3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   30-Somethings (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/30-somethings-57/)
-   -   Aging denial... (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/30-somethings/251720-aging-denial.html)

LesnarsTXF5Diva 01-29-2012 02:50 PM

Aging denial...

So I finally hit the ripe old age of 31 last month. During late August-October, my Dr put me on Symbyax (an anti-depressant) for 2 months causing me to gain right on 50 pounds. A switch to another anti-depressant caused an additional 10 pounds. My resolution for 2012 was to be completely med free, so I stopped taking all meds just to see how long I can go without them or if it could be fixed simply by eating right and exercising again. Right in the midst of putting myself back on a regular diet/workout regimen, I was diagnosed with "gout hands" this past Friday. Off and on since I stopped the Symbyax, my right hand was becoming painful between my thumb & forefinger, and by this past Thursday afternoon, my entire hand had swollen almost to the point of resembling a baseball glove. The only other person I've ever known in my life to have battled anything with gout was my step-grandfather, and he was in his mid-70s. Is this something that can happen at any age?

Also, glad to be back to regular participation on the board! I've been away for a few years due to self-induced workaholism - I've missed you all!

inglesita64 01-29-2012 03:27 PM

You are not aging more quickly than any of us, nor more slowly. No doubt your hand will soon improve, and you will also soon be in the middle of a food/exercise plan that will make you healthier and will contribute to your general well-being. Being med-free is a great goal if you don't need the meds, but if you do --as you probably will, for your hand-- take them and watch any side effects to switch to a better med if they are not desirable. Good luck and welcome back on board!

alitorry 01-31-2012 07:27 PM

Wow, gout hands? sorry to hear about that :( I have a neighbor, probably in his 40s who has it in his knees/legs. I hope you get better soon! I'm guessing getting further on your weight loss journey will help with your gout to decrease quite a bit. I've heard it also has a lot to do with what you eat.

EagleRiverDee 01-31-2012 07:56 PM

You're just having a spell of bad health, is all. It happens to the best of us and doesn't mean you're aging faster or slower or anything else. I actually hate seeing people in their 30's and 40's complaining of "getting old" anyway because so much of aging is actually mental. If you believe you're getting old, you will. I'm more active now than I have been since I was 27, and I'm loving it! But I had my bouts. 3 years ago I sprained my ankle so bad (and it was weight related) that my doctor told me I'd have been better off breaking it. It took a year to get full mobility back. The next year, I herniated a disc in my lower back and was 100% disabled for months (again, weight related). Last year I broke my ribs in an accident (not weight related this time). This year- so far so good! I'm determined this will be my swing back into good luck with my health. :)

KayNicole 02-01-2012 10:59 AM

I am sorry to hear about your gout! My uncle gets it from time to time in his feet, usually when he is on vacation and enjoying rich foods or beer on a daily basis. It started in his 40's but I am not sure age has much to do with it. Your diet can fix it though. My uncle watches his uric acid by drinking lots and lots of water, eating fish and complex carbs. I am sure it affects people differently but drinking a lot of water will really help. Just remember that these things are reversible and age is just a number, it is how you feel that matters. Keep up the good work and it will pass. :hug:

JennaR 02-05-2012 07:18 AM

My brother in law suffers from this also and he's in his early 30's. From what I understand, it started in his late 20's.

Unfortunately, I do think that it is a condition that reflects diet. My BIL was told to stop drinking, eating rich food and to start exercising more. I believe he's lost 40ish lbs and hasn't had a flare up since.

It is incredibly painful from what I've been told but I don't think it really has anything to do with age.