Old 02-05-2012, 07:06 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 180/150/130

Default Want to get into running but not sure where to start...

Hey Ladies!! Hope ya'll are having an awesome weekend..

So, I REALLY want to get into running. There's something about it that really compels me to do it.. I think it's the being outside and can do it anytime anywhere thing that is a win win for me.

I know it's not easy and to be perfectly honest, I'm not even sure where to start. I don't even know if I can run!!

I currently do anywhere between 4-6 days of moderate intensity elliptical. I've been doing this in anticipation of picking up running. Now, I feel like I might as well just get out there and do it since peddling away on my elliptical isn't getting me any further in the running department.

For those of you who've started running, where did you start? How did you start? How far did you go??

I'm also mega concerned with how I look while I'm running. I don't want to look silly if I can only get a couple meters before I need to walk!

Any suggestions would be INCREDIBLY helpful!!!
JennaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:23 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 220/148/140(ATM)

Height: 5'2" on a good day

I highly recommend C25K (couch to 5k) it is a program dedicated to get you from couch potato to running for 30 minutes non-stop in 9 weeks! If you can already run for 2 minutes without needing to stop you can skip ahead and begin on week 3. If you want something more challenging you can go for C210K!

Its a great program recommended by a lot of new runners. They have podcasts and apps for it, or you can do it for free/no frills with just a watch and your running shoes.
DesertTabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:50 AM   #3  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

^^ Good suggestion.

Personally, I just started running as far as I could then run that far for a while until I felt like I could go further. Within 4 months I was running 3 miles non-stop, about 2 months after that I could run 5 miles, then about 5 months after that I did my first half marathon.

It's' all about doing what is comfortable for your body and finding a support system that works for you. There's a great monthly running thread over in the exercise forum too.
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 08:12 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

I just started running!

I got the Ease into 5K app on my iPhone first.
Then I went to my specialty bra shop for a good bra (I'm a 36GG, I can't skimp here.)
Then, of course, I ordered some cute running clothes from Skirtsports.com.
Then I went running. I do every other day and follow the app that tells me when to walk and run.
I just finished week 1 and did 2 days on trails, one on the treadmill. The trails felt best on my legs, and it was much easier to switch between the walk and run. On the treadmill i was forever hitting the up and down button.

Today I'm going to get fitted for running shoes. The ones I have aren't great.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:15 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 180/150/130

so guys... i just got back from RUNNING!

holy heck that was hard but I loved EVERY minute.

I alternated walking and jogging running intervals and covered about 2 miles in 30 minutes. It's not great but it's a wonderful starting point for me!!

Quick questions.. I stretched before but my calves were pretty achy by the end..

What stretches do you do before?
JennaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:35 AM   #6  
Starting over...again!

S/C/G: 298.4/see ticker/135

Height: 5'5"

I also would like to get into running, but somehow I don't think my 275 pound frame can handle that yet. I'll have to work my way to it. Good job for going out there and doing it today!
HealthyMeWannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 01:23 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 93/78/65 kg

Height: 172 cm

Good for you JennaR .... .... Be careful ... it can be addictive .
HMM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 08:31 PM   #8  
Sarah

S/C/G: 350/184/180

Height: 6'

Quote:
it can be addictive
Hah-aha extremely. I now get cranky if I don't run 4-5 times a week xD
I just decided when I was on the treadmill one day to try running. Fast walking is boring for me, especially for a long period of time. I could only do 2-3 minutes when I first started. But eventually worked my way up to 20 minutes and almost two miles(don't do that amount everyday tho), and could go longer if I really tried. I think it took me about a month to hit that point. I'm not a serious runner. I do it as something fun to incorporate into my routine. Occionally I'll go for a run around the park but mostly just stick to the treadmill at my gym

When I get down to my goal weight and stop losing, I'm planning on training for a 5k and 10k. Nothing stopping me now, just want to wait until then

Last edited by baker23; 02-05-2012 at 08:33 PM.
baker23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:34 PM   #9  

I started running in high school. It is the greatest feeling when you finish a good long run, especially after a stressful day.

Our coach always told us to stretch your calves by putting the ball of your foot against the wall and leaning into the wall. We did that before & after each work out.

Another thing he ingrained in us, don't stop. Sometimes you hit a wall and want to walk for a minute but each time you stop you're teaching your will power that stopping is ok and running is really mind over matter.

I just recently started using an elliptical because of knee problems and I really like it but nothing will ever be like that run.

BTW, I'm very busty too and one thing I do is wear two bras. I learned that in high school and it works for me. Another is form, I had the worst time keeping my shoulders still, which I blame on my innate urge to let my shoulders curl in to hide my chest. Coach would run behind me yelling how I was wasting energy by allowing my shoulders to move too much.

Hope that helps you!
BusyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:34 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 285/211/165

Height: 5'6"

The current wisdom is that stretching cold muscles is detrimental, and a walk or slow jog is all you need before you start running. However, stretching afterward makes a huge difference for me!

Starting week 5 of C25K tomorrow
juliana77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:16 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 206/165/140

Height: 5' 5.75''

I admire runners. They look carefree and sporty. The loss of two cups in my bra gives me less of an excuse. However I am currently sticking to the resolution that I might run from dogs, adverse situations, or maybe even the cops. I need a reason that rules out walking quickly.
Aunrio is offline   Reply With Quote