car to air conditioned office. I lived in Florida with a car without air conditioning. Now that is hot. I often feel that it is very unfair that we can’t eat what we want to. My cousins can eat anything and not gain weight. The problem with that is that they also shouldn’t be eating the cheese burgers. My insides will be healthier, and I’ll live longer, but that 6 year old inside of me wants to stomp her foot and get her way. I let her have a 90 calorie gourmet lollipop today, and that kept her quiet.

Donna-I had a plateau that lasted 18 months once. Nothing would break it. How I kept from going insane I’ll never know. You are probably just putting on some muscle, and your body is adjusting. Eventually it will give.

Valerie-Happy birthday. I’ve had a lot of different foods lie to me over the years too.

I am sitting here in my robe vegetating. I did lawn work, came in the door, striped, and went right in the shower. Now if I break out again, I will be permanently off law work.
Closed Thread