Closed Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 08:07 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Default Old Hens 40+ And Ready to Lose #116

This thread is a sub-set of the 300+ thread.

This group is for those dealing with the challenges of having a significant amount of weight to lose and being fit which becomes harder after age 40. If you're an old or new friend and not over 40 and feel this is the place to post, jump right in.

We start new threads on a Monday
Old 03-19-2007, 08:28 AM   #2  

Good morning ladies,

I'm back. Not just from my mom's but from funkdom too. I just can't let funk keep me doing the healthy things for myself.

We had a good visit with mom. She's as goofy as ever. But she's happy. On Saturday, we drove in snow all the way. But the time we got there, there was a couple of inches of snow on the ground. We ended up spending inside all day. DB worked on getting mom's computer set back up and access to the internet. I snoozed in the recliner. The snow was all gone by evening. Yesterday we got out and worked in the yard. The place has a lot of old, very big trees so there was a lot of debris all over from the winter storms and the wind. I raked leaves, twigs and hickory nuts for at least 3 hours. I had piles of leaves and twigs all ready for DB to load into the utility cart, which he did for a pile, and then he decided to mulch them. I wanted to hit him in the back of the head. He could have told me that BEFORE I had raked my arms off. But I left piles of hickory nuts & hulls for my sister, who is going to visit next Sunday. She'll be pleased. I got home about 6 pm last night and promptly got in a hot whirlpool bath. That felt really good.

While I was soaking in the tub last night, I read an article in Prevention magazine about this lady who had overcome breast cancer and then lost 81 pounds by following LA Weight Loss. I mentioned it to DH and of course he wants me to join. I looked it up and they have an At Home and online program and its only $219 for the materials. But then I got to thinking about it, its all about calorie control. Why pay for that? Geez, after all this time, don't I know about that without having to have a nutritionist tell me? One of my biggest stumbling blocks is convincing DH that we don't need to pay for a program, that we CAN do this ourselves. He wants me to pay for a program and I guess, then he'll believe it. So I am going to try again without spending the money. I'd rather spend the $219 on new clothes. Or horse training.

This morning, I got up when the alarm went off. No more funkdom from exercise either. Did 35 minutes on the stationary bike despite my shoulders protesting somewhat.

And I've reset my goals in BalanceLog which is my calorie counter program. I am only going to set goals for each month.

Rosebud - I loved your post. Thank you very much for the boost. You are so right.

Valerie - So good to see you again. That is awesome about Gabe. I will probably be sending Spanky off to a trainer for 30 days in May. Another reason to get myself focused. Good luck with the job hunts. I think DH is going to commit to getting Raven today. Raven is a 2 yo rottie that has been in a shelter for five months. Danni, has made herself at home. She has decided that it is appropriate to sleep on the couch. Leather couch, thank you. I caught her this morning because she wasn't on her bed and I heard her come for the living room. I felt for a warm spot and sure enough. Little brat. Guess I'll be buying furniture throws.

Karen - Good to see you too. Good luck with all the interviews. What fun!

KarenNJ - Congrats about hubby. Did you get your stress eating under control?

Judy - Come on girl, let's get out of this funk. We can do this!!! YOU can do this!!!

Lilion, Heather, and everyone else - Time for me to get dressed and out the door.

Have a great OP day!
Old 03-19-2007, 10:17 AM   #3  

Unhappy

Good Morning Ladies!

Valerie! I was so happy to see your post! I've been wondering about you.

Confession time. I'm still not back on track. In fact I had a huge, greasy plate of Chinese food last night. With the home improvement I just haven't had energy for anything else. I never realized how obsessive I get over things, but it seems like I can only concentrate on one thing at a time and right now it's my house instead of my fat butt! I was on here lots and on WW.com and thinking about losing weight. Heck, obessing and whining about losing weight. Now I think about it while scarfing down ice cream. It's like I hit that 100 lbs and my brain said "DONE!" But I'm NOT done yet, darnit! I just haven't been able to shift back into weight loss mode and it's starting to wear on me. I know without a shadow of a doubt that my next WI will be up. I'm just hoping to have not gained back over 228. But if I have, maybe that'll be the shock I need. I don't know. It's very frustrating.

On the up side, my bathroom is getting slowly done. I only made one trip to True-Value, three trips to Wal-Mart and FIVE trips to Lowe's this weekend! We almost have shower walls. They still have to be caulked and nailed in place. They it's on to the dry-wall. Joy. With DH and I doing this it's like the blind leading the visually impaired. He's even less handy than I am! Actually, I'm pretty good at figuring out how to do stuff...but he's the man and expects to do the work. Fortunately, he takes direction well, but it's slow going.

Sorry, no more personals for the moment. I'm needing to get to work. Later ladies.

Last edited by Lilion; 03-19-2007 at 10:23 AM.
Old 03-19-2007, 12:32 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Lilion -- it's so true that this is all a big balancing act! My husband was ding great with eating and exercise, and then he started travelling every week for work and poof! We are working hard to establish his good habits and find good choices.

Rosebud is right that we have to banish that all or none thinking. You've prioritized your remodel of your HOME, time to get back and focus a bit more on the remodel of YOU!

Terri -- Thanks for starting the new thread!

From what I've heard of LA Weight Loss, the $219 is only a drop in the bucket. You also have to pay for these bars they sell, and there are other costs too. You've just saved yourself WAY more than 219!!! More clothes or horse training!!!

If you do need a structured plan to follow there are a lot of them that cost less. WW online is one. Or try some of the "new" diets out there. There seem to be some sensible ones. There's no shame in needing structure! Or course, there's no problem in creating your own either!
Old 03-19-2007, 02:23 PM   #5  
aka Karen

S/C/G: 299/293.5/175

Height: 5'6"

YIPPEE!! I think the stress eating is much more in control this week!! Happy Happy Joy Joy!! I did a nice solid 20 minutes of circuit training with aerobics and weights at the same time. I know it doesn't sound like much, but I haven't exercised in a very long time and I am gradually building up my resistance.

Lilion, try to go easy on yourself! A remodel is a highly stressful situation. I can totally relate to the lossing all that weight and now you're done thing. Don't get caught in that trap! It will sabatoge you every time! Good luck with everything.

Determined, I totally agree with you. I think we have all been on enough programs to know what to do. We just have to apply the knowledge and stick to an eating and exercise program we can live with for the rest of our lives. I think if we give it a really honest effort, we can do this!
Old 03-19-2007, 05:26 PM   #6  

Default Hi, I'm a newbie

Well, this is my first visit to this site. Like many, I've tried it all - WW, Atkins, lots of others. I weigh 320 and have been over 300 for several years now. I am 60 come June and recently had a real wake up call. My sister, who is also a big person, (like that euphemism?) had to have a cholostomy because she had an attack of diverticulitis. She survived, but it was a near thing, mostly because of her weight and size. She can have it reversed eventually but only if she loses at least 100 lbs. Not an easy task. It's not that I haven't realized how dangerous it is to have this weight, it's just that it has been easier to ignore the problem than to try to really deal with it. I have all the typical problems - hypothyroidism and type II diabetes especially. My knees ache and god help me if I have to get down on the floor or if I fall - getting up is a major achievement. (do i sound like I'm whining?) I've rejected the lap band/gastric bypass method because I have a family history of heart problems that make such surgery more risky. Besides, I often overeat for reasons not related to hunger. (I'm sure you haven't heard that one before.)
I'm going to a new doctor who is prescribing a drug to suppress appetite and who will see me each month to monitor my weight. I'm also going to use the Volumetrics diet which is new to me but I saw written up in the latest Newsweek and sounded good. I got the book and so far so good. I think it's actually something I can stay with. Has anyone here tried this one? 3 Fat Chicks was recommended in that article and in the book as a place for support. I'm going to check in regularly. I do not want to be 60 and still not have made progress in this battle. I can use your help.
Bearcub
Old 03-19-2007, 06:01 PM   #7  
Vortex

S/C/G: 330/see ticker/???

Welcome Bearcub!!! I haven't tried Volumetrics. I haven't actually tried everything, well, not recently anyway. I did that when I was young and then got disillusioned and stopped trying anything.

Thanks to everyone for the support. Rosebud, your diet sounds GREAT. I have been completely unable to cook recently, though (I mean "unable" as in it just doesn't happen). So as much as I'd like to say I'm going to cook my own healthy meals, that's not the plan for right now.

For this week, I've stocked up the refrigerator at work with frozen meals. I'm going to count calories. For this week I'm just going to set 2000 as my limit. The last time I lost weight that was where I started. I'd like to be at more like 1700-1800 as an average, but for now I'm not even going to average my days. Just under 2000 every day this week. Having pre-measured pre-cooked stuff at hand should make that easier.

Terri, I'm so glad you got out of funkdom. Lilion, Judy, I hope you can find a path out too.

Karen, how'd that interview go?

Karen, glad things went well for dh.

Heather, I hope you find some time to enjoy the last week of your mini-sabbatical. We just ended spring break, and I'm kind of overwhelmed. This semester should be a lot easier than it is.

Okay, folks, I'm going to try to check in to at least report whether or not I'm OP on a daily basis. I need accountability, that's for sure.

Happy Monday, everyone.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:21 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 289/288/170

Bearcub, Welcome. Your intro sounds like me--do we know each other, LOL. I am battling a lot of the same issues, have tried so many diets in the past that I've lost count. I found this site and the wonderful people who are here quite by accident. Because nothing is prescripted, I can say what I need to say or ask for help at any time. Hang in here with us and together we will all get healthy.
Cassie
Old 03-20-2007, 01:11 AM   #9  
Beam me up Scotty!

S/C/G: 310/218/140

Evening chickies!

Well, it's official...I made it to the next round! I'll have an all day event at the company on April 20 to interview with all the department heads.

The last few days have been quite an experience. Right before the interview I started feeling like I was getting sick and sure enough, it started kicking my butt that night. I've basically been without a voice for the last few days! I had to call in to work and they couldn't even hear me. I had to shout at the top of what was left of my lungs! I really can't afford another day out and I have to work tomorrow, don't know what the heck i'm going to do.

Terri, i'm so glad you're feeling better. It's a good thing just to get up and do what ever it is. One of the sayings that i've heard so many times is "Get the body going and the mind will follow!"

Lilion, Geez, I just can't believe it...there have been so many things that you feel, go through, say or do that seem just like me. Again with the obsessive thing and only doing one thing at a time! It's so bad at times, I have people that know me just want to slap me! I've been trying to work on not being so single minded but it's a toughie. I just can't afford that when i'm so overwhelmed with work, school, volunteering, me and then trying to find a job. Something's got to give! I just keep telling myself that a lot of this is temporary and i'm just doing it in the short term for a better long term.

Karen, Good for you on the controlling stress eating! And 20 minutes sounds GREAT to me!

Wyllenn,

Bearcub, Gosh, I just kind of stumbled onto this site, I never realized there were so many places writing or discussing this site! It's never to late! Let me tell you, I have bad knees too and at 310 I was in tears every morning when I got up I was in so much pain and let's not even mention after a day of work on my feet! That does get better! I can't describe the relief i've gotten.

Angela, 2000 a day is about what I was targeting for a while and did still lose weight. Think baby steps! Thanks for asking about the interview.

Hmmm...that reminds me, has anyone heard from "Babysteps"? I think that was her ID.

Cassie, Hi, I don't think i've seen you before. Welcome, if I missed saying that! Just curious about your "prescripted" comment, where does that happen?

Well, have a good night everyone!
Old 03-20-2007, 08:23 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Bearcub -- Welcome welcome!!! I'm trying to find out if there's a volumetrics thread around here for you to check out. In the meantime, I hope you find the support and inspiration around here to be all you could ask for. I identify with just about everything you said, especially the line about it being easier to ignore the problem than deal with it!

Hopefully we can give you a hand (and vice versa!)

Angela -- I did find a way to enjoy my last week. Yesterday for the first time ever, I had a manicure and pedicure. It was wonderful!!! They actually have these ultra comfy reclining chairs they put you in and you lie back and get pampered for 1 hour 45 min. And now I have pretty fingers and toes too! I can't believe I never tried it before! Well, okay, I do believe it. My first spa experience was not "fat chick friendly". One plus of losing weight is a willingness to try something like this -- though it IS a more "fat chick friendly" experience!

As for calories. I was very successful at 2000 calories when I started calorie counting at 282 pounds. I was pretty consistent about it, didn't exercise a lot to start and lost a couple pounds a week (on average) for quite a while!!

Karen -- Good luck with the job! April 20 must seem really far away!!
Old 03-20-2007, 08:31 AM   #11  

Hi ladies,

I made it through day one within my calorie budget and plan. DH was even more supportive last night. Actually, he gave me until November to see if this works and see if I achieve what I want and then he will be supportive of me doing lapband. He's seen me struggle so much the last 1-1/2 years since I started gaining again and not being able to turn it around. I can't believe that I've been fighting getting beyond this one point for almost a year and a half. Very sad. Look how much time has been wasted gaining weight and not feeling good about myself for it.

We're still contemplating the shower renov so no action there. Three different guys and three different opinions and prices.

I might have mentioned that DH was looking at another dog. He went to see her and the people didn't bother to tell him that she had been in a big dog fight and has a huge wound on her neck. He was really angry because he drove pretty far. Mainly, though he was very disappointed because he really liked what she looked like. However, he was concerned about bringing her into the pack because what if one of the others growled and she turned it into a big fight? Just can't take the chance. Too much unknown and untruths told. He really was heartbroken. I convinced him that maybe enough is enough for now.

Bearcub - Welcome to the group!

Karen - on making it to the next round. See comments to Lilion about balancing healthy lifestyle with busy lifestyle. Something we have to learn to do.

Lilion - Okay, take a breath and get a grip. Get your food back under control. One of the things we have to learn is how to adjust the balance when we get focused on other things. One of our biggest problems is that we let other things come first and our healthy lifestyle fly out the window. I'm certainly guilty of that. However, that doesn't mean that we can't adjust back for a period when something big comes up. Find a balance where you're working on the house and still doing healthy things for yourself. Plan it just one day at a time and don't beat yourself up.

Cassie - Glad you found us!

Angela - Sometimes there are periods where we just want to rely on the frozen meals. I know I did that a lot when I was single and it really helped control the calories.

Heather - Yeah, I figured there is more to LAWL than just $219 and its more about them making money than helping people really lose weight and keep it off. I think I have DH off that mindset now.

KarenNJ - Good job for getting the stress eating under control. Hey, 20 minutes is great. When I started on the stationary bike, I thought I'd die at 10 minutes. Heck, when I first started regular exercise years ago, to walk around the block was a major accomplishment. Just do what you can and keep building on it.

to everyone else! As I say every morning, I need to get dressed and out the door.

Have a great OP day!
Old 03-20-2007, 09:12 AM   #12  

Good Morning Ladies!

Bearcub: I'm glad you found your way here! I totally believe that having people to share the struggle makes all the difference~

Karen : on the job hunt and on the sickness! I hope you feel better really soon!

Cassie How did I miss you?

Breathless and Heather - Thanks!

Angela the precooked meals can be a lifesaver! Just watch the sodium if you are sensitive to it, some can be really high. I'm having Lean Cuisine for lunch myself today!

Terri I know you are absolutely right. Just because I'm busier than usual doesn't make it okay to freak out and start eating junk again. It's such an easy thing to fall back on. You deserve a big for sticking to your plan all this time and setting a goal before going with the surgery route. A woman I work with just came back from gastric bypass. She's still pureeing her food. Makes me even more sure it should be a last resort, but sometimes necessary. Sorry the new dog didn't work out. How's Bear holding up. Give him scritches from me!

I got up and had my oatmeal for breakfast today and got on the Infernal Machine for 10 minutes. I overslept. Not a big surprise when I got to bed at 11:30 and need to get up at 5:30 if I'm going to get the whole 20 in. Didn't even work up a sweat, but at least I can say I didn't blow it off! It's a start!
Old 03-20-2007, 09:19 AM   #13  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Hi BEARCUB . . . . . . Welcome to 3FC . . . this is a wonderful place for inspiration and support . . . you will just love it here, I'm sure, and you will be welcomed with open arms wherever you may decide to post. It is a big, big place, so have a good look around and just jump in wherever the spirit moves you and something catches your eye.

I'm Linda and I'm the one who mentioned 3FC in that Newsweek article. We don't actually have a Volumetrics Group on 3FC (at least not yet) but I guess I'm more or less the resident expert. It is a great plan for those of us who like to feel full . . . that's what initially caught my attention about it, I'll never stick to a plan if I'm hungry . . . it's also a good plan for a diabetic -- something else I know about; having been a practicing type II for about 16 years now and it sounds like we are in the same age group more or less (I just turned 64).

One thing we do have is a special Diabetes Support Forum and that's where I spend a lot of my time. It can really help to be able to chat with others who understand the special challenges you are facing. Please drop in to visit with us. Here's a link . . . http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=203 . . .

Also . . . feel free to drop me a PM if you have any specific questions about Volumetrics or Diabetes.

You have a great moving and shaking day, Chickie . . . and I'll look forward to hearing from you again really soon . . .
Old 03-20-2007, 11:04 AM   #14  

Default Thanks

Thanks to all for your welcomes. It makes me feel good to know I have some support out there. Thanks Linda for the invite to the Diabetes site. I will take you up on that. My sugar this a.m. was 147 but i forgot to take my metformin last night. The goodnews is that i am not hungry and not craving.i keep a journal of what I eat and what I plan to eat. That helps keep me honest. My downfall so often has been fast food because I'm out in the car driving somewhere and it's so convenient to drive through and grab something, so I'm trying to take something healthy with me to stave off the desire.
I've been donating a monthly payment to the YMCA for several months now so I should get over there and take advantage of what I've donated, huh!
I was in a workshop Monday about how important movement is to keeping the brain healthy and learning. The latest issue of Newsweek will have an article in it on how exercise helps build new brain connections and we discussed that in the workshop too. So there's every reason to get out there and exercise and make new brains!
I like the weight gauge at the bottom of some of your posts. Where do I do that?
Karen - Good luck on April 20. Sounds like you have the inside track on the interview process.
Have a good day all.
Bearcub

Last edited by Bearcub; 03-20-2007 at 06:52 PM. Reason: Add weight chart
Old 03-20-2007, 11:23 AM   #15  
aka Karen

S/C/G: 299/293.5/175

Good Morning Everyone!!

Bearcub!! I think you will find the motivation that you will get from this wonderful site is unparalled by anything else you have ever tried. I'm not exactly sure how it works, but it does! I guess it's it's the accountability? Or knowing we are in the same boat and it is equally hard for all of us? Whatever "IT" is, is just what we all need. Good luck to you on your journey for a healthy life!!

Lilion, looks like the effort is coming back. Like we all say, babysteps!! You have so much to be proud of already, just keep building on that!! You can do it!

Karen, good luck on the next level of interviews. It all sounds so positive, you must be excitied!

As for me, eating has started out very well today. I didn't get the exercise in yet, but I plan on doing something before the end of the day. Thank you all again for the kind words of support and to anyone I missed... to everyone!!
Closed Thread