Old 07-12-2011, 11:49 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 190/180/144

Height: 5'6

Default PLEASR HELP! Need advice!

Tomorrow night is girls night with some ladies from work. We get together once a month at each others houses for drinks and food. Well, tomorrow night is pasta and pizza night. I am so happy with my accomplishments up to this point and have no desire to go out for a night of drinking and food. I would rather take my boys to the gym with me and save up my calories for a nice dinner and movie with my husband this weekand. I know with him, I wont lose control. Serously, get a couple of glasses of wine in me and I lose all self-control, especially with food.
I have also come to realize that a few of these grls are not people I want to hang out with. One is in her 50s and is a complete binge drinker and another couple of them are questionable alcohalics. Sorry I'm ranting, but they all smoke on these nights and I quit smoking and tend to have a couples of cigs when with them.... I hate that! What should I do?????
Shmoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:59 AM   #2  
ND girl

It is difficult to say "no" to people but I've started to use "sorry that doesn't work for me, maybe another time". If any of them press, just keep saying it. Don't ever do something that in your gut you know is wrong for you!
redhead14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:03 PM   #3  
Made of Starstuff

Oh no... so they're not only doing things that you're trying not to do further on (drinking to excess, smoking, overeating), but they're not exactly people that you want to hang out with?

It's okay to bow out, as difficult as it might be. It's okay to not to go, or if you do want to hang out it's also okay to go as long as you have a solid in place plan.

Don't drink. Don't even tempt yourself to drink with them. If they ask, you could always make up a story about your doctor telling you to cut down. Same goes with food, and smoking, too.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:04 PM   #4  
This means war...

S/C/G: 277/237/199

Height: 5'2"

I agree with the above advice but I would also add, don't leave them in the dark about your journy to lose weight and live a healthier life, chances are if you tell them what you are doing and why you don't want to join them maybe they will be supportive of your efforts and even join in in making healthy changes to girls night.

I know how you feel about the drinking and smoking, I'm recovering from some binge drinking myself and while I have not taken alcohol completely out of the equation I have for the time being until I can learn to control myself.
Mango30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:08 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 270?/See Ticker/185

Height: 5'9"

How about bringing diet tonic and gin for a new drink? Don't put the gin in it, but put some lime and it will look like you are drinking, so you can enjoy the company, but be in control.

My DH is a gin and tonic man, and I don't care for it. When I drink something I don't really like, I never overdo it. I love wine, and never can stop at just a glass
fattymcfatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:10 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 270?/See Ticker/185

Height: 5'9"

Also, what about making a healthy whole wheat pasta primavera loaded with veggies? That could be for you...
fattymcfatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:29 PM   #7  
I am in control.

Height: 5'9

Hmmmm...it sounds like you don't really want to be hanging around them anyway...so make something up! Or, like some others suggested, bring your own food and drink so you don't go crazy and drinks, cigs, and pizza!
Emme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:51 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 197.6/185.2/150

Height: 5'3

I think maybe you might have cramps tomorrow night...what do you think? lol
Angelique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 10:24 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 190/180/144

You Guys are great... and thanks for making me laugh. Well, as it turns out, I had to take my baby into the doc tonight for a really hight temp. He is pretty sick As much as I feel horrible about my little guy, I now can't go. Now I don't know what is worse... cleaning up vomit and complete lack of sleep or going out tomorrow. Unfortunately, I'm super stressed right now, and all I can think about is food. My husband threw is back out thursday and is not much help! Wow, if its not one thing, its another But I can say I went for turkey on wheat with some fruit and not the leftover chinese from my kids.....
Shmoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 09:04 AM   #10  

Height: 5' 8"

Shmoops - You have a handful right now! I like to keep lots of raw vegis ready to go in the fridge for when I am feeling like I really need to snack. I ate 3 cucumbers one day! Way better than snacking on something else though.
envelope is offline   Reply With Quote