Old 01-14-2011, 10:39 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 150.7/131/125

Height: 5'2

Default Weight Loss when you have a cold/flu?

So my lovely children have given me their chest colds. I have been working out every day for 1 1/2 weeks(treadmill) and say it has paid off.. Lost 4 lbs. I have now been hit by this cold and it has moved into my chest. I don't want to stop working out but feel I have to. How do maintain what I have lost.. I have been averaging 1150 -1200 calories/ per day. Do I reduce my calories intake when I am sick because of the lack of exercise?
Any advice would be appreciated!!!
tripletmomplus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 01:56 PM   #2  
little by little

S/C/G: 220/215/150

Height: Five foot two

I'm not an authority on the subject by any means, but as for me personally I would stop exercising until I got better and just continue to eat right. I just look at it as my body telling me something. I would not reduce your calorie intake because you already are not eating very much right now anyway, and your body needs extra energy that food provides in order to get healthy again.
Martina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 02:01 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

If it's in your chest - rest. Keep your calories the same, or up them a little. Your body will be working hard to fight off infection.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 08:03 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 150.7/131/125

Height: 5'2

Thanks for the advice ladies....!!
tripletmomplus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 09:56 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 140/150/125

Height: 5'5"

i caught something from my kids and have really not felt like pushing my body. i made the mistake (or perhaps not...) of doing bikram yoga last monday, and my wednesday had a full-blown sinus infection. it's better now (lots of garlic and cayenne, apple cider vinegar and neti pot - i don't like drugs), but haven't been able to really exercise. just starting to get back into it, but sleep is more important right now. don't worry about calories, your body is slowing down it's metabolism anyway to recover so if you reduce calories you'll slow it down even more. just eat when you feel like it.

i do notice that anytime i lose weight from not eating due to illness, it comes right back on when i start eating again. i've observed the same thing of my clients and heard the same thing from friends. so don't be bummed if you gain the weight back when you get better, it's normal!
beebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 09:57 PM   #6  

When I get a chest infection (most Winters I get a couple no matter how healthy I try to be) I stop running and going to the gym. But for me I like to keep up some walking, not so much for the weight loss but I feel heaps better after some gentle exercise.

Hope you feel better soon
Eruanna is offline   Reply With Quote