Career and weight loss.

• I was just wondering if weight loss has contributed to beneficial or even negative changes in the workplace for any one. I plan to lose the weight and maintain but I will also look for another job in a year or so. Did anyone notice differences in the job search or workplace?
  • I'm torn on this one. I've heard a lot of people say that they believe that being overweight was a problem with the job search. But they weren't at your current weight. They were around my weight or over. So I don't think that's going to be a factor for you. I have wondered if it's hindered me in the past. I do think that I've been fortunate to have made contacts and work with people that really respect me. My weight is never a factor in my job. But I'm very self-conscious at work because I'm the heaviest person in the office. There might be a few guys that are heavier. And I have to travel a lot for work so I have the plane issues. I'm so paranoid that one day someone is going to complain about me sitting next to them. But in terms of workplace hostility, I've never seen it. It probably depends on the people that you work with and the type of field that you work in. I'm in technology so we all sit at computers all day. It's the laziest job out there in terms of activity. Long hours and sitting at a keyboard. So I don't think they're very judgemental. Even the clients that I've been too haven't ever commented on my weight. So either I've been lucky or it's not as much of an issue as people probably think it is.
  • That's so true, industry could play a big role and so could gender. I am also in a relatively sedentary position in which I believe the stereotypes of women in the field aren't the kindest. Sometimes I feel the urge to sacrifice healthy decisions to get a little more work done. I almost wonder if the more successful, less fit individuals chalk it up to hazard of the work place. I just saw a study contributing increasing obesity in nurses to work hours and scheduling.
  • re:
    Here's my question - is it really the weight loss making a difference or side effects of being overweight that cause discrimination in the workplace?

When I say side effects, I'm talking about things like dressing poorly, no makeup, hair not done, etc. I see a lot of discussions about those topics on the board, so I would imagine quite a few of us suffer from them.

I want to think, that no matter how much you weigh, if you look sharp you should do better in your job or interviewing.

• Vex, that is true as well. In the age of Internet shopping, nice clothing availability in one's size may not be the problem it once was. In male- dominated fields I think it's unfair that guys often don't often have to maintain the same level of upkeep.
  • I'm not sure too ...

When I feel healthierand thinner I'm generally making more of a effort with my appearance ... so I agree with Vex ...

I'm a teacher and I've noticed that students discuss and make comments about my clothes, hair nails etc ... more than they use too and this can sometimes be a good relationship builder ...

I also think if you feel more confident all aspects of life, work and play are going to be enhanced ...