Old 07-24-2012, 09:26 AM   #16  

Height: 5'6"

Wow, alaskanlaughter! I'm impressed by your intervals and weight training! I'm sure that you'll reach your goal in good time.
Thanks for the encouragement, mortonpixie! It's inspiring to read what you've done/are doing. Super-fit
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAscreenwriter View Post
So far, I've been doing walk-jog intervals and plan on doing those 5x/week, with 20 minute kettlebell workouts after two of those jogs. I successfully met all of my jogging days in the last week, and did a kettlebell workout on Tuesday. Still a bit sore muscled from that one. Hopefully, I'll do #2 tomorrow.
I did #2 kettlebell workout on Saturday, and just did #3 today. I didn't go for a jog, though, because I've been the target of some terrible biting bugs as of late. I don't want anymore itchy bumps on my body! THE SOUTH.
RVAscreenwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:07 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 182/182/140

Height: 5'4

I came across this thread and decided to read through it. Sounds like a lot of kick butt women, not sure I can keep up just yet but would love to join! Workouts are my biggest downfall, I seem to find excuses why i can't get it done. BUT my plan is NO MORE of that. I doing pretty good at the healthy eating, but some tips or advice would be great for workout?!? I am getting married in March and REALLY want to shed some of this weight by december. Currently 5'4 at 182 lbs.
tona50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:03 AM   #18  
is a persistent thistle

S/C/G: 230/see ticker/133

Hey ladies! I'm back. The wedding was wonderful. I had such a good time! My friend did a beautiful job pulling everything together. Add to all that, I got a lot of nice compliments from people who haven't seen me in awhile. The groom even pulled me aside to tell me I looked radiant. Unfortunately, the lifting I'd done that morning combined with all the walking we did between the ceremony and cocktail hour combined with the two drinks I had and the hours and hours of dancing did a number on my body. I got back to the hotel and it felt like my whole body seized up. Every muscle was cramping and I was shaking like a leaf. I felt frozen from head to toe. I managed to drag myself into the shower and the hot water helped some. Still, I haven't felt quite back to normal until this morning. So glad I went ahead and took vacation days yesterday and today!

Today I plan to do a little jogging and maybe bust out one of my hula hoops later. Tomorrow I'll be doing Bodyflow after work. This is supposed to be my week of rest between phases in NROLFW so I'm trying to keep things nice and low key.
Thistleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:02 PM   #19  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

one of the ladies that i see every morning at the gym told me today that i'm such an inspiration to her because i am always there working out really hard that was so sweet of her!

i felt alot better today, DH worked on my legs last night and i got good rest...i can't take any medications before a workout (not even aleve etc) because it makes me break out in itchy hives during the workout...my doctor said it's just how my body metabolizes medications while i'm working out hard...

i ran 1/4 mile at 5.5 speed and then did intervals at 6.0 to total 1 1/4 miles...after i did my weights...scale is still reading 189-point-something but i expect it to go back up...it always does after TOM and then drops again right after TOM...but we'll see, maybe it will stick around

long long day with my students, all 64 of them today...plus staff meetings tonight...zzzz
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 12:09 PM   #20  
Less than 15 now!!

S/C/G: 220/*ticker*/145

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tona50 View Post
I came across this thread and decided to read through it. Sounds like a lot of kick butt women, not sure I can keep up just yet but would love to join! Workouts are my biggest downfall, I seem to find excuses why i can't get it done. BUT my plan is NO MORE of that. I doing pretty good at the healthy eating, but some tips or advice would be great for workout?!? I am getting married in March and REALLY want to shed some of this weight by december. Currently 5'4 at 182 lbs.
"I don't have time" is the singular biggest excuse for not working out. You DO have time, you just might need to re-order your priorities.

Things that have worked for me:

Exercise videos before the kids get up and before work (rent at the library for free or buy CHEAP on eBay)

Standing up during commercials and walking or jogging in place. During an hour show, you will have exercised for 15min!

Stand up from supper and immediately go for a walk. Take whomever wants to go, but don't even start the dishes, just get out for the walk.

Apply for a discounted membership at the local YMCA (they have a sliding fee). Take your headphones and plug in on a treadmill or elliptical DURING your favorite show. Oh, they also have free child care with your membership!

Any other things I can think of I will post here - or maybe we can start another thread?
mortonpixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 12:18 PM   #21  

S/C/G: HW-267/SW-252/ticker/GW-180

Height: 5'2"

I have been sick for the last few days and it crossed my mind to skip my run last night, but instead I went and rocked it! I actually ran the longest distance yet and then came home and did abs, arm work and squats. Looks like I'll need to be on my death bed before I miss a run! haha
westcoast rosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 12:24 PM   #22  
Less than 15 now!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskanlaughter View Post
one of the ladies that i see every morning at the gym told me today that i'm such an inspiration to her because i am always there working out really hard that was so sweet of her!

i felt alot better today,
SO amazing of you to be inspiring others!! I'm proud to know you! Those are some pretty smokin' intervals. Any plans for a 5k in the spring?? You SO should!

Glad you're feeling better - being sore is necessary at times, but can be hard to stay moving during!
Old 07-25-2012, 12:24 PM   #23  
is a persistent thistle

S/C/G: 230/see ticker/133

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortonpixie View Post
"I don't have time" is the singular biggest excuse for not working out. You DO have time, you just might need to re-order your priorities.

Things that have worked for me:

Exercise videos before the kids get up and before work (rent at the library for free or buy CHEAP on eBay)

Standing up during commercials and walking or jogging in place. During an hour show, you will have exercised for 15min!

Stand up from supper and immediately go for a walk. Take whomever wants to go, but don't even start the dishes, just get out for the walk.

Apply for a discounted membership at the local YMCA (they have a sliding fee). Take your headphones and plug in on a treadmill or elliptical DURING your favorite show. Oh, they also have free child care with your membership!

Any other things I can think of I will post here - or maybe we can start another thread?
This is some great advice. I do the commercial thing sometimes.

The best way I've found to combat excuses, whatever they may be, is to find exercise that I really enjoy doing. It is a wonderful feeling to ride around town on my bike. There's this simple joy in it; a freedom that you feel and maybe it's the speed and maybe it's the wind. Whatever it is, it's enjoyable. Sometimes I'd still rather watch tv. Sometimes I bargain with myself by saying sure, watch this program now but when it's done let's go out for at least 15 minutes. Typically 15 minutes turns into half an hour or more.

Biking, walking, hitting a birdy around with a badminton racket (if I can't find anyone to play with me, lol), swimming, hula-hooping, jumping rope, roller skating... there are so many things you can do instead of "formal" exercise. You just need to find what works for you. What sounds like fun to you?

Last edited by Thistleberry; 07-25-2012 at 12:25 PM.
Thistleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 12:27 PM   #24  
Less than 15 now!!

WestCoastRoasa - HA!! I hear ya! I have a bad back that goes wonky sometimes, and have literally hobbled out to the trail and then had a great run...not sure WHAT could stop us?!?

Opted for a run on the treadmill at the y last night instead of a bike ride in 105* heat. Shin splints have been plaguing me since I've been doing more speed work to prep for my race (that's THIS SATURDAY!!). No trouble with them last night, but I only went 3 miles.

Today: I took the kids on a walk to get out of the house before the temps soared to much. I have a date with my BFF tonight, so probably won't get an official workout in - that's okay, I'm technically supposed to be tapering this week - ie. taking it easy!
Old 07-25-2012, 10:32 PM   #25  
Lifelong Alaskan!

ive thought about doing a 5K sometime...but i've hardly ever ran outside...the impact has been hard on my knees the few times i've tried it in years past, enough to really discourage me from getting out on the pavement again...and also the outside air tends to aggravate my allergies and asthma...the thought of running outside in a 5K with "real runners" intimidates me as well lol

i had my usual workout this morning....worked all day with about 66 students...came home and took my boys to run errands for an hour and a half...cooked dinner...now to finish cleaning the kitchen

scale still reading 189 this morning so i guess it's gonna stick around for awhile lowest weight ever!!
Old 07-26-2012, 10:47 AM   #26  
Less than 15 now!!

thistleberry - enjoy your rest week! I love that you are lifting weights - your bones will thank you!!

alaskanlaughter - glad that low number is sticking around! Might be time to add something new to the "usual workout" to keep things moving along. Your body adapts to stress (ie. exercise) and the usual workout becomes not quite a workout anymore. Instead of running intervals, try interval hill climbs on the tread mill. Walking at an incline of 7% or greater is the same intensity as running - only it works different muscle groups. Try it!

Another horrifically hot day on tap here for us in Nebraska today. We did get a *little* rain last night - the first in over a month. Took the kids on a walk early this morning and plan to ride my bike (if not over 95*) or take a swim this evening.

LAST WORKOUT BEFORE MY TRIATHLON ON SATURDAY!!
Old 07-26-2012, 11:00 AM   #27  

Quote:
Sounds like a lot of kick butt women, not sure I can keep up just yet but would love to join!
Welcome, tona50! I don't think that you need to keep up. Just think of us as other women who are gettin' it done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoast rosa View Post
I have been sick for the last few days and it crossed my mind to skip my run last night, but instead I went and rocked it!
WOW! Way to go, westcoast rosa! I am trying to re-instill that do-it-anyway attitude in myself. I've been doing well so far, but I don't have my no-excuses mentality back, yet.

Good luck on Saturday, mortonpixie!

As for me, I did my kettlebell workout and am planning on the next one for Saturday morning. Tomorrow, it'll be a before-work jog.
RVAscreenwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:05 PM   #28  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thistleberry View Post
This is some great advice. I do the commercial thing sometimes.

The best way I've found to combat excuses, whatever they may be, is to find exercise that I really enjoy doing. It is a wonderful feeling to ride around town on my bike. There's this simple joy in it; a freedom that you feel and maybe it's the speed and maybe it's the wind. Whatever it is, it's enjoyable. Sometimes I'd still rather watch tv. Sometimes I bargain with myself by saying sure, watch this program now but when it's done let's go out for at least 15 minutes. Typically 15 minutes turns into half an hour or more.

Biking, walking, hitting a birdy around with a badminton racket (if I can't find anyone to play with me, lol), swimming, hula-hooping, jumping rope, roller skating... there are so many things you can do instead of "formal" exercise. You just need to find what works for you. What sounds like fun to you?
Thanks Thistleberry...I always welcome advice.....I think I need to get back into jogging! I loved it but just quit doing it. So this is part of my plan, want want to find some other things to add in...I'll just have to use trial and error!
Old 07-26-2012, 12:09 PM   #29  

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAscreenwriter View Post
Welcome, tona50! I don't think that you need to keep up. Just think of us as other women who are gettin' it done.

WOW! Way to go, westcoast rosa! I am trying to re-instill that do-it-anyway attitude in myself. I've been doing well so far, but I don't have my no-excuses mentality back, yet.

Good luck on Saturday, mortonpixie!

As for me, I did my kettlebell workout and am planning on the next one for Saturday morning. Tomorrow, it'll be a before-work jog.
RVA screen writter
Thanks for the welcome! I actually thought last night...do you really wanna have to NOT have anything to post except I sat on my butt all night! LOL. I got up and took a walk...only about a mile. Then I had to mow the lawn, which I'm kinda counting! I have an old push mower (not self propelled) took about an hour and I was dripping sweat after...so yup it was something at least. Today I take another walk\jog and get in a workout video if the kids permit!
Old 07-26-2012, 08:55 PM   #30  
Lifelong Alaskan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortonpixie View Post

alaskanlaughter - glad that low number is sticking around! Might be time to add something new to the "usual workout" to keep things moving along. Your body adapts to stress (ie. exercise) and the usual workout becomes not quite a workout anymore. Instead of running intervals, try interval hill climbs on the tread mill. Walking at an incline of 7% or greater is the same intensity as running - only it works different muscle groups. Try it!
when i hurt the back of my knee in the spring, i changed to doing hills....i would warm up, set the incline at 10% and do up to 15% and then back to 10, rinse and repeat for an hour...it burned calories but didn't do the same for my body that running will do...i enjoyed it though

the lady that i was talking to at the gym is one of the coordinators of a big marathon coming up this weekend...she was really encouraging me this morning to sign up for it, apparently she thinks i can run farther than i really can LOL but they are doing deci(?) marathons, very short bits of it like just over a mile length...i told her i might do that...i'm still thinking about it