Closed Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 09:55 PM   #121  
742,000 calories burned

S/C/G: 592/380/175

Height: 5'9"

Annie-I'm so sorry you had to go to the hospital. When I had my angina attack at my heaviest, I was so scared. I was lying there in the ER wondering if I was going to die, and they put the nitro under my tongue, and it didn't help, and I'd seen enough hospital shows on TV to know that wasn't good. I'm so glad that you are going to be okay. I was worried about your electrolytes. That's the main problem people have with optifast. You're right about it being time to lose the weight or else. I've been there, and know how you're feeling. You're feeling bad that you allowed yourself to get this way. You feel like you have destroyed your body, and it's giving out on you. When I was in the hospital, the cardiologist they called in told me that he couldn't help me because my character was too flawed to help, and that he was going to send me home to die. I plan to send him the first copy of my book. Hang in there, and stay healthy. We can't afford to lose you.
Old 05-04-2007, 11:08 PM   #122  
Not Giving Up!

S/C/G: 351/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Good Evening, Ladies!

Hurray, the weekend is here! Hubby got home safe and sound yesterday and actually took today off, so we got to spend it together. Although we spent much of it running errands to transfer our licenses, etc. over to the new county we recently moved into. Lots of government office visits but thankfully we weren't charged any fees. He had a great time, gambled a bit of money away although thankfully not too much, took a lot of photos and now I want to go there, too! Oh yeah, and he bought Guitar Hero right before he left (since we can't find a Wii for the life of us) and so all I've been hearing this evening is awful 80s metal - I guess you don't get the decent songs til you move up a few levels!

We are planning to go to a couple animal shelters tomorrow to look for a dog. I always overanalyze everything, I'm neurotic that way, so I posted a thread asking for advice about bringing a dog home, especially since it will be our first dog. If anyone has any advice, please offer it up!

Vilandra, 15lbs in two weeks! That's awesome! I wouldn't worry too much about the scale - regardless if the number changes on a new scale, you still lost the same amount of weight.

Kayley, hurray for classes being over! And double hurray for a click moment!

Jill, I've been wanting Phil to go since the get-go, although I will admit missing poking fun at Powder, as I liked to call him. I hope your insomnia is short-lived - any changes lately that would disrupt your sleep? You've made some great food choices in lieu of the binge foods - you haven't been avoiding the urges, you've been controlling them and dealing with them appropriately - good for you! And hurray for another 2lbs gone!

Michelle, OMG food poisoning! I've never had it but DH has - the only good thing is that it's a short-lived misery. Glad you're feeling better - bet you won't be eating at that Applebee's again anytime soon!

Ammi, sounds like your body, or your brain, needed some rest this week. I think it's important to listen to our bodies, so I'm glad you took a break and just laid low. But it's good to get out again, too! Regarding loose skin surgery, in the UK will your insurance cover it or will you have to pay out of pocket? I cringe to think how much money hubby and I would spend on that if/when the time/need comes. And OMG, you're a fan of Most Haunted, too? LOVE that show. Oh, I hate how clothes sizes vary so much, and I think those 'regular' stores make their clothes smaller on purpose just to make us feel more inadequate when we have to go into larger sizes. It makes me and - your reaction is one I think we'd all have and is perfectly understandable. Remember, this is a marathon, not a sprint.

LAnne, I continue to be amazed at your weight loss and the lifestyle changes you've made, all with such a great attitude.

Jenn, welcome back! An eight week old - you must be busy, and exhausted! Congrats on seeing those numbers go down.

Lilion, I hope you've nipped the out-of-control eating in the bud and are back on plan. You've come so far, you can definitely do this!

Catherine, this is a dumb question, but what if you don't look like a pear or an apple? My weight is pretty evenly distributed throughout my body, no particular area is more fat than another. Is that apple? I hope you didn't think I was calling your husband a mama's boy - I just meant I've known other men who were. It sounds like he's handling it as well as he can considering. Your SIL sounds like quite a pistol, I guess the apple doesn't fall far from the tree in that case, huh? OMG, donairs! I loooooove them, but haven't had one since leaving Halifax. I can just imagine the caloric and fat content. I'm glad to hear you're feeling better but still taking things slow and not overdoing it.

Metachick, I hope you have a lovely weekend!

Sharon, congrats on the additional 4 lbs gone for good! I hope that gives you more incentive to stay OP! My job hunt is still going on, but nothing as of yet ... if it wasn't for the lack of money I wouldn't mind not working, lol.

Lavandel, that's awesome that your clothes are loose, kind of a mixed blessing though - although not one I'd turn down by any means! Do you have any thrift shops in your area where you could get some interim clothes without spending much money? And congrats on the weight loss - whether it's 4 or 8, both numbers are great! (hey, that rhymed)

Emily
, for passing your exam. You rock!

Brenda, hurray for being down another 3lbs!

Peggy, it can be scary to face a milestone, even when it's one we desperately want. But good for you for taking back control and getting OP. And vent away, that's what we're here for.

Annie, hubby and I had a lovely reunion. We've been trying for ages to get with no luck and so I've started getting some tests done to find out if anything's wrong. I found out today I have to go for what sounds like a very unfun test in 10 days and the nurse said absolutely no hanky-panky between now and then. So I'm glad hubby came home when he did! Goodness, but it sounds like you've had quite a time of it these last couple days. I'm so glad to hear it wasn't anything drastically wrong although I imagine it was quite scary for you. You be sure to take care of yourself, girlie, you're too important to go missing from here for any length of time! Glad to hear you're staying OP and keeping in high spirits though - I'm very proud of you!

OK my chickies, I'm off to read a bit before bed. Have a wonderful weekend and I'll keep you posted on the doggie situation!
Old 05-05-2007, 05:21 AM   #123  

S/C/G: 300+/275/150

Height: 5'8"

Annie, XXXXXXBIG HUGSXXXXX I'm so glad it seems you're ok-ish now!xxx
Going for a sudden visit to my parents on the coast, we finally decided YESTERDAY to go TODAY!!!! lol My mum was pleased, even though we're going again in 3 weeks. It's a Bank Holiday on Monday, MAY DAY so we get a long week-end by the sea. Steve has been ordered( BY ME!!!!), to stop me eating or having more than two/three vodka & diet cokes, I HAVE to lose this weight!
Have a GREAT week-end everyone, I'll catch up Monday pm.xxxxxxx
xxxxsharon
Litchick, good luck dog hunting, though I don't envy you, I'd want to take them ALL home !!!! A tip; think about how much room you have at home, whether you will be able to take long, frequent walks or quick ones, the size of your garden and the LENGTH of the dog's coat, it means lots of hairs/grooming/bathing etc if you get a cute long haired one! I know as we had a Springer Spaniel, though gorgeous we had dog hairs EVERYWHERE!!!!!My mum is an OBSESIVE CLEANER but it made no difference we still found hairs all over everything! lol. Temperament is important, especially if you're hoping for kids, it might be worthwhile getting some books on breeds you like to check how they are with people, kids, training etc. I have heard that it's best to introduce a dog into a house AFTER kids BUT we got ours BEFORE we had our youngest two & he ADORES them! Though my parents have him now as he was depressed coz he didn't get the love & attention he was used to before we got two babies. He is a Staffordshire Bull terrier, we rescued him from some druggies, they 'needed' the money, for 'something'! Have fun!
Old 05-05-2007, 08:04 AM   #124  
EmilyMay is on her way!

S/C/G: 314/294/168

Height: 5'7"

Zelma - just a quickie to say thanks for your thoughts, I am going to mull that one over and see if I can cross - fertilise some thought processes as u are right, i take 'passing' very seriously and in fact have not failed anything that I can remember and yet my weight and controlling it are the things which trouble me...My weight has been stationary for about 2 years now, and I am no longer in constant danger of gaining, and feel very happy and content after many difficult years of ill health and single parent hood and being very alone, yet now I really do want to get my weight coming downwards and enjoy the freedoms that will give me....

Thanks again for your thoughts and hope u are doing better recently with how u are feeling xx
Old 05-05-2007, 10:07 AM   #125  
742,000 calories burned

Lavandel-I’m trying to visualize myself in large droopy flowered pants. The way I act most of the time, if I showed up like that, they’d seriously haul me away.

Ammi-God forbid that every store and clothing company actually made clothes on the same size, the same size. Can you imagine not having to try anything on because a 20 was a 20 was a 20? It’s like the fancy stores have lowered themselves to stock “those” clothes, but want to let you know how huge they are by inflating the sizes.

Kayley-I understand about not wanting to get your hopes up. I will work so hard, and get so excited about hopping on the scale, and then see a gain, and get so upset, I could put my hand through the wall. My husband says that I may just be gaining muscle right now.

Peggy-If I beat myself up everytime I took a little break, or ate something I shouldn’t have, I’d have to go to an abuse shelter to get away from myself. Just try to minimize the damage, and maximize the benefit.

Annie-Remember that IV’s can sometimes really raise you fluid level, so if you don’t have a big loss this week, it could be the cause.

Lesley-I’d say you have a little of both visceral and subcutaneous. If you can feel the fat, and it is just under the skin, that is subcutaneous. If you can feel the muscle, then the fat is under the muscle and visceral. I know you weren’t calling him a momma’s boy. He is afraid of his own shadow, but not because of her. I may have overdone it a bit with the walking yesterday. I just keep thinking if I work harder, that I have to lose weight eventually.
Old 05-05-2007, 01:11 PM   #126  

S/C/G: 325/325/150

Height: 5'9

Hi everyone! I'm Sara. I haven't been here in a while. I was a newbie back in January. I'm still a newbie, I haven't really done anything since then. I'm watching a Biggest Loser marathon on the style network and it's so inspiring. I want to be healthy!!

Anyhow, I'm around. I'm thinking about it. Thoughts? Advice? Encouragement?
Old 05-05-2007, 01:39 PM   #127  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

HI everyone -- Just a quick pop-in. I'm actually trying to get some work done today and will chain myself to my desk... but I don't want you all thinking your moderator up and left you! I'm definitely still here!

Sara -- Welcome! I don't have any advice for you, other than, this CAN be done! Stick around, post, ask questions, get inspired! Don't be afraid to start with baby steps if you need to.
Old 05-05-2007, 01:52 PM   #128  
Because I deserve it!

S/C/G: 315.4/311/165

Height: 5'11"

Hi everyone. I am trying to catch up on the messages. to all the losses I have seen posted since I was last here. And to all that are struggling.

I am doing pretty OK. I almost got derailed yesterday when I stopped at Wendy's to get a grilled chicken sandwich and a garden salad only to find when I got back to work to eat it they had given me a double-cheeseburger instead of the grilled chicken!!! I went ahead and ate it because I was famished and I had nothing else I could eat. But what I am proud of is I didn't let it cause me to go off plan for the entire day. And don't think it didn't cross my mind several times, because it did!

I am past that now and my next food challenge is dinner at a Brazilian restaurant tonight. I am in a dining group (yeah, not the best idea for someone who is dieting...but it's a great group of people and I really do enjoy getting out and trying new places) and we are trying different cuisines from A to Z. We've done Austrian for A and now is Brazilian for B. I really enjoyed the Austrian food much as I did when I actually was in Austria for a few days in 2004. I am not sure what Brazilian food is even like so I don't really know what to expect tonight. I am not worried though. I don't want to isolate myself from social situations just because I am trying to lose weight. My plan is to try everything in moderation. I want to enjoy myself without going overboard. We'll see how it goes!

Other than that, I am getting ready to run to Walgreen's to pick up my photos from the trip I took to KC back in March to visit my friends and their new baby. Then I want to get some scrapbook pages made for those pictures. I am also going to do at least 30 minutes on the Gazelle before I have to get ready to go out. Tomorrow will be spent doing some things around the house and studying for my calc final which is on Tuesday.

Hope you all have a great weekend!
Old 05-05-2007, 02:16 PM   #129  
742,000 calories burned

Sara-Welcome. My best advice is to take things easy. You can’t do everything at once. Try to change one bad habit or start a good habit one at a time. Think healthy first. Find a diet and exercise that you can live with, and never give up.

Xena-When you guys get to “C” I hope you try Cuban. Not being in Tampa anymore, I miss Cuban food. Brazilian has several different regions, hopefully the restaurant will be the one that features fish and root vegetables. If you get Southern, it will be barbecue mostly. If you get a chance, try the manioc.
Old 05-05-2007, 02:59 PM   #130  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by xena2005
I don't want to isolate myself from social situations just because I am trying to lose weight. My plan is to try everything in moderation. I want to enjoy myself without going overboard.
I feel exactly the same way and have been able to enjoy many many meals out and still lose weight. I try to avoid major quantities of food that looks like it is swimming in fat... Pay attention to what you are eating and in what quantity, but do enjoy yourself!

I've eaten at brazilian places where there is a LOT of meat. (guys walking around with it on skewers). If so, pace yourself. You don't have to try everything!

HAVE FUN!!
Old 05-05-2007, 03:43 PM   #131  

S/C/G: 412/TICKER/175

Height: 5'5

I feel bad that I haven't been able to do many personals this week, but tomorrow, I may be able to catch up! Andrew & I finally FINALLY decided on a plan that we like, and are going to try! We're going to try the Weight Watchers Flex Plan. We're not doing the meetings or anything, but we bought good foods, and we learned how to calculate the points in all our foods, and figured out how many points we get a day + the flex points for the week. We went through, and labeled a LOT of our foods, so we'd know right off hand, how many points they are worth. Should help a LOT.

Tonight, we're going to one of my good friend's 22nd birthday party type thing. I know where we're going to eat, and I checked the nutritional guide online, and already know what I'm going to order, and how many points it will be.

Weigh in tomorrow...probably won't be back in here tonight. Have a great night everyone!!!
Old 05-05-2007, 05:06 PM   #132  
Because I deserve it!

S/C/G: 315.4/311/165

Height: 5'11"

Catherine - I am hoping we do Cuban for C too. I've never had it but have seen shows about it on Food Network. It looks yummy to me!
Old 05-05-2007, 05:12 PM   #133  

S/C/G: 510/see tracker/160

Height: 5' 9 1/2"

Catherine: What a jerk that Cardiologist was to you. Luckily I had an awesome one! I think you should write that in the book so when he reads it he will see that his bedside manner was crap! Thank you for reminding me about the fluids. I would have forgotten all about it. I appreciate you always being my voice of reason! hugs.

Lesley: So glad you and hubby enjoyed/enjoying your time together. I hope you get the best doggie in the world. I adore them so much and I am so hapy you are rescuing one!

Sharon: Have an awesome visit with your folks and stay away from too many drinks!

Sara: Wwelcome back. Just jump right in anytime you feel like it. I really liked the ww flex plan. I did it for 6 months but it didn't work for me because my matabolism is all messed up. If you try it, good luck. It is a pretty good one that is easy to follow! My other advice is move your body if you can in some way every day. That really makes the difference.

Xena: I think you being in the Diners group is wonderful. What a testament to show you can lose weight and still enjoy your outings. Maybe when you reach goal you can write a dining out book? Have fun.

Kayely:" hope the weigh in goes wonderfully for you. Have fun at your party tonight!

I am taking it totally easy just like my Dr. told me to do. I am getting plenty of rest and kicking back. I can't wait to start working oput again Monday! I miss it already. lol. Hugs to you all and thatnk you for the sweet words. Hope you are all doing well adn enjoying the beautiful Spring weather. Hugs.

Blessings,
Annie
Old 05-05-2007, 07:06 PM   #134  

Annie i am so glad you are feeling better. ! we miss your posts so much when we dont hear from You1Ammie hope you are doing well as well and had a good time!
Old 05-05-2007, 08:20 PM   #135  
Learning to love myself.

Height: 5' 7"

Hello everyone. I am going to be a little selfish again and just write about myself again, as I want to get this out before I start to do some planning for school.

As many of you know, I have kept my weight off now for over a year. Well, at the end of March I started thinking about what I would do for each year that I kept the weight off. People had been talking about charm bracelets and adding a charm for a certain amount of weight they lost. Well, I thought I would buy a charm for every year that I have kept the weight off. I have been thinking about it on and off since then and have been looking around, but hadn't found anything that shouted out at me as 'perfect'. This first one needed to be 'special', and I knew I wanted a heart, because I had originally done this for my health (to live longer) and to be around longer for my love, Neil. So a heart seemed ideal, but I wanted a 'special' heart.

Well, yesterday I found it! Here it is... (sorry it's a little dark)

Hopefully you can see the design on the front. It is a locket with a scene of 'footprints in the sand' and a star. On the back it is engraved with "it was then that I carried you." Well, I know that the footprints in the sand poem is actually about God carrying you in your times of greatest sorrow and need, and I don't want to detract from that, but I also feel as though I picked MYSELF up in my greatest time of need and carried myself through this to a better life. The footprints in the sand also represent my 'journey' and the star represents how I feel now. I feel as though I am a 'STAR', and I reached my star. It all just came together when I saw this image. Inside the locket I have put a 'before' picture on the left and a recent picture of Neil and I on the right.

I am SO thrilled with this!!!!!

I plan on getting a new charm each year. The first 10 will go on a bracelet that I got from Neil for a birthday a few years ago and on my 10th 'anniversary' I will buy a new bracelet as well to get ready to start off the next 10 years. That is the current plan, and I am pretty happy with it.

The interesting thing is that I have NO doubt that I will be able to keep adding charms and bracelets. I just have this inner confidence that tells me that I can do this. What a great feeling to have! I recently had a moment where I wondered whether I had lost control of my eating as my weight had crept up and I kept blaming it on hormones and waiting for TOM to come. Well, TOM didn't come and the weight was still up. So I just got my act together and did something about it. I looked at what I was eating lately and wrote it all down. I don't do this all the time and I don't plan on doing this all the time, but I have realised that I will need to do this maybe a couple of times a year to bring myself back in and look at what I am doing. This time I discovered that some 'treats' that I had been allowing myself, such as a couple of little extra pieces of fruit and some sugar-free minties and some nuts, had actually become daily occurrences, instead of treats. Well, each of these would have come to over 100 calories each, so I had actually been adding quite a few calories to my day. Add to this the fact that I had been heaping my half cup when I measured my oats for my oatmeal, and heaping my yoghurt container when I measured my ice cream serving out, and you can see where I had been heading. These things hadn't happened because I was 'out of control', but simply because I had stopped being as vigilant and I simply really LOVE my food. I was really impressed with myself that I could stand back and tell myself that this had to stop and I had to do something about it. I didn't have to do anything 'drastic', but I had to be more aware of what I was doing for a while to break these habits again. The great thing is that it has been an easy thing to do. It is actually quite natural for me to NOT have these things, and I just had to be more conscious of what I was doing. I have taken out all of these little extras and have hardly blinked while doing so. I still have a LOT to eat, and am still loving what I eat. A couple of times after lunch I have wanted to grab some minties, but I am not allowing myself to. I am someone who needs to totally break a habit before allowing myself to indulge in that food now and again. Those minties, although sugar-free, where 17 calories each, so would add up throughout the day. Whereas I had convinced myself that 17 calories was 'nothing', SIX times 17 calories was something.

Anyway... getting back to my last point... This ease of changing what I was doing has given me the confidence that I won't go back to my old ways. I view food differently now and see the lack of nutrition in so many foods and the wonderful way my body responds to healthier foods and I simply don't want to eat the other foods any more. And when I eat too many of the 'healthy' foods, or healthier treats, I am not confident that I will be able to have a break from them without feeling deprived, or without wanting to binge or anything like that. This has been a VERY uplifting experience and VERY reassuring.

Thank you all for 'listening' as I go on and on about this. I am just pretty excited at the moment.

Still no personal replies as I truly do have to get some school work done that I have been avoiding lately. Last week I had three meetings after school and this week I have three days of professional development and two meetings after school. I won't have much time to get the planning done then, so I have to work a little today.

I hope you are all having a wonderful weekend.

Zelma
Closed Thread