Grocery Shopping Triumph

• I went shopping today for the first time in a couple weeks. You know how they say "stick to the outside aisles of the store?" Well, that was horrible advice for me. We got a new store in a nearby town I decided to try out. All the cookies, cakes, pies, and sweets were right between the produce and meat. I had to walk by it and fight not to buy it. I admit, it was tough. But I did win that battle.

Had to get it out somewhere since nobody at my house thinks it's a big deal. To me, I am AWESOME!! LOL
  • Congrats! Never go shopping when hungry....it never ends well.
  • At our stores in town, they also put the entire bakery section RIGHT next to the produce and meat aisles...whyyyy???

good job on resisting it!!
  • Quote: At our stores in town, they also put the entire bakery section RIGHT next to the produce and meat aisles...whyyyy???

good job on resisting it!!
    Ours too. Your like yay fruit... oh look cakes and pie...
  • Quote: Ours too. Your like yay fruit... oh look cakes and pie...
    This just made me laugh so hard! That is exactly how it was. I'm not much of a frosting person, but I felt like licking the frosting off of every cupcake they had. At least one or two of em.
  • way to exercise your will power!! My boyfriend asks me almost every night to bring home a frosty, a shake, ice cream something sweet. I usually can't say no to getting one for myself... sometimes I can... but just in case, I usually just leave room for calories in my daily calorie log so I can get something too. Last night I ate a strawberry sundae from McD's and got him a medium shake. Still was under my allotted calories for the day! go me!
  • Quote: way to exercise your will power!! My boyfriend asks me almost every night to bring home a frosty, a shake, ice cream something sweet. I usually can't say no to getting one for myself... sometimes I can... but just in case, I usually just leave room for calories in my daily calorie log so I can get something too. Last night I ate a strawberry sundae from McD's and got him a medium shake. Still was under my allotted calories for the day! go me!
    That's awesome! Go you!
    I haven't had a treat yet. I try to think of what would be worth it to me,but the more I think the less I want one. As long as that works I'll keep doing it. I'm really surprising myself with it. Never thought I'd be able to do that.
  • Getting through any grocery store is like navigating a mine field. I've tried the only do the perimeter approach. Unfortunately, they don't stock everything on the perimeter.

I have found that having a list is very important to avoiding the "bad" purchases. The only non-list items that I'm allowed are items that are either on plan and are on sale or else sale items of non-perishables like laundry detergent.
  • "Stick to the outer aisles" is definitely outdated advice for the newer grocery stores where I live too. I guess maybe they caught on lol. The only thing good about the layout of our store is you get more exercise walking, because everything is so spread out and weirdly organized you have to walk through pretty much every part of the store to get to what you want.
  • Good for you!!!
  • The grocery store I go to most often starts with an amazing bakery. The automatic door slides open and the smell wafts out. The next section is handmade candy! It's crazy. It's actually very clever from their perspective.

I get coffee, admire the cupcakes as inedible objets d'art and then move on. I go slowly and read the labels. There's nothing I can't eat on WW but I hate finding out that I've been eating HFCS without knowing it.

Good for you avoiding the danger zone. If it's not in the house you can't eat it.
  • Am I the only one that uses a shopping list?

If it's not on the list, it don't get bought! Gets you round the store quicker too.
  • I an G i think that only works for men , i always have a list because i shop the sales

i always walk out with an unplanned purchase , currently eatting mozerella string cheese ..... that was not on the list lol
  • I always shop with a list and seldom buy anything that is not on it. However, the list is more to prevent buying either way more perishable food than I'll use or not buying enough and ending up having to make a second trip than for impulse control.
  • SweetAsCanBe-

Good for you for your shopping victory, way to go!!

Ian-

I completely second your advice! Lists are the way to go. It shows discipline and it helps me stay within my budget too. Sometimes my impulsive comes out too, with purchasing a few things that I really want but truly don't need. That happens more when I go into the grocery store and am hungry.

I recently tried shopping from home using a major grocery store's website. They messed up my order a bit but are going to credit me the difference, which is great. I think that will be beneficial to me because that way I am not as tempted to purchase things I don't need. They have a circular online too. Also, I can view my cart total as I go along. I only wish that they accepted food stamps!

Have a good day everyone.