More calories during your period?

• I'm just wondering how others handle their eating during TOM. I am just starting today and struggling to keep my calories as low as I do on a normal day... I don't eat red meat all that often, but was really craving it for dinner so my calories are technically done for the day.

On the one hand, I want to respect my body, listen to what it tells me and nourish it. On the other, I can't be trusted to entirely do IE...

What do others do?
  • I've been working on this too. During TOM I am constantly hungry and craving sweet, then salty, then sweet, then salty, etc.

I've been finding it helpful to increase my calories a bit and indulge some of the cravings, but not go completely overboard. Totally depends on your needs and weak spots though- I'm sure my way of handling it would be immensely unhelpful for many other ladies. Maybe you could try a few different things and make notes each month to see what you have the most success with?
  • A week before your period starts, your metabolism is increased because of higher progesterone levels. During this week, you need to consume 5-10% more calories that you usually do when you're dieting.
    It explains the PMS cravings.
  • Another Idea is to have "healthy" options on hand for your cravings. Some ideas might be peanuts for salty, and fruit with caramel for sweet.
  • I do have lots of cravings and have a hard time keeping my intake within budget the week prior, when I'm PMSing. I haven't gained weight from it but I don't like that feeling of spiraling out of control.
  • During my period, I do t want to eat much of anything but the week before? I want to eat All The Food.
  • I'm with Sydney_2009 here.. I don't have much of an appetite during TOM, I think it's mainly cause of the cramps but a few days before I am on an eating spree and it didn't make sense earlier but now I know TOM is around the corner so I try to control.
  • I don't think I've really noticed a difference with my appetite during different times of the month, but I know that on any hungry day, I have an arsenal of meals that are huge and low calorie. I just go for the most volume that fits into my day and fits my cravings.
  • I count myself lucky not to regain weight when in this phase. Honestly I would get so emotional too (like bouts of deep despair). Which made me not care what I did to my body... I seem to have MORE of a handle on everything now that I'm on hormonal based birth control. (Oral based). There are of course health risks associated with that but at the moment, the massive improvements in my quality of life feel worth it to me right now. Obviously as i get older I will have to continue to re-evaluate.
  • My biggest thing is wanting red meat. Pre-diet, I would go crazy, having just red meat for a meal with no sides... just lots and lots of meat.
    I am only starting week 3 of the diet and TOM is now, but I am finding that the cravings aren't as bad as they used to be. I think that is because I am eating a more balanced diet.
  • I increase my dark chocolate it then gets rid of any cravings I have and then I actually end up eating the same amount of calories as I would at the rest of the time.
  • I have a really hard time with TOM and eating. As some have said, during my cycle I don't eat much because of some raging cramps (Paraguard IUD) but in the week leading up it's like a no holds barred extravaganza. I mean, McDonald's, Dunks, or stuff I don't even like usually such as candy or pasta. I've gotten some great suggestions here, I've tried upping my water intake and also treating myself to a healthier alternative but still fitting in a craving. It's not 100% there yet but I also just make up for any blowouts by getting back to the gym as soon as the cramps leave me alone.

This doesn't have much advice in it, sorry about that, but you're certainly not alone in your monthly troubles!
  • I have severe pms and rough TOM: cravings, cramping, moodswings... literally to the point of PMDD. It was bad enough that hubby called me werewolf and called pms/tom "meat week" because of my red meat cravings and moodswings. He joked that it wasn't safe for him to enter our home unless he threw in a bag of burgers and waited to hear munching.

Low-ogestrel birth control helped tremendously, then my insurance stopped covering it, and the replacement doesn't work as well. Now that I'm perimenopausal there are even more issues (the werewolf is back).

I'm convinced that I wouldn't have a weight problem (or at least would have a much smaller one) if it weren't for TOM hunger. I do extremely well 3 weeks out of the month and undo all the progress (and then some occasionall during "meat week" (which is also fatty carb week).
  • I do tend to eat more during my period. I find that I'm tired and emotional during that time and my weight problems are, unfortunately, tied to eating in order to fill emotional needs. I try to avoid it, though.