Old 05-04-2012, 08:59 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 219/219/180

Height: 5'4"

Default Scared of the Scale!

Yeah, so, I have a digital scale at home, and I have not set foot on it in many months. I was weighed on Monday at the doctor's office, so I know what I'm working with, but I know I should also get a reading from the scale at home so I can use that number as my baseline going forward. Thing is, I'm not convinced it's accurate. Any way to tell one way of the other? Are digital scales usually known to be accurate? Plus my husband insists that there is no way to get an exactly accurate reading unless you weigh yourself at the same time of day every day or each time, because your weight can fluctuate up or down throughout the day depending upon what/when you've eaten, how much water you've consumed, etc. Is this true?
What routine do you guys follow when weigh-in time comes? How often do you weigh yourselves? Naked? Clothed, but no shoes?
Today is the 12th day of my new diet, which is not a specific or scripted diet per se, but rather an overall overhaul of what and how much I consume. Basic, common sense changes, such as small amounts of healthy foods during the day rather than a slice of pizza, no bedtime snacks, no late-afternoon snacks other than a fat-free yogurt, etc. So while I'm not expecting miracles here, I AM curious as to whether this has had any impact on my weight yet...but I'm afraid to be disappointed. Is it too soon to expect any results? It certainly FEELS like it's been a significant change, but is it really enough to make a difference?
GreytGirl33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:12 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 308/307/198

Height: 5'2"

Weight fluctuates from day to day (changes in water retention, etc), not just the time of day you weigh yourself. But generally speaking, most people find it best to weigh themselves in the morning, before breakfast, and to do the same each time they weigh themselves.

Digital scales are supposed to be just as accurate as analog scales, and if you're going to be weighing yourself regularly, it is best to use the same scales every time. Every scale is going to tell you a different number, but they'll all give you a pretty close reading of what your weight is. Just use the same set every time so that you know exactly what you're losing. Or you could just reserve your weigh-ins for doctor's visits.

Good luck!

P.S. It is def not too soon to see some changes; you've been at this almost two weeks!
Amy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:15 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 308/307/198

Height: 5'2"

P.P.S Weigh yourself as often or as infrequently as you like. Some people weigh themselves daily (if they're comfortable enough to accept that their weight is going to change daily depending on water fluctuations, TOM, etc, and that they're not going to see losses every day), some weigh weekly, others monthly, and some don't weigh themselves at all but take measurements instead. It's all up to you and what you're most comfortable with.
Amy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 02:28 PM   #4  
Long Hauling It

S/C/G: 365/208/190

Height: 6' 3"

Put a few things on it that you know the weight of: Food, Weights, etc. and see what is says.
shapedself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:10 PM   #5  
Nutritarian

S/C/G: 289/257.8/125

Height: 5'4"

I weigh myself in the morning after I use the bathroom. I try to wear similar clothing each time -- bra, undies, t-shirt, and jeans. You can do it naked if you prefer, just make sure your common denominators are the same each time.

I try to weigh once a week, but then I get antsy about wanting to see my progress. So now I just weigh whenever I feel like plus my weekly weigh in on Saturdays.

I also have a digital scale and I feel it is accurate to it's self. I often weigh myself 4-5 times to make sure the number is the same as sometimes putting a foot too close to the side or leaning too far one way could give it a different reading. I only keep the number that appears the most when I weigh and count the others as flukes.

You will also weigh slightly heavier at the DR's office since you aren't weighing right away in the morning. As others have said, your weight will fluctuate throughout the day.
Laifierr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 08:05 AM   #6  

I have a digital scale and I'm certain its accurate. Like someone mentioned, put a 5lb dumbell on it, see what it says. No dumb bell? Try a 16oz bottle of POP or water.

I dreaded my first weigh in, made me sick thinking about it. Then, hated the # so much it took weeks to do it again. Now I weigh frquently, just whenever I want to know. You'll start getting excited about it, it just takes a little time to get to that point.
BusyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 02:36 PM   #7  

I weigh myself nude, in the morning and evening. There's fluctuations due to food, PMS etc, but I take note of that. I was scared of the scale at my highest, I don't even know what that is because I got too scared.
I felt this way about trying on jeans, and a dress. I sort of hoped that it would be better than I expected, but nope I hated the way I looked in either, which is sort of the "worst case scenario." I wasn't happy, but hey now I know where I am at. I just tell myself that if I was thrilled I probably would not have to lose any weight! and I do still have a ways to go so, it only makes sense that I am not satisfied now.
2 weeks MIGHT make a difference. For some reason, it takes longer for some people to see the shift in scale than others, and if you do see a big woosh, its likely water weight woosh. After that big woosh, things slow down - that is what I noticed with my own body.

Last edited by pixelllate; 05-12-2012 at 02:38 PM.
pixelllate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 06:09 AM   #8  
Every step is progress.

S/C/G: 297/221/175

Height: 5'11"

I recently had this discussion with a friend just starting her journey as she was wondering how its possible to weigh 10 lbs less in 2 days.

I explained the water weight, clothing, timeframe, uneven flooring, etc.. uncalibrated scale.. blah blah blah.

I weigh myself every morning. I write the last 2 digits on my calendar. I've found my digital scale weighs me (in pajamas) roughly 8 lbs lighter than my Dr's office. I should probably get a new scale, but for continuity purposes, I'm holding onto it.

Anyhow, the daily tracking is really for my own monitoring. I don't consider it set in stone until I go to the Dr's for my monthly checkup. For the past 6 months, I always make my appointment on the the same day of the month at 1pm. I saw my doctor last week, and she asked me if I wanted to forego this month's appointment and she can just write my scripts while I was there.

I like having the consistent timeframe, length between visits, etc.. as it helps me regulate to some extent my workouts and my diet in accordance with my goal for the month.
RandomPaige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 06:14 PM   #9  
present!

S/C/G: 200/174/145

Height: 5'3"

Hi there GreytGirl33!
It sounds like you have a wonderful plan for moving to a healthier you... smiles.

I weigh only in the morning, after the first trip to the bathroom and before breakfast and shower. If I'm not home or forget and hop in the shower or eat I don't weigh.
If you've set up an exercise routine you may want to measure as well. In the end, it's not your weight, it's how your clothes fit that matters, so if you want to ignore the scale... I say go for it.
Spinach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:35 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 304/207.2/150

Height: 5'5

Before my journey I wasn't afraid of the scale I just forgot I owned one now I weigh daily but my official weigh-in is once a week on monday.
Meka150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:02 PM   #11  

Like other have said I usually weigh-in in the morning, after bathroom and before breakfast but in my undies. That way, you can't blame the clothes you wear or the water in your hair after the shower or anything else if you don't like the number you see.
I am terrified of the scale. I have a tendency to be discouraged if I don't see results fast enough so I try to weigh-in once every ten days. I think it's a good enough time for me to see at least a 2-3 pound drop.
100 days of me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:47 AM   #12  
Trying.....

S/C/G: 248/ticker/175

Height: 5'9

I usually weigh myself on Sunday mornings after I use the bathroom. Typically I wear a t-shirt and panties. I do hate weighing myself at that time of month because I will weigh 2-7 pounds more. I chose Sunday because that is when I start the week on my calorie counting app on my phone.
brvsfan99 is offline   Reply With Quote