Newbie to 30 Somethings!!

• Greetings!!

I'm Trena.. I recently turned 32 and I just made up my mind to be on a serious mission to lose weight!! Im engaged and we have a 2 1/2 year old boy.

My current weight (1st time EVER admitting this) is 299. This is my all time high.. And Im just sweeping under the 300's.

I've tried a few times to lose weight.. but I guess that I really never stuck to anything. Looking back now I say SHAME ON ME! I could've been where I want to be by now.

I committed to a 12 week weight-loss challenge with my aunt. It starts today! The pot is over $500.. And I WANT to win it. But I am going to need some help! I started weight watchers today. I cant really afford to go to the meetings but I have all the tools for the new system. Any suggestions for additional help would be greatly appreciated!!

I look forward to seeing what a forum can do for me.

Let do this!!
  • Welcome Trena!!
  • Welcome Trena! Good luck with your journey and don't hesitate to reach out for support. This forum has been a huge source of motivation and success for me this past 7 months. I hope you find the same success.
  • Hi Trena! I used to do WW before the new system and found skinnytaste.com to be very useful when it came to finding new meals. Good luck to you on your challenge!
  • Welcome Trena! This is a great place with wonderful people. Good luck to you and I know from being a mom how hard it is to put you first. But you are in the right direction!
  • This is a great place to find support and encouragement.
  • Hi Trena!!! Welcome to 30 somethings! Always good to have a new member.. I'm new myself, take a look around. Lots of great info on this site!!!
  • Welcome, great to have you here!
  • Hello Trena. Welcome to the forum. My advice to you is one that I am currently trying myself, let's see if it works. However I believe it worked once for me in the past. so here it is. Limit yourself to two portions of anything (milk, dairy, bread, fruits etc) an maximum 3 portions of veggies a day. cut out very sweet fruits like banans and raisins (oh and I love those...). By portion I mean the quantity that would fill a cup maximum (for milk), about 3/4 cup (dairy), 1 fruit (medium), 1 slice (bread, muffin)- thin slice that is. I'm trying not to touch bread at all because I find the second I taste carbs I'm going crazy, I want more. But the best advice, which I hope will bear fruit for both you and me, is to space these portions by intervals of time. Say you feel hungrier usually in the evening, then rather leave most for the evening. My scheduled is this - until 2 PM I am allowed to eat 1 small yoghurt plain, 1 slice of bread (preferably not), 1 cup of any veggie (boilt, of course or raw), 1 fruit (apple, usually), 1 cup of milk. If I need more I can have water. I took in the yoghurt, the apple, the cup of milk and a portion of spinach but I did not eat them all at once, I knew I would be too hungry thereafter. The bread I did not touch, thankfully. So I took in every element about every 2 hours. You can of course eat more than one element of the list you allow yourself at a time (within the interval of hours in question) but I prefer to remember that if I do, I won't be able to stick to my schedule. Now, I have abided by my "morning" allowance, and now, for the next 1.30 hours I am only allowed water (it's 3.30 pm where I live) - 2 liters. Between 5 and 8 PM I will only be allowed protein (boilt chicken or the like) and 1 small fruit and 2 liters of water. Water can be tea of course, but not juices etc... Nothing fried, nothing sweet (except for fruits...)... I find that after 8 PM I am no longer hungry... The point is to space the portions out as you see fit. My experience says that if I control and eat as little as possible in the morning (not starve, mind you), I find it less appealing to stuff during the rest of the day. Let's see how it goes. I am 187 lbs and I aim to lose a lot by May.... I should mention this "portion" think is not out of my head. it worked for me once, I lost 22 lbs... It's from a book but I'm not sure if I can mention it here else it would be considered avertising . So here I am this time, hoping not to lose 22 lbs, but 66. It can be done of course but one must have an amazing will. I am trying...