Old 11-27-2012, 01:26 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 238/213/150

Height: 5' 5"

Default How did you choose your goal weight?

Hello,

I am finally making some progress in my weight loss, but I haven't been under 200lbs in 6 years. And the last time I was at a "healthy" weight was when I was 7 years old. I really have no clue what weight I should shoot for as an adult. I have a large build and I'm rather muscular so I know that I'm not supposed to be 125 lbs, but other than that, I don't know.

How did all of you come up with your goal weight? Has anyone one else been overweight since the single digits like me? If so, how did you decide since you couldn't simply say, "Oh I want to weigh what I did in High School."

Side Question: And if you have been overweight for most of your life are you/were you able to picture yourself at "goal" when you started on your journey?

~T
Learning 2 Live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:48 AM   #2  

S/C/G: HW-267/SW-252/ticker/GW-180

Height: 5'2"

I have been overweight my entire life, so I am planning on my goal weight to change as I go. I chose this first goal weight for two reasons 1) It would make it an even 100lb loss and 2) it is 20lbs less than my lowest adult weight (and I felt awesome at 185). Once I get there I will reassess.

I have no problem envisioning how I will look at goal because my mother and I look a lot alike and are the exact same height. The only difference is that she has always been between 120-140lbs.
westcoast rosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:55 AM   #3  
Sarah

S/C/G: 350/184/180

Height: 6'

I had been overweight since the age of 9 so my goal weight was orginally determined by height/weight charts. As I got closer to my goal, I realized that the number given would have been to low for my frame and make me look sickly so I re-evaluated my goal, and when I hit 180 I saw that I didn't need to lose more...

Since I was always overweight, I couldn't even begain to see myself smaller
baker23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:18 PM   #4  

@ Rosa

I wish I felt awesome at 185, but I've had a negative self image for so long that I'm not really all that surprised. My mom and I have totally different builds so I can't really use her as a model. At any rate, your confidence is rather inspiring and you've lost so much weight already, you're doing an awesome job!

@ baker23

Yeah, I agree, those height/weight charts are way low. That helps in that I won't have to lose so much weight, but it would still be nice to be able to envision myself fit and healthy rather than lumpy and completely unable to do even one solid push up.

~T
Old 11-27-2012, 09:28 PM   #5  
Dependapotomaus, no more!

S/C/G: 259/168/145

Height: 5'4

I've also been overweight since a child so I have no idea what I look like at certain weights. I picked out the highest weight that would put me at a "healthy" BMI rating but I can always change that up or down depending on how things go. Right now at 169 I can see some of my ribs and hip bones so I'm thinking too much less than 145 is gonna look kind of icky.
Lambiechop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:17 PM   #6  
is a persistent thistle

S/C/G: 230/see ticker/133

Height: 5'6"

I've also been overweight my whole life so I just checked out the charts and took a stab in the dark. Right now I know that 140 isn't quite there but don't know if 135 or 130 will be it for me.

At the beginning I certainly wasn't able to picture how I might look at goal! Now I kind of can. But it's odd because I can only picture myself in a void, if that makes sense, not in relation to other people around me. It's very strange and I haven't quite figured out a way to really articulate what I mean.
Thistleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:22 PM   #7  
Nicole

S/C/G: 252/ticker/150

Height: 5' 10"

My goal weight isn't a weight. I want to get down to around a size 8, 6 at the smallest. I've been really thin though, so I know how I look at various sizes. That should put me somewhere between 150-170, I think. I also have quit looking at the weight in one amount to lose. Setting smaller goals works better for me. As I get closer, it will get easier to pin point a final goal.
Nikel1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:50 PM   #8  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

I picked the weight I was at when I was 27, before I got thyroid disease and piled on all the add'l weight.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:37 PM   #9  

@ Lambiechop

Wow 90 lbs lost! Congrats! I can't imagine being so close to goal and yet I also can't imagine myself giving up. Go fig. I'm actually afraid to use the BMI. If I look at the highest I can be before getting in to the overweight zone, I'd have to reset my goal weight to 148. I know it's only a 12 lb difference, but 160 already seems so far away.

@ Thistleberry

It's nice to know I'm not the only one who has this hazy idea of a thinner me. I create sort of a "fake movie version" of myself in my mind. It's not real, of course. And I almost sort of mentally design a body that I like and then shove my face on top of it. But it still seems impossible.

@ Nikel1979

If I were to look at it sizewise, I'd pick between an 8 and a 12. Yeah it's a range, but you never know how clothes will fit you. P.S. I like how your goal weight is a question mark.

@ EagleRiverDee

Congrats on being halfway to your goal! It sounds like it would be more difficult to pull off if you also have hypothyroidism to manage. BTW, I like your quote.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:02 PM   #10  
bilingual illiterate

S/C/G: 312/302/250

Height: 5'7

i picked the weight that i was 7 years ago, when i started to really get worried about my weight. that and i want to set my goals in smaller increments..50 doesnt seem as difficult as 150!
candytrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:49 PM   #11  
Maintaining since 2013

S/C/G: Sz 20/Sz 8/Maintain

Height: 5'11

I don't have a goal weight, it's a size but I am thinking of the time I was most happy with my body. It was back in college and I was involved in a lot sports and aerobics.

I was around 170 - 180 pounds and I bounced between size 10 and 12. It was a good mix of being physically fit with curves. I was built simliar to Laila Ali when she was boxing without the muscles (I'm in the process of developing those). lol
SunnySide99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:16 PM   #12  
New-b

S/C/G: 219/ticker/155

Height: 5ft

I didn't use any charts or labels.... At my height I should weigh like 105 and I think I would look sickly that small. I'm short and I think thick is sexy so I picked 175. Once I get there I will decide if I want to lose more.
WannaB2cute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:34 PM   #13  
Joe

S/C/G: 405/249.5/281.5/220

Height: 6' 0"

Like most of you, I too have been overweight almost my entire life. In high school I was 240. When I started college I was 260. In my sophmore year I joined Nutrisystem and lost 40 lbs. At 220 I was a size 38. I only have one picture of myself at that weight. When I look at it now, I think of how good I looked at that weight. But I remember thinking, at the time, that I was overweight. Its amazing how perspective can change! So, I picked my goal weight of 220 because I know its a realistic, attainable weight and I would be very happy at that weight. Now, once I get there, who knows. Maybe I'll re-assess and aim to lose more. But that really isn't important to me right now. All that is important is gradually losing weight and heading towards a goal. Goals can always be revised and adjusted to deal with changing situations.
joefla70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:05 AM   #14  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambiechop View Post
I've also been overweight since a child so I have no idea what I look like at certain weights. I picked out the highest weight that would put me at a "healthy" BMI rating but I can always change that up or down depending on how things go. Right now at 169 I can see some of my ribs and hip bones so I'm thinking too much less than 145 is gonna look kind of icky.
i could have written your post almost word for word LOL...that's exactly how i picked my goal weight and i've also always been overweight...and i think we're the same height too

i'm at 185 right now and i'm comfortable there...but i dont want to be TOO comfortable because i KNOW i have more fat to lose...i'm in a size 13 Junior pants and size 8 yoga pants or something similar...i dont wear jeans, i hate them at any weight...tops are L-XL i think although i hardly shop for clothes...i bought a men's size small sweatshirt the other month...bra is 36B but i should wear 34B, i'm just picky and dont like whats at the store

i'm wondering what sizes i'll be in if i can get myself closer to 150...will i have ANY boobs?
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:25 AM   #15  

S/C/G: S/C/G 290/Ticker/150

Height: 5'7

Hey this is an interesting topic!

I have also been overweight since I was young. My current goal weight is 150, but when I was actually 150 I was probably too young to think "oh yea I look great!"

I was always overweight so every weight was uncomfortable.

I chose my goal weight based on a height/weight ratio chart. It's kind of just to give me something to aim for and Im certain at my height I don't want to be any less than 150. Especially b/c I have a friend an inch taller than me who is around 150 and in my eyes she's a stick lol, I want to be a little...umm... volumptuous? Idk lol. As I lose weight Im sure itll change.

You're right! I can't really imagine myself at a lower weight! I mean... part of me can, and I have some pictures at a lower weight (still overweight) where i definitely think i look better... but at the same time i can't imagine me at my goal, not over weight at all, exactly where i want to be. Wow, it's weird. It makes me want to reach goal even more now lol
ASaladandaDream is offline   Reply With Quote