Old 10-01-2010, 06:06 PM   #16  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

xty-

I hear you on losing weight due to pain. I lost weight both because of chronic back pain and re-injury, my knees, and my feet. I also figured out what a toll my weight was creating for my overall health. I have a ways to go. My goal is 138.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 09:14 AM   #17  
On a Mission

S/C/G: 246/193/169

Height: 5'9"

Yep, I am in my 30s and have racked up injuries to my neck and shoulder due to accidents and unfortunately that's permanent damage. I also have osteoarthritis in my knees, elbows, hands, etc. I have the cartilage loss of a 50 year old in my knees and eventually they say I'll need knee replacements. My doctor also suspects arthritis has set up in my back as well. I will be getting that x-rayed at some point to check. Pain is like a daily thing. Sometimes it's bad and I have to stretch just to get the muscles loose enough that I can really stretch them. Honestly, I know there probably isn't a pain-free for me(meds have either not worked well or caused reactions, so tylenol is my option) but as long as I don't lose mobility I can deal with the pain. I just try to be grateful and do things when it doesn't hurt. I have gained so much weight since that initial neck and shoulder injury and as I age it gets stiffer and the arthritis gets worse. Losing weight might help but gaining any more will definitely hurt worse so taking care of my weight is something I can't afford not to do. I have a life to live and a family to care for, pain or no pain.

Last edited by 4star; 10-02-2010 at 09:16 AM.
4star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 11:27 AM   #18  
Manifesting

S/C/G: 307/286/170

Height: 5'7"

I'm sorry so mnay are dealing with health issues. Here's hoping for good days for all of us.
Curiously Joyful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 09:23 PM   #19  
Haters gonna hate

S/C/G: 187.5/175.2/140

Height: 5'3

i'm 35
i have hypothryroidism and that makes it really hard to control my weight gain. i have fibroid tumors and they make my period insanely long and extremely heavy. i also got painful shin splints taking boot camp.

the last time i worked out regularly was in 2007-2008 taking bootcamp twice a week and bellydance and yoga 1 night a week. on average i was working out at least 3 days a week; which is actually enough for me to see results. i stopped taking all those classes tho when i got shin splints in 2009 and the later that year i got a really bad period (from fibroids) that lasted 2 months. i havent worked out since. my period is still not totally back to normal and sometimes my cycles are 2 weeks straight and heavy bleeding. it takes a lot outta me. as for the shin splints i guess i can overcome that by doing yoga and low impact cardio.

it's been a really long break and i think it's time to get active. i wanna get back into walking and jogging and maybe do the elliptical again. i kinda like those activities b/c i see results quickly.
SunnyDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 09:28 PM   #20  
Haters gonna hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4star View Post
I have the cartilage loss of a 50 year old in my knees and eventually they say I'll need knee replacements.
My cousin is in her 40's just had a knee replacement about 4 mos. ago. she is in P/T now and uses a cane. it's crazy...
Old 10-03-2010, 09:33 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 169/141/110

Height: 5'2

I deal with depression and insomnia, which does affect my physical health sometimes. When I'm feeling run down I get in the pool for some water jogging and water aerobics. It puts less stress on my body, and it's fun!
annputation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 09:38 PM   #22  
On a Mission

S/C/G: 246/193/169

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyDC View Post
My cousin is in her 40's just had a knee replacement about 4 mos. ago. she is in P/T now and uses a cane. it's crazy...
I know, I feel sometimes like I was born old b/c I've had arthritis since I was a kid. I'm just gonna try to get as healthy as possible and push it off as far as I can. It is crazy to think about.
4star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 10:18 PM   #23  
Haters gonna hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4star View Post
I know, I feel sometimes like I was born old b/c I've had arthritis since I was a kid. I'm just gonna try to get as healthy as possible and push it off as far as I can. It is crazy to think about.
yea her's is arthritis and that is something i always associated with the elderly so i was shocked when she told me. well best of luck in finding what works for you.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:12 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 313/Going down/175

Height: 5'2"

I have issues and have had them for years: Hypothyroidism, Arthritis, PCOS and insulin resistant, foot pain, but, I can tell you after losing 70 lbs this last year I feel so much better. It's been a struggle, but, so very worth it. I've got 70 more to go and I know my life will be completely different then.
nepeanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 04:28 AM   #25  

S/C/G: 194/173/135

Height: 5'4"

I am going to be 34 this year and have more than my share of physical body issues I am trying to hurdle over to lose weight. The worst being an on-the-job injury to my left shoulder that I have been waiting to have surgery on for over 16 months. I also have sever carpal tunnel in my left wrist (also requiring surgery, but it too is job-related), I had surgery a couple of years ago to remove an ovary, half my thyroid has been removed, a back injury from several years ago and other misc. issues including asthma.

Losing the first 20 lbs. has greatly improved my quality of living. I am on less pain meds now (1 a day that I have to work) and the pressure on my shoulder is greatly improved. I still can not do any upper-body workouts. I have to modify jackknives and sit-ups to not cause more damage to the torn tendons. I mostly walk...going from just a 1/2 mile and dying to now: 5 miles and turning around to start cleaning house then going to work. I am even going to go do a 5k walk in November that I am really psyched for. Despite the pain, I have more energy and a better self-image...I think it's a good trade off.
jtedley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 09:31 AM   #26  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 197/ticker/136

Height: 1.65m

I think I have a bit of everything, and I shall try to remember them all here:

I have ME, fibromyalgia, a connective tissue disorder called Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome that means I dislocate my joints very easily (never under 5 times per day), osteoarthritis and osteoporosis. I have a kypho-scoliosis in my upper spine which causes referred pain and I have to be very careful which way I move at the moment as I can dislocate my spine. I don't have medical clearance to do any kind of exercise because of this, and even if I was able to I know that gyms will not have me.

I also have asthma, endometriosis, fluid in the pelvis, kidney problems, ovarian cysts, bowel adhesions... I think that's the set! At the moment I am stuck in a horrible spine brace with metal stays from waist to neck and I can only walk a few steps at a time, but I'm having more surgery in January to clear up the pelvic problems and bowel which should fix the kidneys too as my urinary system will start running only forwards instead of any going backwards into the kidneys.

At that point I will be making a concerted effort to find a gym that will allow me on the premises and won't charge a fortune for me to do 4 minutes on the cross-trainer cos that's all I can do before I flop back in my wheelchair, but provided I get dressed up in a thousand different braces I am pretty good at lifting weights, and would really like to be able to do that in a gym because they have a good selection, but they think that if I dislocate my wrist that is a big deal, which it so isn't for me. Ah well, it doesn't half motivate you to exercise once you've been banned for a while! Oh, and I am 33.
RoseRodent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 04:45 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 360/303/199

Height: 6'2''

Let's see... Compared to some, I'm fairly healthy...
Then again, majority of people seem to be of a better health than me.

I only have three major problems (and some minor ones to spice things a bit) so here goes:

I have osteoarthritis. The only place the doc's have been looking for it, is my knees... and they've found a bit too much.. IMO anyway. My left knee is in dire need of a replacement and my right one is not that far behind. The cause of the OA is not solely my weight, because it runs in my family... and I had serious knee problems (operated the left one 11 times) as a teenager. It seems OA is just a "side-effect" to that lil'thingy. I'm in constant pain and unfortunately... I can't take "normal" pain meds... Vicodin is ok, but it's losing its efficiency. And somehow prescribing stronger opiates is really hard for the docs... Then again, why should I need them? I've been on crutches for the past two years, and I don't do much except go to work, physiotherapy and occasionally swimming. It's not like I have a life...

Why can't I take normal pain meds? Well, my digestive system really doesn't work that well... I've got IBD (Irritated Bowel Disease) which forced me to a completely gluten free diet about 6 years ago. Large amounts of protein and fat also trigger it, so it's a bit of a wonder how I've managed to gain so much weight... (then again, my immobility for the past couple of years must be a factor).
There is also something wrong with my stomach/small intestine, but no-one knows exactly what... I have hiatal hernia and I've been on meds to completely stop my body from producing stomach acids for several years. I also suffer from small GI bleeds from time to time. And here's where the pain-med issue comes in: a lot of painkillers have anticoagulant features, and I know from experience that those features are extremely harmful for me.

Last of the "serious" issues is my mental health. I'm clinically depressed, and have been diagnosed as such for over 10 years. I've been on anti-depressants for 9.5 years, and probably will be for the rest of my life.
I also have an eating disorder (atypical bulimia, of all things) and some self-image, self-esteem and such issues... One could almost say that I'm not a happy bunny...

I guess that's most of 'em...

:facepalm: I forgot my allergies (mostly pollen, bees & wasps) that make going outside around spring and summer a bit of a challenge. I've got the meds for 'em, but still...
I'm also no stranger to plantar fasciitis. It's actually even visible on my xrays, so yeah... I have to use those special insoles everywhere.

I think this is visible in my profile, but in case it isn't:
I'm 31
JMsTyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 01:53 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 153/153/120

I have hypothyroidism which causes me to gain weight fast if I don't watch what I eat. It comes off slowly, too. I am on meds for it and just had them readjusted.

I also have myotonic muscular dystrophy. I was diagnosed with it right before my 30th birthday. I still manage to exercise but have to modify some of the moves. I cannot jump anymore and sometimes I walk with a limp when I am tired (I don't notice it but everybody else does). Somedays are worse then others. I hate that I cannot do what I could once do with ease. I try not to let it get me down because I am otherwise healthy. I also have a beautiful, healthy 6 year old daughter that keeps me too busy to dwell on it often.

Oh, I am 38.
redautumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 08:15 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 186.0/186.0/140

Height: 5"6"

Two years ago I broke the C2 vertebrae in my neck as well as my shoulder in two places and multiple ribs. I also have a nerve that is damaged in my back. All of these cause major issues and pain if I am not careful. The nerve acts up quite often.

I have found that the more strength training I do the better it gets. But does limit my jogging, and I will never be able to do a pull up again :-)
Peaches5577 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 09:16 PM   #30  

S/C/G: 244/244/190

I have hypothyroidism and numerous injuries: 1) last year I broke the tib/fib in the ankle, fib mid-calf, tore the ACL and medical meniscus in my left leg (At the same time and currently only have half an ACL in that knee. I'm 13 months into what my Doctor said will be a 2+ year recovery) 2) stretched out ligaments in my right ankle from numerous sprains (I get excessive movement in the joint now = pain & swelling & bruising) 3) a torn rotater cuff in my right shoulder, and 4) a bone chip in the left shoulder. I am always in pain and I'm only 30. I can't imagine how this will get better as I age.
crazy chloe is offline   Reply With Quote