Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 07:46 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Good morning chicks!

I just finished my exercise time with 38 minutes on the spinner cycle. I haven't done the spinner in months. Worked up a sweat. I figured if I'm going to get the scale moving again, I need to switch up and get more cardio exercise and get it done in the morning so that if in the evening, I don't have time or energy, I'm giving up the strength workout and not the fat burner. But I'm working on changing that anyway.

I even dug out my old journal and logged my food for the last two days. I've tried using the WW online journal for core and its not functioning the best. But at least I can go online and look things up. I'll just journal on paper and that way I can have something to review. Now the challenge is for me to journal every single day and get in that mode.

Valerie - Welcome back! I was getting worried about you. I'm glad to see that your back and ready for action. Hmm, chili for breakfast would have to be followed by Tums for brunch.

Thin - I best your exercise room is going to be very pleasant to be in. Sounds lovely. Maybe DH can be your coach on the airwalker until the treadmill arrives. for seeing new numbers on the scale. You're doing great.

Lilion - for doing 20 minutes on the I.M. Just keep at it. You're doing so great. Have you tried the yoga workouts yet? I'm thinking about adding the JMS to my collection to have for the "down" days.

to everyone else! I need to throw a load of clothes in the dryer, my oatmeal into the pot to cook, and hit the shower.

Have a great day! Let's make this year a year of accomplishment not regret.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:22 AM   #17  

Talking

Good Morning Ladies!

Terri: WTG on the morning exercise. What's a spinner? I hear about "spinning" classes and always just thought it was going real fast on an exercise bike. WW has been having problems with their site lately, their point tracker as well as core. How are you liking core? I think I'd have a problem with the "eating until satisfied" part. For me portion control is what it's all about. Some people are doing both, counting points while only eating core foods...they are calling it "Flore".

Valerie: I've eaten some weird stuff for breakfast (including cold liver and onions!) but it's not normally my choice. My DH would be right there with you though, especially now that he get's up at 2 or 3 p.m. His breakfast is often my dinner, so last night he had terryaki salmon! SO GLAD YOU ARE BACK!

Thin: Wish I had an actual exercise room...with more equipment. I'd really like to do some weight training. I'm feeling real good about the I.M., but I need some muscle!

Well all, I now have my alarm set for 5:45 a.m. HORRIBLE - but the only way I'm going to get in 20 minutes and not have to RUN to get to work! Today I did 21 minutes on the I.M. - Why such an odd number? I got to 20 and noticed that I was at .73 miles and thought "I can do .75 and have 3/4 of a mile in, I'll keep going." Then I got to .75 and saw I was at 20.4 minutes and thought "I can do 21 minutes - I don't want to stop on an odd number." So I kept going. Then I got to 21 minutes and thought "I have to get ready for work!" so I stopped! Nice part was - that 21 minutes didn't feel any worse than the 10 min did the first time I got back on three weeks ago! I'm kinda stoked about that! Never thought I'd be excited about exercise in the morning! But it's a very satisfying feeling.

I have more to say, but I need to wrap up. Hearings are being brutal today and I'm busy, busy, busy! I'll BBL though, with WI results. I expect no loss, but that's okay for now.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:08 AM   #18  

Smile Good morning!

Hello chickies, My computer has been acting like a wild child the last few days, so here is hoping I get this posted. There seems to be a gremlin living in there! Actually I think it must be my mouse, cause I keep losing my arrow, it just goes nuts

Today I started doing my annual cleaning out process. I tackled the Office first cause that is where most of the clutter is. Reciepts, old checks, etc. I have all of this craft stuff in the closet in here also. You know, stuff! Feels good to get rid of a whole lot of it. AHH

Now to get me organized and back on track 100%. I am doing better, but not as well as I can do. No excuses!

Ok, I am having a problem shifting to the next line now, so I am outta here for now. Later, I hope, Ruth
Old 01-03-2007, 12:12 PM   #19  

Yay! I'm down 2 pounds!

Could that whole exercise thing work?
Old 01-03-2007, 12:20 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilion View Post
Yay! I'm down 2 pounds!

Could that whole exercise thing work?

Nah. That's gotta be one of them urban myths!

Congrats! That's great!
Old 01-03-2007, 02:09 PM   #21  
Vortex

S/C/G: 330/see ticker/???

Hey gang. I'm finally back in Illinois and glad to be home. Lots to do to get caught up and ready for the new semester. Short post now because I've still got to run and return the rental car, etc. More soon.

Yay Lilion!

Good for you, Barbara.

Welcome back, Leah.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:22 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

good morning ladies!

The enter key on my laptop is acting a little finky. I am not ready to purchase a new one even though this one is maybe four years old. Ick!

I did my cardio exercise this morning. 45 mins. And the scale is coming back down bit by bit. I think maybe talking to the GYN about it and having her scoff about the "Welcome to the beginning of menopause" that I had gotten from my other doc has helped me have a tiny shift in my attitude. I think that since the gain started that I feared that no matter what I did, it wasn't going to have positive results. I'd keep trying but I wasn't, in reality, 100% committed. Its hard to be 100% committed if you're thinking in the back of your mind that it isn't going to do any good. Yes, it might be a lot hard but it doesn't have to be impossible. It won't be impossible. Another thing that kicked me right between the eyes was while I was watching Discovery Health channel on NYD, I saw a show about a woman who weighted somewhere around 600 pounds. They had various people talking about the "fat gene" and one man said, "check back with her in 5 years, 10 years, or 15 years and I'll guarantee that she will have fallen off the wagon". That horrified me. I felt so badly for that woman that he was making such a horrible prediction and then I thought of myself - well, he does have a point. How many times have I fallen off the wagon and regained? I have my father's family physique. How many times did dad lose considerable weight and then regain it and some. His sister too. His sister that died young, died overweight. His mother was overweight. I don't want that family legacy to be mine anymore. While I don't strive to be 120 pounds, I do strive to be a fabuously fit 180 and stay there.

Okay, sorry that got kind of deep for so early in the morning.

My goal for the week has been to do a longer cardio workout in the morning and that has been working well. I haven't been exercising at night because I haven't been getting home from work until 7 pm. So I've allowed myelf just to a few chores and then relaxing on the couch. My other goal this week has been to get my journal going again. I'm doing good at getting everything recorded. This weekend, I'll have to analyze that (I'm an accountant after all! ) to see where I can make improvements. I do believe that the Core plan is the style of eating that is best for DH and I. However, even though its "eat until satisfied", I am trying to eat until almost satisfied because of knowing that it takes 20 minutes to feel full. So far, I haven't been overly hungry.

Okay, now I must really get going.

Angela - Welcome back home! I saw your 21 day challenge - looks like you've got a good, positive outlook and determination! Yay!

Lilion - for being down 2 pounds! How's the work catch up going? (I'll explain about the spinner tonight).

to everyone!
Old 01-04-2007, 12:56 PM   #23  
aka Valerie

S/C/G: 350/345/195

TERRI, looks like you’ve really kicked it up a notch with using your spinner. I don’t remember you talking about it much before. Funny you should mention how when we THINK we’re trying, we aren’t always really giving it 100%, and that doubt in the back of our minds can be so destructive. Catherine, on the main thread, was just saying something very similar, and it strikes a cord with me because I’ve been the same way. It hasn’t done me any good in the long run, either, that I’ve had some bad spell where my weight DIDN’T go up. I get to thinking I can get away with slipping into too many bad old habits, and then I go from bad to worse. Our level of commitment usually determines the outcome, doesn’t it? I come from a family where everyone has a weight problem to one degree or another, and I can sympathize with your concerns. But you’re right. It may be harder, but it’s not impossible! I think that sticking with a support system, like 3FC or WW or whoever, that keeps some attention on your health and positive efforts is important. When we walk away from that support, we tend to try to ignore what we’re really doing to ourselves. BRAVO again on all that cardio!

As for the chili for breakfast, it wasn’t bad, but it’s almost entirely veggies. It just doesn’t stick with me the way it would with more meat in there.

Ah, RUTH, starting the spring cleaning early? I’ve been trying to get things more organized at home as well, but it was impossible while DH was home. He drops things wherever… and everywhere. L Very irritating. I hope whatever is messing up you computer fixes itself.

LILION, you cracked me up – “Could that whole exercise thing work?” Keep it up and let me know, k?

I may have mentioned that I have a new drinking buddy at work. We call eachother to remind each other to drink our water. I got a 44 oz cup and try to drink 2 of ‘em a day. It means 10 trips to the ladies room, but who’s counting? I was talking to her today and she pointed out how many times I used negative expressions to describe what I was doing, like “no sugar” no this, no that. She pointed out that this is a lifestyle change, a permanent one, and to speak in terms of ‘forbidden’ foods or I “can’t have _____” is self-defeating. On further thought I decided to focus on what I’m Doing, rather than what I’m avoiding or can’t do. So instead of thinking “No refined sugar” I’m trying to replace it with “I’m going to buy/prepare/have available more healthy & satisfying foods like my apples & special PB, or raspberries, or hearty healthful sandwiches, so that the call of the candy machine just isn’t as tempting. I’m going to make sure I have options – good options – close at hand.”

I’m officially working full time until further notice. That’s a good thing for my pocket book, but it means I’ll have to plan ahead and really show some more commitment to my exercise plan. It was a lot easier to get all that exercise in when I wasn’t working. There it is again, TERRI – so what if it’s a little harder? It’s not impossible!

Have a great day ladies! Don’t give up what you want the most for what you want at the moment. Plan ahead and don’t meet the McDonalds McDemons or any tasty temptations unprepared.
Old 01-04-2007, 02:31 PM   #24  

Talking

Good Afternoon Ladies!

WOW! This morning has been a BEAR! Not a cute little honey bear either - a big, mean, nasty grizzly bear! I'm ready to go home and it's just after 1!

Angela Welcome back! Tell us all about your trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by determined to succeed View Post
I think that since the gain started that I feared that no matter what I did, it wasn't going to have positive results. I'd keep trying but I wasn't, in reality, 100% committed. Its hard to be 100% committed if you're thinking in the back of your mind that it isn't going to do any good.
Boy does that sound right! I resigned myself years ago to being a BBW - I decided fat was fine! Fact is, having never been slim or fit, I've never believed I could be slim or fit, so why exercise? Why eat veggies? Why worry about it if it wouldn't change anything? I'm quite convinced that's why I've always regained every lb I've ever lost and another 100 on top of them, because even if I lost, I was never committed to keeping it off, never really believed it would stay off if I just kept it up.

Quote:
I have my father's family physique. How many times did dad lose considerable weight and then regain it and some. His sister too. His sister that died young, died overweight. His mother was overweight. I don't want that family legacy to be mine anymore. While I don't strive to be 120 pounds, I do strive to be a fabuously fit 180 and stay there.
My mother was a 300+ I'm sure. Dad was tall and slim, but he worked hard all his life. I've always been big, my brother struggles to keep his weight down too, although he's never gotten as big as me. Our family legacy is heart problems. My father died in his 70's of congestive heart failure after a heart attack and an 8-way bypass! My mother at 60 of a heart attack in recovery after an emergency triple bypass. At least two of my father's sisters have HBP or heart arrythmias. My mother's father and grandfather both died of strokes, her living sister has HBP, another died of a heart attack at like 40 years old. I have HBP, a heart arrythmia and aortic valve murmer. One would think that I would have taken better care of myself, huh? You know, I've always just assumed that (1) I'd live forever, or (2) that I'd have heart problems. It's only been recently that it occured to me that I might actually be able to maybe not prevent future problems, but at least lessen them with diet and exercise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLifeWithoutHorses View Post
I may have mentioned that I have a new drinking buddy at work. We call eachother to remind each other to drink our water. I got a 44 oz cup and try to drink 2 of ‘em a day. It means 10 trips to the ladies room, but who’s counting?...I’m officially working full time until further notice. That’s a good thing for my pocket book, but it means I’ll have to plan ahead and really show some more commitment to my exercise plan. It was a lot easier to get all that exercise in when I wasn’t working.
I have to tell you Valerie, I NEVER thought I'd ever be an advocate for it, but getting up in the morning to exercise is by FAR the easiest way to fit it into your day! That utterly shocks me to even read those words and know I'm the one who wrote them. I don't know what time you have to be for work, but getting up 1/2 hr earlier and doing the eliptical is the ONLY way I have ever stuck to exercise for three weeks running. EVER. When I get done with work I'm usually just tired to begin with and there's animals and children to feed and care for and a house to tidy and groceries to pick up and other misc. running to do...by the time I'm settled in for the night - I'm really settled in and don't want to work out at all! And that morning exercise also helps me get the water in! I end up drinking a 24-32 oz bottle in the morning because I've worked up a good sweat! Really amazing the change it's had in me!

Well, the bear is back - one more idiot to take care of for the day and then I can get to writing decisions for the idiots I delt with months ago! Got to go! and to everyone!!!
Old 01-05-2007, 12:57 AM   #25  

S/C/G: 262/252/135

Height: 5'3"

Hi All

I just wanted to drop in and say Hi. Its late and I need to get to bed so I will be back on Saturday to post more. Tomorrow I work all day and tomorrow night the family is taking me out for my bday. I will need to choose carefully to stay with my way of eating.

Leah
Old 01-05-2007, 08:53 AM   #26  
Hang In There

I hear you Lillion; This week had been a Grizzley Bear!! But when you work in the insurnce department of a doctors office and everyone has new insurance, not met thier deductibles, wanting to get in as soon as possible what did I expect? Add to that all the regular office DRAMA we constantly fight what ele is new?

But I did make it to exercise 2 mornings this week. I plan to do better next week. I've been consious of everything I've put in my mouth, I've dressed better for work, and I've actually done some extra housework! So see I am serious, I WILL CARE this year.

Valerie You have been missed. Glad you are back.

Everyone else, have a great day!
Old 01-05-2007, 09:32 AM   #27  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilion
I resigned myself years ago to being a BBW - I decided fat was fine! Fact is, having never been slim or fit, I've never believed I could be slim or fit, so why exercise? Why eat veggies? Why worry about it if it wouldn't change anything? I'm quite convinced that's why I've always regained every lb I've ever lost and another 100 on top of them, because even if I lost, I was never committed to keeping it off, never really believed it would stay off if I just kept it up.
Hope you don't mind if I jump in here! But this really spoke to me. Lilion just described exactly how I felt. Resigned to being fat. I loved other things about myself, but not that. I just figured nothing would work, so I gave up trying.

I keep coming back to the idea that commitment to the process is so important. I know when I started this lifestyle change in 05 that I wasn't 100% sure it would work, but I committed to trying to work at it and set a long term goal for myself. At the time I was 39, and the thought that came into my head one day was that "I want to be fitter when I'm 50 than I am when I turn 40." Something about the long term nature of that goal seemed important to me.

Commitment doesn't mean that I have to be perfect, or that I have to commit to a particular plan, but it does mean that I have to give it my best as often as I can.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:32 PM   #28  
Vortex

S/C/G: 330/see ticker/???

I hear you all, ladies. The defeatist attitude has been one of my worst downfalls. I have been, it's true, my own worst enemy.

I weighed this morning for the first time since I left town in Dec., and somehow... I really mean that... I'm back to where I was in July. I really didn't think I was doing so badly while I was with the family, but I can't blame TOM... he's on his way out... and I can't blame water retention, because I've been religiously drinking water for days now. So. Time to start again. I'm off to fitday to find out how many calories I consumed today, when I was "trying to be good" without counting.

Hope everyone's got great weekend plans.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:01 PM   #29  

Don't despair Angela - It's amazing how quick it can creep back when you aren't looking...but it comes back off too! Like all of us it's try, try again! We can all do this!!!
Old 01-06-2007, 02:06 PM   #30  
Michigan Old-Timer

Hi ladies!

Glad to see that we're all refocussing our efforts in the direction of DOWN and really giving a darn! So much of what has been said is so right on in my brain too. So often I say "I'm working on it." When in fact, I'm only thinking about working on it. The time is NOW to start really doing something.

That said, I'm glad the scale has been good to me. I've been watching Honey pack the food in again. Aparently the 'scare' of last Summer is far from his mind. I was hoping that "we" would be working on this together, but maybe I waited too long to jump on HIS bandwagon now and he's lost the momentum. Well, guess maybe it's time for ME to take the lead and just drag him kicking and screaming in the direction of healthy. His portions have gotten waaaayyyy out of line. There were like 30 meatballs left from New Years and he thought he would 'clean them up' for lunch! Finally I just said look, there's a whole big container left, don't you think that's an awful big portion? So he had half a plate full and then chips and dip!!! YIKES!!!! But, I will NOT give up. I'm not losing him to a dang heart attack because he's not taking care of himself..........and that's THAT!!!!

Ok, vent over.

I played "showgirl" yesterday and I have to give you my review of Freedom Writers. This movie is sooooo GOOD!!! It's a wonderful story, a real inspiration for changing the world. It's about a first year teacher in LA shortly after the Rodney King riots. She's young, niave, and won't take 'no' for an answer. Really good, To Sir With Love-type story. OMG, am I dating myself here??? It is a true story, BTW. If you get a chance, go see it. If not, put it on your list of things to rent in the future.

Valerie: It's so good to see you. Sounds like your job is treating you right. Do you like it?

Terri: Yeah, I'm gonna let Honey coach me on the AirWalker as he sits by and watches. You're doing great with the exercise. I'll get there one day.

Lilion: I keep reading about a night person doing exercise in the morning and it still amazes me. I can't imagine getting up and doing it but I'll keep pondering the situation. I'm soooo excited for your commitment! CONGRATS on the 2 pounds.

Ruth: Hope you get your 'puter problems fixed so you can come back for a longer visit.

Leah: Waiting for you to come back......

BarbG: Good job getting some exercise in this week.

Angela: How was your trip? Are you unpacked yet?

Karen: Waiting for an update on date #2.....

Gotta run. I want to finish the ivy in my workout room and get it cleaned up some so it can be used. It's been sorta the catchall room during the holidays.

See you all later. Love ya bunches!
Closed Thread