Old 03-24-2014, 01:00 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 245.5/245.5/175

Height: 5'5 1/2

Question Asthma and Cardio?

Hi guys. I've had athletic-induced Asthma since I was 10 (probably long before then, but wasn't diagnosed til then) and I have a hard time doing cardio exercises. I can walk on the treadmill but it's usually only for about 20 mins at 2.5-3.0 mph. I want to get to the point that I can run for longer periods of time to help boost my weight loss and to make me feel better. Any suggestions?
SummerRuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 05:01 PM   #2  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

i have asthma that can be triggered by food, exercise, cold air or odors...I have an inhaler and a preventative steroid inhaler but I don't use that one because I don't need it often...The more weight I lose, the less I need my regular inhaler also...

For exercise, cardio really makes a difference in my body composition...I use my regular inhaler before I get on the treadmill and keep it handy in case I need it again...Since I can't run distance due to my lungs acting up, I try to do intervals of run/walk...Run one minute, walk one minute, repeat as often as I want...I vary the intensity by running faster or running at an incline...But I've never had luck making the length of time longer that I run...I think the most I've ran was 4 minutes nonstop...I also run/walk outside if I can

I have to remind myself that I'm only in competition with myself...to do the best I can, work out the hardest that I can...and not compare myself with the girls who can run a mile without stopping or a 5K etc...My lungs will probably never get there and I have to be ok with that.

HOWEVER....I need to stress that this is MY experience...and everyone's health issues are unique...Check with your doctor. Use whatever meds are prescribed in the manner intended. Listen to your own body. Asthma is nothing to mess around with.
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 09:21 AM   #3  
Slow and Steady

S/C/G: 176/176/145

Height: 5'3"

SummerRuth, I'm going to second the suggestion to talk with your doctor and see what your options are. I've had asthma since early childhood as well and also take my inhaler before doing any sort of cardio activity- it's a huge help.
LovesToTravel is offline   Reply With Quote